PDA

View Full Version : And let the games begin - REA is underway!

scooter729
09-28-2015, 10:34 AM
REA's fall auction is underway - very nice stuff!

REA Fall auction (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/)

h2oya311
09-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Very underwhelming IMHO. But I'm sure bidding will be spirited (as always).

The Nasty Nati
09-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Some incredible t206 print freaks!

kmac32
09-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Some really nice T207 rarities. Noticed the back side of the T207 Broadleaf Saier appears to have a cracked slab on the back side.

conor912
09-28-2015, 01:48 PM

Overall, I agree. However, I think REA's auctions have taken on AAPL earnings report status....they have produced at such a high level for so long, that it's impossible to sustain. This auction would be a blockbuster for any other AH out there.

sycks22
09-28-2015, 02:05 PM
I hope I win the T206 Doyle. Should go cheap :eek:

atx840
09-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Some great T206 errors and rarebacks.

jimivintage
09-28-2015, 09:58 PM

I'm hoping VERY spirited since 3 lots are mine! 😁😁

wondo
09-29-2015, 03:24 AM
The auction has a ton of cool stuff, just nothing on my "Must Have" list. Maybe I'll get off cheap! I'll place a couple of dozen bids and get blown out by Friday. :D

iowadoc77
09-29-2015, 05:35 AM
Similar scenario for me. Place a few bids and wait for emails saying no dice.

SmokyBurgess
09-29-2015, 07:20 AM
Preparing my nose even as I type. "I love the smell of REA catalogs in the morning".

Beastmode
09-29-2015, 08:52 PM

Agreed. Beginning of the end for the auction houses. Either gonna be major consolidation in next few years or moving platforms to e-bay. The forrest killed with those catalogs...

I saw one, that's right, just one PSA 9 from 71-76. I guess if you like buying jackets worn by Hans Solo, this is your auction.

wonkaticket
09-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Agreed. Beginning of the end for the auction houses. Either gonna be major consolidation in next few years or moving platforms to e-bay. The forrest killed with those catalogs...

I saw one, that's right, just one PSA 9 from 71-76. I guess if you like buying jackets worn by Hans Solo, this is your auction.

Ughhh just a couple of points...not to nitpick.

#1 Folks/sellers are fleeing from eBay due to the fees and nonsense so if anything more auction houses are coming and have been. To many if you ask me. Damn near impossible to keep track of them all....

#2 I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find plenty of PSA 9 cards from the 70s not exactly REA's thing, try Mile High.

#3 LMAO, Marlon Brando didn't play Han Solo.....the jacket is from a "slightly" different movie that didn't star Harrison Ford. :)
http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/net54shared/image_12.jpg

Bicem
09-29-2015, 11:02 PM
I saw one, that's right, just one PSA 9 from 71-76.

That's your criteria for a good auction? :D

Jaybird
09-29-2015, 11:08 PM

Sure. Isn't that everyone's? And I like to come onto this PreWWII Baseball card chat board and blast anyone who doesn't hold the same opinion.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/jasonleemiller/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-29%20at%2010.06.02%20PM_zpsreqw38dw.png

Bored5000
09-29-2015, 11:21 PM
Looks like collectors are flooding in to place bids on the modern Helmars. So far, only five of the 15 lots of modern Helmars have attracted an opening bid. I don't "hate" those cards for what they are, but I don't really understand why they have been in REA the past couple auctions.

Eddie Sm*th

bcornell
09-29-2015, 11:23 PM

You're in luck. I have some very sharp scissors and a black magic marker.

Bored5000
09-29-2015, 11:25 PM
You're in luck. I have some very sharp scissors and a black magic marker.

Scissors? You heathen. That's the reason the razor used to shave Babe Ruth is in the current REA auction. ;)

glchen
09-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Looks like collectors are flooding in to place bids on the modern Helmars. So far, only five of the 15 lots of modern Helmars have attracted an opening bid. I don't "hate" those cards for what they are, but I don't really understand why they have been in REA the past couple auctions.

