PDA

View Full Version : The Mayo Cut Poe Mystery

orly57
09-20-2015, 09:00 PM
I just bought a mayo cut plug Poe off of Dan (Delsass2000), a wonderful member of this site. As I often do when buying old cards like this, I did some research on the player. It is said that the Poe on the card is Neilson Poe, Edgar Allen Poe's second cousin, and one of six Poe brothers who played for Princeton diring that era.
But here is where it gets weird, I found a very clear pic of the Poe brothers posing together and none of them look anything like the guy in the pic. I would understand if it were an artist rendering like the 1888 Beecher, but the mayo cut cards are actual photographs. I wish I knew how to paste a pic for you guys to compare, but I can't figure out how to paste pics on this thing. Just google "Poe brothers football" and you will see what I mean. The third guy from the left is supposed to be Neilson, but neither he nor the other five vaguely look like the guy pictured on the card.
Does anyone have any ideas or theories on this?

pkaufman
09-21-2015, 08:49 AM
I have done the same research and also found the picture you are referring to lacking in providing any definitive help. I think the Neilson attribution comes from the fact that his playing years fit in best with the date range of the Mayo's Cut Plug issuance. Others on this site have done more extensive research and may be more helpful in explaining this.

pkaufman
09-21-2015, 08:55 AM
I think this is the photo you are referring to.

orly57
09-21-2015, 02:43 PM
I have done the same research and also found the picture you are referring to lacking in providing any definitive help. I think the Neilson attribution comes from the fact that his playing years fit in best with the date range of the Mayo's Cut Plug issuance. Others on this site have done more extensive research and may be more helpful in explaining this.

Exactly what I was thinking. He's the only Poe brother that would have played that year. The problem is that I found him on the 1895 team, not 1894. Not to mention he would have been 17 years old in 1894. It's weird.

orly57
09-21-2015, 02:43 PM
I think this is the photo you are referring to.

That's the one.

jefferyepayne
09-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Mike Blaisdell photo matched the Mayo card image to a photo of Nielsen Poe from his Princeton days that looks very similar so it is definitely Nielsen Poe in the Mayo set. You are correct that his image in the photo with his brothers doesn't look much like his Mayo card but he is clean shaven and has short hair in that picture. Sometimes facial hair / hair style can change someone's appearance significantly. Have you seen Stephen Strasburg since he shaved off his facial hair? Incredible difference!

I'm also not sure when the Poe brothers photo was taken. Nielsen Poe was only about 18 when the Poe set came out and his appearance may have changed significantly if he was still growing / maturing.

jeff

Il Padrino
09-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the comment. Glad the Poe went to someone whom can appreciate it.

revmoran
09-24-2015, 06:04 PM
A photo of the Princeton team from an 1895 program

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersnr/revmoran2/collegeprogramsphotos/YP%201895%20P.jpg

I have a large book of Princeton athletics, maybe there is a photo in there to that will shed light on the card

revmoran
09-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Here is from the book on Princeton Athletics

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zFpgHjkKM60/VgVXnyldGkI/AAAAAAAAPOA/nrHxICKbL_8/s1024-Ic42/Princeton%2525201894.jpg

revmoran
09-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Looks like he cleaned up his act and put on a little weight for the 1895 photo

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MJoACXrC2kY/VgVZNtIQIBI/AAAAAAAAPOM/mN2FDuu6ndA/s912-Ic42/Princeton%2525201895.jpg

jefferyepayne
09-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Quite a different in look between all of those photos!

jeff

orly57
09-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks for those pics Rev. I see it now.