PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Topps Aaron trimmed or miscut?

brian29575
10-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Pic taken of card inside of sgc insert from cracked slab, same set.

Thanks for your opinions. Trimmed or miscut?

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx108/brian29575/B42D3A37-A8A0-40E4-A3F1-8C5B669011AE_zpsrz2sa3tm.jpg

Laxcat
10-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Can I see a scan of the back?

brian29575
10-27-2015, 07:43 PM
I sold the card and this pic is from buyer. I requested scan of back too thanks

bnorth
10-27-2015, 08:08 PM
IF the card was sitting flat I would say trimmed. Because it has a top loader sitting under most of the card there is no way to tell because with a slight twist of the card it would be easy to make the card appear to be trimmed at a angle when it is not. Maybe buyers remorse? What ever you do don't fall for the partial refund scam.

swarmee
10-28-2015, 04:25 AM
With the staining at the top of the card and the bottom left corner, along with great centering, it would be hard to swap this card out. Do you have an image of the card still in the SGC case to make sure it's the same card?

brian29575
10-28-2015, 06:00 AM
With the staining at the top of the card and the bottom left corner, along with great centering, it would be hard to swap this card out. Do you have an image of the card still in the SGC case to make sure it's the same card?

Thanks for the reply. I'm 100% sure it's the same card. Thanks

brian29575
10-28-2015, 06:04 AM
I do not believe card has ever been graded. The sgc insert is from another graded card from 1954 Topps.

JustinD
10-28-2015, 06:06 AM
It's not like those gaskets are solid, they are flexible.

Looking at the right side you can see the card is tweaked on an angle to exaggerate the gap at the top. I take nothing out of the positioning of a card in a foam gasket. To easy to trick the eye.

I would like to see the card placed over another card to check size. To be honest, my quick check at a show is if I am looking at a HOF card is to grab a worthless common from a set builder box nearby that no one in their right mind would trim and place it under for comparison. It's not infallible, but it's worked well for me.

To provide a bit of advice, you have a buyer remorse situation. I would just take it back and save the trouble. Check it when you have it back and sell it again if you feel it's good. Not worth the trouble when you have someone doing this. DO NOT fall for the partial refund because this whole thing seems fishy. Take the return.

vintagehofrookies
10-28-2015, 07:16 AM
Hey everyone,
I bought this Aaron from Brian off the BST and once it came in I measured it next to another 54 Aaron that I broke out of a SGC 30 holder and it was clearly trimmed. Because the card is warped it was very tough to try and get a good scan of the card in any position to show that it was trimmed so in the scan above you see that I put the card in the black SGC paper as I tought that would be the best way to see where it was trimmed and because the card is warped I have to put some on TOP on the card to make sure it stayed put. In-person its obviously trimmed and not miscut but trying to scan it to show that has been a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks,
Dan

vintagehofrookies
10-28-2015, 07:24 AM
It's not like those gaskets are solid, they are flexible.

Looking at the right side you can see the card is tweaked on an angle to exaggerate the gap at the top. I take nothing out of the positioning of a card in a foam gasket. To easy to trick the eye.

I would like to see the card placed over another card to check size. To be honest, my quick check at a show is if I am looking at a HOF card is to grab a worthless common from a set builder box nearby that no one in their right mind would trim and place it under for comparison. It's not infallible, but it's worked well for me.

To provide a bit of advice, you have a buyer remorse situation. I would just take it back and save the trouble. Check it when you have it back and sell it again if you feel it's good. Not worth the trouble when you have someone doing this. DO NOT fall for the partial refund because this whole thing seems fishy. Take the return.

Hey Justin,
your wrong. Its def. not buyer remorse as i actually want the Aaron (its actually the 3rd I've bought in the past week), but I don't want a trimmed one for what I paid

bnorth
10-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Hey Justin,
your wrong. Its def. not buyer remorse as i actually want the Aaron (its actually the 3rd I've bought in the past week), but I don't want a trimmed one for what I paid

Since you say it is trimmed return the card and let the seller examine the card and then if you BOTH determine it is trimmed try to work out a deal at the appropriate price.

Good luck on working this out to both you gentlemen.

pawpawdiv9
10-28-2015, 09:46 AM
tricky on the eyes, Better to have a ruler posted with the card. I almost thought maybe the gasket was crooked at one point. Defintly still a nice centered card either way how this goes.
Add; maybe one of those genius on the pre-war side do one of those over-lays images.

JustinD
10-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Hey Justin,

Sorry Dan, if I pegged it wrong.

Nonetheless it should just be a situation where Brian just refunds and everyone parts ways as friends. He can do what he wants after it is returned with it.

There just seems no logical answer other than that to not cause an unnecessary stink.

vintagehofrookies
10-28-2015, 10:22 PM
we've come to an agreement that we are both happy with,
Thank You,
Dan

JustinD
10-30-2015, 07:43 AM
Good ending. :)