Eddie Sm*th

I could never understand this either. Arguably the most prestigious auction house for cards having cards that I don't believe PSA, SGC, nor Beckett will holder and aren't listed in the Standard Catalog or other baseball card reference guides. Just seems very out of place.

bcornell
09-29-2015, 11:42 PM
I could never understand this either. Arguably the most prestigious auction house for cards having cards that I don't believe PSA, SGC, nor Beckett will holder and aren't listed in the Standard Catalog or other baseball card reference guides. Just seems very out of place.

Why does anything need to be in a catalog (or in a holder) to justify being sold?

Auction houses will sell Leroy Neiman paintings. The bar couldn't be lowered more than that.

http://thetraderspeaks.com/images/leroy-neiman.jpg http://thetraderspeaks.com/images/leroy-neiman-killebrew.jpg

glchen
09-29-2015, 11:51 PM
I think I've mentioned this before in one of the Helmar threads, but I am unsure whether these cards have the proper licensing. That is, for example, are the proper royalties being paid to the estate of Babe Ruth when his cards are issued by Helmar? Usually TPG's will not holder cards that are not properly licensed.

bcornell
09-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Usually TPG's will not holder cards that are not properly licensed.

Huh?

Who cares about TPG's, in this case? The Helmar "cards" are not graded and not being sold that way. They're fantasy things. Please lighten up.

glchen
09-30-2015, 12:20 AM
Huh?

Who cares about TPG's, in this case? The Helmar "cards" are not graded and not being sold that way. They're fantasy things. Please lighten up.

I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I thought vendors could be sued by the estate for selling items that aren't licensed. Sure, these are fantasy items, but they're not being given away for free. Of course, if Helmar "cards" have been properly licensed, then I take back everything I've said here.

Kevin.Shenker
09-30-2015, 01:21 AM
I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I thought vendors could be sued by the estate for selling items that aren't licensed. Sure, these are fantasy items, but they're not being given away for free. Of course, if Helmar "cards" have been properly licensed, then I take back everything I've said here.

I think they are very attractive cards, but I dislike how minimal the advertisement is on them being modern, fakes/reprints.

If you search for t206 the only thing in the title are the quote marks around it is "t206" with quote marks around it in the title.

The description only says "Collection of eighty-six different cards, similar in design to the popular T206 White-Border tobacco cards, issued by the Helmar Brewing Company. "

and

"Like all of the Helmar issues, these cards were intentionally produced with a distressed look, with most having rounded corners and rubbed edges."

Shouldn't it say, 2015 Helmar or something to that affect to make it more clear this is not a real vintage card?

Additionally, would an an auction house catch some heat if they sell wagner reprints for 5 bucks a clip? I would agree it seems out of place.

glchen
09-30-2015, 01:40 AM
Additionally, would an an auction house catch some heat if they sell wagner reprints for 5 bucks a clip? ...

Actually, that has been done before: Link1 (http://goldinauctions.com/case-of-approximately-(9,000)-t206-honus-wagner-re-lot5214.aspx), Link2 (http://oct13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=61147)

Kevin.Shenker
09-30-2015, 02:34 AM
Actually, that has been done before: Link1 (http://goldinauctions.com/case-of-approximately-(9,000)-t206-honus-wagner-re-lot5214.aspx), Link2 (http://oct13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=61147)

Interesting, however I was more talking about a few cards and not a whole sale sized lot of the same item.

What if they listed just one Wagner reprint all by itself and called it a distressed t206 "Wagner"?

rocarroll
09-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Man you have definitely come to the right place then! Plenty of that here for your enjoyment. See next post for example
Sure. Isn't that everyone's? And I like to come onto this PreWWII Baseball card chat board and blast anyone who doesn't hold the same opinion.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/jasonleemiller/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-29%20at%2010.06.02%20PM_zpsreqw38dw.png

rocarroll
09-30-2015, 02:14 PM
+1 Oh boy oh boy someones original artwork! I'm so excited. I can't wait for the painted plate editions. Will REA auction off my cool stain glass windows of the Atlanta Braves I made too?

