PDA

View Full Version : Salutation Exhibit Reprint!! Anyone have any?

whiteymet
11-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Hi All:

FYI, I have found for the first time, at least in my experience, a reprint of one of the Salutation Exhibits.

I won the below lot on ebay after being drawn to the B&W Bill Lee card. Having never seen a B&W version, I bid on an won the lot. When it arrived today I found that it is clearly a reprint. The bright white back gave it away much like other Exhibit Reprints.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EXHIBIT-CARD-BASEBALL-LOT-OF-4-CARDS-MAGLIE-TORGESON-LEE-NEWCOMBE-/391305252649?hash=item5b1b9c4f29:g:q34AAOSw~bFWMAa P

Do any of you you have other Salutation Exhibits that are reprints? If so please post photos here. Just wanted to point this out so others are aware that the Salutations are now being reproduced.

Fred

Leon
11-10-2015, 06:43 AM
Hi All:

FYI, I have found for the first time, at least in my experience, a reprint of one of the Salutation Exhibits.

I won the below lot on ebay after being drawn to the B&W Bill Lee card. Having never seen a B&W version, I bid on an won the lot. When it arrived today I found that it is clearly a reprint. The bright white back gave it away much like other Exhibit Reprints.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EXHIBIT-CARD-BASEBALL-LOT-OF-4-CARDS-MAGLIE-TORGESON-LEE-NEWCOMBE-/391305252649?hash=item5b1b9c4f29:g:q34AAOSw~bFWMAa P

Do any of you you have other Salutation Exhibits that are reprints? If so please post photos here. Just wanted to point this out so others are aware that the Salutations are now being reproduced.

Fred

Thanks for the heads up Fred. I bet a lot of folks have reprints and don't even know it. From my experience some cards similar to these are a little difficult to pick off.

smtjoy
11-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Hey Fred, They do exist, you just dont see them a lot. I have a Dimaggio I got a while ago, I will look for a scan of it.

whiteymet
11-11-2015, 12:09 AM
Hey Fred, They do exist, you just dont see them a lot. I have a Dimaggio I got a while ago, I will look for a scan of it.

Hi Scott:

You mentioning the Di Maggio got me to thinking. I have a few other "sets" of reprints, and just checked them out. I found the common Ted Williams SY Salutation in a couple of them. I had forgotten all about it being included. So, I HAD seen a repro of a Salutation before.

Of course this card was issued well into late 50's early 60's. The Lee card in question, not being a super star nor reissued years down the line like the Williams raised the red flag for me. I thought it strange that his card would merit being reproduced. Williams and Di Maggio I can see, but Lee??

Still a head scratcher.

Fred

brett 75
11-11-2015, 07:00 AM
How are the sizes on the reprints ? I recently picked up a copy of the Ted Williams in a 6 card lot . All 6 seem to be a little smaller than some of the other exhibits I own . Is this common to have a slight variation in size? The others are not star players so I wouldn't think they are trimmed . Also all 6 have the cream colored back. Thanks for any help on these questions, Brett

smtjoy
11-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Post front and back scans Brett and we will let you know. Most exhibits are pretty close to the same size. There are a ton that are trimmed, I have a stack of 50 or so I have purchased on accident over the years, many very well done im sure to try and get them graded. Anytime buying raw exhibits look hard to see if they could be reprints or trimmed.

philliesfan
11-11-2015, 03:06 PM
I have a Mantle that I bought about 30 years ago at a flea market. Always thought it was real because deep down I wanted it to be. But after comparing it to a few others I bought years later, I completely believe it is a reprint........but I am no expert so there is always that chance....... I will try to add a scan later tonight.
Robert