PDA

View Full Version : Three Days in Kearny, New Jersey

frankbmd
11-04-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm guessing that is less than average, and I am grateful my last shipment found a way out.

Now if I were to spend three days in Kearny, apart from that mountain of mail, what are the local hot spots? There must be a lot of fun things to do in Kearny to explain the prolonged transit times through the postal sorting facility there.

I have been to Kearney, Nebraska and had the time of my life there.:eek:

btcarfagno
11-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Dots Miller was a Kearny native. You could visit the pool hall that he used to own in town (no longer a pool hall I am assuming). His grave isn't that far away in North Arlington. Oyster Burns and Red Shannon and Sam Dente are also buried there.

Tom C

Howe’s Hunter
11-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Kearney, Nebraska?

btcarfagno
11-04-2015, 08:27 AM
New Jersey.

I think.

Suburb of Newark. Birthplace of a crapton of the best soccer plahyers the U.S. has ever produced.

Tom C

bnorth
11-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Kearney, Nebraska?

I was going to ask if it was that one also. I spent a few weeks there back in the early 90's building the National Guard Armoury building. I had a ton of fun there but my recomdations would be 20 yes outdated.

slidekellyslide
11-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Here's a list of things to do in Kearney, Nebraska:

-nothing

Hope this helps!

Paul S
11-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Hoping to meet you one day -- in a kilt.

http://www.piperscove.com/categories.asp?cat=4

DHogan
11-04-2015, 10:02 AM
I've been to Kearney once. They asked me not to come back. ;)

Rookiemonster
11-04-2015, 10:43 AM
I live in no and have had a few hold ups in Kearney as well but I don't know about Nebraska

z28jd
11-04-2015, 10:44 AM
No second E in Kearny, NJ, c'mon Frank!

I've spent a lot more than three days in Kearny, NJ, seeing as I was born there. Best thing to do there now besides visit my cousin is go to Brother's Bakery for great food. Go to the Argyle for fish n chips, and go to West Hudson Park to walk off all the food you ate.

You can still see the only house Dots Miller had in town. You can see my first house just a couple blocks away and about 10-12 other houses that used to belong to relatives of mine.

They have a great museum if you like civil war history. That town was named after Gen. Philip Kearny, a war hero. There is also a great fire department museum in town.

If you go, let me know and I'll show you around

Shoebox
11-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Here's a list of things to do in Kearney, Nebraska:

-nothing

Hope this helps!

Hey, aren't I punished enough by living here? I have to be openly mocked nationally? :)

chaddurbin
11-04-2015, 12:07 PM
would love to visit that infamous sort facility...will even take a selfie and post it to facebook.

frankbmd
11-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Hey, aren't I punished enough by living here? I have to be openly mocked nationally? :)

We have members in Europe too.:D

Howe’s Hunter
11-04-2015, 12:24 PM

I was just asking as I was trying to figure out why in the hell Frank was going to be in Kearney, Nebraska (well, maybe that is where the mockery started).

frankbmd
11-04-2015, 12:35 PM
I was just asking as I was trying to figure out why in the hell Frank was going to be in Kearney, Nebraska (well, maybe that is where the mockery started).

Ed,

I did get off at the Kearney, NE exit on I-80 not too long ago looking for either fuel or food. I found neither.

I thought this thread would produce stories of cards that spent many more days in the NJ sorting facility than mine. Unfortunately the thread seems to revealing that our members in NE have far too much free time.:D

My trip to Kearny, NJ was purely hypothetical. I can always ask my cards what they did during their three days in Kearny.

btcarfagno
11-04-2015, 12:55 PM
If your cards happened to make a side trip through the neighboring towns of Irvington or Elizabeth, be thankful if they arrive sans bullet holes.

Tom C

Shoebox
11-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately the thread seems to revealing that our members in NE have far too much free time.:D

Guilty! :D

Edward
11-04-2015, 01:18 PM
if i ever spent 3 days in kearny.....id probably get tested....just sayin

frankbmd
11-04-2015, 01:38 PM
If your cards happened to make a side trip through the neighboring towns of Irvington or Elizabeth, be thankful if they arrive sans bullet holes.

