PDA

View Full Version : Who are the tougher living Baseball HOFers?

hawaiian bam bam
10-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Hello,
in your opinion, who are the toughest living Baseball HOFers to get to sign nowadays? Here is my list:

1. Tom Seaver-Rumor is that he is done signing
2. Monte Irvin-I received a note from him when I sent TTM saying due to health he is no longer signing autographs.
3. Willie Mays-even if he signs now, his signature is crap(hardly legible)
4. Hank Aaron- see same as above for Mays
5. Willie McCovey-Heard his health is getting worse and so suffers his signature.

what is your list/thoughts?

MacDice
10-27-2015, 10:11 PM
I think you have nailed the list pretty well. Aaron and McCovey at least will still do a signing or two a year.

Aparacio is hard as he doesn't live in the states. When he does travel he has an entourage which drives up the price

Also heard Bench isn't healthy

dgo71
10-28-2015, 12:00 AM
Depends on the setting. Most living HOFers are accessible through signings, but if you're talking about your chances of getting them to sign for free in an in-person setting, there are a few tough guys.

Jim Rice is an absolute miserable human being and would probably be close to the top of my list. Roberto Alomar, if you're trying to get him on a HOF specific item, will simply not do it. He charges a premium for HOF items at signings, and for free he will flatly refuse to sign the HOF inscription, HOF plaque postcards, etc.

packs
10-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Tricky question. Those guys are tough to get in person but not tough in a general sense.

Here's my list:

Sandy Koufax
Joe Torre
Pedro Martinez
Frank Thomas
Greg Maddux

Just a partial list off the top of my head. The newer players are going to be hard for a while, but I think when they get old they'll do the circuits. Torre has always been hard because he's a Yankee. The price of anything Koufax tells you what you need to know, even if he was signing during spring training.

Mr. Zipper
10-28-2015, 07:35 AM
Sandy Koufax
Joe Torre
Pedro Martinez
Frank Thomas
Greg Maddux

Interesting because I thought the first four were pretty easy and regulars on the show or private signing circuit. Thomas in particular seems to be signing up a storm and can be had through a number of reliable sources for around $60.

Maddux I agree with. My sense is he doesn't like signing and won't be seen at shows. This in combination with the fact that his signature is an awful scrawl, it is a forger's dream. I would only obtain in-person or through a rock-solid source.

packs
10-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Private signing for Koufax and Torre yeah, but you're going to pay through the nose. So I still consider them tough because the price point will limit supply.

I could be wrong about Thomas. He was supposed to sign in White Plains shortly after induction but cancelled and I haven't seen him come around the NY area since. But again, I don't know about every signing. When he was a player he was a very tough in person signature.

I haven't seen Pedro advertised at a show signing since he got in or before. But again, I'm limited to NY area shows and don't delve much into private signings.

MacDice
10-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Good call on Koufax as being difficult in general. He maybe does one private signing per year and the prices were amazing. I kept putting off going to Dodgers spring training these past couple of years to get him on a few cards now I regret it.

bender07
10-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Koufax is always tough, expensive to get on a specific item.

Morgan is not doing well. I didn't hear that about Bench nor that Seaver doesn't sign anymore? That latter is really surprising.

Laxcat
10-28-2015, 08:31 AM
I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Irvin's poor health. Best show experience I ever had was sliding for him. I learned a lot about baseball listening to his stories.

tazdmb
10-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Irvin is the toughest, simply because doesn't sign anymore, followed closely by Mays, who did a signing of 50 flat items earlier this year, Koufax is possible if you are willing to fly to ST, and has probably has signed more autographs in the last two years than the previous ten combined. Seaver had not really signed since being diagnosed with Lyme disease. Aaron did a signing last week.

I think everyone living who has been inducted in the HOF in the last 5 years is active on the show circuit. Just because they charge a lot of money didn't make them tough.

egri
10-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Bobby Doerr.
I haven't seen a return from Red Schoendienst in years, and as far as I know he hasn't done a signing in a while. He was a good signer before then, though, so I don't know if he would count for this list.

Klrdds
10-28-2015, 07:35 PM
With respect to all posters I think the word " tough" should maybe expounded upon. Does tough mean accessibility in person or through the mail or thru the show/private signing venue. Does it mean the price of their autograph in the retail market or show or private signing market . Does it mean the refusal to sign certain items but will sign other items . Does it mean the player is just a jerk no matter what the situation is. But none of the these guys are impossible( tough) to find in the marketplace however their price in some rare cases may make it tough for the average collector to afford.
For example
Irvin , Schoendienst, and Doerr are not highly valued or tough to find in the market but due to age they are not signing much now .
Seaver and Bench have never been an easy autograph to get.
Koufax's accessibility is difficult at best and a expensive signature as well .
Mays and Aaron have made it difficult on collectors for years .
Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson were not that easy to get as players and are no easier since their HoF election along with most of the players elected by the BBWAA in the past decade or two .
I remember when Mike Scmidt was next to impossible to get and he still is hard to get but not expensive.
The newer guys are just in some ways following the examples laid down by their HoF peers.

HRBAKER
10-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Bobby Doerr.
I haven't seen a return from Red Schoendienst in years, and as far as I know he hasn't done a signing in a while. He was a good signer before then, though, so I don't know if he would count for this list.

