PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a 1975 George Brett rookie PSA 9 STOLEN from them??

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Just curious is anyone recently had some cards stolen from them....I have info on this one.

HOF Auto Rookies
11-09-2015, 05:51 PM
How would you know if it's stolen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Im asking...if you are the owner of some cards and had them stolen from you, you know what cards are missing....

HOF Auto Rookies
11-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Im asking...if you are the owner of some cards and had them stolen from you, you know what cards are missing....

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Why do you believe this to be stolen?

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
One recently sold on Ebay for $500 BIN. It is a $2,000 card. When one is sold that cheaply it is either a fake or hot. This one was real.

HOF Auto Rookies
11-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Ooooooooh totally makes sense. Thank you for the clarification, I hope no one had theirs stolen. :/

Dpeck100
11-09-2015, 06:33 PM
So there isn't such a thing as a good deal on EBAY?

Perhaps a seller isn't up with current market prices. Did that ever cross your mind before you started a thread about it?

Sean1125
11-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Have you checked the flip and made sure it isn't bleached?

1952boyntoncollector
11-09-2015, 06:36 PM
One recently sold on Ebay for $500 BIN. It is a $2,000 card. When one is sold that cheaply it is either a fake or hot. This one was real.

eventually this card will be a $500 dollar card..

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Perhaps a seller isn't up with current market prices. Did that ever cross your mind before you started a thread about it?

No offense, but when a seller of Pokémon cards suddenly has a high dollar baseball card, and puts it up for 25% of its real value, then what is the most logical train of thought....fake or stolen. No offense, but if the card is indeed stolen, I think the rightful owner would like to know!! I know I would want the same consideration if I had cards stolen from me! If the card is "truly" a steal and put up by a seller who had no idea of the cards value, then I apologize. However, if you have the funds and gumption to own a George Brett rookie PSA 9, I have a hard time believing that you DO NOT know the value of that card!

PolarBear
11-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Thread on CU about this.

Sean1125
11-09-2015, 06:46 PM
No offense, but when a seller of Pokémon cards suddenly has a high dollar baseball card, and puts it up for 25% of its real value, then what is the most logical train of thought....fake or stolen. No offense, but if the card is indeed stolen, I think the rightful owner would like to know!! I know I would want the same consideration if I had cards stolen from me! If the card is "truly" a steal and put up by a seller who had no idea of the cards value, then I apologize. However, if you have the funds and gumption to own a George Brett rookie PSA 9, I have a hard time believing that you DO NOT know the value of that card!

Have you checked the flip for bleaching?

Dpeck100
11-09-2015, 06:47 PM
The same seller got $1,900 for their Johnny Bench PSA 9.

$100 less then 4SC.

Why wouldn't they have sold this one at 25% of recent sales?

PWCC got $25 more 11 days prior.

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 06:50 PM
The same seller got $1,900 for their Johnny Bench PSA 9.

$100 less the 4SC.

Why wouldn't they have sold this one at 25% of recent sales?

PWCC got $25 more 11 days prior.

I'm not analyzing every single card Mr. Pokémon has sold. I am speaking for the Brett rookie. I'm just trying to bring this to light in case someone had their collection stolen. I would hope someone would do the same for me if I had some cards stolen.

1952boyntoncollector
11-09-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm not analyzing every single card Mr. Pokémon has sold. I am speaking for the Brett rookie. I'm just trying to bring this to light in case someone had their collection stolen. I would hope someone would do the same for me if I had some cards stolen.

well tough to steal a brett card... psa 8 worth a loot less so it would be silly to take it out of the holder to get a new cert number unlike a mantle which can have good value even if graded lower......and if can prove a prior purchase with the cert number he could challenge the current card ...

Dpeck100
11-09-2015, 06:59 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T3-Turkey-Red-Nap-Lajoie-PSA-VG-EX-4-/262017433550

This was sold for more then the last auction.

Once again they did just fine on a sale.

I think you should have done a little more homework before essentially accusing the seller of selling stolen merchandise.

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 07:01 PM
I think you should have done a little more homework before essentially accusing the seller of selling stolen merchandise.

And I think I would want the same consideration if someone stole MY cards! If it smells like a fish......
I'm sorry...I'm just not buying that someone owns a card like that and does not know the value of it.....
You and I will have to agree to disagree on this one Dpeck.

