PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Dean Chance

cardsfan73
10-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Dean Chance, who won the 1964 Cy Young Award and pitched a no-hitter in 1967, passed away Sunday. He was 74.

I had just finished reading the book 'The Spectacular Case Of The 1962 Los Angels Angels'. Great book about a very intriguing team that Dean Chance played a pretty important role on.

He had an amazing HS baseball career. He finished up with 52 wins and only 1 loss and threw 17 No-Hitters (8 his Senior Year, 8 his junior year and 1 prior). At one point he had won 32 games in a row. He also lead his HS basketball team to the state title in 1958.

As a pro he won the Cy Young in 1964 with an impressive 20-9 record, a 1.65 era, 15 complete games and 11 shutouts... and also notched 4 saves. At the time he was the youngest pitcher to ever win the Cy Young award.

Just two months ago he had made an appearance Angel Stadium for his induction into the Angels hall of fame.

RIP Mr. Chance!

Beatles Guy
10-12-2015, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the bio Scott.

ALR-bishop
10-12-2015, 04:50 PM
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img016.jpg

tjenkins
10-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Rest in Peace, Dean Chance! As a huge Twins fan, it is tough not to comment on Dean Chance. He had two great years with the Twins in 1967 (20 wins) and 1968 (16 wins) throwing in 575 innings in 66 games and winning 36 games. Although in 1968 he had and average record going 16-16 the Twins kinda failed him averaging just 2 runs a game when he started. In 1969 he held out to not receive a fairly hefty pay cut (typical Cal Griffith). When an agreement was finally reached he rushed to get back in shape and hurt his back in the process. He was never really the same again. He was a true workhorse pitcher to that point.

nolemmings
10-13-2015, 09:59 AM
Ah what might have been. Had Calvin just been a little less frugal (which is like asking water to be a little less wet). :( And If that last weekend in 1967 had just gone a little differently, it's possible Dean wins his second Cy, or at least one could have hoped. Horlen finished second in the voting, but Chance's numbers were pretty much the same as Lonborg's, so if the Twins win that weekend and take the flag there may have been some momentum there. I always thought it a shame that only Lonborg and Horlen got credit that year. Lonborg had 22 wins to Dean's 20 and had 26 more Ks, but Chance had a much better ERA and WHIP, more complete games and 5 shutouts to 2--he was more dominant than Lonborg. Horlen had that great ERA and 19 wins, but wasn't a strikeout pitcher. Chance should have got some votes and respect there--just sayin.

Oh, and for years it was recognized that Dean threw two no hitters in 1967, and less than three weeks apart at that. The first was rain shortened and so is no longer recognized, even though he was perfect through five against the eventual champion Red Sox. Oddly, he gave up a run in the second no-no, so both were unconventional.

Great memories. RIP Dean.

tjenkins
10-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Ah what might have been. Had Calvin just been a little less frugal (which is like asking water to be a little less wet). :( And If that last weekend in 1967 had just gone a little differently, it's possible Dean wins his second Cy, or at least one could have hoped. Horlen finished second in the voting, but Chance's numbers were pretty much the same as Lonborg's, so if the Twins win that weekend and take the flag there may have been some momentum there. I always thought it a shame that only Lonborg and Horlen got credit that year. Lonborg had 22 wins to Dean's 20 and had 26 more Ks, but Chance had a much better ERA and WHIP, more complete games and 5 shutouts to 2--he was more dominant than Lonborg. Horlen had that great ERA and 19 wins, but wasn't a strikeout pitcher. Chance should have got some votes and respect there--just sayin.

Oh, and for years it was recognized that Dean threw two no hitters in 1967, and less than three weeks apart at that. The first was rain shortened and so is no longer recognized, even though he was perfect through five against the eventual champion Red Sox. Oddly, he gave up a run in the second no-no, so both were unconventional.

Great memories. RIP Dean.

I totally agree, it would have been nice to find out what could have been. Dean Chance will always be one of my favorite Twins even though his time was short with the Twins. I wish Cal would have just given him what he wanted, maybe he would have won another 20 games, who knows maybe, just maybe, we would have not had to wait till 1987 to win our first World Series. We will never know!

brian1961
10-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Very sad news. RIP Mr. Chance.:(

Someone should also mention that during his glorious 1964 season, he threw 6 edge-of-your-seat 1-0 victories! This feat established a new major league record. There's something noble and heroic when a pitcher nurses a 1-0 lead. Makes the fans nervous as they watch such a tight game; they load up on popcorn, peanuts, hot dogs, Cokes, and beer to enjoy the excitement and soothe their "noives". To have the 20-9 record he compiled in '64, and with that microscopic 1.65 ERA, the light-hitting Angels must have always struggled to get Dean the sufficient runs he needed to win a game. Dean was absolutely no help for his own cause; notoriously, he was one of the worst hitting pitchers in MLB history. As it was, amazingly, he was only 5-5 on July 1, 1964, then went 15-4 the rest of the year!

By the way, the Society for American Baseball Research wrote that Dean pitched five 1-0 shutouts in '64, as did his New York Times obituary. My information came from the 1971 BASEBALL REGISTER, as published by THE SPORTING NEWS. I will stick with the latter, as THE SPORTING NEWS was more of an authority on baseball.

Maybe Dean Chance did not last many years, but he made a huge impression while he toiled the mound. If memory serves, Mickey Mantle did not relish having to face Dean, switch-hitting as he could. I looked up the entry for Dean on the site of the Society for American Baseball Research. Sure enough, on SABR's Biography Project, they led off the entry of Dean Chance with this quote from a certain notable baseball figure:

"Every time I see his name on a lineup card, I feel like throwing up." ---Mickey Mantle

No further comment necessary. ---Brian Powell

Bob Lemke
10-13-2015, 01:41 PM
My custom from earlier this year . . .

brian1961
10-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Thank you, Bob, for sharing one of your brilliant creations at such an appropriate time. Again, RIP Mr. Chance, and may God comfort and provide for your family. ---Brian Powell