Red is quite obtainable through local shows in St, Louis where a number of people conduct Private Signings with him. I have probably gotten two dozen items signed this year. If you need any more info PM me.

egri
10-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Irvin , Schoendienst, and Doerr are not highly valued or tough to find in the market but due to age they are not signing much now .

Mentioning Doerr was my lousy attempt at sarcasm :o. In all seriousness, he's one of the best signers, and certainly the best HoF'er that I've ever seen in terms of accommodating us autograph hounds. And SCF has a few returns from him this month, including one from a few days ago.

sycks22
10-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Feller and Killebrew were nearly impossible when they were alive ;)

Laxcat
10-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Feller and Killebrew were nearly impossible when they were alive ;)

I have heard that there is a safe somewhere that contains all the unsigned Bob Feller items in the world. There were only a few left when they sealed the door shut.

hawaiian bam bam
10-29-2015, 09:35 AM
You guys funny!

almostdone
10-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Just wondering as I know he isn't in the hall yet but how tough is Ken Griffey Jr to get? I don't get autographs at shows but I don't recall seeing him on any list of signers. Just curious.
Drew

MacDice
10-29-2015, 01:10 PM
almostdone - Griffey did a few shows when he first was called up then he became an exclusive with Upper Deck. A few years ago he signed a bunch of pieces for Mill Creek Sports Cards (I don't think they allowed fans to send items in for the signing but I could be wrong).

Personally I don't see him ever doing a public signing. Like so many modern players, he made so much money playing it doesn't make a lot of financial sense for him to go on the autograph circuit. I would imagine that after he gets elected into the Hall of Fame another private signing will take place with prices being at Steiner Jeter level.

I got him in person for free this summer at a charity event. It was one per person and even then you could tell he was pissed to sign. You got what you got. You didn't dare ask for a specific location or an inscription.

packs
10-29-2015, 01:30 PM
From making many rounds at spring trainings I've heard a lot of stories from people that Griffey is very approachable and will interact with fans on a personal level. but he gets very testy when they ask for an autograph.

7nohitter
10-29-2015, 01:50 PM
almostdone - Griffey did a few shows when he first was called up then he became an exclusive with Upper Deck. A few years ago he signed a bunch of pieces for Mill Creek Sports Cards (I don't think they allowed fans to send items in for the signing but I could be wrong).

Personally I don't see him ever doing a public signing. Like so many modern players, he made so much money playing it doesn't make a lot of financial sense for him to go on the autograph circuit. I would imagine that after he gets elected into the Hall of Fame another private signing will take place with prices being at Steiner Jeter level.

I got him in person for free this summer at a charity event. It was one per person and even then you could tell he was pissed to sign. You got what you got. You didn't dare ask for a specific location or an inscription.

I was lucky enough to get Griffey in '90 at a show in Boston. I happened to have ticket #31 and I was RIGHT at the door to Griffey when they called ticket #'s 1-50! I was the first in line and got an awesome auto...still have it!

tazdmb
10-30-2015, 04:38 AM
I believe the last shows he did was during the strike in 1994. I remember he did a bunch a shows with his father and it was $75-$90 for both of them. Again, this was just an obscene amount of money then. Today 4th year player Mike Trout is doing a private signing and is charging $265/signature and $385 if you want him to sign his full name. I wonder if that will seem cheap in 20 years.

MacDice
10-30-2015, 07:00 AM
I believe the last shows he did was during the strike in 1994. I remember he did a bunch a shows with his father and it was $75-$90 for both of them. Again, this was just an obscene amount of money then. Today 4th year player Mike Trout is doing a private signing and is charging $265/signature and $385 if you want him to sign his full name. I wonder if that will seem cheap in 20 years.

I remember when Jr doing shows during the off season of his first season in the show charging $8 per. I must have gotten around 10 cards done at that price.

hawaiian bam bam
11-01-2015, 08:19 PM
any other players that are getting tougher to get or whos signatures are deteriorating? thanks

bender07
11-02-2015, 06:09 AM
any other players that are getting tougher to get or whos signatures are deteriorating? thanks

Bam, are you looking to have guys sign a specific item of yours or are you just collecting individual signatures on any medium (like baseballs, index cards, etc)? If the latter, don't worry about the deterioration of the current autograph since any HOF'er that died post 1980 is basically easy to get on anything. Now if you have a certain print that you want to add guys to, that's a different story.

Understanding your intent will help drive the answers you receive.

hawaiian bam bam
11-02-2015, 11:38 AM
thank you for your help i appreciate it. im asking just in general on any item to get signed. I ask because i have read on other forums that bobby doerrs signature is starting to get really bad , same with whitey ford, and that tom seaver and johnny bench are really sick and not signing anything nowadays and willie mays and hank aarons signtures look horrible now due to old age and i got a letter back from monte irvin saying he no longer signs due to health issues, and i read al kalines signature looks like he is pissed that he is signing, so that all got me thinking,about what HOFers are now either not signign anymore and hard to get or whos signatures are so bad due to helth that it would be better to pick up an earlier signature on ebay instead of sending ttm or send in for private signing. thanks

Cooptown
11-02-2015, 01:55 PM
I thought I would chime in on some of the names mentioned in this post, as I only collect HOFers, I attend Induction Weekend every year in Cooperstown, and have a pretty good pulse on what is going on. As someone mentioned before, it needs to be better defined as to what difficult is. Monte Irvin is in absolute abundance, but if you are working on your own multi-signed piece, his days of signing are over.

