PDA

View Full Version : Insight into Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio Photos

Pickles
11-15-2015, 11:46 AM
The pictures came from a recent sale of a lot at RR auctions
The Williams got a JSA sticker, and is somewhat upsetting that it was placed on the photo when there is a perfect margin an inch below. That shows me a total lack of awareness on JSA which makes me question the sticker itself.
But I digress, this is about the signatures, not the TPA.

To me they look good. Maybe too good. I do not have enough expertise to weed out the "good forgeries" on the Mantle/JDM/TW which abound

Thoughts and comments re welcome. Any "clues" on what/how to tell details are also welcome

Duluth Eskimo
11-15-2015, 12:52 PM
They're both good

Pickles
11-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Thanks Jason. They do look good, but as I said, maybe too good. I feel a lot more comfortable on evaluating JDM and Ted, but Mantle continues to remain a challenge. I like these, so I might make an offer.

As a follow up side bar, I notice that PSA charges $100 for a Mel Ott, and JSA charges $150. Given that JSA is the #2, and has always ben a little cheaper than PSA (probably to balance demand) Does anyone have any ideas why they would charge 50% more on Ott? Ott is a $250-$350 autograph from what I see, it makes no sense to charge $150 for a LoA......

Duluth Eskimo
11-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Most people on here would say neither is one. For the difference in price, your guess is as good as mine. Ott can be tough to evaluate and I feel is easy to forge. I guess in the end the market will always dictate the price.

r2678
11-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Question about the DiMaggio... The photo appears to be light faded but the signature is still sharp and black. Is that typical of a sharpie?

Pickles
11-21-2015, 07:57 PM
The contrast on the signature is definitely strong. I studied the signature and it is a "real" signature, not a print, so although I can not tell you if it is a sharpie or equivalent, it is NOT part of the photo print. It has the "over/under" lines clearly shown and minor smudges. Not sure if that answers your query