PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth barnstorming ticket

GDoggy
10-12-2015, 04:04 PM
This seems to be a Babe Ruth barnstorming ticket from 1921 in Cincinnati. Looks rough, but I have never seen one before. Can anyone verify my suspicion and any idea as to what this one may be worth worth?

Scott Garner
10-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Hi Jeff,
I can definitely help you with this one. "On July 25, 1921 Babe Ruth, in an exhibition game between the Reds and the NY Yankees becomes the 1st player to hit home runs over the center and right field fences at Redland Field. Over 16,000 fans cheered Ruth, who shattered home run records in 1919 and 1920." Redland Field's center field fence was enormous and did not give up many HR's. In fact, Redland Field was considered to be the most difficult park of all to hit a home run of its era.

The quote came by way of Redleg Journal by Greg Rhodes & John Snyder (Copyright 2000).

No guess as to the value, but it's a terrific bit of Reds and early baseball history.

GDoggy
10-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks, great info. Interesting you used Greg Rhodes quote. He wrote the "History of Opening Day" on a site I maintain (http://www.findlaymarketparade.com/Opening%20Day%20History). I know the site looks dated (site is almost 7 years old). I am in the process of full overhaul. The new site looks really nice and will be migrated by New Years.