Tom Seaver: I took a break from collecting from 1999 to 2004 or so. I remember when I got back into it, he was everywhere. In fact, I remember people complaining that MAB kept recycling Seaver and Berra at every show.

Monte Irvin: Unfortunately his signing days are over. But he was a signing machine TTM for the longest time. There are an abundance of his autos on the market.

Willie Mays: I have actually been in the market for a signed ball from him, and I was surprised about the abundance of his autos, available for a decent price, on the market. You can get an authenticated OMLB for $125-ish delivered. Although he has not done a signing in quite some time. I know there was a gentleman on sportscollectors.net who was trying to get a private signing (cards only) set up with him during spring training last year. I think it was in the $300-ish range. The signing was postponed, as Willie had some health issues, but I do believe he is going to try again for next spring training.

Hank Aaron: He does a signing once or twice a year through Waukesha Sports and a guy on Sportscollectors.net usually puts together a bulk discount signing on cards.

Willie McCovey: He’s good for a signing once or so a year. There was just recently a guy on sportscollectors.net who was just recently gauging interest on him. I believe prices started around $85 for flats/balls. MAB just did a signing with him earlier this year. I don’t believe he is in the best health, so if you need him, you might want to jump on the next one.

Bench: I did not hear anything about his health. He has been in Cooperstown the past few summers, was at the AS game this year, etc. He appears to be doing fine. He also signs through his foundation, with prices starting at $60.

Roberto Alomar: I think the reference to him in this thread must have been in person graphing, because he is quite prevalent on the show circuit.
Sandy Koufax: Probably the toughest living HOFer. Although he seems to sign a decent amount IP with the Dodgers in spring training if you put the time in, and will do a paid signing (although not cheap). Last private signing was March 2015 with prices starting at $395.

Joe Torre: Does signings through Steiner Sports – they just aren’t cheap.

Pedro Martinez: I feel like Pedro did quite a tour on the show circuit this year. I know he appeared with MAB the Monday after his induction, and I feel like he was at a few other shows. National maybe?

Frank Thomas: Actually, I would say he is on the show circuit the most out of the HOFers. He’s a pretty easy graph to obtain.

Greg Maddux: Difficult, but not impossible. There have been a few paid signings with him through sportscollectors.net, and I know he did an appearance on Saturday of Induction Weekend in Cooperstown.

Joe Morgan: I, too, was worried about Joe’s health when I saw him walking with a cane at the AS and HOF Induction Weekend. But apparently it is hip or knee related, and temporary. Not something that should take him away from us too soon.

Whitey Ford: I will add my own thoughts on Whitey Ford. He appears to have really slowed down from the show circuit, although he did do an appearance with MAB in Cooperstown over the summer during Induction Weekend. He looked great to me. Prices were a bit steep - maybe starting over $100 if I recall? If it is a piece you want to risk, I believe he still answers fan mail; starting at around $50. PM me for more info.

George Brett: I am also going to add George Brett. He usually does an appearance once every two to three years. I know a guy on SCN is working on something for him for spring 2016 – with prices starting around $130 or so. He’s not on the show circuit much, and he’s pretty hit and miss if you run into him.

Yaz-Also throwing Yaz onto this list. He doesn’t travel too much anymore, and does one appearance per year, in the fall, through Dick Gordon Sports. A guy on SCN puts together a bulk order, with cards at $60, postcards/hof plaques at $80, flats and balls at $130.

Red Schoendienst: Red just did an appearance in St. Louis – although I don’t think he travels too much anymore. There is a guy on SCN who handles his fan mail for him. I believe it starts at $25. PM me if you need more info.

You probably see a theme in many of the guys I listed. Long story short, if you are collecting living HOF players, a $14.99 yearly subscription to sportscollectors.net is money well spent.

Feel free to shoot out some more names and I will give you my take on them.

egri
11-02-2015, 02:03 PM
I got Whitey Ford earlier this year TTM. He charged $40 for a card, and the signature looked ok. It wasn't as fluid as others I've seen, but that could have been because my card had a crease in it.

btcarfagno
11-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Bobby Doerr. I have one of those inductee portraits by Lake Otsego on the lawn of the Otesaga from 1991 and the matting around it is signed by 35 of the 36 men in the photo. Oddly enough the only one not to sign the darn thing is Mr. Doerr. I understand that he is in a nursing home now, and due to the value of the piece as-is I am reluctant to just send it to him...plus it would cost a fair amount to send back to me. If I knew that someone was "in charge" of getting autograph requests to him, I would love to send the piece out to get it signed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom C

hawaiian bam bam
11-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys for your responses, i appreciate it.

Cooptown- that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. a nice break down of players like that, so thanks!

what i was meaning about tough or difficult is not really the availability because you can find anything on ebay. but more so for in person/ttm, what players are simply not even signing anymore, like irvin and seaver, or who is pissed o sign like kaline and i even heard jim rice can be difficult, or live outside of the usa which makes them difficult to send ttm, get in person or at a signing like aparicio. or whos health is affecting the quality of their signatures like ford, mays and aaron. cooptown..did an amazing job on some of the hofers i was asking about. would love to see your thoughts on some other hofers! very, very cool break down.

