PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps Duane Pillette with Mize back???

Brianruns10
11-08-2015, 03:40 PM
I was browing the PSA population reports for 52 topps, and I noticed an entry I'd not seen before. It's for a Duane Pillette card with a Johnny Mize back. It lists only one example, in PO-1.

Does anyone know the story on this? I'm surprised to see it even listed in the reports...especially considering the House Yellow Tiger variety STILL isn't recognized. One example to me doesn't suggest an actual variety, so much as a very bad alignment between print feeds.

Your thoughts?

Republicaninmass
11-08-2015, 04:12 PM
It was done for Steve Verkman of Clean Sweep who found that card, and I believe a Sheldon Jones with a wrong back. I only know because I saw them raw in his case originally.

They sold under $500 each if I remember correctly. Hardly any wrong back 52s out there for whatever reason. Ony two I ever remember seeing.

As far as the House Yellow, since there are varying degrees of paleness in the tiger's tongue. It would be really tough to actually designate it a flip. My guess would be label any anomaly, and let the buyer/seller decide to what degree the overall paleness is worth. Then I'm sure people would be up in arms that the 1% variation they submitted didnt qualify but (insert ebay seller's name here)'s did.

ALR-bishop
11-08-2015, 04:54 PM
I don't know if they are srtill labeling the 61 Fairly with the errant green smudge in the ball on tha back, but at one time they were labeling it the same whether there was a speck or the bottom of of the ball was all green. Yet they were not labeling the same defect on other 61 cards. Plus as Ted knows there are many recurring print print defects in the 52 set that are not recognized.

Republicaninmass
01-27-2016, 01:52 PM
more recently a Pesky with a Stanky back in a PSA holder sold for just over 1,000

pclpads
01-27-2016, 06:20 PM
more recently a Pesky with a Stanky back in a PSA holder sold for just over 1,000

Saw that too. Card was about F-Gd, badly mc on the front and it got the dreaded A from PSA. But, how unique, even at $1K + 21% juice. First one I've seen. Was following it, but it went for way over my $ limit.

Republicaninmass
01-06-2019, 02:02 PM
a monte Kennedy with a coogan back, and another sheldon jones with a law back just ended on ebay. Still pretty rare finds, I've never had one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

swarmee
01-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the bump.
I'm surprised PSA slabbed them; usually they ignore wrong backs since they're not cataloged. Are these official production cut wrong backs or are they cut down scrap sheets or salesmen samples?

irv
01-06-2019, 03:12 PM
It was done for Steve Verkman of Clean Sweep who found that card, and I believe a Sheldon Jones with a wrong back. I only know because I saw them raw in his case originally.

They sold under $500 each if I remember correctly. Hardly any wrong back 52s out there for whatever reason. Ony two I ever remember seeing.

As far as the House Yellow, since there are varying degrees of paleness in the tiger's tongue. It would be really tough to actually designate it a flip. My guess would be label any anomaly, and let the buyer/seller decide to what degree the overall paleness is worth. Then I'm sure people would be up in arms that the 1% variation they submitted didnt qualify but (insert ebay seller's name here)'s did.

a monte Kennedy with a coogan back, and another sheldon jones with a law back just ended on ebay. Still pretty rare finds, I've never had one.

How long have these been known for, Ted? The only wrong back cards I knew about were of course Page/Sain.

Any links to those wrong back recent sales? I'd like to see them if possible?

Republicaninmass
01-06-2019, 03:24 PM
They are just misplaced on the sheet, not wrong bios

SMPEP
01-06-2019, 04:24 PM
And there are more that are unknown.

ALR-bishop
01-06-2019, 05:08 PM
That sounds like a Jack Handey Deep Thought