PDA

View Full Version : Key autographs from postwar sets?

Laxcat
10-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Does anyone know if there is a list of what is considered the "key" auto in each postwar set? When I got back into collecting a few years ago I noticed certain cards being labeled for sale as the "key" to the set. First one I noticed was the 55B Boggus. I think the closest I have to a "key" is my 60T Umbricht.

Any help would be great.

sbfinley
10-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Off the top of my head:
1954 Topps Howie Fox
1969 Topps Minnie Rojas
1978 Topps Lyman Bostock
1979 Topps Thurman Munson
1987 Topps Dick Howser

hawaiian bam bam
10-12-2015, 08:38 AM
55t Jackie Robinson
55t gil hodges
87t Terry forster

dgo71
10-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Not sure these would be considered keys but they are definitely extremely tough to find signed. I believe this list will be similar to those mentioned in the "toughest cards possible" thread that was started a while back...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180372

1986 Topps Doug Flynn
1986 Topps/Donruss Ramon Romero
1987 Topps Ricky Wright
1989 Fleer/Score Donnie Moore
2001 Brian Cole (any issue)
2002 Topps Total Darryl Kile
2003 Topps Total Dernell Stenson
2009 UD Nick Adenhart
2014 Topps Heritage Minors Oscar Taveras (may not even exist)

RaidonCollects
10-13-2015, 03:53 AM
1972 Topps Clemente?

~Owen

slidekellyslide
10-13-2015, 06:43 AM
55t Jackie Robinson
55t gil hodges
87t Terry forster

Why is the Forster tough to find? Does he refuse to sign the 87T?

egri
10-13-2015, 06:58 AM
The 1949 Bowman Tiny Bonham is very tough; he died a few weeks after it came out. I've only seen one, that was auctioned off by one of the members here last March.

theshleps
10-13-2015, 10:14 AM
I have the Adenhart listed above and probably the Stenson. Got them both in person. Anyone with a great offer can contact me

earlywynnfan
10-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Can anyone fill a non-card collector in on why the forster and Doug Flynn are tough?

Cooptown
10-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Can anyone fill a non-card collector in on why the forster and Doug Flynn are tough?

Here's a post from Kaneen on SCN about the Flynn card:

Last weekend I attended an annual charity event in Lexington, KY hosted by Doug Flynn and Johnny Bench. The event featured a banquet and auction with several hundred people and lots of celebrities raising money for Childrens Charities of the Bluegrass. http://www.childrenscharitybg.com

During the live auction, with Johnny Bench serving as auctioneer, one of the leaders of the organization came up on stage and handed Bench 4 1986 Topps Doug Flynn cards. Doug was "ambushed" and had no idea what was about to happen. Bench told the audience that this was Flynn's final major league card in a Tigers uniform and that Doug had never signed them. He then said, "Tonight we're going to raise some money for charity and Doug is going to sign these for the 4 highest bidders."

Doug was stunned (and so was I) by what was taking place. The bidding got to $400 and Bench stopped and asked the 4 high bidders if they would each give $400 to have one signed. They all said they would, and so the bidding stopped and Doug signed the 4 cards. Johnny Bench himself purchased one of the cards, and the other 3 were bought by some of Doug's friends and leaders of the charity, including the guy who had brought the cards to the event. Basically, Doug had no choice but to sign them, or face looking like a schmuck for refusing to do this for the charity.

As I sat there thinking about what had just happened, I was kicking myself for not purchasing one of the cards. It seemed a shame to me that none of these cards would end up in the hands of a collector who knew the significance of the card. So, as the event ended I approached Doug and asked if he would be willing to sign a 5th card if I were to make the same donation. He told me they didn't have any more cards, but I explained that I just happened to have one with me...lol. He asked the other 4 winners if they would mind, and they said no, so he then signed a 5th card for me. I asked him to inscribe "1 of 5" on the card, indicating that it was one of only 5 that he signed.

I then explained to Doug that I was a veteran collector and that there were many urban legends about this card on collector's websites, etc. I asked if he would be willing to let me interview him on video about the history of the card, why he had never signed it, and his take on what happened at this event. He agreed, and so the next day at the golf tournament I interviewed Doug for about 5 minutes about the card. He gave me his blessing to post that interview online, and it can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW2xI4IgbAQ

Another poster on SCN posted this prior to the above post:

At the closing of Cinergy Field in Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago I ran into Flynn at a Hotel. As I talked to him, I couldn't help but ask what the deal was with that encounter we'd had last year, and why he wouldn't sign that card for the kid. Doug told me that it had to do with a charity thing he had planned to do with that card to help out a minister. He was going to sign 5 of them to help raise money in an auction, but before the charity event came off, the minister died. He never signed the cards, and still won't do it.

7nohitter
10-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Awesome video! Very cool to get the player's insight into the collecting world!
Thanks for posting!!

dgo71
10-13-2015, 07:03 PM

Forster was out of baseball after '86 and I had heard he was basically homeless for a while, living in an RV and bouncing between the US and Canada. I know at one point he was tracked down by a super-collector who had an impressive run of signed sets, but I don't think he got more than a handful of cards signed, and most were absorbed into collections immediately afterwards. I don't think it's as rare as the Howser from the same set, but it's definitely a toughie.

Another toughie from the same era is Joe DeSa. His only MLB cards were the 1986 Topps and Donruss issues. DeSa passed away in a car accident in December of 1986, and played exclusively in AAA that season. He did have the whole year to sign the card but it's still a tough find considering there weren't hundreds of minor league graphers in those days.

Steve Bechler is another toughie on his later 2002 and 2003 issues. He passed away in Spring Training of '03 and cards that came out the previous offseason had a window of only a few weeks (barring TTM requests) to be signed.

mrmopar
10-15-2015, 09:34 PM
I always wondered if a 1977 Topps Dan Frisella was possible. I don't know exactly when the cards would be issued each year, but Frisella died New Years Day 1977. If they were released in late 1976, the window had to have been small and it was during the offseason.

woods1999
10-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Forster was out of baseball after '86 and I had heard he was basically homeless for a while, living in an RV and bouncing between the US and Canada. I know at one point he was tracked down by a super-collector who had an impressive run of signed sets, but I don't think he got more than a handful of cards signed, and most were absorbed into collections immediately afterwards. I don't think it's as rare as the Howser from the same set, but it's definitely a toughie.

Another toughie from the same era is Joe DeSa. His only MLB cards were the 1986 Topps and Donruss issues. DeSa passed away in a car accident in December of 1986, and played exclusively in AAA that season. He did have the whole year to sign the card but it's still a tough find considering there weren't hundreds of minor league graphers in those days.

Steve Bechler is another toughie on his later 2002 and 2003 issues. He passed away in Spring Training of '03 and cards that came out the previous offseason had a window of only a few weeks (barring TTM requests) to be signed.

Forster did a private signing back in 2012 for $30 a card. ALOT of collectors got their setters done during this signing. I personally got my 78 and 87 topps done.