PDA

View Full Version : Championship belts stolen from the Boxing Hall of Fame

jdmeltz
11-10-2015, 05:34 AM
The Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota is a great place. I hate to see this happen to them. If anyone knows anything about this theft or the stolen belts please contact the authorities.

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/general-news/20151109/burglars-steal-basilio-belts-from-boxing-hall-of-fame

From the article "According to Canastota Police Chief James Zophy, at approximately 2:45 a.m. on Thursday, Nov.5, one or more burglars entered the Hall of Fame. Once inside, they broke three display cases that contained a total of six world championship belts."

D. Bergin
11-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Oh wow, I didn't hear about this. You might want to duplicate this post over in the Boxing section to.

Sad they took Basilio's belts, since he had such an influence on the HOF being established in the first place.

The Boxing hobby is a small community. Hopefully the crooks present them to somebody who knows better soon.

RichardSimon
11-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Dave,
I would bet (probably like the Berra museum theft) that the thieves already had a buyer for these belts. They probably won't ever see the market place.

D. Bergin
11-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Dave,
I would bet (probably like the Berra museum theft) that the thieves already had a buyer for these belts. They probably won't ever see the market place.

Yeah, that's entirely possible. I would hope there aren't collectors out there with deep pockets willing to hide stuff like this in their collection, knowing they would never be able to show it to the general public or put it in an open auction to re-sell ever again............but one look at the art world shows there's plenty of people out there like that, for whatever reason.

Anybody having anything to do with the boxing hobby will know these are stolen. That's the best we can do, I guess.

I also wonder if the crooks saw these and thought they were some sort of high end jewelry they could flip for the gem and gold content. While these can be elaborate and they can sell for quite a bit on the open market/auction, I don't think they were designed to have much break-up value at all. It would be a shame if they were destroyed just to scavenge the worthless baubles and the gold plating from them.

jbsports33
11-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Wow! - great place to visit, hope they can track them down and get them back

jimmy