PDA

View Full Version : What is the most valuable card you have that you pulled from a wax pack as a child?

T206Jim
11-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Mine is a 1979 Topps Gretzky rookie. I have bought exactly one pack of hockey cards in my life, hockey wasn't so big in Texas in the 70's, and lo and behold it contained a Gretzky rookie. Of course, I didn't realize what I had until about ten years ago I went back through childhood collection and rediscovered it. It graded a PSA 7, the fact I wasn't a hockey fan probably helped preserve the condition. What is your story?

CMIZ5290
11-13-2015, 05:38 PM
I remember getting a 1970 and 1971 Topps Hank Aaron. I grew up in Atlanta and that was huge for me....

ullmandds
11-13-2015, 05:48 PM
nothing too spectacular for me...eddie murray rookies...call ripken rookies. not much between 76-77 and 82ish which were the main years I was tearing into packs.

opening 90-91 upper decks in college was kinda fun!!!!

Cliff Bowman
11-13-2015, 05:49 PM
1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan, but I was nineteen at the time. Wish I knew then what I know now.

ksabet
11-13-2015, 06:03 PM
1985 Mark Mcgwire USA card...I think I danced and screamed...I was also 10.

drmondobueno
11-13-2015, 06:10 PM
From what I remember, a '62 Maris #1, a double handful of Mantle switch hitter cards from the same year, and a pile of '65 and '68 rookie cards, which my ex's attorney probably has. 💊💊💊

slidekellyslide
11-13-2015, 08:51 PM
1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan, but I was nineteen at the time. Wish I knew then what I know now.

Heh...I was going to say this exact card and I was also 19 at the time. I pulled 6 or 7 of them. :)

mechanicalman
11-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Great question. Collected in late 80s, so mine was the 89 UD Griffey. I got butterflies when opening packs, revealing cards one by one, seeing a Rookies logo...

btcarfagno
11-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Gretzky rookie as well. Was sitting in the back of a station wagon (the waaaayyyy back....when people could actually do that) on the way back from a birthday party at age 9. Knew zilch about hockey at the time, but after I opened the pack, every other kid was trying to trade me for it. Being the same little obstinate prick that I grew up to be, I told them all they could go scratch.

Tom C

CurtisFlood
11-13-2015, 09:43 PM
I don't remember. All I remember is it seemed like Chris Cannizarro was in every pack in 1961 and 1962. I think a 1962 #5 Koufax may have been the big one, and most likely a Clemente from the same series. I didn't like them and quit buying cards because of the ugly brown design. So, no Mantle. All my Mantles came from flipping contests, some guys were stupid enough to use them instead of Marty Kutyna and Ken Aspromonte. Of course the condition was not good, making them OBC material now.

Sophiedog
11-13-2015, 09:53 PM
I remember buying 5c wax packs in 1966, 1967, and 1968. I remember getting one Mantle but can't remember which year it was. I can tell you that Mantle and Maris were pretty scarce because my friend and I bought a ton of packs and he got one Maris and I got one Mantle. Lots of Don Mossi's and Moe Drabowski's! We were pretty big on the 1c bazooka gum with the comics inside and Razzles Gum. This thread brings back memories.

Sophiedog
11-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Oh...and lots of Bo Belinski's too

DaveW
11-13-2015, 10:14 PM
All my childhood collecting was fron 1966-1970, so the most valuable were probably the Mantles or the 1969 Reggie Jackson rookie card. I still have them all.

Jeff_cvc
11-13-2015, 10:40 PM
I started collecting in the late '70's and early '80's. Probably collected from 4th grade through junior high.

I can remember my father telling me how he would collect cards in the fifties. He said they used to take their favorite cards and put them in the spokes of their bicycles. As you can imagine, growing up in New York, a lot of Koufax and Mantle cards ended up in his bicycle spikes, ughhhh!!! He also said that he kept a bunch in a shoe box, but when he came home from college his mother had thrown them all out.

