PDA

View Full Version : What would you grade this 52 mantle at?

Billwinkle
10-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Below are some cards I scanned for my brother. These are a small portion of what he has. I picked a few that I thought were worth grading starting with the Mantle. I enlarged the scans so you can see the condition better. Please grade based on front only. The backs are in like condition.

mmcgruff
10-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I'd say at least vg. Is that a corner crease on the Mantle? Nice cards to have by the way.

Orioles1954
10-03-2015, 03:34 PM
SGC 40 or PSA 3....maybe SGC 45 or PSA 3.5

1952boyntoncollector
10-03-2015, 03:40 PM
nice cards.

id be interested in the Jackie now or after its graded..

also as to the any other 1952s...i would send any commons that are high numbers you think are in the psa 5 or better range and any other number in the psa 6 or better range

pokerplyr80
10-03-2015, 04:07 PM
They all appear to be between a 3-4 to me. Are they for sale?

vthobby
10-03-2015, 04:13 PM
or lower. I'd agree with 3s and 4s as already stated. The mantle HAS to be graded if you expect to sell it and get top dollar. If these were mine, they would already be in the mail to TPGs. Thanks, Mike

pawpawdiv9
10-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Agree ^^ 3-ish-4 range
and its not without a doubt to get it slabbed. Its a MUST.

MattyC
10-03-2015, 06:04 PM
I'd say with how they are grading lately, the Mick is a LOCK 3 with a good chance at a 3.5/4.

Billwinkle
10-03-2015, 06:26 PM
I compared this mantle to the others listed on e-bay in the 3-5 range, the 3-4 cards all have significant colour loss or a crease across the picture. I don't dispute what you say however I don't understand why you say it. Please give reasons for the 3-4 grade. I can see the small crease across the top corner border, and I can see the corners are soft. But there isn't even a crease on the other three cards yet you grade them the same? I am not arguing with any of your positions I just don't understand this whole grading thing. He also has the other version of the Mantle with the full black border around the logo. Is there any premium to that?

Bestdj777
10-03-2015, 06:36 PM
No premium between the different Mantle variations, or at least nothing meaningful. Grading is pretty subjective but the guys on here really know their stuff. I am a low grade collector so I don't have the knowledge. The PSA website has a really detailed breakdown of their grading criteria and is worth checking out.

pawpawdiv9
10-04-2015, 08:06 AM
PSA Card Grading Standards

PSA Photograde™ Online - Take a visual tour of the PSA Card Grading Standards.

