PDA

View Full Version : Phenomenal Smith N172 on Ebay

sandmountainslim
11-01-2015, 03:13 PM
If ANY of you gents are feeling generous and wonder what to get me for Christmas :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-N172-Old-Judge-Cigarettes-422-2-PHENOMENAL-SMITH-Athletics-Tough-/131630415845?hash=item1ea5c8bfe5:g:RiMAAOSwPhdVOG~ r
That's my dream card!

HOF Auto Rookies
11-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Not too familiar with the set, but why is the Smith card so tough?

Great looking card btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwantitiwinit
11-01-2015, 03:17 PM
If it's your dream card then buy it!!!!!!

vthobby
11-01-2015, 03:22 PM
He was not much of a Pitcher but:

He was credited with discovering Christy Mathewson in 1899.

I'd take that! :)

Mike

sandmountainslim
11-01-2015, 03:25 PM
If it's your dream card then buy it!!!!!!
It is and I WOULD but it is a bit over my BB Card budget as a single dad with a mortgage. I wasn't serious about the Xmas gift :) I would love to have it but due to finances I collect T206 commons.

Stetson_1883
11-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Love the passion Sands but I just dont think Ill ever understand why people go bonkers over faded Old Judge cards. If it doesnt have a bold image, I just see it as a scrap of old cardboard without thinking twice about it. :confused:

z28jd
11-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Not too familiar with the set, but why is the Smith card so tough?

Great looking card btw.

It's not that tough, but it is more popular than a common, likely due to his nickname. He has a portrait version in the set, which is very difficult to find, but just finding a card of him in general isn't tough compared to your average OJ.

HOF Auto Rookies
11-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Is it me or did the price go up like $40 since the start of the thread lol

PolarBear
11-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Love the passion Sands but I just dont think Ill ever understand why people go bonkers over faded Old Judge cards. If it doesnt have a bold image, I just see it as a scrap of old cardboard without thinking twice about it. :confused:

I'm with you. OJ are awesome. Faded OJ's, not so much.

oldjudge
11-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Portrait is a great card; this card nothing special

HRBAKER
11-01-2015, 06:24 PM
He could have easily landed an endorsement contract with London Fog.

sandmountainslim
11-01-2015, 06:35 PM
I'm with you. OJ are awesome. Faded OJ's, not so much.
I like it! ....of course I would take a Smith card torn in half and soaked in kerosene :)

rhettyeakley
11-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Maybe I'm just sensitive or something but this is the type of thread that drives me freaking crazy on Net54!

We have someone actually starting a thread about something he likes and is passionate about (he collects Phenomenal Smith and has a Facebook page devoted to him) and on top of that the thread has nothing to do with T206 cards, which I as a non-T206er I really appreciate. The response from Net54... the card sucks, sucky player, faded Old Judge cards are stupid and are worthless pieces of cardboard from the 19th Century, Not an extreme rarity so it sucks, etc. etc.

No wonder people leave this site w/ a sour taste in their mouth sometimes, seriously we need to lighten up people I just don't really understand all the negativity! This is not a great way to keep people interested in our hobby. Not everyone can afford the super nice, the extremely rare, etc. Is this the greatest Old Judge card ever made? Of course not, Smith is not the hardest to find Old Judge player overall but is also not an extremely easy player either, he has some cool background history, his portrait is one of the coolest cards in the entire set... this thread could have gone in many directions but we ended up where we did. Again, I'm probably just being sensitive (see disclaimer below) but it does annoy me how we are as a community. Go ahead and tell me how wrong I am I just felt the need to share (probably a mistake).

Full disclosure: I am the seller of this card & completely biased!

Fuller disclosure: I don't care if I ever sell it as I like the card and don't mind keeping it forever, to the guy making a joke about the card having gone up in price since the thread started...??? Thanks for throwing that out there, I'm sure it was supposed to be a joke but I really appreciated that insinuation a lot!

sandmountainslim
11-01-2015, 08:16 PM
I don't care if I ever sell it as I like the card and don't mind keeping it forever,

Amen! If you don't sell it is still a win! That is one proper card in my opinion and a real gem.

pokerplyr80
11-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Maybe I'm just sensitive or something but this is the type of thread that drives me freaking crazy on Net54!

We have someone actually starting a thread about something he likes and is passionate about (he collects Phenomenal Smith and has a Facebook page devoted to him) and on top of that the thread has nothing to do with T206 cards, which I as a non-T206er I really appreciate. The response from Net54... the card sucks, sucky player, faded Old Judge cards are stupid and are worthless pieces of cardboard from the 19th Century, Not an extreme rarity so it sucks, etc. etc.

No wonder people leave this site w/ a sour taste in their mouth sometimes, seriously we need to lighten up people I just don't really understand all the negativity! This is not a great way to keep people interested in our hobby. Not everyone can afford the super nice, the extremely rare, etc. Is this the greatest Old Judge card ever made? Of course not, Smith is not the hardest to find Old Judge player overall but is also not an extremely easy player either, he has some cool background history, his portrait is one of the coolest cards in the entire set... this thread could have gone in many directions but we ended up where we did. Again, I'm probably just being sensitive (see disclaimer below) but it does annoy me how we are as a community. Go ahead and tell me how wrong I am I just felt the need to share (probably a mistake).