ALR-bishop
11-09-2015, 07:01 PM
I have not had one stolen

Leon
11-09-2015, 07:07 PM

at least it's pre-war :)

pokerplyr80
11-09-2015, 07:10 PM
So there isn't such a thing as a good deal on EBAY?

Not that good. If it looks too good to be true...

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Not that good. If it looks too good to be true...

Thank you Jesse!! Someone sees it like I do. I once found a Schon pool cue in a Pawn Shop for $150. I couldn't pull the money out of my pocket fast enough. Long story short, I was constantly looking over my shoulder when I shot with it. Sure enough, some man cornered me in a bar thinking I stole his cue from him. I got lucky to get the $150 I paid for it back, but felt bad that he had to buy back his own cue. If a seller truly owns a card of that caliber, he doesn't sell it for pennies on the dollar. When he has nothing it in, then whatever he gets is good. Anyway, I'm just doing my part in case this card belongs to someone else. Nothing gets my blood boiling like a thief.

Mountaineer1999
11-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Thank you Jesse!! Someone sees it like I do. I once found a Schon pool cue in a Pawn Shop for $150. I couldn't pull the money out of my pocket fast enough. Long story short, I was constantly looking over my shoulder when I shot with it. Sure enough, some man cornered me in a bar thinking I stole his cue from him. I got lucky to get the $150 I paid for it back, but felt bad that he had to buy back his own cue. If a seller truly owns a card of that caliber, he doesn't sell it for pennies on the dollar. When he has nothing it in, then whatever he gets is good. Anyway, I'm just doing my part in case this card belongs to someone else. Nothing gets my blood boiling like a thief.

So he paid you for his own cue stick? That would be an odd move from a guy that seconds before was about to pound you.

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 07:30 PM
So he paid you for his own cue stick? That would be an odd move from a guy that seconds before was about to pound you.

I didn't steal it...I bought it at a Pawn shop. I had no proof that it was his, and he had no proof that I stole it. We took each others word as to what the truth was and worked it out between us.

bobbyw8469
11-09-2015, 07:36 PM
What if the Brett turns out to be stolen and the rightful owner wants it back? Should the person who bought it on Ebay be out his $500?

1952boyntoncollector
11-09-2015, 07:38 PM
I didn't steal it...I bought it at a Pawn shop. I had no proof that it was his, and he had no proof that I stole it. We took each others word as to what the truth was and worked it out between us.

worked it out meaning I wont destroy you with my fists if I pay you $150 and forgive the much much larger debt I owe you for the last 4 games because you are a ringer..

DBesse27
11-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Isn't this in the wrong forum?

Joshchisox08
11-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Why is everyone trying to question someone trying to do something good for a fellow collector ???

Republicaninmass
11-10-2015, 09:36 AM
No good deed...

slidekellyslide
11-10-2015, 10:08 AM

I have no idea what that pool cue is worth, but seems odd that you would just take some dude's word for it that it was his. You rightfully bought it.

pokerplyr80
11-10-2015, 10:25 AM
What if the Brett turns out to be stolen and the rightful owner wants it back? Should the person who bought it on Ebay be out his $500?

I'm no lawyer, but I believe the answer is yes he would be. Even if stolen property is legally acquired later it still belongs to the person it was stolen from.

Whether or not Ebay would refund the money and eat the $500 is another issue.

bobbyw8469
11-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Why is everyone trying to question someone trying to do something good for a fellow collector ???

Josh...I have yet to understand it myself. Weird hobby we have here. Anyway, in regards to the Brett, maybe it was really a case of a seller not knowing what he had? I doubt it though. If too much time has passed, maybe the original owner wrote the card off long ago.

Leon
11-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Isn't this in the wrong forum?

A few off topic posts are permitted by regular contributors. The further off topic the less they should be. That's my take anyway.

slidekellyslide
11-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Josh...I have yet to understand it myself. Weird hobby we have here. Anyway, in regards to the Brett, maybe it was really a case of a seller not knowing what he had? I doubt it though. If too much time has passed, maybe the original owner wrote the card off long ago.