GEM-MT 10: Gem Mint
A PSA Gem Mint 10 card is a virtually perfect card. Attributes include four perfectly sharp corners, sharp focus and full original gloss. A PSA Gem Mint 10 card must be free of staining of any kind, but an allowance may be made for a slight printing imperfection, if it doesn't impair the overall appeal of the card. The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse.
MINT 9: Mint
A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
NM-MT 8: Near Mint-Mint
A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
NM 7: Near Mint
A PSA NM 7 is a card with just a slight surface wear visible upon close inspection. There may be slight fraying on some corners. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. A minor printing blemish is acceptable. Slight wax staining is acceptable on the back of the card only. Most of the original gloss is retained. Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.
EX-MT 6: Excellent-Mint
A PSA EX-MT 6 card may have visible surface wear or a printing defect which does not detract from its overall appeal. A very light scratch may be detected only upon close inspection. Corners may have slightly graduated fraying. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. Card may show some loss of original gloss, may have minor wax stain on reverse, may exhibit very slight notching on edges and may also show some off-whiteness on borders. Centering must be 80/20 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
EX 5: Excellent
On PSA EX-5 cards, very minor rounding of the corners is becoming evident. Surface wear or printing defects are more visible. There may be minor chipping on edges. Loss of original gloss will be more apparent. Focus of picture may be slightly out-of-register. Several light scratches may be visible upon close inspection, but do not detract from the appeal of the card. Card may show some off-whiteness of borders. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.
VG-EX 4: Very Good-Excellent
A PSA VG-EX 4 card's corners may be slightly rounded. Surface wear is noticeable but modest. The card may have light scuffing or light scratches. Some original gloss will be retained. Borders may be slightly off-white. A light crease may be visible. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.
VG 3: Very Good
A PSA VG 3 card reveals some rounding of the corners, though not extreme. Some surface wear will be apparent, along with possible light scuffing or light scratches. Focus may be somewhat off-register and edges may exhibit noticeable wear. Much, but not all, of the card's original gloss will be lost. Borders may be somewhat yellowed and/or discolored. A crease may be visible. Printing defects are possible. Slight stain may show on obverse and wax staining on reverse may be more prominent. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.
GOOD 2: Good
A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.
FR 1.5: Fair
A PSA Fair 1.5 card's corners will show extreme wear, possibly affecting framing of the picture. The surface of the card will show advanced stages of wear, including scuffing, scratching, pitting, chipping and staining. The picture will possibly be quite out-of-register and the borders may have become brown and dirty. The card may have one or more heavy creases. In order to achieve a Fair grade, a card must be fully intact. Even though the card may be heavily worn, it cannot achieve this grade if it is missing solid pieces of the card as a result of a major tear, etc. This would include damage such as the removal of the back layer of the card or an entire corner. The centering must be approximately 90/10 or better on the front and back.
PR 1: Poor
A PSA Poor 1 will exhibit many of the same qualities of a PSA Fair 1.5 but the defects may have advanced to such a serious stage that the eye appeal of the card has nearly vanished in its entirety. A Poor card may be missing one or two small pieces, exhibit major creasing that nearly breaks through all the layers of cardboard or it may contain extreme discoloration or dirtiness throughout that may make it difficult to identify the issue or content of the card on either the front or back. A card of this nature may also show noticeable warping or another type of destructive defect.
Half-Point Grades:

Cards that exhibit high-end qualities within each particular grade, between PSA Good 2 and PSA Mint 9, may achieve a half-point increase. While PSA graders will evaluate all of the attributes possessed by a card in order to determine if the card may be eligible, there will be a clear focus on centering.

Generally speaking, a card must exhibit centering that is 5-10% better, at minimum, than the lowest % allowed within a particular grade. It is important to note that there may be cases where the overall strength of the card, such as the quality of the corners and print, will give the card the edge it needs despite the fact that it may exhibit only marginal centering for the grade. This is especially true for cards that find themselves within the bottom half of the PSA 1-10 scale.

Finally, keep in mind that qualifiers will not apply to grades that achieve the half-point increase since, by definition, these cards have to exhibit high-end qualities within the grade in order to warrant consideration. For example, there will not be cards graded PSA NM-MT-Plus 8.5 OC or PSA EX-MT-Plus 6.5 PD since the half-point is reserved for high-end cards within each grade.

At this time, only cards qualify for half-point grades. Coins, pins, tickets and packs will not receive half-point grades.

QUALIFIERS:

PSA will grade nearly every card submitted. Cards having significant flaws will receive "qualified" grades as follows:

OC (Off Center):
When the centering of the card falls below the minimum standard for that grade will be designated "OC." PSA determines centering by comparing the measurements of the borders from left to right and top to bottom. The centering is designated as the percent of difference at the most off-center part of the card. A 5% leeway is given to the front centering minimum standards for cards which grade NM 7 or better. For example, a card that meets all of the other requirements for PSA MINT 9 and measures 60/40 off-center on the front automatically meets the PSA front centering standards for MINT 9. If a card meets all of the other requirements for PSA MINT 9 and measures 65/35 off-center on the front, it may be deemed to meet the PSA front centering standards for MINT 9 if the eye appeal of the card is good.
ST (Staining):
Cards with staining below the minimum standards for the grade will be designated "ST."
PD (Print Defect):
Cards with significant printing defects will be designated "PD."
OF (Out of Focus):
Cards with focus below the minimum standards for the grade will be designated "OF."
MK (Marks):
Cards with writing, ink marks, pencil marks, etc. or evidence of the impression left from the act of writing will be designated "MK."
MC (Miscut):
Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue or ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC."
UNGRADEABLE CARDS:
PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity.

irv
01-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Sorry, old thread, but I am curious, do most send in cards like this to PSA to get graded?

