PDA

View Full Version : OT: Glass Plate Negative Question

btcarfagno
09-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Is there such a thing as a second generation glass plate negative? Is that even possible? Or does the fact that it is a glass plate negative automatically make it first generation?

Thanks for any help.

Tom C

Bicem
09-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Good question. Also, are each unique or can there be multiples of the same first gen plate?

Joe_G.
09-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but the following is possible:

1) you can create a glass plate "positive" from an original glass plate negative, but not a negative directly from a negative.

2) you can create a negative from a print/photo positive by taking photo of it. This could be considered a second generation negative that could be produced at any point after the original.

OJ cabinets were made from original 1st gen negative where as N172s could be considered as creations from a 2nd generation negatives (once removed from the original negative; ie re-photographed images that have been doctored with advertising etc.).

btcarfagno
09-29-2015, 09:33 PM
That sounds reasonable. I would assume that, back in the 1900's-1930's this practice of taking a picture of a picture would only have been done in situations such as the OJ's where advertising was added, and not of just normal baseball scenes.

Tom C

Bicem
09-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Are you asking in relation to the Profiles lot?

btcarfagno
09-29-2015, 09:51 PM
Are you asking in relation to the Profiles lot?

How'd ya guess?

Tom C

drcy
09-29-2015, 10:01 PM
There are second generation glass negatives, but most are original and all are necessarily old. Glass as the material was replaced by plastic film about 1930s, which obviously means negatives (and photographic slides) made of glass are antique. Obviously originals are the most desirable, but glass negatives and slides are a safe buying bet because you know at the least they are antique.

D. Bergin
09-30-2015, 12:14 AM
I've seen plenty of 2nd generation glass negs. Photo of a photo and such.

The quality of such, just like in 1st generation photos, often lies in the skill of the photographer. An extremely talented and detail oriented photographer could take a picture of a picture and make it very hard to tell the difference for many people.

Others are pretty obvious.

prewarsports
09-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Agreed. If you took a "photo of a photo" in 1930 the resulting product would be another glass plate negative that when developed would render you a second generation (type 3-4) image if using the psa system. I have seen a ton of them. Earlier glass negatives from the 19th century-1920 are generally bigger (around 4X6 inches) and the glass edges are rougher. More modern glass negatives from the 1920's and 1930's are smaller (around 5X4) and machine cut edges.

Rhys

milkit1
09-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Ah the profiles lot. What a great lot it was.

btcarfagno
09-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Ah the profiles lot. What a great lot it was.

I certainly hope so.

:eek:

Tom C