Do you have a link to the sale on ebay? I couldn't find it in completed listings.

bobbyw8469
11-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Do you have a link to the sale on ebay? I couldn't find it in completed listings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Topps-George-Brett-228-PSA-Mint-9-/252112412361?rmvSB=true

pokerplyr80
11-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Did anyone else notice this guy's listing for the 48 leaf joe DiMaggio? It's in an SGC case but the photo doesn't show the flip or grade. However a sticker on the card does. I guess we're supposed to just take his word for it? Something is off with this listing and seller in general. I would be very surprised if anyone is actually getting that 75 Brett for $500.

bobbyw8469
11-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Did anyone else notice this guy's listing for the 48 leaf joe DiMaggio? It's in an SGC case but the photo doesn't show the flip or grade. However a sticker on the card does. I guess we're supposed to just take his word for it? Something is off with this listing and seller in general. I would be very surprised if anyone is actually getting that 75 Brett for $500.

The person already got it and PSA updated the case to the newer one with the hologram.

sbfinley
11-10-2015, 01:24 PM

The Brett was received long ago and has ever been reviewed by PSA to rule out tampering. This auction ended months ago. Not sure why it's a a story on this forum now.

Dpeck100
11-10-2015, 01:25 PM
This thread was created the exact same day when the board member from CU got it back from PSA in the new case confirming it was real.

He posted the win October 14th and many were skeptical of its authenticity.

There are numerous comments discussing the pricing of his other cards and they all point to a collector who had not looked at current prices. Some were high and some were low.

The bottom line is the card was shipped quickly from the seller with no issues and the card was reholdered and the buyer hit a home run.

pokerplyr80
11-10-2015, 01:27 PM
The person already got it and PSA updated the case to the newer one with the hologram.

I must have missed something in this thread. So you or someone you know purchased this card, and then you started a thread asking if anyone had their 75 Brett stolen? Just asking for clarification.

Dpeck100
11-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Bobby saw the win confirmed on CU and decided to start a thread asking if anyone had a PSA 9 George Brett stolen.

I have only posted a few times on this forum but have been on CU for quite awhile and this is just par for the course.

pokerplyr80
11-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Bobby saw the win confirmed on CU and decided to start a thread asking if anyone had a PSA 9 George Brett stolen.

I have only posted a few times on this forum but have been on CU for quite awhile and this is just par for the course.

I see. Well apparently there are very good deals available on ebay once in a while despite my earlier post to the contrary. Someone certainly did hit a homerun with this one.

If it really was just an honest mistake by the seller in regards to the price it sure was an expensive one and I'm sure he or she will do a little more research next time.

glchen
11-10-2015, 01:36 PM
I really don't have an issue with this thread being posted. If the card wasn't stolen, what's the big deal? If it was, then it's good news to the original owner. Isn't there still some Willie Mays card that got stolen from Rob Schneider?

Dpeck100
11-10-2015, 01:37 PM
All of the auctions I posted were from the sellers feedback and they were priced more in line with current prices and buyers left positive feedback.

My experience has been when someone posts a win on CU others will quickly email the seller to either get them to sell them the card for more or to tamper with the buyers win and get the seller to relist it at a higher price.

It is probable that if this happened they looked at completed listings and priced their cards more in line with the current market.

There are many collectors who own cards and do not care to establish an EBAY account and get others to sell their cards for them. That could have easily occurred here.

bobbyw8469
11-10-2015, 01:47 PM

David...I feel like a broken record with you. If someone stole some cards from ME, I would want the same consideration. I'm sorry if you think it is, but selling a $2,000 card for $500 is NOT normal! When I hear of that going on, my mind automatically thinks fake or stolen.

And yes...Rob Schneider has a Willie Mays rookie stolen. Probably sold on the black market for $200.

irishdenny
11-10-2015, 02:44 PM
THankS FiR CariN Mr. Williams..."TRuLy!!!"

bobbyw8469
11-10-2015, 02:49 PM
You are welcome...anytime.

Joshchisox08
11-10-2015, 02:50 PM
I really don't have an issue with this thread being posted. If the card wasn't stolen, what's the big deal? If it was, then it's good news to the original owner. Isn't there still some Willie Mays card that got stolen from Rob Schneider?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFLuIn6lj5g

DBesse27
11-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Dpeck is right. There are several meddling people on CU who can't stand it if somebody gets a great deal. Bobby has a penchant for stirring up drama, which is why he was perma-banned over there.

