PDA

View Full Version : Channeling my inner Andy Rooney........

Brian Van Horn
10-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Have you ever wondered if winning a card in an auction is like buying a new car.....instant depreciation :D.

tschock
10-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Have you ever wondered if winning a card in an auction is like buying a new car.....instant depreciation :D.

Of the item or the buyer? ;)

Brian Van Horn
10-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Of the item or the buyer? ;)

LOL. In my case, I have already hit rock bottom. :D

1880nonsports
10-25-2015, 05:58 PM
the collector in me is willing to accept perhaps an overall 20% loss on the items I have or continue to be proactive in adding to my collection - when I buy a card as a collector I am by definition a motivated buyer - I am in the weakest position. Most hobbies have a price tag. Lately as I age (although remaining steadfastly immature) I've tried to become a more prudent buyer after seeing and experiencing a devaluation in the price of many collectibles post 2006 or so - the cushion I once had from a newly emerging eBay, a new audience, and a more active marketplace gone. Maybe it's just easier to buy a used car with the depreciation already out of it although after one is done - will there be someone else to take it......
When I've bought with an eye on resale - it's harder for me to handle more than an isolated incident or two of significant losses whatever the reason - I rarely purchase for resale or trade bait any longer. Apparently as in most of life - there are no guarantees - something I had a hard time understanding given the "investor" excesses of the 1990's that fueled my selling in the collectibles market and helped pay for the majority of my stuff - interest and prices seemingly rising without an ending point.