PDA

View Full Version : SGC Reholdering

Bestdj777
10-24-2015, 11:14 PM
Hi all,

I don't submit much for grading but ended up with a number of graded cards in my collection. I pulled one out of my safe this weekend and the label had come loose. I tried to tap it back into place (gently) and the case separated. Fortunately, the card (55 Stahl Meyer Mantle) was not damaged and now resides in a top loader. My question, if I mail the card and the label (I tossed the plastic part) back to SGC will they reholder it for the reholdering fee or is it necessary to pay to have it regarded (it's graded "poor" now)?

As an aside, I purchased the card already graded and it showed up initially with the label loose (I was able to get it centered and back in place then), so I'm assuming any damage to the case was done by the previous owner, in the mail, or when I poorly packed it in my safe. I'm getting a second safe tomorrow to better accommodate my collection to avoid damaging it in the future.

Chris

Stonepony
10-25-2015, 09:52 AM
I can't imagine they would allow it to be " reholdered" ( with its fee ) as there is no way to link the card with the label. It will have to be regraded.
I had a VERY close call with a gorgeous , perfectly centered PSA 7 1959 Mantle. The shipper did not protect the card and it arrived via USPS in a mangled envelope on a cracked and scuffed PSA holder. PSA would not guarantee the grade on a reholder because of damage. I rolled the dice and resubmitted it rather than return to seller. Luckily the grade 7 stood . Bottom line. TPG are wary in reholdering damaged holders

pokerplyr80
10-25-2015, 01:43 PM
My guess would be no as well. Since you don't even have the original holder I don't see how they would consider it a re-holder.

Bestdj777
10-25-2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys! That was my thought as well but figured I'd check. I wish it was on a much cheaper card or at least a cheaper one to grade...