Full disclosure: I am the seller of this card & completely biased!

Fuller disclosure: I don't care if I ever sell it as I like the card and don't mind keeping it forever, to the guy making a joke about the card having gone up in price since the thread started...??? Thanks for throwing that out there, I'm sure it was supposed to be a joke but I really appreciated that insinuation a lot!

I agree we shouldn't crap on someone's dream. Since the owner of Sand's dream card is on the forum and following this thread perhaps you two can work something out and this can have a happy ending.

btcarfagno
11-01-2015, 08:37 PM
A year or two ago I sold an example of this card as well as a Phenomenal Smith N173 to a relative of his who was looking for them. Very nice lady.

Tom C

sandmountainslim
11-01-2015, 08:38 PM
I agree we shouldn't crap on someone's dream. Since the owner of Sand's dream card is on the forum and following this thread perhaps you two can work something out and this can have a happy ending.

In all fairness he did make me a very good offer but with the holidays on the horizon I can't bring Phenomenal home at this time. Too rich for me right now but I am sharing his auction on FB and to my friends and hopefully someone with more cash or less mortgage will bite :)

pokerplyr80
11-01-2015, 08:41 PM
In all fairness he did make me a very good offer but with the holidays on the horizon I can't bring Phenomenal home at this time. Too rich for me right now but I am sharing his auction on FB and to my friends and hopefully someone with more cash or less mortgage will bite :)

Well best of luck. I know paypal has credit available. I don't know if you've considered that but you may be able to make payments through them and spend only what you'd be paying for t206 commons each month. I've found having a couple "dream cards" more satisfying than adding a higher volume of less expensive cards.

PolarBear
11-01-2015, 09:30 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Phenomenal_Smith.jpg

PolarBear
11-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Ok, so I had to look this guy up. Found this blog. Pretty interesting.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-smith-became-phenomenal.html

Jeff_cvc
11-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Ok, so I had to look this guy up. Found this blog. Pretty interesting.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-smith-became-phenomenal.html

Great read, thanks for the research and share.

I only have two Old Judge cards, but I really dig them and have them prominently displayed.

Good luck getting your card, I wish you the best!

Leon
11-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Rhett- the comments about the card weren't personal. It's a light photo but still a nice Old Judge. Not one of us will look that good when we are that age. As for what type condition to collect, it's an individual choice we all make. I remember asking Yoda (hi John), around 15-17 yrs ago, which I should collect, higher grade or more quantity? Then I bought his E102 Cobby in about fr-gd condition. I had that card a long time and loved it just the same as I do the other higher grade cards I have had. Personally, I would rather collect low grade cards that are presentable and nice looking. To each their own. Happy collecting!!

oldjudge
11-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Rhett--I was responding to Brent's question about Phenominal Smith rarity. As I said, the portrait is rare, the other poses are not. I stand by what I said.

rhettyeakley
11-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Rhett- the comments about the card weren't personal. It's a light photo but still a nice Old Judge. Not one of us will look that good when we are that age. As for what type condition to collect, it's an individual choice we all make. I remember asking Yoda (hi John), around 15-17 yrs ago, which I should collect, higher grade or more quantity? Then I bought his E102 Cobby in about fr-gd condition. I had that card a long time and loved it just the same as I do the other higher grade cards I have had. Personally, I would rather collect low grade cards that are presentable and nice looking. To each their own. Happy collecting!!

Leon and Jay, totally understand and don't really have any problem with each comment in the thread at all and feel the same way as many do about light old judge cards. That being said I just got a negative vibe from the comments and didn't even realize it was about a card I was selling until later. Honestly I was probably just in a grumpy mood or something but it seemed like people were almost putting down a card someone was fairly passionate about so it rubbed me the wrong way. Again, I feel the same way as most that responded I just think we get a little too negative and possibly a bit snobbish sometimes around here and it can be off-putting to others (I'm probably as guilty as anyone since I kinda can't stand T206 cards! ) ;)

PolarBear
11-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Rhett--I was responding to Brent's question about Phenominal Smith rarity. As I said, the portrait is rare, the other poses are not. I stand by what I said.

Even if it's not rare, it's still Phenomenal.

RCMcKenzie
11-02-2015, 03:44 PM
When I put together a Geo. Smith player pose run a few years ago, I did run across a number of Phenom Smith cards along the way. I have to agree that Phenom Smith 422 2-6 cards are not especially difficult to find as far as N172's are concerned. I found putting together the Geo Smith run surprisingly easy. Geo Smith poses 2 and 4 may have been more difficult, but that is only anecdotal over about a 2 year time span. I think the OP will find a nice example of P. Smith if he looks around awhile. That being said, I've gotten some good deals from Rhett on ebay in the past.