Eddie Sm*th

BengoughingForAwhile
09-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Catalog just arrived....Was hoping for a mini magnet. :(

RCMcKenzie
09-30-2015, 03:54 PM
Some neat stuff as always..Didn't see the Han Solo, but I may have to put in a bid or two on Patrick McGoohan's co-workers cape..

Peter_Spaeth
09-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Were the buyers from Cincinnati? :eek:

calvindog
09-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Some neat stuff as always..Didn't see the Han Solo, but I may have to put in a bid or two on Patrick McGoohan's co-workers cape..

That's mine.

conor912
09-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Got mine today...that cover is a wet dream.

mrvster
09-30-2015, 07:07 PM
is a great auction! Some AWESOME T206 freaks/ errors/ scraps and rare backs:eek:

asphaltman
09-30-2015, 08:30 PM
is a great auction! Some AWESOME T206 freaks/ errors/ scraps and rare backs:eek:

It's got some nice stuff, just not the REA eye candy I'm used to seeing. But I think that has a lot to do with REA going from the one auction a year a few years ago to the two. Just so much harder to keep up with the amount of stuff Rob was able to dish out in that one auction a year and try to multiply all that by two.

Beastmode
09-30-2015, 09:02 PM

Yes...as a matter of fact...yes it is. I would of posted in the PW-80 group, but there's only 1 viewer over there.

e107collector
10-01-2015, 06:24 AM
REA has a great auction, but I think a lot of people are waiting for the upcoming Heritage Auction in 2 weeks.

Looking at their preview online, the auction is absolutely amazing!! Incredible selection of high $$ cards.

Tony

Peter_Spaeth
10-01-2015, 01:36 PM
REA has a great auction, but I think a lot of people are waiting for the upcoming Heritage Auction in 2 weeks.

Looking at their preview online, the auction is absolutely amazing!! Incredible selection of high $$ cards.

Tony

7 52T Mantles, and 6 51B, is a good start to any auction.

h2oya311
10-01-2015, 02:53 PM

Tony

HOLY COW!! You aren't kidding! Now THAT is an Auction!!! There are only 4,975 lots to bid on currently...when does Heritage say, "okay, I think we'll go ahead and stop there?"

There is soooooo much eye-candy in that auction, I can't even stand it! I will be lucky to get even one of the nearly 25 lots that I want/need!!

ZenPop
10-01-2015, 07:38 PM
...can't afford almost anything there... though almost all of it looks great.

What I would go nuts for (and has anyone ever done this, outside of individual EBay auctions?) would be a "Beaters Auction"... Just a massive auction of various old items / cards in states of distress. Affordable and cool.

I'd be all over that. Maybe I'll start it up:

ZenPop Baseball Beater Auction:
Where Dreams Come True In The Land of Misfit Cards.

TanksAndSpartans
10-01-2015, 08:14 PM
..."Beaters Auction"...

LOTG did a set builder's auction - similar concept - I won a card I needed in a PSA 4 holder. From what I recall Sterling has a lot of affordable lots. I don't think every AH has the same business model - I don't think they're all focussed on the high end of the market....

conor912
10-01-2015, 09:08 PM
...can't afford almost anything there... though almost all of it looks great.

What I would go nuts for (and has anyone ever done this, outside of individual EBay auctions?) would be a "Beaters Auction"... Just a massive auction of various old items / cards in states of distress. Affordable and cool.

I'd be all over that. Maybe I'll start it up:

ZenPop Baseball Beater Auction:
Where Dreams Come True In The Land of Misfit Cards.

Being a midgrade collector, I am often frustrated by the fact that most single cards in auctions are either five figure low grade cards or PSA 8 or better. But the fact is, there's just not enough money to be made in fees to make it worth it for the AH's to do a beater auction.

