PDA

View Full Version : Damn skunks

Leon
10-01-2015, 07:31 AM
I had to get up at 230am this morning and deal with my 3 doggies (rescues) having trapped a skunk in their large fenced in area behind our house. After I shined a light on the dogs and got them away it gave the skunk time to find his way out... My wife thinks the skunk got under the house, I don't think so. Anyway, just another day.....and skunk smell everywhere.

bnorth
10-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Do you plan on setting up a live trap or shooting the skunk? Chances are if the skunk was goofy enough to get into the fenced in area with 3 dogs it probably has rabies.

Jantz
10-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Don't get sprayed Leon. :)

Worst headache you will ever experience!

At least that's what happen to me. ;)

Leon
10-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Do you plan on setting up a live trap or shooting the skunk? Chances are if the skunk was goofy enough to get into the fenced in area with 3 dogs it probably has rabies.

This wasn't my first rodeo with skunks. There is a lot of new clearing going on behind our property. No doubt that is why the skunk was there. I don't believe he had rabies. I am fairly familiar with the way to spot that. Had this been in the day time it would be more likely he would have rabies. I am sure the dogs were asleep when he got in, but they weren't asleep for long. I went out there once to quiet them down and didn't see the skunk. When I came back in and they kept their frantic barking I went out with a flashlight and saw the issue (skunk entrapped).
Out of the several skunks we have dealt with I have only had one put down and I will never do that again. I will do whatever it takes to trap and release. It's difficult but it can be done. And I have been sprayed at but so far (knock on wood) I haven't been directly hit. The dogs can't say the same.....poor things.

frankbmd
10-01-2015, 02:15 PM
If anyone on this board knows about all the skunks, it would be Leon.:rolleyes: