PDA

View Full Version : Is there a definitive Zeenut gallery somewhere?

conor912
10-15-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm looking to browse images of every Zeenut card made/known. I know it's a lot of cards, but I wasn't sure if there is a website or book out there that has taken a stab at it. Thanks.

Baseball Rarities
10-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Nope. I wish there was, but i am not aware of anything ever being published. There are some checklists that are pretty complete, but certainly nothing with images of "every Zeenut card made/known."

bcornell
10-15-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm looking to browse images of every Zeenut card made/known. I know it's a lot of cards, but I wasn't sure if there is a website or book out there that has taken a stab at it. Thanks.

Conor - You should look for a copy of Jim Horne's Zeenut publication. It's not easy to find now, but it appears sometimes on eBay and elsewhere. It doesn't have pictures of all Zeenuts, but it's got representative examples. That's the best you're going to do...

Bill

rhettyeakley
10-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Not a complete photo gallery as it is merely my own collection of Zeenut cards but my online gallery is about as close as you are going to find. I have spent quite a bit of time uploading images of my cards to my www.StarsOfTheDiamond.com website. I know there are quite a few collectors that frequently refer to my website. I don't claim it to be anything more than my own collection, (although I'd love to add more to it). I focus mainly on the 1911 to 1928 sets but have been picking up more and more 1929-1938 cards lately so hopefully I can continue to add to the collection over time.

http://www.starsofthediamond.com/zeenuts.html

There are about 2,200 images currently with another 100 or so to be added shortly. The images are NOT super high quality by design (as I don't really want people to steal images for their own gain or anything, but don't mind anyone using them as a reference guide)

edjs
10-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Rhett is right, his sight is a great way to see a bunch of Zeenuts. Nothing else I have found comes close.

Baseball Rarities
10-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Rhett is right, his sight is a great way to see a bunch of Zeenuts. Nothing else I have found comes close.

+1

I had not visited Rhett's site in quite a while. That is a tremendous group of Zeenuts that he has there, along with the rest of his collection.

pariah1107
10-16-2015, 12:02 AM
No, but there are definitive Zeenut collections. Assemble them and it may be made...

philliesphan
10-16-2015, 03:41 AM
My collecting dream would be for there to be a coffee table book much like the Old Judge one, documenting Zeenuts, the years, the rarities, the variations, etc.

Conor - to your specific question, there are dozens of Zeenuts across the years for which images would be extra ordinarily hard, if not impossible, to access. Yes, we all know about the Bohen card. But there are dozens more at that level of rarity, many of which are missing from the collections of those that have been actively looking for decades.

For example, there was a private auction last year for a 1920 Zeenut of Ross, from Portland. This beat up Zeenut sold for over $800-, just one of those cards that is invariably missing from the many "partial sets" that you see of Zeenuts that infrequently get auctioned. There are many other cards like that, if not significantly rarer.

Mad props to Rhett for all that he has shared with his scans. I'd like to put together a site sometime that shows tabbed Zeenuts with a few dozen examples, spanning the possible years. Probably a 2016 New Year's Resolution.

oaks1912
10-16-2015, 10:46 AM
A picture book is a great idea, but along the lines of the wonderful effort on the Old Judge Book, there are too few individuals that would pay the necessary costs to research, publish and support such a book. You would likely sell less than 250 copies. There are currently only a few images , among the 4000 + different known cards, which are missing from modern collector's access. Rhett's website is the best online image source and likely will be for awhile. The California Historical Society in San Francisco houses the Dick Dobbins Zeenut collection, but has restricted access and charges for each individual image (No cameras are allowed in the research room)

qed2190
10-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Rhetts site is the best I check every week to see what he has added

toppcat
10-16-2015, 11:27 AM
A picture book is a great idea, but along the lines of the wonderful effort on the Old Judge Book, there are too few individuals that would pay the necessary costs to research, publish and support such a book. You would likely sell less than 250 copies. There are currently only a few images , among the 4000 + different known cards, which are missing from modern collector's access. Rhett's website is the best online image source and likely will be for awhile. The California Historical Society in San Francisco houses the Dick Dobbins Zeenut collection, but has restricted access and charges for each individual image (No cameras are allowed in the research room)

Mark, how complete was Dick's collection?

oaks1912
10-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Dave...The Dobbins collection is lacking less than 100 of the cards listed in Jim Horne's 1977 checklist (appx 3700 cards listed) . There are however numerous printing variances that are not included in the Dobbins collection. Dick worked on his collection about 50 years. He met several of the players in the Zeenut series and had them autograph their card. The Zeenut collection is housed in large archival albums, along with many other Pacific Coast League cards. Its a great way to spend an afternoon, but advanced reservations are mandatory , and there are numerous restrictions, along the lines of viewing the Burdick Collection in New York.

caramelcard
10-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Cmon Mark. Just write the book. I'll chip in on the cost.

shernan30
10-16-2015, 04:58 PM
I'll help with the research and chip in on the publishing cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

conor912
10-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll just do the best with what I can find.