PDA

View Full Version : 1892 Cleveland Spider Schedule question

BeanTown
10-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Just got this in from Mile High. Is Carl Horner the photographer of these images? If yes, are any of these images used on the Just So cards?

RUKen
10-28-2015, 06:35 AM
Just got this in from Mile High. Is Carl Horner the photographer of these images? If yes, are any of these images used on the Just So cards?

The Just So cards feature the 1893 Spiders in their white uniforms. None of the images of the players in dark uniforms from the 1892 schedule were used for the Just So cards.

Carl Horner was based in Boston. A cabinet photo of Jimmy McAleer that was used for his Just So card was produced by Pifer & Becker of Cleveland; it is likely that all of the Just So images came from this studio, not from Carl Horner.

RCMcKenzie
10-28-2015, 05:41 PM
The poster that JC posted appears to have this photo of C. Childs in a dark uniform from John H. Ryder that REA just sold (not to me)... The JUST SO Childs has him pictured in a white jersey...
I have/own a copy of the McAleer from the Heritage auction a few years ago from the Pifer & Beeker studio...

REA also had a Patsy Tebeau in white uniform that I believe matches his Justo So card from the Pifer & Beeker studios. (I did not win that card)

BeanTown
10-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Great information guys!!!! I was thinking outside shot of Joseph Hall or even Fox who did the Police Gazette starting back in early 1890s. Love the Just So cards and would love to see the Young card which I think was posted years ago. Finding anything from 1890 Players league up to 1905 is just tough to do on anykind of issue.