I'm new here and new to most/all this, but myself, personally, I'd be afraid to mail in cards like this due to obvious reasons.

How does one ensure you'll get them back, and how does one ensure, if you do get them back, they're the ones you sent in and not something different?

1952boyntoncollector
01-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Sorry, old thread, but I am curious, do most send in cards like this to PSA to get graded?

I'm new here and new to most/all this, but myself, personally, I'd be afraid to mail in cards like this due to obvious reasons.

How does one ensure you'll get them back, and how does one ensure, if you do get them back, they're the ones you sent in and not something different?

you can always go to a show and hand them off and take a picture....better yet just get insurance on the item...you would think any alleged bait and switch would really harm the PSA reputation...they do really well without having to resort to that...I would be zero percent worried about a bait and switch

irv
01-05-2016, 04:07 AM
you can always go to a show and hand them off and take a picture....better yet just get insurance on the item...you would think any alleged bait and switch would really harm the PSA reputation...they do really well without having to resort to that...I would be zero percent worried about a bait and switch

True enough, but I guess my main concern is losing it through the mail?

Insurance is a good thing but what do you insure it for if you don't know it's value?
Being from Canada is also a disadvantage, but I am sure others from here have sent many cards in?

Thanks.

swarmee
01-05-2016, 04:57 AM
Taking them to a show is one way; some with high value cards have actually gotten on planes and flown to California to drop off cards, or so I've heard.

I appreciate you bumping this thread; did the OP send their cards off and get them back? Or did they make a deal on site?

Johnny630
01-05-2016, 05:44 AM
Great looking cards! As long as the backs are clean I'd say the Mantle is a 4 everyday, twice on Sunday. The Matthews is one of the best centered I've seen, great card also a 4.

uniship
01-05-2016, 06:50 AM
I'd say 3.5. That upper right soft corner prevents anything higher in my opinion. Very strong card though.

glynparson
01-05-2016, 07:33 AM
they, collectors universe the Psa parent company, grade coins worth far more than a low mid grade mantle every day. They have lost a card before as have other services but they aren't going to bait and switch on you. Neither would sgc or Beckett. This has been a worry since the beginning of grading and just doesn't happen, at least at the big 3. Again they have lost material just ask Dan McKee but they don't take your card and replace it with an inferior one.

glynparson
01-05-2016, 07:34 AM
Somewhere in that range.

Stampsfan
01-05-2016, 01:20 PM
One of the issues submitting cards to PSA from Canada is they only accept cards one of two ways.

1) Through the Post Office, Canada Post / USPS. Problem is, when you package them up and bring them into the Post Office, the most Canada Post will insure them for is $1000 CDN (which is now about $620 US). The first time I did it, I sent in close to $10K worth of cards, and basically crapped for several days until PSA sent me an email confirming receipt. The came back graded, and packaged.

2) The next package I attempted to send to them was through FedEx. On their packaging, you can document the contents as being worth whatever you'd like. However, as it was explained to me, they don't insure the package themselves; it's strictly used to document the value so you can claim it through your own insurance company. When the guy behind the counter knew what I was sending (as you have to document the contents on the Customs declaration), his eyes grew large, and I left the FedEx building with the cards in my hand.

What part of Canada are you in? There is a guy in Nova Scotia, Len Pottie, who has an agreement with PSA and has been shipping guys cards for many years. Honest guy, and knows the folks in his local Post Office. Claims he has never lost a package to PSA, and has graded tens and tens of thousands for him and Canadian customers. Now, saying that, I'm in Western Canada and have not used his services myself.