MacDice
11-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Kaline will sign TTM via the mail (cards and photos only) for a very reasonable cash only price but he does give an "angry" signature. When he is paid at a show and getting more money his signature improves.

Gary Dunaier
11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Mike Trout is doing a private signing and is charging $265/signature and $385 if you want him to sign his full name.

What do you get for $265? :confused:

bluffcitymemorabilia
11-02-2015, 07:28 PM
What do you get for $265? :confused:

Better question is when is the signing?

sbfinley
11-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Can I get a link to the Trout signing?

jimjim
11-03-2015, 05:01 AM
You can get a nice Mickey Mantle for that price. Or 5 other Hall of Famers combined. Ouch!

Klrdds
11-03-2015, 06:34 AM
From Taz:
Today 4th year player Mike Trout is doing a private signing and is charging $265/signature and $385 if you want him to sign his full name. I wonder if that will seem cheap in 20 years.
Unless the player has done something extraordinary I enforce a minimum 10 year career playing rule before paying outlandish amounts of money for someone who is not and would not be Hall of Fame eligible . To me a Cy Young , MVP or ROY etc.. is not considered unless they have won multiple awards and even then I consider waiting again because of my 10 year rule.
There have been countless great players with great seasons but they never had 10 year careers or even 10 great seasons. That is the rule I have been using and it has worked well for me.
I understand collectors paying it but what will it be worth if that player doesn't make the 10 year career or fades out rapidly for whatever reason.

btcarfagno
11-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Seriously. At that price there better be a reach around involved.

Too much info?

Tom C

cubsfan-budman
11-03-2015, 10:24 AM
honestly, it boggles that mind that buster posey, mike trout or kris bryant would charge more for an auto than most HOFers.

that's why i love kershaw and josh hamilton...they sign for free for their fans.

best bet, wait til they're in the HOF and start signing for charity for $100 or whatever in 2030 :)

the absolute worst in my mind is tom brady. i got an email the other day where you could get a football signed for $950. i get it, he's a HOFer...but that price is an insult to fans and (imho) reflects poorly on him.

packs
11-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Trout is great when it comes to signing for kids. When I was at Spring Training he only signed for kids and zig-zagged his way away from all the adults.

Kershaw I didn't see sign while I was there.

Hamilton was a class act and signed for anyone who wanted one. Great guy.

cubsfan-budman
11-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Kershaw I didn't see sign while I was there.

Hamilton was a class act and signed for anyone who wanted one. Great guy.

kershaw and hamilton are the only "big names" that i know of that are pretty much 100% good on TTMs.

sbfinley
11-03-2015, 12:34 PM
I'll happily pay Trout $265. I need him on his Topps Update RC for my son's birth year set.

packs
11-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Yeah to be honest $265 doesn't sound that bad when you can choose the item. I'd rather pay that for Trout than twice as much for Jeter.

tazdmb
11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Several People have asked so i thought I would show a full signature Trout (top) compared to the regular $265 Tour (bottom)

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x25/tazdmb/Autographs/Baseball%20Future%20HOF%20and%20Current%20Supersta rs/Trout1_zpsrkk5egmt.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/tazdmb/media/Autographs/Baseball%20Future%20HOF%20and%20Current%20Supersta rs/Trout1_zpsrkk5egmt.jpg.html)

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x25/tazdmb/Autographs/Doubles/Trout_zpse19623e2.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/tazdmb/media/Autographs/Doubles/Trout_zpse19623e2.jpg.html)

cubsfan-budman
11-03-2015, 01:06 PM
got a tristar email today...brady for the low low price of $650. i guess deflategate took some of his cache...or maybe they just ran out of people who can pay $900

Bruinsfan94
11-03-2015, 01:53 PM
With how much money these guys make, I'm not surprised they charge so much at shows. They know that kids are not going to be paying that. The only options they really have to avoid adult collectors taking advantage of them is to charge high amounts/not sign or sign so much that the autographs become worthless. Look how much mail a guy like Pat Neshek gets who will sign ANYTHING , imagine what Trout would get if he tried the same. As long as they sign for kids in person at games/ in public I have no problem with it. Hamilton used to sign all his mail and send it around the holiday season, not sure if he still does. Kershaw is as classy as they come. Bobby Doerr is the best. I honeslty think that (even though the old joke is about Bob Feller) that Doerr has increased the value of some of his unsigned cards by signing so much. Lots of guys still sign through the mail. I worked in a clubhouse in the independent leagues and I saw guys signing mail all the time. They all seemed to feel they owed it to the fans who watched them when they were playing in the bigs.

packs
11-03-2015, 02:02 PM
How exactly are collectors taking advantage of professional athletes by selling their autographs though? The athletes make what they make because of fans / collectors attending games. If one is taking advantage of the other, isn't it mutual?

cubsfan-budman
11-03-2015, 02:08 PM
yeah, there's some sort of break even point where the cost of the auto isn't exploitative of the fan base.

not sure where that point is, but it's lower than $650

packs
11-03-2015, 02:11 PM
The secondary market shouldn't even enter the athlete's mind. If it does, that person is being greedy. They have enough money. I don't worry about what someone does with my soda can after I throw it away. I don't feel as though someone who needs the money and recycles my can instead of me is ripping me off. That mentality is lame.

Bruinsfan94
11-03-2015, 02:14 PM
How exactly are collectors taking advantage of professional athletes by selling their autographs though? The athletes make what they make because of fans / collectors attending games. If one is taking advantage of the other, isn't it mutual?

If you get something for free for someone or at a reduced price, and then sell it for a profit, I'd say that you are taking advantage of it. You pay for a ticket to see a baseball game. You don't pay for a ticket to have the player owe you for everything. Not saying there is anything at all wrong with selling autographs. Just don't see why people would feel that the players should freely allow others to make profit off them. Signing a card for a kid is different as thats just being a decent person

Bruinsfan94
11-03-2015, 02:16 PM
The secondary market shouldn't even enter the athlete's mind. If it does, that person is being greedy. They have enough money. I don't worry about what someone does with my soda can after I throw it away. I don't feel as though someone who needs the money and recycles my can instead of me is ripping me off. That mentality is lame.

Of course the secondary market plays into it. Why should a player waste his time signing autographs just so random guys who may or may not be fans sell it. Apples and Oranges.

packs
11-03-2015, 02:18 PM
A player should waste his time signing autographs because they understand those people he's signing for enable them to live the life they are. No one steps onto a baseball field unless there are fans there to pay to see the game. There should be mutual respect between athlete and fan. If that relationship is entirely one sided, someone is being greedy.

Bruinsfan94
11-03-2015, 02:21 PM
And most will sign if you see them in public or at a game, at least the nice guys. Thats very different from going to a card show and sign 100's of items.

packs
11-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Obviously. But you said any time you get an autograph from someone that's you trying to make a profit off someone and getting something for free. Your outlook on the athlete and their relationship to fans is skewed. They've made their entire livelihood off people like me. If I'm a bum, so are they. Athletes should sign when they want to sign, not sign when they don't want to sign, but what happens to the autograph after shouldn't factor into anything.

Bruinsfan94
11-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Obviously. But you said any time you get an autograph from someone that's you trying to make a profit off someone and getting something for free. Your outlook on the athlete and their relationship to fans is skewed. They've made their entire livelihood off people like me. If I'm a bum, so are they. Athletes should sign when they want to sign, not sign when they don't want to sign, but what happens to the autograph after shouldn't factor into anything.

I never once said that. I said that if you get something for free then sell it for profit that is taking advantage of someone. What do you want? Athletes to sign items for every fan whos ever bought a ticket or watched a game? If I am an athlete, what makes me more likely and happy to sign, Some kid who has a 2014 topps card and it will become the an awesome memento or some random guy with a $200 bat? Most fans only go to a few games a year, if that or watch on tv. These players should sign when asked, but they have no obligation to sign so that others can make a living off it. Autographs are supposed to connect the fans and the players. Thats why players don't like signing. They see see how much they sell for. The autograph hound/dealer is not the guys they owe anything to.

packs
11-03-2015, 02:57 PM
I want an athlete to sign when he is able to at the game. I'd also like for athletes to set reasonable prices for their show appearances so they can attract fans from different spectrums and walks of life. I want athletes to stop caring about what I make or where my money comes from, because they have their own. I don't want to hear one word about my theoretical profits from a person in the top 1 percent.

Bruinsfan94
11-03-2015, 03:17 PM
I want an athlete to sign when he is able to at the game. I'd also like for athletes to set reasonable prices for their show appearances so they can attract fans from different spectrums and walks of life. I want athletes to stop caring about what I make or where my money comes from, because they have their own. I don't want to hear one word about my theoretical profits from a person in the top 1 percent.

Dealers would take advantage of that.But even beside that, these are young guys. Why should they go out of the way to sign 100's of autographs at a card show just so others can profit off it? Thats not their job at all. They sign at games and other places, lots sign through the mail. They don't owe anyone anything. They provide entertainment. We don't own them. I

packs
11-03-2015, 03:30 PM
The athlete profits just by being at the card show. They can just be happy with that. Why would they worry about what's in my wallet? How can such minute and inconsequential things matter so much to someone who makes tens of millions of dollars? I think we're different in that I don't think someone should take advantage of their situation to exploit people in order to make money just because they can. When you charge $900 to sign a football, that's what you're doing.

Bruinsfan94
11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
The athlete profits just by being at the card show. They can just be happy with that. Why would they worry about what's in my wallet? Why would they care what happens after a fan leaves the show? How can such minute and inconsequential things matter so much to someone who makes tens of millions of dollars? And why would it matter to them?

I go back to my recycled can analogy. That can is worth 5 cents and I don't need it. But someone else might and I don't feel as though I've lost anything because they're the one returning the can that I bought. And I definitely don't feel taken advantage of.

Really don't think that compares. The player needs to be a able to profit enough to make it worth it. Charging 20$ an autograph for something that will sell for 350$ on Ebay is not worth the athletes time. Your recycling analogy is apples to oranges. It doesn't matter how much money they are worth. I would bet that guys like Trout do card shows mostly for the fans or to give extra money to charity. They charge what the market dictate. Liston to players, most who don't like signing autographs its because they think that the guy is going to turn around and sell them. The players are not going to go to a card show just so guys can have a career in selling autographs on ebay.

packs
11-03-2015, 03:40 PM
That's counterintuitive though isn't it? If they charge $20 at the show, why would it sell for $350 later? The reason the business aspect of the hobby exists is because Tom Brady charges $900 to sign.