Peter_Spaeth
10-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Being a midgrade collector, I am often frustrated by the fact that most single cards in auctions are either five figure low grade cards or PSA 8 or better. But the fact is, there's just not enough money to be made in fees to make it worth it for the AH's to do a beater auction.

There are many smaller and mid size auctions that do not meet that description at all.

conor912
10-01-2015, 10:08 PM
There are many smaller and mid size auctions that do not meet that description at all.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. "That I need" should have come after "cards".

Jewish-collector
10-02-2015, 11:11 PM
REA has to split their stuff into 2 auctions per year, so each auction will not be as good as their Spring auction had been when they only did that one auction.

I still can't figure out how the hell collectors (regardless of how large their collecting budget is) keep tract all of these auction houses' auctions, catalogs, closing dates, etc,... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ZenPop -
I can't afford much either, but luckily there are plenty of low end auction houses, where a poor slob like myself can get nice low end stuff.

Collectibles Auctions in Irwin, PA
Andy Sandler All Sports Auctions in Kingston, NY
Hakes Collectibles (wide range of realized prices)
Hunt's monthly auctions

Stampsfan
10-03-2015, 02:46 AM
Why does anything need to be in a catalog (or in a holder) to justify being sold?

Auction houses will sell Leroy Neiman paintings. The bar couldn't be lowered more than that.

http://thetraderspeaks.com/images/leroy-neiman.jpg http://thetraderspeaks.com/images/leroy-neiman-killebrew.jpg

I agree. He barely paints within the numbers.

egbeachley
10-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Tony

Heritage Auction preview has disappeared. Or am I missing something?

e107collector
10-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Heritage Auction preview has disappeared. Or am I missing something?

Eric,

You're correct, preview has vanished. Maybe they are doing some finishing touches on the auction.

Total lot count last night was 4,901 items!! That's crazy!!

Tony

ls7plus
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
It's got some nice stuff, just not the REA eye candy I'm used to seeing. But I think that has a lot to do with REA going from the one auction a year a few years ago to the two. Just so much harder to keep up with the amount of stuff Rob was able to dish out in that one auction a year and try to multiply all that by two.

Yep, that's my take too. I think it will be hard for the fall auction to escape second fiddle status--selling collectors are too entrenched in putting their best stuff in the spring auction.

Highest regards,

Larry

FourStrikes
10-10-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm hoping VERY spirited since 3 lots are mine! ����

I've got 3 items / lots in REA as well so.. feel free to bring it on!!!

Yoda
10-11-2015, 01:23 PM

I had forgotten the passion that a REA auction catalogue can bring. Just an observation but it seems that the freaky stuff, ghost images, scraps, wet sheet
transfer etc gets more attention than it deserves. If that is where the future money is then let others have it. I will say that the grading company gurus really pulled one out when they decided to keep track of the rare and rarer T206 backs. Pure marketing genius. When I can't sleep, I often recall a special T206 card now long gone, a T206 Griffith batting PSA 7 with a Drum back. We all have had ones like that, I know. John

kmac32
10-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Any idea how long it takes to enable an account for bidding once you fill out the information online for REA?

Stampsfan
10-12-2015, 12:29 AM
I got my new account enabled in less than a day. That was about a week ago.

Pat R
10-12-2015, 06:42 AM
I had forgotten the passion that a REA auction catalogue can bring. Just an observation but it seems that the freaky stuff, ghost images, scraps, wet sheet
transfer etc gets more attention than it deserves. If that is where the future money is then let others have it. I will say that the grading company gurus really pulled one out when they decided to keep track of the rare and rarer T206 backs. Pure marketing genius. When I can't sleep, I often recall a special T206 card now long gone, a T206 Griffith batting PSA 7 with a Drum back. We all have had ones like that, I know. John

I don't think the grading companies keeping track of the rare cards has any effect on the attention or the actual price they bring. The people who collect
these already know how rare they are without the grading companies pointing it out.

Wildfireschulte
10-12-2015, 07:20 AM
It's always curious when lots get pulled without an expaination. I wonder what happened to Lot 971 - Lemon Peel Baseball?