PDA

View Full Version : "Scans available upon request"

mechanicalman
10-30-2015, 03:54 PM
I am relatively new to the forum, but it's become a habit to check the BST at least once or twice a day. (Thank goodness for an alternative to eBay). Occasionally, I click on a headline that seems appealing, only to find nothing but text and no pictures. This is accompanied by "PM for scans" or "Email for scans..."

What is the point of this? I can't imagine any savvy collector would by a card without scans, so why require the extra work on behalf of both parties? Clearly you have to take scans of the image in case anyone requests them, so why not post them to your listing? Is it a sales tactic to drive engagement?

I own a company that sells products online, and our understanding is that the more work a person has to do to complete a purchase, the less likely the transaction will come to fruition. So, my recommendation would be to show your product upfront, but if there's something I'm missing, I would love to hear other thoughts.

Stonepony
10-30-2015, 04:19 PM
My attention span is too short. I'd have to be really really interested to ask for, wait for scans. I'd move on as well.

timn1
10-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Sometimes I just want to get the description of what I am offering up there. I figure I will do a scan later and put it up then- IOW, I'm being lazy too.

And then sometimes I'm not sure I'll get any interest in what I'm offering so I won't bother to scan it until I do.

Also I think some sellers just like to correspond more personally with potential buyers, especially ones they don't know, at the beginning, just in case there are wonky signals being given off.

KCRfan1
10-30-2015, 04:26 PM
If there is no scan, I don't bother asking.

HRBAKER
10-30-2015, 04:37 PM
If there is no scan, I don't bother asking.

Yes, it would have to be very compelling for me to bother.
Right up there with "price upon request" and "listening to offers."

ErikV
10-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Sam,

Good point and well put. I tend to agree, but in all fairness I've read on a few
of these posts that a person is new to the board and is unfamiliar with how to
post pictures/scans. This being the one exception, I tend to agree with you, but
if it's a card I'm interested in I will go to the extra effort and email for scans.

ErikV

caramelcard
10-30-2015, 04:40 PM
I always do, but recently didn't because i posted 20 cards for sale. I was thinking 40 scans was a bit much for one thread. OK, maybe I was being a bit lazy.

Most of the time, my scans on here are too small and the potential buyer wants emailed scans anyways.

Was hoping I would get a pass, but guess not. :D

scooter729
10-30-2015, 05:24 PM
The only time I have not shown scans (except when I listed a ton of cards in one post) is if the card is of very high value, and there may be a risk of scans being stolen and used in a scam.

Otherwise, I totally agree - it greatly diminishes chances of a sale to not show the card up front.

PolarBear
10-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Scans available on request = I'm not really sure how much interest there will be and I'm too lazy to put any more effort into this than I have to.

rdwyer
10-30-2015, 07:34 PM
You're limited to the size of the scan when you upload here. If someone wants a higher resolution scan, I don't have a problem with that. If someone doesn't upload anything at all, I pass.

Jobu
10-30-2015, 07:42 PM
I usually try to post scans though I don't think that it takes a Herculean effort to send a message to ask for a scan if I am interested. However, if I am browsing you have little chance of selling me a card without a scan posted.

There is one angle that hasn't been mentioned: there are lots of collectors here who don't post their cards and tend to prefer to keep their stuff private. If one of these selllers thinks that there is a chance his card won't sell he can keep it more or less private by not posting scans.

asphaltman
10-30-2015, 07:51 PM
In the defense of a couple I know that are guilty of this - they aren't being lazy..they just plain haven't caught up with technology yet and still don't know how to post scans.

buymycards
10-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Yes, it would have to be very compelling for me to bother.
Right up there with "price upon request" and "listening to offers."

I agree. The seller can "listen for an offer", but I won't be sending one. Put a damn price on the card.

Peter_Spaeth
10-30-2015, 08:14 PM
In the defense of a couple I know that are guilty of this - they aren't being lazy..they just plain haven't caught up with technology yet and still don't know how to post scans.

And how long would it take to learn, one minute?

jb217676
10-30-2015, 09:14 PM
I find it hard to take a seller seriously if they don't have photos.

pokerplyr80
10-30-2015, 09:27 PM

I bet it would take some a lot longer than that, especially if they don't have a scanner. Some people, myself included, just have cell phone pictures to post. I have a scanner but can't get it to work right. If you haven't figured out how to adjust camera settings to create smaller image files, they may be too big to post and thus better to email. That being said, I would be very unlikely to pursue a listing without a picture.