Tom C

Been there, done that.;)

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/duplicates/23250/chase-dark-cap-app-sov

And now that you know the back story, the price just went up, as it is for sale.

Buythatcard
11-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Ed,

I did get off at the Kearney, NE exit on I-80 not too long ago looking for either fuel or food. I found neither.

I thought this thread would produce stories of cards that spent many more days in the NJ sorting facility than mine. Unfortunately the thread seems to revealing that our members in NE have far too much free time.:D

My trip to Kearny, NJ was purely hypothetical. I can always ask my cards what they did during their three days in Kearny.

While your cards are visiting Kearney, ask them to be on the lookout for about 80 of my cards which decided to go AWOL while passing thru Kearney. They were all traveling in the same box. Had many others spend more time there than they were suppose to but eventually got bored and moved on.

Michael B
11-04-2015, 03:48 PM
if i ever spent 3 days in kearny.....id probably get tested....just sayin

You can always pick up a body condom at the border. The other option is the sheep dip as you leave.

slidekellyslide
11-04-2015, 03:51 PM

Any relation to Doug and Murleen Bellinger? I had both of them as teachers in high school.

mybuddyinc
11-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Always shutter when I see my cards going through Kearny, but they make it in a somewhat timely manner. But that's relative to me, because ALL my cards have to do the Savannah to Jacksonville jump, which is always a mighty long trip (although nice weather).;)

Had my T206 Shag spend a week in Philadelphia. But as long as he got to see the Liberty Bell and a Phillies game, it was fine.

Never been to Nebraska...................:confused:

Ulidia
11-04-2015, 05:46 PM
In all seriousness, I am looking for the match program from the following soccer game in Kearney (with an "e", at least this side of the pond), New Jersey:

May 15 1949 New Jersey All Stars (Kearney Select) versus Belfast Celtic.

I wouldn't have heard of Kearny / Kearney but for that exhibition game.

Paul S
11-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Been there, done that.;)

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/duplicates/23250/chase-dark-cap-app-sov

And now that you know the back story, the price just went up, as it is for sale.

Back Story: This card was once mine. I nabbed it in the 60s - as a young teen - from Goldfadden (ADCO) when I lived in SoCal. And I spent a few trips to Kern(y) County, although the card always stayed in L.A. No lie, no kilt, and not off kilter. If you happen to buy it from Frank, please let me know.;)

z28jd
12-07-2015, 12:18 PM
I just bought an autographed index card from Ownie Carroll(played in majors from 1925-34) and he was born in Kearny, NJ so I actually thought it was kind of cool that the card just spent the weekend in Kearny before heading to my house.

rp12367
12-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Always shutter when I see my cards going through Kearny, but they make it in a somewhat timely manner. But that's relative to me, because ALL my cards have to do the Savannah to Jacksonville jump, which is always a mighty long trip (although nice weather).;)

Had my T206 Shag spend a week in Philadelphia. But as long as he got to see the Liberty Bell and a Phillies game, it was fine.

Never been to Nebraska...................:confused:

+1 Jacksonville is like the Bermuda Triangle stuff gets trapped down there and then suddenly reappears :eek:

frankbmd
01-07-2016, 01:20 PM
I have twenty cards in Kearny today. Prayers welcome.;)

Prayers were answered. Thanks. 1/8 PM.

bunst
01-11-2016, 08:47 AM
My shipment to SGC arrived in Kearny yesterday for its scheduled delivery today. Just checked tracking to see if it was delivered yet, only to find that the package arrived Phoenix, AZ this morning. How does that happen? I'm hoping it finds it way back to NJ soon.

WillowGrove
01-11-2016, 09:13 AM
This may be my favorite thread of all time. Just read it from the top.

Good luck Frank.

As always, my thoughts are with you.

:)