PDA

View Full Version : mini decal bats

minibatsman
09-25-2015, 11:47 AM
My intentions on my last post is I am trying to figure out the years these bats were actually distributed. And with help from others I believe I can do this. The photo provided is a bat that is described as a 1910 Ty Cobb mini decal bat. I believe this is wrong?.
I have been through every document I can find from Palm Fechteler & co. the company that provided H&S with the decals all I can find is 1911 to 1915?.
this is my opinion and not a fact I can prove today.
H&B decal bats in my opinion are 1916-1919 bats that used the decals purchased prior to 1916?.

vintagesportscollector
09-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Bobby, who is describing this as 1910? Can you share the actual auction listing? It would be helpful to see the full description.

It appears you have done some very solid research. I do not know much about these bats, but you very well could be right. Auctions often get the dating wrong, and are very liberal when using "circa" dating to imply something is older than it is, even though not technically correct and they do/should know better.

minibatsman
09-25-2015, 01:02 PM
It is on E bay I didn't no if I could mention any auction house so I didn't.
Ten years ago that bat would have been sold in minutes at that price.
It is a very nice bat.

vintagesportscollector
09-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Here is a listing from Hunts 2005 for a similar bat.

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=24&lot_num=7&lot_qual=

For a bat or any item that could be c.1911 - 1915, it's not unusual to see a listing describe as 1910. Not too far off, and I have seen far worse. I assume the seller is giving a general/approximate date. Good for you that you are doing your own homework, as all should.

The bat on eBay is a very nice bat.