PDA

View Full Version : Anyone collect '50 Bowman?

vintagebaseballcardguy
10-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Every time I say that I won't build another set, I change my mind. It seems pretty doable, it is relatively small, no big error cards, etc. It does have some nice looking cards and several HOFers. Do any of you have any thoughts on this set or any experiences with it? This is one I believe I could/would complete.

Honestly, I have been pretty rudderless lately. Outside of some additions to a small Ted Williams collection, I have really not achieved much of anything. I have contemplated some projects (like Cardinals team sets) but haven't gotten going on anything else. I have gotten too good at starting and abandoning projects. I tend to like everything 1950s, and I think that is part of my problem...

ALR-bishop
10-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I have done a Bowman run, 48-55, but 50 may be my least favorite of those sets

Griffins
10-13-2015, 12:03 PM
The low numbers in '50 were surprisingly tough. Paul Stark told me once that he thought they were as tough as '52 highs, and while I don't completely agree with him it did take longer than I would've thought.

Hot Springs Bathers
10-13-2015, 01:01 PM
I agree with Anthony but if are not looking for high grades it is not tough at all.

vintagebaseballcardguy
10-13-2015, 01:03 PM
I am a mid grade guy, so it wouldn't be too bad hopefully if I opt to go that route.

kailes2872
10-13-2015, 02:00 PM
I am a few short of completing, but the remaining 17 or so are all high dollar HOFers. I think by cost/value, I have more in front of me than behind me.

Griffins
10-13-2015, 03:18 PM
I was looking for mid grade, aren't super picky about centering, and often value finishing a set over waiting for a bargain, and still found the low numbers tough.

vintagebaseballcardguy
10-13-2015, 03:46 PM
I was looking for mid grade, aren't super picky about centering, and often value finishing a set over waiting for a bargain, and still found the low numbers tough.

I think that my approach would be much like yours, but it might be hard for me to let go of centering. Unfortunately, that has grown on me over the years and I can't seem to let go of it.

Are you building your set graded or ungraded? Actually, that question is for all of you.

Griffins
10-13-2015, 04:43 PM
raw, but many of the low numbers I bought were PSA 3-5, which I cracked.
Centering, from what I saw, was not as big an issue on this set as some others. It was either pretty decent or completely miscut, which I passed on.

vintagebaseballcardguy
10-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Speaking of centering and condition generally (1950 Bowman or most any other set) it occurs to me that if I would simply lower my standards a little, I could accomplish so much more. I shy away from building certain sets because I have programmed myself into thinking that everything has to be ex, exmt, or better and, therefore, it gets more expensive than I want it to. Collecting is just a hobby to me; I enjoy the look of the cards. I don't want to build sets full of beaters, but accepting light creasing away from the main part of the image and/or less than perfect centering (not miscuts) wouldn't be the end of the world...

vintagebaseballcardguy
10-13-2015, 04:57 PM
raw, but many of the low numbers I bought were PSA 3-5, which I cracked.
Centering, from what I saw, was not as big an issue on this set as some others. It was either pretty decent or completely miscut, which I passed on.

Good point, I had been noticing that the centering on the '50 set didn't appear super noticeable unless (like you said) a card was miscut. Thanks for your input. Good luck on finishing up. I just want to start something I like and finish.

PolarBear
10-24-2015, 09:57 PM
One of my favorite Bowman sets along with the 52 and 53.

Volod
10-25-2015, 08:10 AM
First collecting cards as a seven-year-old, I thought the 1952 Bowman set was the greatest thing since the Lone Ranger - and to some extent, Tonto. But, since Topps products had not yet penetrated my part of the market, I bought as many '52 Bowman wax packs as my 50-cent lunch stipend would allow. It was astounding to occasionally see a strange mutant-looking card with a name placard instead of a signature in the collections of older kids, but hard for me to wrap my tiny brain around the concept of card sets from way, way back in 1951, let alone even earlier. Years later, the '50 Bowmans still seemed like just a truncated precursor of the '51's.

tedzan
10-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Kid's story from the Summer of 1950......

After collecting the 1948 and 1949 Bowman cards, us kids were very excited to see the colorful 1950 Bowman cards in the Spring of 1950. During that Summer (when we
were not playing Baseball (or stickball), five of us 10 year olds would gather at one of our porches and play Black Jack....using these Bowman cards as "chips".
I guess I was pretty good at playing Black Jack, since from my original Sportscard collection I recovered 222 cards (of the 252) from this set.

Two 8-card panels from the 1st series (#1 - 72)
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/1950bowman8cardpanels.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/websize/1950BOWMANwrapper25x.jpg

5th 36-card complete uncut sheet....#145 - 180
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/websize/1950Bowman5thSheet25x.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/websize/1950Bowman5thSheet25xxA.jpg

(Pardon this segmented scan....this 36-card sheet is simply too large for my scanner. I had to improvise.)

TED Z

jared6180
10-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Just found this website and just found this thread. I really like the 1950 Bowman set. The best part are the colors and art, plus centering doesn't seem to be as terrible as consistently as other sets. I would love to do this set and if I do I am starting with Jackie Robinson and a couple other more expensive guys, then chase some commons and finish up. I want all min in PSA holders, but I'm not a competitor, my overall set grade may be 2.5-3, it is about completing it!

vintagebaseballcardguy
10-29-2015, 04:43 PM
I agree. It is a very "doable" set. I like the look and the manageable player selection as well. It is on my to do list. I had actually waved the white flag on set building, but I just can't get it out of my system. Right now, it is '56 Topps, but I will get to '50 Bowman in time. Best of luck in your pursuit of this great looking set!

swarmee
10-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Make sure to use comc.com and make offers.

I have been known to accept offers of up to 50% off in the past...
http://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt/Cards/Baseball,sc,vDetails,=1950+bowman,i100

bnorth
10-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Make sure to use comc.com and make offers.

I have been known to accept offers of up to 50% off in the past...
http://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt/Cards/Baseball,sc,vDetails,=1950+bowman,i100

With COMC now being over run with Dean's Cards does anybody know if they accept offers and if so do they have a set %.

The 50 Bowman looks like a nice set to go after for your fist set, good luck. I am trying the 55 Bowman as my first vintage set now. So far I have a little over 80% and have bought, traded, and was given every one of them from fellow members. With the few I have left I have made it a goal to get 100% of the set from fellow members.

swarmee
10-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Dean's is not accepting offers through COMC. I just tried to offer on a $50 card and the minimum offer permitted was $50. D'oh.

jared6180
10-29-2015, 06:41 PM
So far I have a little over 80% and have bought, traded, and was given every one of them from fellow members. With the few I have left I have made it a goal to get 100% of the set from fellow members.

That's quite a community to help you out like that. I participate on Blowout and YouTube, and hope to be active here. Here is a link to my YouTube, please check it out and look forward to some Vintage stuff in the near future...https://www.youtube.com/user/jarmll/about

bnorth
10-29-2015, 07:16 PM
That's quite a community to help you out like that. I participate on Blowout and YouTube, and hope to be active here. Here is a link to my YouTube, please check it out and look forward to some Vintage stuff in the near future...https://www.youtube.com/user/jarmll/about

Yes there is great bunch of people on this site. I buy almost all my vintage cards off this site and with way over 100 transactions have only ever had 1 not go through after a deal was supposed to be completed.

jared6180
10-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Yes there is great bunch of people on this site. I buy almost all my vintage cards off this site and with way over 100 transactions have only ever had 1 not go through after a deal was supposed to be completed.

Started a WTB thread, hoping to pick up a few PSA graded cards

jared6180
10-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Just bought an ungraded lot of 49 cards from eBay. 13 duplicates but still got 36 of 252 for under $100 dlvd! My hope is the duplicates will be traded for more cards in the set!