Bruinsfan94
11-03-2015, 03:40 PM
We are pretty much just repeating ourselves. Agree to disagree and lets not hijack this thread further:D

bnorth
11-03-2015, 03:48 PM
I don't collect autographs so here is an unbiased opinion. I have been to a few 100 games and love it when a player comes over and signs for kids. What I hate seeing is that POS adult that is trying to get that player to sign more than 1 item that then turns around and brags about how much $ they just made when they just cost some kid the opportunity to get a players autograph. Right or wrong it is my honest opinion.

egri
11-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Bobby Doerr is the best. I honeslty think that (even though the old joke is about Bob Feller) that Doerr has increased the value of some of his unsigned cards by signing so much.

I don't know about raising the value, but it does seem to me that it is harder to find his low grade cards unsigned than signed. Case in point: a cursory search of current eBay listings for "1949 Bowman Bobby Doerr" yields 3 unsigned low grade cards and 6 signed ones. I noticed the same thing with his 1938 Goudey; I think there was one unsigned low grade and at least a couple signed.

sycks22
11-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I realize it's a golfer, but I sent a baseball for Arnie Palmer to sign and got back a letter saying "It upset Mr. Palmer when he saw his autograph baseballs were being sold on auction sites for a profit, thus he will no longer sign them." He sent me an auto 8x10 by the way. I guarantee a ton of the "good guys" who sign for free or cheap through the mail will eventually get sick when they see they're making money for people while they get nothing.

hawaiian bam bam
11-16-2015, 10:21 AM
thank you all for your thoughts and input, i appreciate it. any other thoughts?

obxhouses4rent
11-16-2015, 03:49 PM
My brother and I used to get autographs on cards at the hotels and ballpark in Philly in the late 70s to 83. At one point we had over 10,000 autographs. We never asked any player or former player to sign a duplicate card. Ever. We felt that even then, it would be obvious what we would do with the dupes. The former players (from the 40's to mid 70's) loved being paid for their signatures as the new guys then were making a lot more than they ever made. But most of them all signed for free and were very nice about it. We have soooo many memories. But these guys owe us nothing. The do NOT have to sign. We always felt if you approached them with respect, called them only Mr. Whomever and acted polite, they would almost always sign for you. There were always some that were hard or impossible. In 1978 or 79 the two hardest on the Phil's were Ron Reed and Steve Carlton. After a while, we stopped asking. They wouldn't sign even if we got to the vet early and we were the ONLY two people there when they went inside to get ready. Nada.
So, we asked Jim Kaat, who was such a great guy, who we have given him some cards from his early career he didn't have, was willing to do us a favor. He got the entire folder we made up of Carlton and reed entire career in cards all signed. He brought it out to us after a game. We freaked. It was like hitting the lottery! Not sure if I would like getting autos today. It's probably wayyyyy different now. It was fun back then.

homerunhitter
06-17-2020, 03:38 PM
Any updates to this thread?

Wrightfan85
06-17-2020, 04:05 PM
Any updates to this thread?

Piazza is high on top of the list for sure. He splits time between the US and Italy now. He does 1 signing per year tops now it seems.

I do not want to publicly reveal how much I paid for my Mike HOF plaque lol. Did not expect it to go as high as it did.

mrmopar
06-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Sometimes it's both the joy and sorrow of getting specific items signed. If you have to have that certain rookie card, a framed multiplayer print or a HOF plaque signed to name a few of many possibilities, then you need to be prepared to hunt one down or get it signed yourself.

Using Piazza as an example, I won't claim to know the market on his autograph too well, but his first pack issued autograph that I am aware of (96 SPX Commemorative) can usually be found for $100 or less. I have seen at least a pair or more newer pack issued autographs sell for maybe half that.

Wrightfan85
06-17-2020, 05:27 PM
Sometimes it's both the joy and sorrow of getting specific items signed. If you have to have that certain rookie card, a framed multiplayer print or a HOF plaque signed to name a few of many possibilities, then you need to be prepared to hunt one down or get it signed yourself.

Using Piazza as an example, I won't claim to know the market on his autograph too well, but his first pack issued autograph that I am aware of (96 SPX Commemorative) can usually be found for $100 or less. I have seen at least a pair or more newer pack issued autographs sell for maybe half that.

Totally agree. The item really makes a difference.

sreader3
06-17-2020, 08:41 PM
FWIW, here is a non-exhaustive list of living HOF guys who haven’t signed much (if at all) through the mail in the last five years:

Aaron
Alomar
Aparicio
Bagwell
Biggio
Brett
Brock
Carew
Eckersley (very spotty)
Gibson
Glavine
Griffey Jr.
Guerrero
Henderson
Hoffman
Jackson
Jeter
Johnson
Jones
Koufax
Larkin
Maddux
E. Martinez
P. Martinez
Mazeroski (only signs for Pittsburgh locals)
Mays
Morgan
Morris
Murray
Perez
Piazza
Raines
Ripken
Rivera
Schmidt
Seaver
Simmons
O. Smith
Smoltz
Sutter
Thomas
Thome
Trammell
Winfield (very spotty)
Yaztrzemski
Yount

Many other guys will sign TTM (or through their websites) for set fees.

dgo71
06-18-2020, 12:31 AM
Tough is a relative term. I always think of "tough" meaning the player isn't a fan of signing autographs (i.e., Mays, Griffey Jr.). But it could also mean the accessibility to that player is extremely limited or non-existent, even if they aren't necessarily bad signers (Piazza, Jeter). Mays and Tom Seaver both have medical issues that basically make them impossible to get now, although neither player can be considered rare by any stretch. Tough could also mean that the price for the player to sign is so astronomical that it would dissuade most casual fans from obtaining the signature at a signing (Koufax, Aaron).

