PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth and Joe Jackson

cfhofer
10-21-2015, 04:40 PM
I recently acquired these autographs direct from the Timbers family which obtained them in the 1930s. Most of this collection was auctioned off or sold privately over the last decade. I purchased most of the remaining vintage football autographs a couple years ago. I don't collect baseball autographs, but was willing to purchase these two.

I feel pretty good about the Ruth and I know the Jackson letter is by his wife (although the content is still cool). My question is regarding the printed Joe Jackson cut. Has anyone seen this version before? Did Jackson's sister sign these? The Timbers family said their Dad thought it was written by Joe Jackson. I highly doubt it, given how neat it is. Curious on your thoughts.

Thanks

Mark

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr63/cfhofer/image_1.jpeg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr63/cfhofer/image.jpeg

Duluth Eskimo
10-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Never saw anything like that, but I would venture a guess that it is just a display piece made up by whomever put the album together. Fantastic piece either way. I agree that looks like a really nice Ruth. Jason

Leon
10-22-2015, 06:06 AM
As a non collector but someone who has seen a lot of Ruths, it looks pretty good. It looks like he signed Jackson's name too though :). The Jackson cut, to me, looks way too well written, doesn't it?

Teamgluck
10-22-2015, 07:04 AM
I am not an expert but i know that Joe Jacksons wife would sign most of his stuff for him and that is most probably her handwriting and signature

slidekellyslide
10-22-2015, 07:04 AM
I would guess the Jackson letter was written by his wife.

cfhofer
10-22-2015, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. Having gone through books of the Timbers collection I think Jim received this Jackson cut in the mail. Throughout his entire collection he only used the black corner mounting clips for the autographs. Plus he only wrote his collector notes actually on the autographed items. In addition, there are multiple other autographs in the collection on this same type of pink paper. Lastly, the date on the cut is two weeks before the letter was written, yet the letter mentions prior correspondence.

I agree, the note looks too neat to be from Joe Jackson. However, it doesn't look like his wife or Timbers wrote it either. I'll probably never know who actually wrote it, but honestly if Shoeless Joe didn't write it than who cares.

jad22
10-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. Having gone through books of the Timbers collection I think Jim received this Jackson cut in the mail. Throughout his entire collection he only used the black corner mounting clips for the autographs. Plus he only wrote his collector notes actually on the autographed items. In addition, there are multiple other autographs in the collection on this same type of pink paper. Lastly, the date on the cut is two weeks before the letter was written, yet the letter mentions prior correspondence.

I agree, the note looks too neat to be from Joe Jackson. However, it doesn't look like his wife or Timbers wrote it either. I'll probably never know who actually wrote it, but honestly if Shoeless Joe didn't write it than who cares.

http://www.blackbetsy.com/photosMiscellaneous.html

Looks exactly like Katie Jackson signed and wrote this. Click on the Walter Johnson card.

cfhofer
10-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Jad22,

I'm referring to the printed pink slip of paper, not the letter. The Joe Jackson letter is clearly written and signed by his wife.

Thanks

Mark

jad22
10-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Anything on the reverse?

Teamgluck
10-22-2015, 04:43 PM
The letter is still something of value as people pay decent money for his signature done by his wife let alone a letter