When I see a card sell at far below market value, my first thought is that the seller was uninformed and the buyer had fortuitous timing. I don't take to an Internet message board to say the buyer is in receipt of stolen goods, and I certainly don't dredge up this stuff 4 weeks after the sale.

bobbyw8469
11-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Dpeck is right. There are several meddling people on CU who can't stand it if somebody gets a great deal. Bobby has a penchant for stirring up drama, which is why he was perma-banned over there.

When I see a card sell at far below market value, my first thought is that the seller was uninformed and the buyer had fortuitous timing. I don't take to an Internet message board to say the buyer is in receipt of stolen goods, and I certainly don't dredge up this stuff 4 weeks after the sale.

DPeck IS NOT right....you can't tell me that someone owns a card of that magnitude and has NO CLUE what it is worth!!! The majority of his cards are Pokemon cards for crying out loud!! I am sorry, but if it smells like a fish.....

MULLINS5
11-10-2015, 07:22 PM
I think it's possible that the card is stolen. Pokemon cards...maybe it's a kid who stole some of dad's baseball cards? Maybe housekeepers pocketed it while doing the laundry. Who knows? It doesn't hurt to inform the public in case it's a hot item. No need to pile onto the OP for this.

DBesse27
11-10-2015, 07:48 PM

glynparson
11-11-2015, 04:31 AM
but what was at one time the market price is not that uncommon and why many at a show like to hear someone say i haven't set up in x number of years. Those are the dealers whose inventories you want to peruse first, often some bargains. I think it is unfair to the seller to basically accuse him of selling stolen property with no evidence and then just be like i'd want to know if it were my stolen card. Problem is this was not a stolen card as far as we know. I think the seller is owed an apology if this never is proven to be stolen. Pretending there are never bargains on ebay is laughable. I know many people that have scooped up more than a few major bargains over the years on Buy it Now items as well as auctions.

bobbyw8469
11-11-2015, 04:57 AM
Problem is this was not a stolen card as far as we know.

How do you know it's not? It hasn't even been 3 days yet. Give the owner a chance to locate the thread. At least with the info out there someone can see it and be like "Hey - those are MY cards!" I had a trailer stolen from me. Doesn't mean I forgot about the theft. If a neighbor called and said "Hey - I think I saw your trailer going down the road", I would be eternally grateful and be all over it trying to see if it indeed was my trailer. I just don't see what the harm is with a thread like this out there asking if you had some cards missing. If you look at the sellers history, I am sorry if you think it is squeaky clean. It is highly suspect when someone sells $3 Pokémon cards to all of the sudden has 3-5 random baseball cards (huge ones for that matter), especially when they amount to 1% of his sales. And if you think stolen cards don't get sold on Ebay, you have your head in the sand.

bobbyw8469
11-11-2015, 05:02 AM
As far as PSA goes, it was a mutual thing. I don't ever want to go back there. That board shows how far a board can fall. it has literally "gone to shit". I think PSA is a great company, I have nothing but respect for Joe Orlando, and admire what they have don't for the card industry. Their message board is nothing like this one, and I choose not to be a part of it. I am sorry if this thread offends you - but if it helps an owner find his missing property, I would do it all over again and not think twice about it.

Someone has alerted me that they have started a thread bashing me for starting this thread. That's fine. For the person who bought the card, they want it to be legit. I want it to be legit for them too. I'm not about that. However, when all the red flags are present in regards to the sale of that card, then I'm just saying what others are thinking. The sale of that card is highly suspect. Selling a card for pennies on the dollar. Check. Seller has 999 $3 Pokemon cards, then out of nowhere pops out 3-4 huge baseball cards. Check. If you think that looks like a normal sale, then I have some oceanfront property in Nebraska I want you to take a look at.

steve B
11-11-2015, 01:57 PM
DPeck IS NOT right....you can't tell me that someone owns a card of that magnitude and has NO CLUE what it is worth!!! The majority of his cards are Pokemon cards for crying out loud!! I am sorry, but if it smells like a fish.....

Not cards, but I've bought stamps on Ebay that were BINs from dealers AND that were even more lopsided deals than this was.

So yes, some people just either don't know what they have or don't keep track of all the prices.

Steve B

RCMcKenzie
11-11-2015, 04:01 PM
The only time I've ever been to The National was in 1985 in Anaheim at the Disneyland Hotel. In a box of cards, my brother and I found a 1975 Topps George Brett in a top loader marked "$3". My brother was about 10 and he was pretty geeked about it. I told him he should buy it, as I already had one back at home and I thought it was a really good deal.