The cards I am looking to get graded now are sitting at home in my safe, among them a full set of V145-1 with the Morenz, Clancy, and Joliat RC's, a 52 Mathews (should get 5.5-6.5) and Mays (3-4), C55 Lalonde in a 6 or so, several 1957-58 Topps hockey RC's in an 8 or so, and others... so not inexpensive cards. Pushing $20K easily based on SMR value, so I'm not prepared to throw them in Canada Post for $1000 insurance. I intend to take a trip somewhere to the US when PSA does an on site submission at some point in the future... although I have no experience in doing so. I've heard the lineups can be huge, and get there early. Others can perhaps comment on that experience.

Canofcorn
01-05-2016, 01:30 PM
I have a 52 Mantle in a SGC 4 holder. Luckily I live in Southern California and can do a walk in service with PSA. Unfortunately they just raised their Premium service to $700 (from $500). I should have done it in August when I intended to. Also, don't feel bad about a 4. Mine doesn't have any creases or marks, and superb color and centering - but I guess the touched corners are the reason.
So, hopefully my 4 will give you assurance that there is nothing wrong with a 3-4.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t361/seabass97166/IMG_8342_zps4u1edl2f.png (http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/seabass97166/media/IMG_8342_zps4u1edl2f.png.html)

I compared this mantle to the others listed on e-bay in the 3-5 range, the 3-4 cards all have significant colour loss or a crease across the picture. I don't dispute what you say however I don't understand why you say it. Please give reasons for the 3-4 grade. I can see the small crease across the top corner border, and I can see the corners are soft. But there isn't even a crease on the other three cards yet you grade them the same? I am not arguing with any of your positions I just don't understand this whole grading thing. He also has the other version of the Mantle with the full black border around the logo. Is there any premium to that?

Peter_Spaeth
01-05-2016, 01:51 PM
That's a heck of a nice 4.

ALR-bishop
01-05-2016, 02:04 PM

+ 1

irv
01-05-2016, 04:16 PM
One of the issues submitting cards to PSA from Canada is they only accept cards one of two ways.

1) Through the Post Office, Canada Post / USPS. Problem is, when you package them up and bring them into the Post Office, the most Canada Post will insure them for is $1000 CDN (which is now about $620 US). The first time I did it, I sent in close to $10K worth of cards, and basically crapped for several days until PSA sent me an email confirming receipt. The came back graded, and packaged.

2) The next package I attempted to send to them was through FedEx. On their packaging, you can document the contents as being worth whatever you'd like. However, as it was explained to me, they don't insure the package themselves; it's strictly used to document the value so you can claim it through your own insurance company. When the guy behind the counter knew what I was sending (as you have to document the contents on the Customs declaration), his eyes grew large, and I left the FedEx building with the cards in my hand.

What part of Canada are you in? There is a guy in Nova Scotia, Len Pottie, who has an agreement with PSA and has been shipping guys cards for many years. Honest guy, and knows the folks in his local Post Office. Claims he has never lost a package to PSA, and has graded tens and tens of thousands for him and Canadian customers. Now, saying that, I'm in Western Canada and have not used his services myself.

The cards I am looking to get graded now are sitting at home in my safe, among them a full set of V145-1 with the Morenz, Clancy, and Joliat RC's, a 52 Mathews (should get 5.5-6.5) and Mays (3-4), C55 Lalonde in a 6 or so, several 1957-58 Topps hockey RC's in an 8 or so, and others... so not inexpensive cards. Pushing $20K easily based on SMR value, so I'm not prepared to throw them in Canada Post for $1000 insurance. I intend to take a trip somewhere to the US when PSA does an on site submission at some point in the future... although I have no experience in doing so. I've heard the lineups can be huge, and get there early. Others can perhaps comment on that experience.

