PDA

View Full Version : Buying all #332 Tony Bartirome 1952 Topps cards + his Gold Canary + Griffey + Tiger

dollarscholar
09-19-2015, 11:53 AM
I am on a mission to buy all of Tony Bartirome's 1952 Topps cards that are in existence. It is HIGH card #332.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/colesq10/IMG_20150524_145546_zpsamjot1ap.jpg

This is my a family member & trying to secure them for family, relatives, grand kids in the future. Whenever they pop up on eBay I buy them. I will pay a premium.

Still need the PSA 9's that are out there & will pay $5,000 for one (one I saw on a private card website sold for $3000 or so).

Will pay $1,500 for a PSA 8 (the ones I see that sold on private card websites were $600-$700).

Also there are 12 BGS graded Bartirome, but I don't have one of them nor have I ever seen them. Would like to find those too.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/colesq10/elusive_zpsow7ebf0y.jpg

I have 1 of the 10 Gold Canary cards of him from the 2011 Topps Lineage. Looking for the other 9 as well.

Send a PM! Or text 213 399 3335[/SIZE]

autograf
09-19-2015, 02:04 PM
Wow....Tony must have a LOT of relatives......

cozmokramer
09-21-2015, 12:16 AM
I wonder how many, or if anyone needs this card to complete a set... And how many 52 topps high number cards of the sample player does one have to own to actually affect supply to where it causes an actual increase in price?

autograf
09-21-2015, 06:18 AM
I need Bartirome for my set.....I'm not sure someone could pull a Hunt Brothers on a single 1952 Topps High number. I would have no way to estimate how many of a single number were produced. A LOT, by all accounts, became fish food, so I guess you're starting from a much lower number to begin with. Great display of centered cards. Hard to find 52 Highs that consistently centered. Assuming he has a discriminating taste or maybe this card is more frequently found centered, don't know. Good luck on your quest!

I noticed quite a few of the 1983 Topps reprints of Bartirome for $6-$15 on ebay.....

1952boyntoncollector
09-21-2015, 07:12 AM
I wonder how many, or if anyone needs this card to complete a set... And how many 52 topps high number cards of the sample player does one have to own to actually affect supply to where it causes an actual increase in price?

a lot more than what hes buying , plus hes not prepared to pay 2x 3x the price on 707cards and Deans cards whatever so a .5 increase isnt going to do much..plus many many hi grade sets already with the card on the registry.....plus as we all know in future years card collecting in general will have less people in the hobby until you show me that more people on the registry are younger than older that will be the case..

dollarscholar
10-12-2015, 08:27 PM
a lot more than what hes buying , plus hes not prepared to pay 2x 3x the price on 707cards and Deans cards whatever so a .5 increase isnt going to do much..plus many many hi grade sets already with the card on the registry.....plus as we all know in future years card collecting in general will have less people in the hobby until you show me that more people on the registry are younger than older that will be the case..

I just bit the bullet & bought 707's 2 for $600+.

So I am prepared to pay 2x - 3x the price. Just depends on my mood, & current expendable funds.

I see Mile High & HA auctions sold #332 PSA 6, PSA 7 and PSA 8's for 50% of what I would have paid for them on eBay.
I mean $597 for a PSA 8 #332 !?!? http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/singles-1950-1959-/1952-topps-tony-bartirome-332-psa-nm-mt-8/a/7075-80431.s?ic=ha-rss-search
And $626 for another one!?!? http://www.goodwinandco.com/lot-5062.aspx
What is wrong with HA and Goodwin!?!? Don't they know a PSA 8 sells for $1,000 on eBay!?!? Wish I was aware of these auction houses when they were offered! Who are these owners!? I would love to offer them double then what they paid.

I wish I had started buying this card 5+ years ago. & wish I was aware that people are actually selling them anywhere other then eBay. I'm confused why people would cosign them over to HA, Mile High, Sirius, etc & get 25% of what they would get on eBay for them. 6% fees on eBay isn't that scary!

