PDA

View Full Version : Giving back potential HOF items

Runscott
10-01-2015, 04:06 PM
We've discussed giving back significant game-used items to players, but quite frankly - many players could care less. And out of those that care a little, they might very well give the item to the HOF.

Given that I think the MLB HOF is a blight on the sport I love, I doubt I would give anything back;e.g.-player's career 3000th hit baseball - if I thought it might end up there.

Thoughts?

Sean1125
10-01-2015, 05:36 PM
I think you go to the games for the chance to catch that pop fly... If it so happens to be a future HoF's 3,000th hit then you have hit a lottery within a lottery.

IMO people should keep those kinds of pieces themselves.

esd10
10-15-2015, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't give it back and I would tell them they can win it at the auction if they really wanted it.

packs
10-16-2015, 08:57 AM
For a long time I dreamed of finding something that the HOF would want to display with my name next to it as the donor. But after finding out how little the HOF actually cares about it's items, I'd never give anything to them.

djson1
10-16-2015, 12:09 PM
I can understand a player wanting a milestone ball back. But I've always been shocked by how little that player or organization will exchange with the individual. I've heard of just a signed ball, a pair of tix (if even that!), and a chance to meet the player backstage in exchange for the ball back. We're talking about guys who earn more money than most of us will ever see in our lifetimes and they only offer weak exchanges like that?! I think a big fat check should be more than fair.

packs
10-16-2015, 03:06 PM
I agree. The team or player should pay market price for the item. I don't know what compels people to give players anything. That guy won't even write his name down for you 9 times out of 10.

pokerplyr80
10-16-2015, 03:22 PM
I agree. The team or player should pay market price for the item. I don't know what compels people to give players anything. That guy won't even write his name down for you 9 times out of 10.

I agree. I would try to get an estimate or appraisal for a value and offer it to the player first at that price. If not, it would go to auction. This is assuming it was a piece worth 10s of thousands of dollars or more. If it didn't have a lot of value, say some rookie's first home run ball I might try to get some tickets or a few autographed items.

I don't understand how someone could catch a ball worth their entire year's salary, or many times more, and just give it back to someone who makes millions. I guess I'm not that nice of a guy.

packs
10-16-2015, 03:26 PM
If they asked Derek Jeter today what the name of the guy was who gave back his 3,000th hit, do you think he'd be able to tell you?

Jantz
10-16-2015, 09:44 PM
Why is the baseball the fan's property in the first place?

Just because he caught it?

Its not like an outfielder throwing a third out pop fly ball into the stands to a fan as a souvenir or a football player tossing the football into the stands after scoring a touchdown.

If a baseball player hits a milestone homerun into the stands, that's his accomplishment and if he wants the ball back, he should have it.

steve B
10-16-2015, 10:45 PM
I don't go to enough games and don't sit in the seats where it's likely I'll have a remote chance at a ball from a milestone.

But for me it would depend on the player. If it was a player I really liked I'd probably give it back especially if I could actually hand it to them instead of a team lackey.

Players I didn't like? Probably not.
Arod, Sheffield (Yes, I know he's retired) guys like that nope, unless they really made it worthwhile.

Jeter would have been a harder decision. I'm not really a fan of his, I always felt he got a lot of hype - not his fault, but still annoying. And was always just a bit too smooth and polished. But even being a Sox fan I have a lot of respect for how he played and some of his attitudes towards the game in general and the rivalry. A player who says he appreciates being booed in Fenway because that's the game and that the fans don't generally do that with the average players can't be all bad. (And now they're both retired - Nomar is still better :D )

Which is all odd now that I'm typing it.
A player I like would get back an item that I'd probably keep otherwise.
The player I didn't like would get back an item I'd probably just sell. (With some regret, since it would be a really great item. )

Not exactly logical, but it'll have to do.

Steve B