I remembered these stories well and I protected my cards like a knight would protect his princess. Even though I stopped collecting in high school (my money was being spent on music, girls, and beer. Not necessarily in that order). BUT, when I left to college I dragged my boxes of cards with me. I lugged those boxes year after year, from dorm rooms to fraternity houses to apartments to my first home with my wife and to the home we are raising our kids in. Over all those years I kept the boxes sealed and protected. I never opened them once in all that time! It's really crazy when I look back at it. Well, about three years ago, my then 7 and 9 year old son found my box. I remember one of them running in to the kitchen holding a card and asking me what it was. Immediately my instinctual knight protector surfaced, "Don't touch those!" What I found when I went to survey the damage, were my boys chewing on 20 year old gum and gently laying the cards out. It was all at once a disgusting and beautiful scene (Don't ask me why I kept the gum!?!?). After calming down, I explained the importance of taking care of the cards and then we started to look through all of them. It was awesome. They were so curious about the players and the stories I told about all the great ones. Needless to say, this was the reintroduction in to collecting for me and sharing this hobby with my boys. Three years later we have all found our collecting niche. I now collect pre war, my oldest does mostly modern baseball with a little vintage thrown in and my youngest collects modern football with a few vintage also.

I apologize for the long story, but the thread brought back a momentous day for me and my boys. When we were looking through my old box, there was an album that I put my favorite cards in. We found 4 rookie Montana cards all in beautiful condition and a rookie Payton. I loved the Yankees as a boy, so I had pages of great Yankees, a second year Reggie in superb condition, which was one of the few cards I didn't pull from wax, but instead bought at a local card store. Anyhow, there were a lot of great cards, to many to mention and this story has probably bored you long enough. Sorry there is no climatic finish, it was just a snippet of my life that meant a lot to me.

BeanTown
11-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Wayne Gretzky Rookie

nolemmings
11-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Nolan Ryan rookie, although I was far more impressed with his card mate, a native Minnesotan who had earlier success than Ryan. Still, multi-player cards of rookies weren't exactly coveted by nine-year olds.

atx840
11-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Shown many times, my father pulled this from a pack when he was 9. I opened a lot of 80s & 90s junk.

http://i.imgur.com/SRJNc8a.jpg

Stetson_1883
11-14-2015, 12:40 AM
When I was about 12, I was constantly opening packs of 1991 Upper Deck baseball from my local Winn Dixie. One day I pulled a Hank Aaron Heros autograph, worth "$700" at the time according to Beckett.

I wound up getting on TV and made the newspaper. Here's the link to the article...

Im on page 11 of 52!:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1290&dat=19910907&id=SDBUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Do0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=3487,2882461&hl=en

God how embarassing to share with you all!

tjb1952tjb
11-14-2015, 01:15 AM
When I was about 12, I was constantly opening packs of 1991 Upper Deck baseball from my local Winn Dixie. One day I pulled a Hank Aaron Heros autograph, worth "$700" at the time according to Beckett.

I wound up getting on TV and made the newspaper. Here's the link to the article...

Im on page 11 of 52!:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1290&dat=19910907&id=SDBUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Do0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=3487,2882461&hl=en

God how embarassing to share with you all!

Very cool............thanks for sharing.

Frank A
11-14-2015, 07:06 AM
1955 Topps Roberto Clemente Rookie. was in my parents attic with some other stuff if mine. Actually finding my old cards got me started in collecting again in 1979. Frank

tedzan
11-14-2015, 07:44 AM
I went to my favorite neighborhood store. I put a quarter down on the counter and purchased 5 waxpacks. When I opened the last Topps pack....I was thrilled to find these cards.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/mmantle52t.jpg . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/52tchapmjeffhermspenc.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/1952TOPPSwrapper100.jpg

TED Z

slidekellyslide
11-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Nice Ted! Not many people here can say they pulled a 52T Mantle....probably not even most of the people here who actually got to open 52T.

tedzan
11-14-2015, 09:24 AM
I appreciate the compliment.

I'm probably the oldest dude on this forum....just turned 77 this month.

Take care,

TED Z

Edward
11-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Ryan '69. No fooling. I was only 4. Much older brother gave me an Ernie puppet for it. Had Bert. Needed Ernie.

Perception is the only currency that ever was.

Yoda
11-14-2015, 11:28 AM
A '52 Topps Jackie Robinson pulled from a pack from a drug store in Schenectady, NY where I grew up. When the word got out in the neighborhood, some bright light figured out it was the last series and we were in a good geographic location for its distribution. Well, the search was on for, you guessed it, The Mick who was already wildly popular with us Yankee fans. After some insane activity to drum up a few bucks to buy as many 5c packs as we could, I believe only 1 or 2 turned up. The lucky holders wouldn't even show them to us perhaps fearing mob violence. Seems like yesterday.

RTK
11-14-2015, 11:37 AM
My parents would buy me the occasional pack in the mid to later 60's, I recall having mid 60's Mantles. I still have my childhood cards, however my Mantles were traded for Cub's players to some of the older neighborhood kids. I still have Mays, Aaron, Ryan rookie, Banks, Gibson, Clemente. Those were great days trading cards on the porch when it rained and we couldn't play sandlot ball.

jboosted92
11-14-2015, 11:54 AM
great post...

1987 Topps Mike Greenwell, .......was 8 at time, loved the Gator....

1985 Topps McGwire.....

pops had gotten some 86 Topps Football packs and put them away "cause i wasnt into football then".....found them in 1992-93....pretty much crapped my pants cause thats when they had developed some value.... pulled a Rice ....i think i looked at that card 1000 times

RaidonCollects
11-14-2015, 12:12 PM
I've pulled some great cards out of some very scarce 1987 Topps packs :D:rolleyes:

My grandfather has pulled a Koufax rookie and a '53 Topps Willie Mays among other great cards.

-Owen

FourStrikes
11-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Bird/Erving/Magic, which I still have...ungraded, as are ALL of my cards

scooter729
11-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Not exactly a pack, but I bought the 1984-85 Star basketball set for about $12 when it came out. Not a bad investment for an 11 year old - the Jordan graded a BVG 7 and would sell in the $3K range.

iwantitiwinit
11-14-2015, 02:07 PM
1967 Mickey Mantle. Have always loved those 67's, those big photos and the great green backgrounds on the reverse.

bigtrain
11-14-2015, 02:16 PM
As a kid, I was buying cards from 1962 to 1969. So I guess my best card from that era was the 65 Mantle, a great card from my favorite 60s set.

Sophiedog
11-14-2015, 02:26 PM
The 1965 is my favorite set as well with least favorite being the 1962 set

ValKehl
11-14-2015, 02:26 PM
As a kid in Alexandria, VA, I bought Topps 5-cent packs from 1955 - 1960. I don't recall seeing 1955 Bowman cards being sold at stores in my neighborhood, but I guess they were, as I was able to trade for several. Topps cards I found in packs back then include 1955 Clemente, Koufax, and Killebrew; all the Mantle cards from 1956 - 1960; plus most of the star cards of that period. I still have most of the star cards, but when I started collecting again, I traded many of the commons toward older cards. Unfortunately, not many of these cards survived in top condition, mainly due to the games my buddies and I played with them in an effort to win each other's cards. The very few that I have ever gotten graded are ones I was willing to sell/trade - these included my 1955T Clemente (traded it at the 2014 Cleveland National, because the abrasion on Clemente's face bothered me every time I looked at this card) and my 1955T Mantle (still have this card, but I never liked Mantle's image on this card, although I think most collectors do):

kmac32
11-14-2015, 10:15 PM
1970 Ernie Banks card for me and also 1970 Reggie Jackson card. Still have the Banks and traded the bulk of my commons for a 1959 Dolan Nichols option/ no option cards and othe Cubs cards.

Collectorsince62
11-14-2015, 11:39 PM
1967 high numbers. Series six was nowhere to be found in my area of St. Louis so we just kept buying that seventh series, stockpiling the Seavers, Carews etc. hoping to find the elusive series that never showed up. I ended up buying the 6th series a year or two later for about five bucks from Larry Fritsch. The Brooks Robinson and the Red Sox team were two of the cards I specifically recall getting in large quantities.

Cozumeleno
11-15-2015, 06:17 AM
I remember it like yesterday - Doug Smith (basketball) 1991 Star Pics certified autograph at my local card shop. That was back when autographs were really first starting to surface in packs.

I believe it was around $100 at the time. Current book value? Somewhere around three bucks. No idea whatever happened to it - I'm sure it was traded for more shiny packs.

rats60
11-15-2015, 11:39 AM
1967 high numbers. Series six was nowhere to be found in my area of St. Louis so we just kept buying that seventh series, stockpiling the Seavers, Carews etc. hoping to find the elusive series that never showed up. I ended up buying the 6th series a year or two later for about five bucks from Larry Fritsch. The Brooks Robinson and the Red Sox team were two of the cards I specifically recall getting in large quantities.

This is funny because for me it was the opposite. I had tons of 6th series cards, but couldn't find the 7th. I bought mine from Card Collectors Co. The 68Ryan was probably my most valuable card that I pulled as a kid.

clydepepper
11-15-2015, 12:10 PM
I probably pulled a Mickey Mantle of two in 1964 - long before I took care of ANYTHING, much less 'a piece of cardboard'.