1952boyntoncollector, you believe 1952 Topps cards will decrease in value? I don't know why you believe less people will be in the hobby. As the population increases by tens of millions more, why wouldn't there be just as many if not more collectors of legendary sets like 1952 Topps & prior?

1952boyntoncollector
10-12-2015, 08:32 PM
not sure why you encouraging these over market sellers to keep prices over market..i guess these sellers are hoping everyone has a distant relative that was a major leaguer

the reason i thought you wouldnt pay 2-3 x over market price was this comment:

"I will pay you a small premium above actual market selling prices, but not 2-3x value"

As for the hobby in general..i dont think im alone in that i believe there will be decline overall in vintage cards in 10 years or so.....always a market for Ruth etc but not PSA 8 commons that are going for $600 etc...plus the ebb and flow of the economy ........for 1952s..until you show me that the top 30 set collectors have an average age under 50 i will hold my position that the demand will decline for the commons versus supply..

dollarscholar
10-12-2015, 08:37 PM
I need Bartirome for my set.....I'm not sure someone could pull a Hunt Brothers on a single 1952 Topps High number. I would have no way to estimate how many of a single number were produced. A LOT, by all accounts, became fish food, so I guess you're starting from a much lower number to begin with. Great display of centered cards. Hard to find 52 Highs that consistently centered. Assuming he has a discriminating taste or maybe this card is more frequently found centered, don't know. Good luck on your quest!

I noticed quite a few of the 1983 Topps reprints of Bartirome for $6-$15 on ebay.....

Autograf - you peaked my interested.I googled "Hunt Brothers", but nothing relevant immediately came up. Tell me the story.

I am trying to own all #332 in existence, & realize it will take decades to do so. Only one by one, set break after set break, by those who hold #332 in sets currently, especially the 32 PSA 8's and 4 PSA 9's.

I now have 37 that need to be graded, & about 50 that already have. That picture of the collection is outdated.

dollarscholar
10-12-2015, 08:48 PM
not sure why you encouraging these over market sellers to keep prices over market..i guess these sellers are hoping everyone has a distant relative that was a major leaguer

the reason i thought you wouldnt pay 2-3 x over market price was this comment:

"I will pay you a small premium above actual market selling prices, but not 2-3x value"

As for the hobby in general..i dont think im alone in that i believe there will be decline overall in vintage cards in 10 years or so.....always a market for Ruth etc but not PSA 8 commons that are going for $600 etc...plus the ebb and flow of the economy ........for 1952s..until you show me that the top 30 set collectors have an average age under 50 i will hold my position that the demand will decline for the commons versus supply..

Not encouraging them. Watched Deans Cards offer a few #332's for months & I never caved in to their rip off prices. Apparently others did though. They are no longer available. I kept hounding them, trying to cut a deal, but they wouldn't do it.

Just depends on my expendable funds level. I really hold out on paying a big premium, but catch me on a good day like 707 just got the blessing of being on the receiving end of, & ok, good for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-332-Tony-Bartirome-Pittsburgh-Pirates-PSA-5-EX-/111785024544

I offered the guy $250 & he said no less then $400! He referred to recent sales. I said THAT WAS ALL ME!!! He held strong. I said OK $275 that's IT!!!! I thought no way in hell any one was going to out offer me, but apparently he sold it for $360 & he thought he was "cutting the guy a deal because he was buying other cards from him". So I was disappointed I missed out on it, & was going to either call his bluff & he'd cave in a week for $275, or I'd come up to $300, but it didn't happen, & he got $360 for a PSA 5. Guess my purchase with 707 gave him that perception that it was worth $400. So yes, my purchases of #332 has impacted the market.

I believe out of the millions of new people on this planet every year, there are hundreds - or thousands? - of new collectors that want to be a part of the vintage baseball card days. I don't see demand dropping. There will be new generations that will want to collect vintage baseball card sets, the same way new generations will collect antique toys, dolls, guns, etc.

My hope is the set holders right now will leave their 1952 Topps sets to their children, & once inherited, they will cosign PWCC's & Probstein's kids to sell them, & I will continue to pick up the SET BREAK #332 cards decades from now!

1952boyntoncollector
10-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Not encouraging them. Watched Deans Cards offer a few #332's for months & I never caved in to their rip off prices. Apparently others did though. They are no longer available. I kept hounding them, trying to cut a deal, but they wouldn't do it.

Just depends on my expendable funds level. I really hold out on paying a big premium, but catch me on a good day like 707 just got the blessing of being on the receiving end of, & ok, good for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-332-Tony-Bartirome-Pittsburgh-Pirates-PSA-5-EX-/111785024544

I offered the guy $250 & he said no less then $400! He referred to recent sales. I said THAT WAS ALL ME!!! He held strong. I said OK $275 that's IT!!!! I thought no way in hell any one was going to out offer me, but apparently he sold it for $360 & he thought he was "cutting the guy a deal because he was buying other cards from him". So I was disappointed I missed out on it, & was going to either call his bluff & he'd cave in a week for $275, or I'd come up to $300, but it didn't happen, & he got $360 for a PSA 5. Guess my purchase with 707 gave him that perception that it was worth $400. So yes, my purchases of #332 has impacted the market.

I believe out of the millions of new people on this planet every year, there are hundreds - or thousands? - of new collectors that want to be a part of the vintage baseball card days. I don't see demand dropping. There will be new generations that will want to collect vintage baseball card sets, the same way new generations will collect antique toys, dolls, guns, etc.

My hope is the set holders right now will leave their 1952 Topps sets to their children, & once inherited, they will cosign PWCC's & Probstein's kids to sell them, & I will continue to pick up the SET BREAK #332 cards decades from now!

You've impacted the market from dealers on your own past buys..but you cant say you really impacted teh market until you see real auctions take place...many members here dont even factor in buy it nows when looking at VCPs....and yes set breaks are what lower the prices for all cards....dealers cant command 2-3x market value if there are many people breaking up sets...even the non-patent collectors can wait a few weeks....when you dont see a card in the market for a while thats when the buy it nows do better...

dollarscholar
10-13-2015, 01:08 AM
You've impacted the market from dealers on your own past buys..but you cant say you really impacted teh market until you see real auctions take place...many members here dont even factor in buy it nows when looking at VCPs....and yes set breaks are what lower the prices for all cards....dealers cant command 2-3x market value if there are many people breaking up sets...even the non-patent collectors can wait a few weeks....when you dont see a card in the market for a while thats when the buy it nows do better...

Problem that I am now seeing, & direct proof that I am influencing the actual market, even in an auction style listing for a #332, are these 2 bidders going at it in a bidding war to win it - just to sell it to me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361402950360

myrondavis07 won it.
doug.41 was the runner up.

They both understand I pay extra for #332.

Both of them have been bidding against each other for multiple listings of #332 now. If I throw myself into the bidding mix, it creates quite the problem.

cammb
10-13-2015, 04:18 AM
A fool and his money are soon parted. Dealers love guys like you.

autograf
10-13-2015, 06:49 AM
The Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market unsuccessfully in the 1970's I believe.....Tony is still alive huh? Does he still sign through the mail?

1952boyntoncollector
10-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Problem that I am now seeing, & direct proof that I am influencing the actual market, even in an auction style listing for a #332, are these 2 bidders going at it in a bidding war to win it - just to sell it to me:

ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-332-TONY-BARTIROME-VGEX-/361402950360

myrondavis07 won it.

Both of them have been bidding against each other for multiple listings of #332 now. If I throw myself into the bidding mix, it creates quite the problem.

the link doesnt show but one auction isnt VCP i saw one go cheap on ebay recently...i guess you will pay extra until you dont.......and that poor guy that overpayed will have noone to sell it too ....all comes to end eventually......i know at least 15 set collectors that have one that arent selling so you may be helping them since they didnt pay a premum but i know a few 1952 hoarders from years ago that had many more examples of the card they wanted compared what you have for #332 and now you can buy those cards with a price that wouldnt give you a second thought that someone may have large amount of the market share on that card because its not reflective on price...

i think one way to raise the market a little is to burn what you have on youtube! Farmers pour out milk to raise milk prices........but i know you state you arent trying to raise the market you have a connection to the ballplayer

I

Peter_Spaeth
10-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Having bought two cards from Levi, perhaps you should retract your reference to him in your initial post as a "scammer."

bnorth
10-13-2015, 07:40 AM

ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-332-TONY-BARTIROME-VGEX-/361402950360

myrondavis07 won it.

The trick is to let those 2 over pay and get stuck with a few of them. You need to have a price limit set for each grade and stick to it otherwise everybody is just going to take advantage of you.

With your buying habits you are influencing the market and will cost yourself a lot of extra $. Influencing the market is really easy. It only takes 2-4 bidders to artificially drive up prices. I have watched a few members on here do it with buying patterns claiming they are collectors and while they still have the market artificially high they dump their "collection" for a huge profit then rinse and repeat.

Sitting back and laughing at how screwed up this hobby is, is as much a part of the hobby to me as collecting the cards.

Good luck on your quest.

egri
10-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Tony is still alive huh? Does he still sign through the mail?

SCF has a Bartirome success from last June. I know I saw several more on SCN in the late spring/early summer months, but I don't have a premium membership so I can't look those up.

dollarscholar
10-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Having bought two cards from Levi, perhaps you should retract your reference to him in your initial post as a "scammer."

Done. Really don't appreciate their lack of compromise or flexibility, so my opinion of them stands, regardless of buying from them to further a goal, but the words have been removed.

dollarscholar
10-13-2015, 09:37 PM
the link doesnt show but one auction isnt VCP i saw one go cheap on ebay recently...i guess you will pay extra until you dont.......and that poor guy that overpayed will have noone to sell it too ....all comes to end eventually......i know at least 15 set collectors that have one that arent selling so you may be helping them since they didnt pay a premum but i know a few 1952 hoarders from years ago that had many more examples of the card they wanted compared what you have for #332 and now you can buy those cards with a price that wouldnt give you a second thought that someone may have large amount of the market share on that card because its not reflective on price...

i think one way to raise the market a little is to burn what you have on youtube! Farmers pour out milk to raise milk prices........but i know you state you arent trying to raise the market you have a connection to the ballplayer

I

Just paid $750 for a PSA 7.5 & that was a private sale from Ed Hazuka. Not worried about market price. Just trying to obtain many examples of each grade for personal family collection of Tony.

Are you saying those 1952 hoarders you know will or won't sell their #332 duplicates? Put out the word to them, & the 15 set holders you know that when they are going to do their set breaks, sell #332 to me, not PWCC or probstein, because they will get more from me directly.

The link works now. Revised it.

dollarscholar
10-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Sitting back and laughing at how screwed up this hobby is, is as much a part of the hobby to me as collecting the cards.

Good luck on your quest.

It is entertaining huh!

The worst pirates hitters of all time:

1B Tony Bartirome (1952) — 124 games, 386 plate appearances — .220 AVG/.273 OBP/.265 SLG (44 wRC+)

You have to be a special brand of awful to be a first baseman, no matter what era, and not hit a home run over the course of a season spanning 386 PA’s. The 1952 season was Bartirome’s only season in the Majors.

And yet, his card is worth $100's of dollars because it's a high number! Love it!

In regards to influencing the market / cornering the market:

One dealer believes such:

I simply asked gfg.com guy the following even though I have bought all of them from him, feeling him out for more:

Do you have any of these cards? They are pictured, but no where to click for them:

https://www.gfg.com/cardimg/119/27352.jpg

gfg@gfg.com
Sep 19

no, the guys nephew is trying to corner the market on them, he keeps buying them all up, I have none

Dave

1952boyntoncollector
10-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Just paid $750 for a PSA 7.5 & that was a private sale from Ed Hazuka. Not worried about market price. Just trying to obtain many examples of each grade for personal family collection of Tony.

Are you saying those 1952 hoarders you know will or won't sell their #332 duplicates? Put out the word to them, & the 15 set holders you know that when they are going to do their set breaks, sell #332 to me, not PWCC or probstein, because they will get more from me directly.