I don't really consider any living HOFer "tough" per se, considering even the grumpiest signers are readily available on the secondary market. A guy like Mays who has not been able (or willing) to sign in recent years might be considered truly tough on a later issue card, for example, a 2019 Allen & Ginter, so the specific item could carry a premium as was previously discussed.

In terms of guys I've encountered who are just plain not friendly, my list would be, in no particular order:

Ken Griffey Jr. (though it seems he may be mellowing a bit in recent years)
Willie Mays
George Brett
Rickey Henderson
Eddie Murray
Ted Simmons
Reggie Jackson
Randy Johnson

Scott Garner
06-18-2020, 06:02 AM
Tough is a relative term. I always think of "tough" meaning the player isn't a fan of signing autographs (i.e., Mays, Griffey Jr.). But it could also mean the accessibility to that player is extremely limited or non-existent, even if they aren't necessarily bad signers (Piazza, Jeter). Mays and Tom Seaver both have medical issues that basically make them impossible to get now, although neither player can be considered rare by any stretch. Tough could also mean that the price for the player to sign is so astronomical that it would dissuade most casual fans from obtaining the signature at a signing (Koufax, Aaron).

I don't really consider any living HOFer "tough" per se, considering even the grumpiest signers are readily available on the secondary market. A guy like Mays who has not been able (or willing) to sign in recent years might be considered truly tough on a later issue card, for example, a 2019 Allen & Ginter, so the specific item could carry a premium as was previously discussed.

In terms of guys I've encountered who are just plain not friendly, my list would be, in no particular order:

Ken Griffey Jr. (though it seems he may be mellowing a bit in recent years)
Willie Mays
George Brett
Rickey Henderson
Eddie Murray
Ted Simmons
Reggie Jackson
Randy Johnson

Hi Derek,
Although admittedly it has been a while since I chased any of these guys for an autograph, I recall:

Eddie Murray & Rickey Henderson never signing for me in public, but both were somewhat cordial. Eddie would always thank me for asking even when he didn't sign. But, Murray singled me out and gave me his wristband after a game in Anaheim on Fathers Day when he played for the Angels at the end of his career. I think that was his way of paying me back for the effort of trying to get his sig several times during that season.

In person, I recall that Steady Eddie had a spirited, fun conversation with me about Nolan Ryan being a "Wolf in sheep's clothing" when he spotted a copy of Nolan's autobiography "Miracle Man" at a paid signing after Murray got his 3,000th hit.

While Randy Johnson was terrible to chase for an autograph during his playing era, I found him to be surprisingly thoughtful and engaging at a MAB paid signing in NJ about 8 years ago.

Although Reggie has been given the label of a terrible signer, I was successful at getting his sig several times while he was a member of the Angels in the 1980's and I also got him at the airport in Dallas in the 1990's. The key with him, as I recall it was to approach him with the right attitude. Although he can be cranky, I have seen him also be very approachable at times, FWIW.

tazdmb
06-18-2020, 07:27 AM
Not-signing through the mail does not equal tough. Many of the guys you listed will gladly sign for free if you meet them in person. Trammel is a constant around Detroit baseball and I have never read a story of him turning someone down. I was at a (paid) dinner in St. Louis shortly after Ted Simmon's election and he was signing for everyone-granted, he wasn't the friendliest. Other's, like Biggio and Bagwell, are regular on the show circuits. Even Jeter has become become more friendly IP since taking over the Marlins.

IMHO, the only ones that are currently "tough" to add onto a piece now are Koufax, Aaron, Mays and Seaver.

Everyone else may be expensive and/or rude, but not tough.

scooter729
06-18-2020, 08:06 AM
I was an in-person autograph chaser in Boston in the 1980s - I had luck on multiple times with Rickey Henderson, Reggie, and Randy Johnson outside of Fenway. Never got Brett (though I don't remember any bad encounters), and never got Frank Robinson (was a grouch on a few occasions, even when I was the only person there).

My uncle was good friends with Fred Lynn at the time when Lynn was with the Orioles. Lynn got me a team signed ball in 1985 - I was so excited looking at it and seeing Ripken and so many others, even coach Frank Robinson! As I was scanning the ball, Lynn said to me, "sorry, Eddie Murray wasn't signing today." I didn't really think much about it at the time (I was 12), but in retrospect it blew my mind to realize Murray wouldn't sign the ball for a teammate!

mr2686
06-18-2020, 09:23 AM
Not-signing through the mail does not equal tough. Many of the guys you listed will gladly sign for free if you meet them in person. Trammel is a constant around Detroit baseball and I have never read a story of him turning someone down. I was at a (paid) dinner in St. Louis shortly after Ted Simmon's election and he was signing for everyone-granted, he wasn't the friendliest. Other's, like Biggio and Bagwell, are regular on the show circuits. Even Jeter has become become more friendly IP since taking over the Marlins.