I'm much smarter now...,spend thousands just to insure the safe delivery of cards in the best possibly condition...I'm a lot smarter now...I'm a lot smarter now...I'm a lot smarter now...etc., etc....

mrmopar
11-15-2015, 12:54 PM
I guess it depends on when you priced the cards. If you are talking about current prices, today, then my best pack pulled card as a kid was probably the Bird/Magic RC. Sadly, I broke it apart like many kids did with those. Still have two of them in the "torn" 3 card format.

I also bought Topps hockey in the Gretzky RC year. Had no idea who he was but was dying to get a Gordie Howe. Didn't get either.

I bought a few packs of 86-87 Basketball and apparently didn't pull the Jordan card either (or someone stole it or ripped me off for it), but got the Jordan sticker and most of the other "rookies" from the set (Malone, Ewing, Hakeem, Wilkins, etc).

Then for baseball, maybe the Rickey Henderson or Eddie Murray RCs. I would consider my wax buying as a kid from 78-87. I bought a vending box of 82 T, so never pulled a Ripken RC from a pack (unless you count the Donruss and Fleer cards).

mettoy66
11-15-2015, 12:57 PM
A 1973 Mike Schmidt RC. I collected hot and heavy up to 1980. I ended up selling most of my cards and comics for beer money in HS. Live and learn!

brass_rat
11-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Sorry there is no climatic finish, it was just a snippet of my life that meant a lot to me.

Great story, Jeff...an enjoyable read.

I have some boxes of 87 Topps that I bought a few years ago just for kicks...and every year or so I open a few packs -- and I still try to eat the gym. Turns to dust and doesn't chew anymore...:eek:

Cheers,
Steve

pawpawdiv9
11-15-2015, 01:20 PM
collecting in the late 80-s to early 90s....my first was a collectors album from Sear with vintage hof'ers..I loved seeing them.immortals. Still have the entire album stored away. I was in the era of the 88-90 Donruss and Topps cards..loved the Topps better.
But i remember Me and my brother loved pulling Canseco, Bonds, Griffey, McGwire and Ripkens. Then we stopped in like 92 and then moved onto H.S. and college. Only now got back in a few years ago.

Wayne
11-15-2015, 04:26 PM
I started collecting in 1989. Upper deck was too expensive at the time and 1990 leaf was also too expensive so I would say the best card I pulled between 1989 and 1994 when I graduated would be 1993 leaf heading for the hall Nolan Ryan card to this day I also pulled a few Jeter Rookies back then but they only book for $1.50

Mike (18colt)
11-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Anyone remember the hoopla surrounding the '84 Donruss cards? I pulled Mattingly several years after its release, paying the seemingly ridiculous price of $5 for a wax pack. At the time, this card was "valued" at anywhere from $50-$100. Now? $5 for the pack seems high. 20-25 years made a huge difference (not just the hobby, but Don's career, too).

cardsfan73
11-15-2015, 10:24 PM
My most valuable pack pulled cards from childhood would have been a 1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie & 1982 Topps Cal Ripken rookie. They are both long gone as I sold them when I got out of the hobby in the mid 90s. I have since picked up nice Ripken rookie, but I still need to get a Montana.

Scott

chris6net
11-15-2015, 10:58 PM
I started buying cards in 1971 but I remember the 1972 Mets Team card as being the best card to have (I think 3rd series) followed by Tom Seaver in one of the later series

emmygirl
11-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Ok so I'm a dinosour. Turned 70 in July. All I can say is I had a ball with my cards as a kid. Me and my large bottle of Elmer's Glue made for some crazy baseball card memories. Oh how i wished Mickey was playing for my beloved Red Sox in 1955. I was ten years old. Yeh I had his card but I needed him on my team, you understand. So get out the Mick and the Glue. Using a new pair of school "saftey" sizzors I carefully make the trade of the year. Mickey's face on my Frank Malzone's card, perfect. Cut the name/ team from the bottom and presto Mickey is now playing centerfield with Ted in left and Jackie Jenson in right. Thanks Elmer. Also, hold onto your Vern Stephen's but in 1957 in 12 and need a halloween costume (only home made costumes in my home) my Mom say why not go out trick or treating as "Baseball Card Man". I'm not making this stuff up. Well, bring out the 52-56's and of course the Large bottle of Elmers Glue. An old shirt and pants and glue em on. Cards glued to an old baseball hat with flaps made from cards and I was Baseball Card Man. Final look as something like the Creature From the Black Lagoon. Oh being a Kid in the mid 50's was just great fun. Still have some of the 50's cards that Elmer never came in contact with, pun intended . Jim

bwbc917
11-16-2015, 10:02 AM
All the cards I opened from 1958-1964 live elsewhere these days. I swapped them to a student back in the 1970's. In 1960 I saved my money and bought whole boxes for $1.20 each.I recall loads of 1960 Yastrzemski cards at the time, I kept getting that rookie with the weird name. I also remember finding a store with high series 1962 and having bunch of those.

