PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Era Mickey Mantle Team Signed Baseball - Want to figure this one out together?

ATP
10-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Thought it might be fun to work on this one as a group. One thing I always love doing when I get a team ball in is trying to figure out as closely as possible exactly when it was signed. This isn't always doable, but sometimes via rosters it can be pinned down to a very short period of time. With Mantle autographs, I love his early career examples and how they morphed from 1950 through about 1955 into what we are more used to seeing. Here is the background on this one. I bought it from an antique shop in Florida, I only was able to see a photo of the panel with Pete Runnels on it, however I knew the cert info and that it had a Mantle autograph on it. That was enough for me to take a shot at it. The ball itself is a Texas League example, with Alvin Gardner as the President (that would put the ball type between 1929 and early 1954, so not a ton of help there). I have not done any further research into the ball other than that today, so the rest of what you will see we can do together, or if no one is interestied in seeing if they recognize the other names (there are a few I have no idea who they are or I haven't had them before, and are likely minor leaguers from I assume the Texas League), I will check back in later today or tomorrow and ID the panels, and see if I can date it more closely. Hope others find this interesting. P.S. Without doing any specific research, my gut tells me that based on the Mantle signature alone and some small details with it, that the ball is from later 1952 or very early 1953 (perhaps spring training as it came out of Florida).

UPDATE: Many names figured out, still need the unidentified ones. Also need to try to tie these names together to come up with a period to date it.

Next Update: More of the minor league names identified, starting to see a major Oklahoma connection with the ball.

Morning Update: All Names Identified. Have found an event from 1952 where all of these players were present, and will post info later on it after I have had a chance to research it more.

FINAL UPDATE: Research completed and signing date determined. Info below in post #10.

Panel 1: Lou Kretlow (born, high school, and passed away in OK)
Tommy Tatum (played in the Texas League from 1950-54 for OKC)
Mickey Mantle (born, high school, and had family in OK)
Russell Burns (played for OKC 1952-1955)
Cal McLish (did play together with Ransom Jackson in 1951, did not make the team in 1952. Also born, high school, and passed away in OK)
Jerry Snyder

Panel 2: Allan Ross (or Allan Cross, not sure who he is)...This is actually AllEn Cross, played in the Texas league from 1950-1954 for OKC
Dale Mitchell (was with Cleveland during the era but coincidentally lived in OKC)
Thurman Tucker (Also played for OKC in Texas League but only in 1952)
Ray Murray (was with Cleveland in the Majors in 1951, traded that year to Philadelphia where he was for several more years)
Joe Frazier (played for OKC in Texas League in 1952 and 1953)

Panel 3: Completed: Pete Runnels
Bobby Morgan (born and high school in OK)
Earl York (lifetime Minor Leaguer in the 1940's and 1950's, played in the Texas League for Tulsa in 1952)
Ransom Jackson

Panel 4: Roy Jarvis (born, high school, passed away in OK, played in Texas League for Tulsa in 1952)
Casey Stengel
Cliff Mapes (passed away in OK)
Warren Spahn (had a home in OK, also passed away there)

Sweet Spot: Allie Reynolds (born, high school, and passed away in OK)

Reverse Sweet Spot: League Stamping

Michael B
10-20-2015, 12:40 PM
#3 Pete Runnells, Bobby Morgan, Earl York (not player) Ransom Jackson.
Cliff Mapes between Spahn and Stengel

EldoEsq
10-20-2015, 02:19 PM
I see Lou Kretlow at the top of the Mantle panel...

Dale Mitchell on in the middle of Panel 2...

I see an Allan Ross at the top of Panel 2, have no idea who that is...

earlywynnfan
10-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Thurman Tucker and Ray Murray below Mitchell.

ATP
10-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks Michael, David, and Ken for the names. I added a few myself and filled them into the roster lists above. Still a few names needed and then to try to come up with the common theme and period date the ball if possible.

ATP
10-20-2015, 07:05 PM
I finished up most of the other names except for one, Jerry "Something" at the bottom of one of the panels. So, based on the players it's looking like it would have been signed in 1952, as that is the date that all of the minor league players cross over each other in the Texas League when all were present. I need to research more about some of the Major League teams playing their Texas League counterparts as they used to sometimes do after spring training and before the start of the season. With so many of the Major Leaguers having a strong Oklahoma connection it's intriguing. Open to any insight if folks can take a look at these names and make a connection to signing date. The ball doesn't have the feel of one that was gathered signatures over a period of time. For those who found this ball interesting, thanks for the input.
Jeff

earlywynnfan
10-21-2015, 05:24 AM
can you get a better angle of "Jerry?"

ATP
10-21-2015, 08:56 AM
Yes Ken, here is a better angle on the last name to need identification. Bottom of the panel of this photo, looks like first name of Jerry. Could be a AA Player from the Texas League teams, likely Tulsa or OKC. Thanks.

ATP
10-21-2015, 10:19 AM
Just figured out the last name, it is Jerry Snyder. On the edge of pinning the exact date to this ball. There was an event in October of 1952 that it appears they were all at. Will update a little later when I have more documentation for those who may be interested.
Jeff

ATP
10-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Research has been completed on this ball. It was signed on October 19, 1952 at Texas League Park in Oklahoma. Warren Spahn's All Stars played a charity game against Allie Reynolds All Stars, with each team fielding major leaguers and minor leaguers from Oklahoma for the game. I will put an AP news article at the bottom of this post with info about the event.

I hope others found this research interesting, and thank you to those who chimed in to assist with names. It would have been very easy to just list this ball for sale with the easy to identify names, but a little extra effort in this case pinned the ball down to an exact date and I think that makes it much more appealing.

"Reynolds and Mantle on losing Side in Y. M. C. A. Game. Oklahoma City, Oct. 19.(AP) —Lefty Warren Spahn of the Boston Braves bested Allie Reynolds, world series star, and Lou Kretlow in the annual Y. M. C. A. benefit baseball game today before 9,789 fans, 2 to 1, on six hits. Spahn, from Hartshome, Ok., spotted the opposing nine of big leaguers to one* run in the first inning but only once thereafter did they get a man as far as third. Spahn also turned hitter, singling and doubling, then scored the winning run in the seventh on Jerry Snyder’s high bounce to second. Snyder plays for the Washington Senators. Mickey Mantle, who with New York Yankee teammate Reynolds played on the same side, was held to a single in four trips and once struck out with two men on base."