PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper clipping scrapbook?

Snapolit1
11-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Bought a scrapbook of baseball clippings from early 1940s. Lots of great articles, box scores, photos. Kept by a young kid. Pages dedicated to his favorite players. Many hall of farmers. Is there any market for newspaper clipping type stuff?

GasHouseGang
11-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Who's in the Hall of Farmers? John Deere, Massey Ferguson? Sorry, couldn't resist.

jb217676
11-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Farmers Feed Cities! Put them all in the hall I say!

base_ball
11-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Sorry to say not much monetary value here other than the information contained within. And this is coming from someone who collected a couple hundred of these in the pre-internet days. I still love them as fan artifacts and have gleaned much knowledge from their pages. But generally they are a mess physically.

Leon
11-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Sorry to say not much monetary value here other than the information contained within. And this is coming from someone who collected a couple hundred of these in the pre-internet days. I still love them as fan artifacts and have gleaned much knowledge from their pages. But generally they are a mess physically.

+1. I love going through old scrapbooks and clippings. It is awesome reading the old articles and dreaming a 1933 Goudey Lajoie falls out.. :) But as stated the monetary value is usually very minimal...

Nashvol
11-15-2015, 08:42 AM
A few years ago I was given major leaguer George Archie's scrapbooks by a family member. Immaculately kept by his wife, each one contained clippings of various phases of his career.

I found his metal lifetime pass to any game, which I returned to his family. Anything paper, I was told, I could keep: the complete scrapbooks (there are six) and clippings), letters to and from various baseball people and organizations, several photos, and a 1944 World Series program which is probably the most valuable item of all.

Yes, the value is minimal, but to me the opportunity to study this wonderful man's life holds much value to me in so many ways. One day I'll pass them on to the local library or archives so others can enjoy them as I have...

Snapolit1
11-22-2015, 12:03 PM
thanks for the reply. appreciate it.