nascarht
02-10-2023, 01:07 AM
Shortly before Mickey Mantle died i went to a show near Houston where he was signing. That tells how long ago this was, about 1994. An older man, about 70 yrs old, was in line and not too talkative. Finally got him to start talking, he was going to have a Mantle card autographed and ask if it would make the card more valuable. I said, depends on the card and he ask if a rookie card would be more valuable. I said, hell no. And explained why. I ask him, do you have one. He said that his mother was still alive and had called him to ask if he still wanted his old BB cards. They were still in the closet. He picked them up and read about the Mantle show and was going to get an autographed. I ask, you found a Mantle rookie card in the box. He said he had 7 of them as well as Ted Williams rookies and others. Sounds unbelievable but i saw them. Never forget it.
Henry

brunswickreeves
02-10-2023, 02:43 AM
As a kid, I pulled a Chris Webber Behind The Glass # G7 from '93-'94 UD pack at a card shop in a NH mall. The owner offered me $125 on the spot for it. However, the Beckett price guide wasn't due out til the following month, so it's value was TBA. I thought I struck gold!

jethrod3
02-10-2023, 02:44 AM
For me it would probably be the Aaron/Mays/Ruth All-time leaders card from the 1973 Topps baseball wax packs. A PSA 9 mint card #1 sells for much more than I would have guessed.

obcbobd
02-10-2023, 06:27 AM
Must be the 69 Jackson RC. I bought a few packs of 68s but never got a Ryan.

JustinD
02-10-2023, 07:50 AM
Honestly growing up as a kid of the late 70s and early 80s, I don't remember getting very excited about the valuable pulls I had when I actually pulled them.

I would get excited about the big names I recognized and any and all Tigers. Rose, Ryan, Yaz, Jackson...those were the excitement. I had piles of 85' McGwire's don't remember treating them any different than Johnny Grubb as he was unknown to me. The big excitement was getting that yearly price guide the next year and digging through the card to find what rookies were gaining momentum.

I think my best win as a kid was not all the baseball rookies I had stockpiled but going into a tiny little card shop in Frankenmuth Michigan on a family trip and finding the black-markered overstock boxes of 1984/85 Topps Hockey. My brother and I didn't collect hockey and knew little about it. However, we were young and valued quantity over quality, just how many sets could we build as these discarded boxes were marked at a lowly 5 bucks each and we had saved a few weeks of chore money.

We each bought 3 boxes, ripped them and they sat. Then we went into a LCS in western Michigan and saw the Yzermans at 40+ a piece. Let alone the other great rookies in that set. Due to the size of that set, we had 30-40 yzermans, and piles of the other RCs. We ran the trading game for years just dumping dups at prime demand. At dollars on return, that was a windfall for a couple of paperboys, lol.

ClementeFanOh
02-10-2023, 07:57 AM
Interesting thread resurrection. The funny thing in my case is that, despite
my baseball leanings, my two most valuable pulls as a kid were the 76 Topps
Walter Payton rookie and the 80-81 Topps Bird/Magic/Erving. Sadly, neither
are still with me. Trent King

bnorth
02-10-2023, 08:08 AM
I never collected as a kid. In the early 90s I pulled some chrome Mantle insert that was worth a couple hundred at the time. I looked it up a few years ago and it is now a few dollar card. Still have it someplace.

Pulled a lot of Bill Ripken F Face cards back in the day. Those are by far the coolest.:D

fkm_bky
02-10-2023, 08:17 AM
Nothing too special for me. Ricky Henderson rookie as a kid, and then a Tom Brady numbered rookie as an "adult". Didn't think much about the Brady at the time and slid it into a binder. Found it about a year and a half ago and it helped me fund a T206 M. Brown purchase :)

Fun thread!

Bill

Rad_Hazard
02-10-2023, 08:33 AM
As a kid, I pulled a Chris Webber Behind The Glass # G7 from '93-'94 UD pack at a card shop in a NH mall. The owner offered me $125 on the spot for it. However, the Beckett price guide wasn't due out til the following month, so it's value was TBA. I thought I struck gold!

