PDA

View Full Version : cap anson notre dame ebay

esd10
11-05-2015, 06:00 PM
it found this on ebay but the seller says it is from 1867 and anson played in 1870. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOTRE-DAME-BASEBALL-TEAM-ORIGINAL-ALBUMEN-PHOTOGRAPH-c-1867-FEATURING-CAP-ANSON-/371480954005?hash=item567dfd8495:g:-rsAAOSwQoFWO5bv

GasHouseGang
11-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Well, according to Wikipedia, "Beginning in 1866, he spent two years at the high-school age boarding school of the University of Notre Dame after being sent there by his father in hopes of curtailing his mischievousness." If that's true, then 1867 makes sense. Hopefully all the face matching experts can take a look and tell if it's Anson.

esd10
11-05-2015, 06:31 PM
im not very good with the face recognition

ramram
11-05-2015, 08:07 PM
That's not an original image.

bmarlowe1
11-06-2015, 11:32 AM
I have seen this one before. Anson is not there.

Runscott
03-03-2016, 09:31 AM
I'm curious why you all are sure Anson isn't there, and why Rob thinks it isn't an original image.

We had this discussion back in 2011 when this was in Mile Hi, and I'm still not convinced it is not Anson. Back then I had additional information to share, but no one appeared interested so I kept it to myself. I've asked the seller for enlarged scans of two players in the photo, which could seal the deal for me.

But of course, if you are certain it's not Anson, and Rob is certain it's not an original image, then I'm wasting my time, as I certainly respect the opinions of both of you.

Leon
03-03-2016, 10:28 AM
That's not an original image.

I am most interested in this question of originality. As many were, I was considering bidding on it, even as only an original photo (without Anson). It's a great image.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOTRE-DAME-BASEBALL-TEAM-ORIGINAL-ALBUMEN-PHOTOGRAPH-c-1867-FEATURING-CAP-ANSON-/371562431127?

GKreindler
03-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Wait, the fella right behind the priest is supposed to be Anson?

ramram
03-03-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm curious why you all are sure Anson isn't there, and why Rob thinks it isn't an original image.

We had this discussion back in 2011 when this was in Mile Hi, and I'm still not convinced it is not Anson. Back then I had additional information to share, but no one appeared interested so I kept it to myself. I've asked the seller for enlarged scans of two players in the photo, which could seal the deal for me.

But of course, if you are certain it's not Anson, and Rob is certain it's not an original image, then I'm wasting my time, as I certainly respect the opinions of both of you.

I guess I shouldn't say unequivocally that it is not an original image, but as I recall, when this first came out a few years ago (on ebay maybe??) there was some additional pictures of it and some additional information that didn't add up. Seems like too much of the evidence pointed to it being a later reprint. But....my memory does fade over time.

Rob M.

Runscott
03-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Rob, as I remember it, Mile Hi didn't put up any clear images of 'Anson', and since no one could prove anything about it without a clearer image of the person in question, it was rejected out of hand by Net54.

If you want to know why I think it is likely authentic, send me an email. I don't feel like getting into a huge debate with people on the forum over this. If someone has solid reasoning as to why the image is a reprint, or if someone like Mark is positive it is not Anson due to facial characteristics, age or height, then I would certainly reconsider my thinking.

bmarlowe1
03-04-2016, 07:27 PM
A good analysis would require higher resolution. That said, don't buy it with the expectation that it's Anson - there is no reason to think it is him.

Runscott
03-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Edited (for future generations who accidentally find this thread the next time this item is auctioned).

The mystery is solved. It's not Anson, but in my opinion there was no dishonesty on the part of the seller or the descendant's family - an interesting story just changed over the years until it was more than it really was. This is based on research I did, as well as an enhanced view of the photo.

Runscott
03-11-2016, 10:01 AM
update above. Believe it or not - doesn't matter to me. I only updated my post in case someone stumbles on this in the future, or the item ends up auctioned again.