He paid for the Brett rookie himself and I bought a 1985 Topps Wax Box and opened up the packs when we got back to the hotel. I remember I pulled a Roger Clemens and a Barry Bonds that I still have in a box somewhere. My brother sold the Brett Rookie along with the rest of his collection for $300 when he went off to college.

Baseball Rarities
11-11-2015, 04:10 PM
He paid for the Brett rookie himself and I bought a 1985 Topps Wax Box and opened up the packs when we got back to the hotel. I remember I pulled a Roger Clemens and a Barry Bonds that I still have in a box somewhere. My brother sold the Brett Rookie along with the rest of his collection for $300 when he went off to college.

1985 Topps Bonds? :)

slidekellyslide
11-11-2015, 04:20 PM

1 of 1

:D

RCMcKenzie
11-11-2015, 04:35 PM

My memory is not all that good. The next time I talk to my brother I will ask him. I know it was a large card show in the mid 80's in Anaheim. Maybe it was 1986 that we were there? As y'all say, the Bonds I was thinking of is his 1986 Topps card. Maybe I bought those later? Anyway he did buy a Brett RC for $3 one time at a show in California, which we both thought was a good deal, if not actually a steal...

Dpeck100
11-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Bobby before you get too excited no one started a thread about you.

So since you believe there are no deals ever on EBAY would you have hit the BIN on this auction had you been fortunate enough to see if first?

"One recently sold on Ebay for $500 BIN. It is a $2,000 card. When one is sold that cheaply it is either a fake or hot. This one was real."

These are your comments. Since it is real it is "hot". Or in normal terms stolen.

bobbyw8469
11-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Bobby before you get too excited no one started a thread about you.

So since you believe there are no deals ever on EBAY would you have hit the BIN on this auction had you been fortunate enough to see if first?

"One recently sold on Ebay for $500 BIN. It is a $2,000 card. When one is sold that cheaply it is either a fake or hot. This one was real."

These are your comments. Since it is real it is "hot". Or in normal terms stolen.

Not always....but usually the case. There is more to it than that though. When a seller sells 9,999 $3 Pokemon cards, is he all of the sudden going to have 3-4 baseball cards (smoker ones at that)? Maybe so, usually not. What if he sold, say, one big one?? A 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 5? Would you think it was legit? Look...I didn't mean for this thread to be antagonistic. But when a deal is too good to be true.....Would you feel silly if these cards DID INDEED turn out to be stolen? Would you issue me an apology?

And yes, I'm aware of the snarkiness on the PSA board. I read KBCards comments. If anyone else beside me posted that, this wouldn't even be an issue. Everyone always checks out sellers history to see if cards they are selling are legitimate (they have a history of selling high dollar cards vs them selling Tupperware 99% of the time). However, because it is me pointing out the obvious, everyone is up in arms about it. Oh well. If I can help someone get their stolen items back, then I will do it again in a heartbeat. If the cards are somehow legit, no harm no foul. However, these cards have more Red Flags associated with them than anyone cares to admit.

DBesse27
11-12-2015, 03:24 PM
As usual, Dpeck is right again. Nobody started a thread about you. The thread was started 27 days before this one. His OP was just to talk about his excitement about his purchase. The day after this thread was started, he referenced it, in the 74th post in that thread. How narcissistic do you have to be to say "somebody started a thread about me" when you're not mentioned until 4 weeks and 74 posts into the thread?? And then not mentioned by name, btw, at least by the OP.

slidekellyslide
11-12-2015, 03:27 PM
It looks to me like he sells quite a few high dollar cards. I would say it is far more likely he sold the Brett too cheap because he was unaware of the current market for it. His other cards that he's sold more recently appear to be more in line with the market, and would also make it appear that he has or had a nice collection of cards. He also could have been selling them for a friend/relative which might explain a lot of low dollar sales with high dollar cards mixed in.

I think you're off on this one.

vintagetoppsguy
11-12-2015, 03:32 PM
As usual, Dpeck is right again. Nobody started a thread about you. The thread was started 27 days before this one. His OP was just to talk about his excitement about his purchase. The day after this thread was started, he referenced it, in the 74th post in that thread. How narcissistic do you have to be to say "somebody started a thread about me" when you're not mentioned until 4 weeks and 74 posts into the thread?? And then not mentioned by name, btw, at least by the OP.