I have almost the exact same story! Mine was pulling a 1993 Ultra Michael Irvin Auto at my LCS and being offered $120 on the spot from the owner and turning it down. Still have the Irvin to this day!

guy3050
02-10-2023, 08:33 AM
Really can't remember mine probably a Lafleur or Dryden Rookie, here is my son's best pull when he was 8years old a Carey Price Ultimate rookie shield , he was wearing his Carey Price Jersey when he pulled the card

steve B
02-10-2023, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure, the two-three that turned out the best

1969, Reggie Jackson. Bought one pack, and opened it in the car sitting with dad, he mentioned that Reggie was pretty good. Somehow the card survived 5 years of the toybox and a move. I still have it, but it's a bit worn.

Collected mostly as a kid from 73-4 till whenever you figure being a kid ends.

all the better rookies from 74,
Missed Yount and Brett

Gretzky rookie.
Bird/Erving/Johnson - oddly also pulled from the one pack I opened. LCS guys said it was a great card, I should buy some packs. Bought two, got the card in the first pack, didn't open the other.

Still have them all.

jbsports33
02-10-2023, 09:05 AM
1980 Topps Henderson RC!

mrreality68
02-10-2023, 09:13 AM
some cool stories and pictures here.

sadly for me. I do not recall what I pulled or values. We just bought packs of cards, cracked them open so what we had and then

1. Traded cards
2. Flipped Cards
3. Put Cards in spokes.
4. fling the cards (for distance competition and other odd reasons)

BillyCoxDodgers3B
02-10-2023, 09:25 AM
I remember pulling an OPC Eddie Murray RC from a pack. What's odd is that the pack was purchased at a store in Hyannis, MA while on a family vacation. What was a wax box of OPC doing there? OPC were manufactured in my hometown, so it was rather funny that I had to travel to Cape Cod for this pack as opposed to just walking down to the corner store. In a very Zanadakian move, I still have all the cards from the pack, as well as the wrapper. Also in the pack were Nolan Ryan and Pete Rose.

lampertb
02-10-2023, 10:16 AM
Probably either an '89 Topps Jerome Walton (with the rookie trophy!!) or 1990 Upper Deck Kevin Maas. :D

stlcardsfan
02-10-2023, 10:17 AM
A 1976 Walter Payton RC. Submitted to PSA a few years ago and it came back an 8!

Yoda
02-10-2023, 12:30 PM
A Willie Mays from a '51 Bowman pack bought at the local general store.

Andrew1975
02-10-2023, 01:13 PM
1984 Topps Don Mattingly RC, pulled from a pack I purchased at Hall's Nostalgia in Arlington, MA. I was nine years old, but still remember how excited I was... even as a die hard Red Sox fan.

GasHouseGang
02-10-2023, 01:17 PM
When I started collecting again, I only had a small stack of cards left from my youth. Probably the best card in the stack was a 1973 Clemente. I'm sure all the others went into the spokes of my bicycle. :D

slidekellyslide
02-10-2023, 01:32 PM
Interesting thread resurrection. The funny thing in my case is that, despite
my baseball leanings, my two most valuable pulls as a kid were the 76 Topps
Walter Payton rookie and the 80-81 Topps Bird/Magic/Erving. Sadly, neither
are still with me. Trent King

Like a few others I also pulled the Bird/Magic rookie, but I did what Topps wanted kids to do and took the cards apart. I was 13, and where I live there were no card stores or shows, I had no idea that a nationwide hobby existed. How could you put this set together without taking the cards apart?

abothebear
02-10-2023, 01:59 PM
I spent a lot of my allowance on packs. I still have most of my childhood collection. i don’t think any of those cards are more than $8 today. Some of my better ones from the mid-80s are dinged up too much to be anything. Oh! I just remembered I have a Jerry Rice RC from a pack that survived the satchel bag I kept my football cards in. It’s probably worth around $25-$30.
35 years, almost a dollar per year in value gain! So glad I bought all those packs!

jethrod3
02-10-2023, 02:38 PM
I was just thinking....
Given that my wife is always reminding me that I still act like a child, I think it's totally valid for me to count the time a couple of years after we were married and she attended a National with me in 1994. At that show, I walked up to Mark Murphy's table, bought a 1986 Fleer basketball pack out of a freshly opened box, and proceeded to pull a Jordan rookie card. And of course I proceeded to act like a child opening a prized present on Christmas morning. Thus, I think this card should count!

ejharrington
02-10-2023, 04:21 PM
Gretzky rookies

LuckyLarry
02-10-2023, 04:28 PM
When my mother died in 2004 I made a final sweep of the attic to see if I could find any of my childhood cards before we sold her house. I found a 1967 Topps #163 Vic Roznovsky and a handful of 1962 Post baseball cards I cut from the box as a nine year old.
Larry

https://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=542&pictureid=35349

brianp-beme
02-10-2023, 05:10 PM
Like a few others I also pulled the Bird/Magic rookie, but I did what Topps wanted kids to do and took the cards apart. How could you put this set together without taking the cards apart?