IMHO, the only ones that are currently "tough" to add onto a piece now are Koufax, Aaron, Mays and Seaver.

Everyone else may be expensive and/or rude, but not tough.

I believe Seaver no longer signs due to Dementia. Whitey Ford no longer can sign due to the same illness.

dgo71
06-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Hi Derek,
Although admittedly it has been a while since I chased any of these guys for an autograph, I recall:

Eddie Murray & Rickey Henderson never signing for me in public, but both were somewhat cordial. Eddie would always thank me for asking even when he didn't sign. But, Murray singled me out and gave me his wristband after a game in Anaheim on Fathers Day when he played for the Angels at the end of his career. I think that was his way of paying me back for the effort of trying to get his sig several times during that season.

In person, I recall that Steady Eddie had a spirited, fun conversation with me about Nolan Ryan being a "Wolf in sheep's clothing" when he spotted a copy of Nolan's autobiography "Miracle Man" at a paid signing after Murray got his 3,000th hit.

While Randy Johnson was terrible to chase for an autograph during his playing era, I found him to be surprisingly thoughtful and engaging at a MAB paid signing in NJ about 8 years ago.

Although Reggie has been given the label of a terrible signer, I was successful at getting his sig several times while he was a member of the Angels in the 1980's and I also got him at the airport in Dallas in the 1990's. The key with him, as I recall it was to approach him with the right attitude. Although he can be cranky, I have seen him also be very approachable at times, FWIW.

I actually had decent luck with Eddie in the days of Memorial Stadium in the late 80s, but he had gotten much tougher after his retirement. As a coach with Cleveland and Baltimore I witnessed him deny every time he was asked, and even made a racist remark to one collector. I haven't seen him since he stopped coaching so maybe an in person encounter would be different these days. That said, he does a fair amount of signings/shows so he's gettable these days for those who don't mind paying the fee.

To your point, Reggie was not terribly difficult to get an autograph from, if you were willing to listen to him complain and drop more F-Bombs than a Richard Pryor stand-up set. As young teens, my buddy and I used to laugh after the fact at the tirades Reggie would go on while signing autographs. We always felt like he'd be happier if he just walked right by us, but maybe he enjoyed the chance to call us all "motherf*****."

My favorite Rickey Henderson story was a non-success in terms of autographs but man did he engage the crowd. It was a spring training game in St. Lucie when he was with the Mets. Rickey came out into the crowd that had gathered along the fence adjacent from the baseline and just started mingling with everybody. He told people he wouldn't sign anything, but was happy to chat and take pictures. He sat out there for 2 or 3 innings interacting with the fans. The thing I remember most, because it cracked me up, was a guy up in the bleachers yelling out "Hey Rickey!" Rickey replied with "Hey!" and the guy says "You're going into the HOF!" Without missing a beat Rickey responded "I know!"

packs
06-18-2020, 01:43 PM
Halladay is probably the top of the new class of HOFers. I was lucky enough to snag him at Blue Jays spring training years ago. I remember when he stopped he signed for me, my dad and one or two other guys from the driver seat of his car. After he drove away the security guard said he'd never seen him sign even one autograph before.

dgo71
06-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Halladay is probably the top of the new class of HOFers. I was lucky enough to snag him at Blue Jays spring training years ago. I remember when he stopped he signed for me, my dad and one or two other guys from the driver seat of his car. After he drove away the security guard said he'd never seen him sign even one autograph before.

The security guard must have been new. I never saw him refuse to sign during his Blue Jays days. I saw him maybe 15-20 times and got him every time, most of the time on multiples. Roy was a fantastic signer.

packs
06-18-2020, 07:54 PM
The security guard must have been new. I never saw him refuse to sign during his Blue Jays days. I saw him maybe 15-20 times and got him every time, most of the time on multiples. Roy was a fantastic signer.

Could be. That was my only stop in Dunedin. Snagged Frank Thomas that day too.

dgo71
06-18-2020, 10:14 PM
Could be. That was my only stop in Dunedin. Snagged Frank Thomas that day too.

I'd say that was a pretty good day!

PowderedH2O
06-25-2020, 03:53 PM
In 1987 during Spring Training, I was at a Royals game and everyone was chasing Bo Jackson for an autograph. Surprisingly, I was able to speak with George Brett and he posed for a photo for me and signed one of his new 1987 Topps cards. I just got it slabbed a few months ago. The next day I was in Miami and literally sat in a seat behind Eddie Murray at an Orioles game. He chatted with me and laughed and made jokes, but absolutely, positively would not sign an autograph for me or anyone.

I can recall getting many of these guys in Spring Training like Pedro Martinez, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter, Tim Raines, Willie Stargell, Dale Murphy (not a HOF, but he was a huge star at the time). Murray was one of the few to refuse. My dad was at a Florida State League game and came home with a Vero Beach Dodgers team set. He got one card signed - Mike Piazza. He told me that this guy was the best minor leaguer he'd ever seen and I should hang onto the autographed card. I did.