I think not posting a price is even worse. If you're selling a card I'm sure you know what you're willing to take. I'd rather a seller just post a price above market value and say they're willing to accept an offer. Much more likely to get an offer from me that way.

ullmandds
10-30-2015, 09:46 PM
photo...or it didnt happen!

jcmtiger
10-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Yes, post scans or don't try to sell

Joe

JollyElm
10-31-2015, 12:09 AM
I wonder if these same sellers who refuse to include scans in their sell posts would ever buy a card from someone else without seeing a scan?

EvilKing00
10-31-2015, 06:27 AM
I am relatively new to the forum, but it's become a habit to check the BST at least once or twice a day. (Thank goodness for an alternative to eBay). Occasionally, I click on a headline that seems appealing, only to find nothing but text and no pictures. This is accompanied by "PM for scans" or "Email for scans..."

What is the point of this? I can't imagine any savvy collector would by a card without scans, so why require the extra work on behalf of both parties? Clearly you have to take scans of the image in case anyone requests them, so why not post them to your listing? Is it a sales tactic to drive engagement?

I own a company that sells products online, and our understanding is that the more work a person has to do to complete a purchase, the less likely the transaction will come to fruition. So, my recommendation would be to show your product upfront, but if there's something I'm missing, I would love to hear other thoughts.

totally agree - anytime I see that I just don't bother

bnorth
10-31-2015, 08:19 AM
I really like the reasons people don't put prices or scans in their listing. None of them make any sense but are fun to read. I tried to make a deal recently and after the third time I asked for a price and could not get one that seller went on my ignore list.

Jason
10-31-2015, 08:38 AM
I don't know put me down as willing to take a second to email for a scan if its a card I want. That being said I am guilty of the no scan bst posting on occasion.

btcarfagno
10-31-2015, 08:44 AM
If there is anything on the BST that I am interested in and there is no scan, I will ask for one. I would like to personally thank everyone who skips over said listing, who may have been buyers, had there been a scan posted. Truly. Thank you. The less competition for something I want the better.

Also sometimes things sell just fine without scans. Lower priced items certainly. I recently listed a total of 16 T206/T202 cards and sold 12 within 10 hours without scans.

Tom C

Jeff_cvc
10-31-2015, 08:46 AM

I totally agree with the marketing perspective. Everything I've been told by "experts" and what I've read supports the OP's original post. By the way, I have a beautiful t206 Cobb OM PSA 5 for sale, email me for scans.

qed2190
10-31-2015, 09:01 AM
What if you don't know how to put the scans on the bst?

bnorth
10-31-2015, 09:21 AM
What if you don't know how to put the scans on the bst?

Just ask like several others have and someone will gladly help. Overall this is a great very helpful forum with some great members.

sayhey24
10-31-2015, 09:28 AM
My problem with having to request is a scan is that if it turns out you don't want the item, it puts you in the position of having to write back to say you don't want it.
Since it is the same sellers who are in the habit of not posting scans, I feel guilty doing this more than once, and I just stop asking for scans.

Greg

ullmandds
10-31-2015, 11:19 AM
My problem with having to request is a scan is that if it turns out you don't want the item, it puts you in the position of having to write back to say you don't want it.
Since it is the same sellers who are in the habit of not posting scans, I feel guilty doing this more than once, and I just stop asking for scans.

Greg

good point...similar to the card posted with no price. you have to ask for a price...which is usually very high...then respond with...no thanks...and/or make up an excuse.

It is much easier for all involved to post a price and a scan from the getgo.

PolarBear
10-31-2015, 12:01 PM
The bottom line is - If you want to sell something, the easier you make it for the buyer to evaluate the product and make a decision, the more potential buyers you will have. The "scans on request" sellers are losing potential buyers, and money. As long as they're ok with it, so am I. :)

1952boyntoncollector
10-31-2015, 12:13 PM
scans available on request is a bit worrysome..but I more worried when see

'Scams available on request' now that just bothers me when I see that...

cardsfan73
10-31-2015, 12:28 PM
I prefer when the scans are in the post, but I don't mind emailing or sending a PM to request scans. What does bother a little is when the request for scans is totally ignored. :)

Scott

PolarBear
10-31-2015, 01:59 PM
There might be one way to fix this problem. Every time someone says "scans on request", everyone on the forum should request them. :D

CardboardCollector
10-31-2015, 02:00 PM
No scans, no price, no sale.

Joshchisox08
10-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Laziness IMO.

Joshchisox08
10-31-2015, 02:12 PM
There might be one way to fix this problem. Every time someone says "scans on request", everyone on the forum should request them. :D.

Zach Wheat
10-31-2015, 04:01 PM

Peter,

Some guys never learn.

Z

caramelcard
10-31-2015, 05:56 PM
Larry,

I can help you figure it out. It's a bit tricky at first.

Rob