Ditto, except at that time I did know that, as a collector, I should not separate them at the perforations. But I still did it.

Brian

LACardsGuy
02-10-2023, 05:13 PM
75 Brett or 76 Payton. Of course, I was 6 and looking for Garvey and Youngblood

Cliff Bowman
02-10-2023, 05:21 PM
I answered this way back with a 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan, as far as other cards a 1981 Topps Joe Montana in football and countless 1977 Dale Murphy cards in 1977 and Eddie Murray cards in 1978 in baseball. I remember buying several packs of 1979-80 Topps hockey cards and 1980-81 Topps basketball cards but I honestly don't remember pulling a Gretzky or a Magic-Bird-Erving but I probably did and didn't realize what I had. If I had kept all of the comic books I bought off the racks in the early to mid 70's and sports cards I bought from packs in the late 70's to early 80's in the same condition I could retire now, but countless others can say the same thing.

rjackson44
02-10-2023, 05:31 PM
Had tons of them ,,roses aarons yaz ..would flip them in the schoolyard got them at the local bodega union city nj...great memories

JCM2009
02-10-2023, 06:00 PM
Montana rookie

isiahfan
02-10-2023, 07:59 PM
1985 Mark Mcgwire USA card...I think I danced and screamed...I was also 10.

In 1985 he wasn't a big deal...or even really a deal yet!

terjung
02-10-2023, 08:05 PM
Joe Montana and Cal Ripken rookies

brunswickreeves
02-10-2023, 08:13 PM
I posted pic of my CWebb, which I've kept for nearly 30 years!

Rich Falvo
02-10-2023, 08:51 PM
Somehow, buying very few non-baseball packs, I pulled and saved Bird/Magic and Gretzky rookies. The Bird/Magic got an 8 and the Gretzky got a 4 when I sent them to SGC a few years ago.

ullmandds
02-10-2023, 08:56 PM
meh...i have no recollection???? 77/78 reggie jackson? 80 henderson maybe???? 2nd year montana? early jordan? Nothing too exciting.

Bicem
02-10-2023, 11:06 PM
Barry Sanders Score rookies

ParisianJohn
02-11-2023, 07:56 AM
When I was 6 in 1982 my father bought a box of Donruss wax packs and let me and my older sister rip them open. That was cool as the year before my father bought a box of 1981 Topps cello and said, "We're not opening these", and put them in a drawer in the living room. I still have those unopened cello packs 42 years later.

Back to the Donruss set and at the time I was more excited getting players like Pete Rose and Reggie Jackson, but I did pull five Cal Ripken Jr rookies, all of which I still have raw and in great shape.

For my birthday in 1986 my father bought me a box of Topps football wax packs. I was kind of disappointed as I loved baseball and only watched postseason football. But as I opened those cards, read the stats on the back, and created a separate pile of those cool and glossy "1,000 Yard Club" cards I became a football fan and started watching regularly for many years. While opening those packs I pulled 3 Jerry Rice rookies. Awesome! I continued getting football cards through about 1991 or 1992.

I had a small, square walk-in closet as a kid and stored all my cards on the floor in there along with my first generation Transformer toys. I left them there when I went to college out-of-state where I stayed after I found work. Whenever I'd go home to visit my parents I'd look at many of those old cards.

A little over a decade ago my father passed away and then my mother soon after. About six weeks after our mother's funeral my brother, sister and I planned to meet at our parent's house to pack up some stuff, meet an attorney, and meet a guy who would do an estate sale. My sister and I were coming from out-of-state but our brother was local. The day before we were to meet our brother emailed that he was sick and couldn't come, but said he'd stopped by the house by himself earlier. When my sister and I got there all my cards and Transformers were gone. Every single one. We called my brother and he didn't answer. After we were done for the weekend he replied and said he would return the cards to the house by himself the next weekend. No apology or explanation.