Full name, please.

Dpeck100
11-12-2015, 03:36 PM
I just looked and can't find his comments.

The reason I responded was whether you intended to or not you made a blanket statement and I think that opinion is wrong and I think the thread isn't warranted.

The card was sold on October 3rd and the seller has completed several other higher dollar sales since. I would like to think that if they were moving "hot" merchandise and only priced this card at a fire sale price to move it quickly they would have done the same with their other cards. If the goal is to get in and out they certainly haven't done a very good job if they are still selling these "hot" cards nearly a month and a half later.

Perhaps this site gets more traffic then I realize but I find it hard to believe this is the first place someone would look if they were missing cards. I would imagine that EBAY would be and they could look at the cards sold and contact the seller themselves.

I can speak from experience when it comes to buying items at a fraction of the current value. In those instances I sent payment as quick as possible and simply crossed my fingers hoping the merchandise would come. Thankfully in every case it did.

At the end of the day I think just about every single person would have hit the BIN and while I don't actively collect baseball anymore I would have snagged that baby as quick as possible. One of the benefits of actively searching EBAY is finding mispriced items and it happens every day in all sorts of genres.

My mind isn't wired to think everything is a fraud or that people are out to get me. The biggest mistake the buyer made was trying to share his win with fellow hobby members because not only did he have to deal with the comments that the card was fake he now reading a thread that suggests that since it is real he bought a stolen card. I think unfortunately the lesson here is if you hit a home run keep it to yourself as someone will find a way to rain on your parade.

DBesse27
11-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Full name, please.

I'm not sure whose name you're looking for. Mine is Dan Be$$ette. Bobby's last name is Williams I believe. I don't know the real name of the CU member who's an innocent bystander in Bobby's witch hunt.

Smokie
11-12-2015, 04:36 PM
I've been following this thread for some time, I go under Smokie on the CU board, I have a nice collection of 1975 complete set.

David is correct the biggest mistake I made was sharing my big win.

First I want to say that I have the highest respect for all the members on the CU boards. I have BST several times and had all good transactions. I don't post a whole lot but do occasionally post some card for sale.

When I first saw the George Brett card in a bin for 500 I was shocked, first thing I did was check the serial number to make sure it was good then I quickly pulled the trigger and paid for it. Then the wait to see if I do in fact get the card and sure enough a week later I received the card, I was pretty excited about it thought I'd post it to the members on the CU board, they too thought something was wrong with everything you can mention from the bar code to the holder. At that point I decided to put it to rest and piece of mind if I did decide to sell the card sent it back to PSA for management review and put it in a new holder. I get the card back which has now been graded twice, reviewed twice and holder twice without a doubt it is a PSA 9. I post it and most congratulated me.

Now I have to deal with it being stolen.

My next guess I'll be getting every Tom, Dick, and Harry e-mailing me telling me that its their card. I did register it in my set and it is not registered to anyone in the registry. Ron

bobbyw8469
11-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Now I have to deal with it being stolen.

I never said the card was stolen. I just said that all signs pointed to it being hot. You might not ever hear a thing. Just tuck it away in your collection and forget about it. After all the harassments I get, I'm sorry I even started this thread. I just thought someone would like to know in case they had their cards stolen from them. I know I would.

sbfinley
11-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Board v Board. Stay cool Brett, Brett stay cool.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/sbfinley/the-tough-brets-18-1280.jpg (http://s537.photobucket.com/user/sbfinley/media/the-tough-brets-18-1280.jpg.html)

slidekellyslide
11-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Heh...love that show!

sbfinley
11-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Only two seasons, saddest thing ever...

Klrdds
11-12-2015, 09:00 PM
I just read this post and I am really surprised at the posts .
I normally post on the autograph site but this caught my eye so I opened it to check it out .
The George Brett card in question came from my collection . I am slowly selling many of my graded single cards as well as other ungraded cards .
My son has been selling cards for awhile and I asked him to handle the transactions for me at a commission percent . I would give him the cards with descriptions and prices and he would post them. The Brett card in question was given to my son to sell for $1500.00 BUT he misread the price and posted it at $500.00 and it sold immediately before I could proofread his postings to check for accuracy and proper pricing. When I noticed the error I wanted to cancel the sale for the gross error in the price but my son and I decided to live with our error and let the card go for the $500.00 in order to prevent a potentially bad situation from eBay and the buyer .
I am sure if we had canceled the sale for the pricing error he would have been mad too and notified eBay ...so you see we were in a lose - lose situation .
I have the auction house paperwork still for the purchase of this card.
But now some sanctimonious collector who got a great deal on a card due to our pricing error has the nerve to question if it was stolen. If he was so worried why did he buy it in the first place ?
Believe me I will gladly refund this guy's money if he wants and relist the card for my original price of $1500.00, however I do not think the buyer has the balls to do that.
Next time do not condemn or question the seller because sometimes crap happens and you get a great deal or you lose money , as in this case .It happens to all of us at one time or another .

