PDA

View Full Version : An idea for this section? Live Auctions....

Leon
11-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Hey Guys
Just a thought...This section doesn't have quite the participation as others on the site do as we are not one of the big autograph sites and the focus is more towards cards. What do ya'll think ahout doing some live auctions of autographs in this section, but with a few parameters to make them livable? It might be fun and if it goes awry we don't have to do them anymore. My thought is they have to start at $1 and also there has to be some limits on time frame, how many going at once etc.....Any thoughts? (and yes, I have already considered the "differing opinions on authenticity" dilemma but what are you going to do?)

Laxcat
11-05-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm willing to post some inventory to see how it goes.

Leon
11-05-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm willing to post some inventory to see how it goes.

Thanks Matt....obvious concern is some things get overlooked and the seller is unhappy. Lets see if we can get a few more opinions on it. Thanks for the offer and we might go with it if there is enough interest (or we decide to try anyway). I have those few things in the other thread that my friend said he doesn't want back so those could probably go too. But I don't want it to be a poop storm either....if you know what I mean? :eek:

Laxcat
11-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Oh, yes, I do. I'll do my dilligence to make sure that no one can say "that looks like his wife signed it", etc. Most of my stuff was done at professional signings in the 80's. I also have postmarked envelopes and a sent date/received date log of all the cards that were send out in the 60's and '70's. I know it's not die hard proof, but...

Also, I'd be more than willing to have a money back guarantee on authentication. I did very well online selling them that way and received many confirmations through the buyers that they got them authenticated.

Id be willing to try it, whatever may come.

Cheers
Matt

r2678
11-05-2015, 11:51 AM
I would give it a try. Have tons of signed index cards and sports cards I'd offer as lots. I would suggest a common start and end time and common terms for authenticity, etc.

tazdmb
11-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Sure, I have some nice items I would throw up, given there are some proper rules in place.

Leon
11-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Sure, I have some nice items I would throw up, given there are some proper rules in place.

So let's discuss some rules and see if we can come to a consensus..if not, no harm no foul.....

btcarfagno
11-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Rule #1: All items must start at $1 and if Tom Carfagno places a bid, that item automatically ends with Tom Carfagno as the winning bidder for $1.

I like it.

Tom C

Leon
11-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Rule #1: All items must start at $1 and if Tom Carfagno places a bid, that item automatically ends with Tom Carfagno as the winning bidder for $1.

I like it.

Tom C

um, not quite what I had in mind but a start....

Laxcat
11-05-2015, 02:32 PM
What if:

Sellers: Sellers could post items for a few days up to start of auction. All auctions start at x:xx time on x/x date and end at the same time same date. We could use EST as start and end times to make it simple. I know is prefer CST but that's only because I'm in Austin.

Authentication: I've never used the quick opinion(does it still exist?) but I think it would be a bidders friend. Please do not take that as a "looks good to me" stance. I feel all sellers should only post things without questionable authenticity. All autos should have a money back guarantee if it doesn't pass inspection.

Bidders: I think it would be crazy to have people register for this. I think that members in good standing should be able to bid. I don't know what would happen if someone did not pay, but I don't see that as being a problem. Risk vs reward from the knowledge and connections you can get/make on this board is not worth the risk.

Just some spitballing. I'm sure yall have more experience with this than me.

Leon
11-05-2015, 04:40 PM
I knew the authentication could be an issue. All members in good standing should be able to bid. The board uses CSTso we will use central time if we do it. Probably the biggerst concern is "will there be enough eyes on the items?" ...

What if:

Sellers: Sellers could post items for a few days up to start of auction. All auctions start at x:xx time on x/x date and end at the same time same date. We could use EST as start and end times to make it simple. I know is prefer CST but that's only because I'm in Austin.

Authentication: I've never used the quick opinion(does it still exist?) but I think it would be a bidders friend. Please do not take that as a "looks good to me" stance. I feel all sellers should only post things without questionable authenticity. All autos should have a money back guarantee if it doesn't pass inspection.

Bidders: I think it would be crazy to have people register for this. I think that members in good standing should be able to bid. I don't know what would happen if someone did not pay, but I don't see that as being a problem. Risk vs reward from the knowledge and connections you can get/make on this board is not worth the risk.