Great help, SF. I am in Ontario so sending them to NS is closer, but like you, I'd like to wait and find a on site submission too. Your story about your PO guy is one of many reasons I don't want to ship them! Cards are well known about these and even if the person look trusting, being a man or women, you just never know? Color me paranoid I guess.

Can't believe that card is only a 4! Looks nr/mt 6 at least to me, but what do I know?

cammb
01-09-2016, 02:45 PM
I have a 52 Mantle in a SGC 4 holder. Luckily I live in Southern California and can do a walk in service with PSA. Unfortunately they just raised their Premium service to $700 (from $500). I should have done it in August when I intended to. Also, don't feel bad about a 4. Mine doesn't have any creases or marks, and superb color and centering - but I guess the touched corners are the reason.
So, hopefully my 4 will give you assurance that there is nothing wrong with a 3-4.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t361/seabass97166/IMG_8342_zps4u1edl2f.png (http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/seabass97166/media/IMG_8342_zps4u1edl2f.png.html)

I would make the investment and walk it into PSA. There is somethng keeping that card from an Excellent or better. If PSA slabs as a 4 then no harm. It can only go up.

HRBAKER
01-09-2016, 08:55 PM
$700 for walk-in service?

Canofcorn
01-09-2016, 08:57 PM

Yep. Anything valued over $10k.
Used to be $500 in December.

I even had them ask a Manager for a $500 exception. No dice. If anybody has the hookup please let me know.

Peter_Spaeth
01-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Used to be $500 in December

If you're holding onto it I wouldn't spend the money, if you are selling and feel it has a decent shot to cross definitely worth it IMO.

irv
01-09-2016, 10:15 PM

:eek:

Used to be $500 in December.

I even had them ask a Manager for a $500 exception. No dice. If anybody has the hookup please let me know.

I assume it's because they have to drop what they're doing to grade/rate your card so there is a premium to pay for that quick service?

If you're holding onto it I wouldn't spend the money, if you are selling and feel it has a decent shot to cross definitely worth it IMO.

I agree, especially at $700 bucks a pop!

1952boyntoncollector
01-09-2016, 10:19 PM
I would make the investment and walk it into PSA. There is somethng keeping that card from an Excellent or better. If PSA slabs as a 4 then no harm. It can only go up.

I really cant see SGC being in business down the line if every high dollar card is told be crossed to PSA..

plus its always interesting in the AH's than when they have a sought after item..its usually not in a PSA holder so everyone has to do the cross over game in their estimates and what they want to pay versus risk...

Canofcorn
01-09-2016, 10:22 PM
:eek:

I assume it's because they have to drop what they're doing to grade/rate your card so there is a premium to pay for that quick service?!

No that is the cost whether it's mailed in, submitted at a show, or a walk in:

PREMIUM *$700
Any card with a declared value of $10,000 or higher must be submitted at this service level.
ESTIMATED Turnaround: Same Day

irv
01-11-2016, 06:53 PM
No that is the cost whether it's mailed in, submitted at a show, or a walk in:

PREMIUM *$700
Any card with a declared value of $10,000 or higher must be submitted at this service level.
ESTIMATED Turnaround: Same Day

That's pricey, but I assume there is a good reason for that high price?

Side question, how do these companies, SGC, PSA or Beckett Authorize cards?

Am I also to assume, if your card is graded and slabbed it is also Authorized?

swarmee
01-11-2016, 09:07 PM
When you say "Authorized" do you mean "Authenticated?" Yes, if any of those services slabs your card with a number grade on the card, they are calling it authentic and unaltered. And many have an insurance policy that protects a buyer if their authentication is later found to be in error.

swarmee
01-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Duplicate post.

irv
01-12-2016, 06:59 PM
When you say "Authorized" do you mean "Authenticated?" Yes, if any of those services slabs your card with a number grade on the card, they are calling it authentic and unaltered. And many have an insurance policy that protects a buyer if their authentication is later found to be in error.

Rough week for me! :o Yes, I meant authenticated, not sure where I got authorized from?? :confused: