PDA

View Full Version : Certain Cards with Memories

Yoda
11-15-2015, 02:34 PM
I think it was about 20 years ago and I was living in NJ. A small dealer was hosting a small show with Bob Feller, no surprise there, nearby and, of course, my attendance was necessary. I needed something for his autograph and dragged along a beat-up copy of his '54 Bowman. When I finally got to face the great man himself, he got to talking about the card, the water cooler shot as he called it. He always had a reputation of being pretty gruff but he couldn't have been nicer, talking at length about the Indian pitching rotation and how Herb Score would have won the Cy Young if he hadn't caught a line drive in the eye.

Cmount76
11-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Mid 80's and I am a die-hard Mets fan living in South Florida. I never missed an episode of Kiner's Korner or TWIB. I used to go to my local card shop multiple times as week, as it was located in the same shopping center as my mother's job.

Card collecting was always a self-indulgent hobby, as my family took very little interest in it, other than to buy me the newest Topps set each year for my birthday.

In the late 80's (don't remember the year), it was a shock that my father was willing to take me to a small local show at the Ramada Inn. Gary Sheffield, nephew of Doc Gooden, was there signing. While there, an old-time Yankee is also signing. Quite honestly, I don't know who he is, nor do I care - but I do know that he the sworn enemy. My father proceeds to tell me that I HAVE to get his autograph, if for nothing other than his crazy antics as Yankee manager.

He buys me a 1961 beater of Billy Martin for $.25 and the auto. (Can't get the file to upload)

My father took no interest in the hobby 30 years ago and hasn't taken any since, but that day and card will always stand out for me.

Cmount76
11-15-2015, 04:07 PM
After some help from Chuck Wolf (Thanks Chuck) with resizing, I can proudly show my most memorable card! :D

CW
11-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Cool stories, guys, and glad to help, Michael.