Dpeck100
11-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Sir it wasn't the buyer who questioned anything.

It was an individual who wasn't involved in the sale and in their view they were helping the card collecting community by making a public service announcement.

Mistakes happen and that was the point of mine and others. If you should be upset direct your anger at the OP.

slidekellyslide
11-12-2015, 09:19 PM
That sucks...I would have cancelled the transaction myself and worried about a negative after that. You didn't deserve to take a $1000 hit because of an error in the listing price.

Klrdds
11-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Sir it wasn't the buyer who questioned anything.

It was an individual who wasn't involved in the sale and in their view they were helping the card collecting community by making a public service announcement.

Mistakes happen and that was the point of mine and others. If you should be upset direct your anger at the OP.

I agree with you and for that I apologize . I just hate that everytime something is against the norm whether in cards or autographs it is either stolen, fake , altered or forged. This is what our hobby has come to .
Mistakes do not seem to be tolerated as much as before .

Klrdds
11-12-2015, 09:28 PM
That sucks...I would have cancelled the transaction myself and worried about a negative after that. You didn't deserve to take a $1000 hit because of an error in the listing price.

The money was important for sure but I was also trying to teach my son a lesson in accuracy, fact checking and living with your mistakes and the consequences of your actions and if you make e deal you have to live with it no matter how it turns out ( good or bad).

bobbyw8469
11-12-2015, 09:33 PM

$1,500 hit.

There should be no anger at me. I did nothing wrong. The card had all the red flags of a stolen card. Card for pennies on the dollar from a seller who doesn't normally sell baseball cards. Checks on both accounts. I am glad the card wasn't stolen. Now the buyer can live happy knowing he got a steal (well....errr...bad choice of words :-p). Case closed.

And to the seller. I am sorry you got hosed on an obvious pricing error. The card was worth $2,000, not $1,500. At $1,500 it would have gotten snapped up immediately as well, although not as fast as $500. In the future, I recommend a website called Vintage Card Prices. They are great for instances like this, and they do have a 24 hour membership.

sbfinley
11-12-2015, 09:43 PM
I'd assume the seller the well aware of the card's market price. Outside of Cooperstown I'd doubt there is a nicer HOF autograph collection in existence than his.

Klrdds
11-12-2015, 09:54 PM
$1,500

And to the seller. I am sorry you got hosed on an obvious pricing error. The card was worth $2,000, not $1,500. At $1,500 it would have gotten snapped up immediately as well, although not as fast as $500. In the future, I recommend a website called Vintage Card Prices. They are great for instances like this, and they do have a 24 hour membership.

Thanks for the info .

MULLINS5
11-13-2015, 12:18 AM
I just want to go on the record for being correct that it was the seller's son who sold the card :)

Dpeck100
11-13-2015, 04:27 AM
I just want to go on the record for being correct that it was the seller's son who sold the card :)

Patrick what exactly does this post mean? I don't see any indication in that post of you accurately calling this situation. Is the smile a clue that you did your sleuth work and contacted the seller to alert them to this situation and hence the owner sees the thread?

Here is your comment from this thread.

"I think it's possible that the card is stolen. Pokemon cards...maybe it's a kid who stole some of dad's baseball cards? Maybe housekeepers pocketed it while doing the laundry. Who knows? It doesn't hurt to inform the public in case it's a hot item. No need to pile onto the OP for this."

Dpeck100
11-13-2015, 04:29 AM
The money was important for sure but I was also trying to teach my son a lesson in accuracy, fact checking and living with your mistakes and the consequences of your actions and if you make e deal you have to live with it no matter how it turns out ( good or bad).

Sometimes mistakes aren't cheap and I applaud you for trying to teach him a valuable lesson.