PDA

View Full Version : Legit 1921 W551 1921 Wool's American Maid Bread?

glchen
09-25-2015, 10:26 PM
This 1921 W551 Wool's American Bread Babe Ruth sold on ebay a few months ago: Link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1921-WOOLS-American-Maid-BREAD-BABE-RUTH-Yankees-BASEBALL-CARD-/191503328307). Does anyone know about this issue and whether this card is legit? When I first saw this card, I thought it was a reprint due to the brightness of the red on Ruth's cheek. However, the player's name on the card is proper black color and not the blue color often seen in reprints. In addition, not sure it means anything, but in the PSA Population report for this issue, PSA states they no longer grade this card. Not sure if that meant it was very difficult for them to determine if these cards are genuine or counterfeit or they didn't want to determine if the backstamp on the card was genuine (e.g., someone stamping a real W551 with the Wool's stamp).

Leon
09-26-2015, 06:38 AM
From first glance it looks good but hard to say from a scan. I think stamped backs are just difficult to authenticate. I would want to fondle :) and put the card under a loupe for more accurate analysis. I would really feel the paper and make sure it feels like 95 yrs old paper.

ps...If it is in hand and sans holder I would go ahead and put it under a black light. It doesn't always help but can't hurt and at least that check mark can be done if it passes.

glchen
09-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks, Leon, it's not my card, but it's currently on auction, and just wanted to make sure the TPG got it right, which it looks like they did.

Leon
09-26-2015, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Leon, it's not my card, but it's currently on auction, and just wanted to make sure the TPG got it right, which it looks like they did.

Trust but verify :).