Just some spitballing. I'm sure yall have more experience with this than me.

sbfinley
11-05-2015, 05:11 PM
I think this section could stand to use a spot for the niches that are a part of this side of the hobby. 90% of the posts here are "is this auto good" or "who is this auto" besides the pickup thread. FWIW, I don't have a problem with any of these types of threads. There are however, many types of autograph collecting that are barely ever mentioned here.

*TTM Collectors and addresses
*Consignors and those that run private signings
*Set collectors
*All-Time and Specific roster collectors

Maybe we could see if one of these could gain traction here.

As the auction I don't know what the hangup would be with starting it. The normal B/S/T auction section seems to run quite smoothly and generally I have no hesitation purchasing autos from the board. I just Tony would list more 50's and 60's signed cards sometime soon!

tazdmb
11-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Questions (that I currently don't have an answer to):

-Can the seller establish a minimum bid?
-Would each item have its own thread? or would each seller have its own thread?
-is there a maximum amount of items to have up at once?
-What are the bid increments?
-Does a bidder/seller need to have to have a minimum amount of posts/some other criteria to know they are legit?
-Do all payments need to go through regular Paypal (not Paypal gift) for security of buyer and seller.

Honestly, authentication is a minimal concern for me on this board as many of the people are veterans and if a bad autograph is posted accidentally, I am sure it will be taken care of.

Leon
11-05-2015, 05:58 PM
For transparency I am not an autograph collector and am not going to generally deal in them. That being said it seems they come my way sometimes :).

First and foremost I like the way the little live auctions are going in the BST now (knock on wood I rarely need to get involved). But some potential special rules here....and possbile answers- though all are open to debate

all auctions start at $1 and no reserve
each item/lot has its own thread
each seller can have 2 open at once
bid increments are up to each seller
all members in good standing are eligible. scammers won't last long
payment can be up to sellers....

Questions (that I currently don't have an answer to):

-Can the seller establish a minimum bid?
-Would each item have its own thread? or would each seller have its own thread?
-is there a maximum amount of items to have up at once?
-What are the bid increments?
-Does a bidder/seller need to have to have a minimum amount of posts/some other criteria to know they are legit?
-Do all payments need to go through regular Paypal (not Paypal gift) for security of buyer and seller.

Honestly, authentication is a minimal concern for me on this board as many of the people are veterans and if a bad autograph is posted accidentally, I am sure it will be taken care of.

tazdmb
11-05-2015, 06:15 PM
all auctions start at $1

For this reason alone, I will not be treading lightly until I see that other items are getting some what of market value. My concern is that because of the limited activity hear compared to an AH and Ebay, items will go for a fraction of their fair value.

bnorth
11-05-2015, 06:20 PM
My only question Leon is why the $1 start with no reserve? In the regular auction section there is no requirement for a $1 starting price.

A question for the auto guys. Is there a reason why you don't list your items in the regular auction section now? I ask because I rarely see any there.

Leon
11-05-2015, 07:27 PM
My only question Leon is why the $1 start with no reserve? In the regular auction section there is no requirement for a $1 starting price.

A question for the auto guys. Is there a reason why you don't list your items in the regular auction section now? I ask because I rarely see any there.

ok start them at what you want to, doesn't matter to me. Have reserves too. If too many go unsold then we can address it then.. You guys make the rules. I was just helping get the ball rolling. All I will say is caveat emptor and have fun.

bnorth
11-05-2015, 08:14 PM
ok start them at what you want to, doesn't matter to me. Have reserves too. If too many go unsold then we can address it then.. You guys make the rules. I was just helping get the ball rolling. All I will say is caveat emptor and have fun.

I really hope it works and Leon let us know when you are going to start the new Live Auctions-Autograph section. I really like the BST section on the forum, I buy 99% of my vintage cards off it with way over 100 transactions from some great sellers. My question was because I did not want to see the sellers have to start things at $1 and end up giving a few item away super cheap and stop listing.

egri
11-06-2015, 08:06 PM
I like this idea. I'm too tired right now to chime in with my thoughts, but I think it's definitely worth a shot.