PDA

View Full Version : Value on 50's willie mays game used bat

ullmandds
11-07-2015, 08:21 PM
I have a friend that has a willie mays game used bat...it is cracked from the late 50's. Any idea on value???

ooo-ribay
11-07-2015, 08:44 PM
They are worth a lot...NY or SF? LS or Adirondack? As always, pictures would be a huge help in determing value.

ullmandds
11-07-2015, 08:47 PM
ny...

ooo-ribay
11-07-2015, 11:58 PM
ny...

I think so.....altho Vince Malta's book says 113 A's were only ordered 1961 and beyond.

I would say a valuable bat.

MGHPro
11-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Use doesn't look too strong and no uniform number on knob . If there is more use in person , probably 3-5k .. No real use maybe 1-1500
Matt

ooo-ribay
11-08-2015, 11:10 AM
I somewhat agree with Matt, but not entirely. I would place the value a little higher although game useage is obviously a huge factor. Is there tar on the handle? IMO, Adirondacks are more desirable than LS because Willie had contract with Adirondack. Thus, you get his signature rather than a block MAYS. I own a 61-63 white letter Mays and keep my eyes open for auction results of comparables. If your bat has any kind of decent usage, I would value it higher than Matt. If it has no use, I really couldn't guess at a value.

bat_master
11-08-2015, 02:11 PM
I somewhat agree with Matt, but not entirely. I would place the value a little higher although game useage is obviously a huge factor. Is there tar on the handle? IMO, Adirondacks are more desirable than LS because Willie had contract with Adirondack. Thus, you get his signature rather than a block MAYS. I own a 61-63 white letter Mays and keep my eyes open for auction results of comparables. If your bat has any kind of decent usage, I would value it higher than Matt. If it has no use, I really couldn't guess at a value.

I agree with Matt on this. The valuation I sent to Pete by PM was virtually identical. H&B bats are more valuable than Adirondacks and the auction results back it up. Also, Mays wasn't known for his use of pine tar until the late 1960s/early 70s.

Which Malta book is that you are talking about? BATS from 1995? Information has come a long way in the last 20 years. It is still a great book, but it's really just one of three books necessary for any true "bat guy's" library. I wish there were more.

UnVme7
11-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Regardless of use, bat collectors love the white lettered Adirondacks. They look super sharp! But yes, his H&B bats will have more value.

ooo-ribay
11-08-2015, 03:06 PM
I agree with Matt on this. The valuation I sent to Pete by PM was virtually identical. H&B bats are more valuable than Adirondacks and the auction results back it up. Also, Mays wasn't known for his use of pine tar until the late 1960s/early 70s.

Which Malta book is that you are talking about? BATS from 1995? Information has come a long way in the last 20 years. It is still a great book, but it's really just one of three books necessary for any true "bat guy's" library. I wish there were more.

I didn't realize HBs held a premium. Is it not true that Willie's main contract was with Adirondack?

Yes, the old Malta book. Which others would you recommend? I also have the Mastro Bushing/Knoll guide.

perezfan
11-08-2015, 04:14 PM
I also believe the white letter Adirondacks carry a significant premium. They are arguably the most attractive bats of the era, and are quite tough to acquire.

Mays' contract was indeed with Adirondack, and not LS. As a collector, I would prefer the Adirondack to the block-letter Mays LS. Mays is a definite exception to the collecting "norm".

ullmandds
11-08-2015, 08:05 PM
thanks for all the info guys. my friend is the original owner...he got it at a game while walking off the field after the game. as far as I know he has no interest in selling at this time. I will link him here if he wants to add anything thats up to him.