PDA

View Full Version : N310 Mayo Boxers Help Needed

monty
10-11-2015, 02:13 PM
I recently picked up 2 N310 Mayo Boxing cards of Sullivan & Corbett. After doing research on these cards I do not believe they are authentic. Since Boxing is not my specialty I would appreciate the opinions of some of you Boxing collectors. In the guide of American Tobacco cards the size of these cards list as 1 5/8 by 2 7/8. The cards I have measure 1 7/8 by 2 1/2. Also, on the back the boxers name is printed small red print with a card # above it. The originals do not have this on the back. In all of my research on these I could not find anything regarding reprints or fakes from this issue. The cards I have are both aged with corner wear and soiled backs. The Corbett has a minor stain on left edge. They sure appear to be old. I only saw one other with a back like this (Sullivan) and the card apparently was found in an old cigar box passed down from the family. Were there ever 'Salesman Samples" of these cards? I still have time to get a refund if they are fakes. Unfortunately, I was not able to download pictures but I feel the info I gave should be enough. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks, Monty

D. Bergin
10-11-2015, 05:27 PM
If they look like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-Mayo-Cut-Plug-Boxing-Reprint-Set-Sullivan-Corbett-Walcott-Fitzsimmons-/151820506878?hash=item23593516fe

They are reprints. There shouldn't be any print of the back of a Mayo.

monty
10-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the info Dave. The red print with name & number are the same as the cards I have. Mine do not have the black print that says "reprint". Mine are also a little smaller in size. The cards I have also look very old and not at all like a newer issue. Was there possibly an older reprint issued too? Have people become that talented at ageing cards? I am definitely leaning towards the cards being reprints but still a bit confused at some of the differences from the reprints that were on the ebay link and wear and stains they have. Would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Exhibitman
10-12-2015, 05:47 PM
You have altered, artificially-aged reprints. Sorry. The fighter selection is the kicker: the two most expensive ones.

monty
10-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks Adam for the info. This confirms what I was suspecting. I have already contacted the seller and he agreed to give me a full refund. I really appreciate you and Dave chiming in.