PDA

View Full Version : New Philly BB card Show in Oaks, PA this weekend....Oct 30 - Nov 1......Check-it-out

tedzan
10-19-2015, 09:31 AM
The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center at Oaks, PA is the site of this new (2nd year) BB card Show promoted by Fanatics Authentic Sports.

Directions: take the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the Valley Forge exit. Then take Route 422 West, follow the Expo Center signs (10 minutes
from exit).

Admission is FREE........Show times are:

Friday Oct. 30th......... 4 PM - 9 PM

Saturday Oct. 31st..... 9 AM - 5 PM

Sunday, Nov 1st......... 9:30 AM - 4 PM

Dealers that will be selling cards are: 707Sportscards (Levi Bleam), Donscards (Don Hontz, Maine), and at least 8 more vintage card dealers.

I'll be set up with my usual eclectic variety of vintage stuff....19th Century, T-cards (including 200+ T206's), Goudey's, Play Balls, 1948-1955
Bowman singles, and 1952-1967 Topps cards. Plus lots of Phillies cards (1909-1970) for you Phillies collectors.

This show will feature many signing guests (Schmidt, Rose, Carlton, Ripken, Palmer, Bench, Brooks Robinson, Bo Jackson, Julius Irving, etc.)

Last year, I was pleasantly surprised to see many of the autograph seekers walking around the show purchasing BB cards (and memorabilia)
before & after they acquired their favorite player's signatures. The show was a success for the vintage card dealers who were set up at Oaks.

I will try to answer any of your questions regarding this Oaks Show. Or you can contact Becky Batista (Show Director) at......

bbatista@fanatics.com

954-846-5247

Looking forward to seeing some of you guys at this year's Show.

TED Z

tedzan
10-23-2015, 07:10 AM
......Oaks Show starts a week from today. Show hours on Friday Oct. 30th are 4 PM - 9 PM.

Collectors....how can you beat FREE admission, and the dealers selling their "oldies but goodies"....instead of just displaying them for their next auction.

Dealers.......Reasonable Table fees......it's my understanding that a few tables are still available.

Looking forward to seeing you in Oaks.

TED Z

tedzan
10-28-2015, 09:27 AM
Let's try this reminder stuff one more time.

Show address for you Map Quest guys......

Greater Philadelphia Expo Center

100 Station Ave.

Oaks, PA 19456

TED Z

MikeGarcia
10-28-2015, 10:08 AM
..and you can see it from the big highway ( 422 ? ) and it's easy-on easy-off and the fall colors are fantastic this weekend...see you there .

Buythatcard
10-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Why don't the promoters advertise the show?

Didn't know there was a show until I tripped over this thread.

tedzan
10-28-2015, 02:19 PM
My understanding is that this Show is being advertised on radio in the greater Philadelphia (and South Jersey) area.

TED Z

tennisguy
10-31-2015, 07:53 AM
Anyone attend? Any reports from show? Thinking about heading over Sunday for a walk through.

Leon
10-31-2015, 08:06 AM
Why don't the promoters advertise the show?

Money?

glynparson
10-31-2015, 01:44 PM
I think there is about as much for sale as the last few valley forge shows. hell Levi himself has out almost as much as the entirety of valley forge. fewer auction house previews, though there are some. Most of the dealers had a decent amount out for sale and a fair amount of vintage. Tennisguy a fair amount of non sport which i know you like. Was absolutely worth my time. Ted was busy every time i walked by so i unfortunately did not get to say hello.

brass_rat
10-31-2015, 04:05 PM
The drive through PA was gorgeous with the trees changing color. Great day for a drive.

I had the chance to meet Ted, which was the highlight of the day for me.

Side note, I kind of felt bad that a number of autograph guests sat there without anybody in their line. Attendance was kind of light, but then again, the prices they want for autographs/photo ops might be considered crazy...

Cheers,
Steve

Rich Klein
10-31-2015, 06:29 PM
Trust me on this, what promoters want for autographs is all based on what the players ask for.

Even for our small show in the Dallas area, where we love to have guests, we will not bring in guests if the price point is too high.

The day I retail a John Denny auto to the public at $69 is the day I get out of the show autograph business. I could not even fathom asking that for his auto without laughing.
INMO, Denny should be no more than a $10-15 retail auto.

Rich

Jewish-collector
11-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Any more reports ?

basesareempty
11-02-2015, 05:14 AM
Trust me on this, what promoters want for autographs is all based on what the players ask for.

Even for our small show in the Dallas area, where we love to have guests, we will not bring in guests if the price point is too high.

The day I retail a John Denny auto to the public at $69 is the day I get out of the show autograph business. I could not even fathom asking that for his auto without laughing.
INMO, Denny should be no more than a $10-15 retail auto.

Rich

The reason Denny is so much is he only does a public signing every 5 years or so. He is a Cy Young winner and World Champion and this keeps his demand up so he can ask for more. Smart if you ask me. Why sign 500 autos at $10 each when you can sign 100 for $50 each and get the same money.

Rich Klein
11-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Actually Denny never pitched for a World Championship team

He does have a Cy Young award and an ERA title

But I repeat what I sad, IMHO $69 is way too much for a player of his calilber

tedzan
11-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Attendance at this Show was considerably lower than last year's Oaks Show.

While searching for pre-war cards in the showroom, I came across 14 dealers with vintage cards. And, the only Auction house set up was Memory Lane.
Incidentally, several dealers who set up at Hunt's September show were also set up at this one.

For you Tobacco card fans, Levi and I were the only guys with a good inventory of tobacco cards. The majority of my sales at the show were T206 cards.
Especially, ones with tougher backs (AMERICAN BEAUTY 460, EPDG, brown HINDU, SOVEREIGN 460, etc.)

TED Z

Hankphenom
11-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Halloween weekend, especially with Halloween on a Saturday, would seem to be a bad time to hold a show. You've knocked out anyone with kids of that age, and lots of other people, too.