PDA

View Full Version : Show us your favorite memorabilia trades!

Scott Garner
10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
A trade that I just completed with another Nolan Ryan advanced collector this evening made me think that it might be neat to start a thread about memorabilia trades that we have completed that were a "win-win" for both collectors.
Don't you love trades? I know I do...

Let's see and hear about some of your favorite trades in the hobby.

Ever since 1974 I have been fascinated with true speed tests that have been performed on fireballers through the years.
On August 20, 1974 I had the good fortune to attend a terrific pitching duel at Anaheim Stadium that featured two of the great hurlers of the era: Strikeout King Nolan Ryan and Detroit's Mickey Lolich. The Ryan Express fanned a career high 19 K's (one of three times he reached this number of K's in 1974), but took the hard luck loss to Lolich and the Tigers 1-0 in extra innings.

I managed to catch my very 1st foul ball in this game; a foul ball off the bat of Tigers Ron Leflore.
To add extra interest to this game, a local aerospace company Rockwell International (also Anaheim, CA) was tasked to perform and calibrate a speed test on Nolan Ryan. Rockwell used a sophisticated new laser radar device in anticipation of a PR gimmick called the "Nolan Ryan Guess the Speed Contest" at the Big A on September 7, 1974. The event was advertised locally and a contest was advertised in the Sporting News and local fish wrap The Orange County Register. The lucky fan that correctly guessed the correct speed of the fastest Nolan Ryan fastball would win a trip to Hawaii.

For the record, in the 1st inning pitching to Ron Leflore in the 8/20/74 game, Nolan Ryan threw a pitch that traveled at a speed of 100.9 MPH as it crossed home plate (108.1 MPH using today's standard of measurement). This 100.9 MPH pitch is still in the Guinness Book of Sports Records as the fastest pitch ever thrown.

Through the years, I have managed to pick up a number of neat items related to Nolan's record pitch and the Guess the Speed Contest.

After 41 years, I heard about a cool item related to the speed test that I had never known about: A commemorative Rockwell Intl. Nolan Ryan Speed Test lighter that was given to the Rockwell team that was involved in the publicized speed test. The other collector found it 20 years ago digging through a box of lighters at a flea market in Orange County, CA. Scarce and oddball for sure!

I had to have it! :cool:

THE SWAP:
I traded some Ryan tickets to the other collector that filled several holes in his collection that he needed and I now own the lighter. Both of us are thrilled with the outcome.
Anyway, here is my ball & ticket from the game as well as an original Angels press release to the game and Speed Contest, related newspaper clippings and my Rockwell Ryan lighter. :)

almostdone
10-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Scott. Great idea for a new thread and super cool trade. I wish I had a story like this about trading but sadly I don't. Congrats! Great piece added to as superb collection.
Drew

Scott Garner
10-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Thanks Drew! Hopefully others will share their best "swap" stories. ;)