A few months later, as we got close to spring, we were to meet again at our parent's house as it was going to be put on the market. Once again my brother was "sick" and couldn't make it. When my sister and I got to the house I checked the closet floor to see that my brother had returned almost all the baseball cards (the 1986 Topps Super set was gone) but no football cards and no Transformers. To this day that rat bastard claims he never saw or took any of them, though they were all there at the time of our mother's funeral. Knowing my brother, I think he took everything and probably decided the Transformers, the oversized Super set and the football cards were junk and he trashed them all when returning the rest of the baseball cards.

My sister and I sometimes amuse ourselves and "plot" robbing his house when we know he's on vacation. If society wouldn't frown on it I may also kidnap his daughter and hold her for ransom for Jerry Rice and Optimus Prime.

Al Parker
02-11-2023, 08:23 AM
I vividly remember pulling a '57 Ted Williams from a pack and being thrilled. Only other cool card I recall in detail was the '59 Corsair Outfield Trio from the high number series. Don't where either of them are now, but I trust they found a loving home.

conor912
02-11-2023, 09:19 AM
My dad bought me a box every year for Xmas. In 1993 he got me a product I’d never heard of….Upper Deck SP. I remember pulling at least 4 cards of a guy named Jeter. I’d never even heard of him before, but I was 13 and a Red Sox fan, so Yankees were shit cards. I have no doubt they ended up in the trash at some point. Still waiting on that time machine….

2dueces
02-11-2023, 02:24 PM
1966 Namath was a fun pull. 4 1986-87 Michael Jordan’s between friends in 1990

ajquigs
02-11-2023, 03:06 PM
Great question. I think it would have to be 1973 Topps Schmidt. Still part of my ‘73 set.

todeen
02-11-2023, 10:31 PM
Not as cool as others, but I was 10 when I pulled KGJ, and 15 when I pulled Jackie.... when it still meant something to pull a relic card. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230212/1d73e03b9cac68e6817fa31c8196c05c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230212/ed739055d9db35cfc612e4b3533a4aa6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

67airborne
02-12-2023, 05:35 AM
Can’t say I remember what card was the best I ever pulled from a pack. Unfortunately my brain was clouded with wants of Detroit tigers. Any earlier 70’s Kaline cards. Of course getting those rookie cards of Ron Leflore and Mark “the bird” Fidrych were huge. When I was maybe 6 I guess I remember my mom taking me to Sears. They always sold crap that as a kid I had no interest in. So I would run around like a wild man in between all the clothes and most times would lose my mom and need to have the store call her on the pa. Anyway one time they were selling what in my mind I would like to think were complete sets of 1974 Topps. I’m sure now that I probably drove my poor mom crazy for that box of cards. I remember it being shaped like a complete set and when I opened it, it had all the Aaron’s at the front. Needless to say I pulled them all out broke them up into teams and proceeded to wrap them up with rubber bands. Years later I never found any of the cards that would of been stars of the time. I’m sure all the older kids I hung out with got anyone decent. But I had no shortage of Ed Brinkmans,Chuck Seelbach and Ike Browns.
On another note. I got one of those game used bat pieces when topps was doing t206’s years ago of Ty Cobb. I’m sorry but that thing looked like a wood chip out of the flower bed. Lol
I gave my dad some 90’s hockey cards and he took an interest in it and he bought a couple packs. They were older packs and the first one he opens pulls out a Wayne Gretzky auto. After he passed I had it graded to preserve it and it sits on my sons self now. All of my dads cards from the 40-50’s his brother took after he went in the army.

DVCARDS
02-12-2023, 06:39 AM
My big years for ripping open packs was mid to late 60's. Being a Mets fan I was excited to get any Met plus any of the big stars like Mantle, Mays, Aaron. When a new series came out my parents would let me get a box. Dont remember maybe there were 24 packs to a box. Was always trying to get the cards I didnt have by flipping or trading. Doubles ended up in bike spokes. Fun times.

egri
02-12-2023, 06:56 AM
Most valuable that I pulled as a kid was probably Cal Ripken Jr. Topps and Donruss rookie cards that I pulled in 2007 buying wax packs. I bought so many packs it would have been cheaper to just buy them outright, but 12 year old me was deadset on getting them the old fashioned way.

ValKehl
02-12-2023, 09:16 PM
Probably this Mantle card, which I sold in December 2021 REA auction:

Bigdaddy
02-12-2023, 09:39 PM
I started ripping wax in 1977 and though some years were more focused than others, quit around 1989. Not sure what the most valuable card I pulled from a wax/cello/rack pack was, but I guarantee that it was worth more when I pulled it than it is now. In the 1980's, pulling a Mattingly, Strawberry, Gooden, Ripken, UD Griffey or other hot RC was like a winning lottery ticket.