The link works now. Revised it.

The problem is they will die with their collections..so yeah 20-30 years from now you may see those set breaks.. but you may be the only 1 bidding so you can get them cheap by then....plus there are many raw out there that havent been graded...people can pay what they want but it still going to be a ways to go for the card to be rare on the market...plus really only the ex+or better is what the the registry collectors are looking for... however i will let them know...i sold most of 1952 set to several of the set collectors and thats how i know them..

man first Levi and now Ed Hazuka..but Ed sells at better rates..i actually about 10 or so 1952s from him in the past......

D. Bergin
10-14-2015, 12:01 PM
What a fascinating look into the mind of a baseball card hoarder this thread is. :)

A 19-year old 5'10" 155 lb. 1st Baseman, barely out of High School and only one year of C-Ball under his belt. The Pirates must have been in desperate need of a 1st baseman that year. :eek:

He never saw the majors again, but went on to have a pretty respectable minor league career, mostly at AAA.

pclpads
10-14-2015, 01:11 PM
He never saw the majors again, but went on to have a pretty respectable minor league career, mostly at AAA.

He went on to be the Pirates trainer for many years. Back in the 70's, he signed my / his '52 and '53 Topps cards. I remember he took the '52 and was showing it to other Pirates sitting in the dug out. Maybe none believed him to be a former Pirate player? Nice man, very friendly.

dollarscholar
10-14-2015, 04:52 PM
The problem is they will die with their collections..so yeah 20-30 years from now you may see those set breaks.. but you may be the only 1 bidding so you can get them cheap by then....plus there are many raw out there that havent been graded...people can pay what they want but it still going to be a ways to go for the card to be rare on the market...plus really only the ex+or better is what the the registry collectors are looking for... however i will let them know...i sold most of 1952 set to several of the set collectors and thats how i know them..

To me, I get just as excited about a PSA 1 as a PSA 6.... if I see it available, I want it just as bad. I don't mind paying $200 for a 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. If it's raw and ungraded and looks bad, to me it's worth $150 at least regardless of condition. Of course I do recognize the extra rarity of a 7 and up, & paying handsomely for those.....but overall, I like #332 and try to win it just as aggressively no matter the condition or grade, & usually end up paying the same range for any 1-4 grade of it ($250 or less).

Out of the 346 PSA graded #332, I have about 50 of them now. So almost 20% is in my possession. I have 37 more to get graded to spike the PSA pop. Now owning 20% of the PSA population of #332 does seem to be influencing things lately. Of course, I have zero of the 4 PSA 9's and only 1 PSA 8, but it's an OC Qualifier. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few of the 32 PSA 8's by the end of the year (one is on Robert Edwards now, & one is on Heritage Auctions next month, thanks for the tips guys).

My dad used to have breakfast with him, and Stargell and Richie Zisk & Sanguillen at the pantry (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32655-d364736-Reviews-The_Original_Pantry-Los_Angeles_California.html) next to the Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel (where the Pirates would stay).... My Dad got a ball signed from Clemente 2 weeks before he died in the plane crash. My dad was 14 then.

My Dad says he changed his last name to make it easier for announcers to pronounce.... 3 syllables instead of 4.... "Bar - tah - rome .......instead of Bar - tah - ro - mo....

Seems simple to me, but no one ever pronounces our name right.

1952boyntoncollector
10-18-2015, 06:00 AM
To me, I get just as excited about a PSA 1 as a PSA 6.... if I see it available, I want it just as bad. I don't mind paying $200 for a 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. If it's raw and ungraded and looks bad, to me it's worth $150 at least regardless of condition. Of course I do recognize the extra rarity of a 7 and up, & paying handsomely for those.....but overall, I like #332 and try to win it just as aggressively no matter the condition or grade, & usually end up paying the same range for any 1-4 grade of it ($250 or less).

Out of the 346 PSA graded #332, I have about 50 of them now. So almost 20% is in my possession. I have 37 more to get graded to spike the PSA pop. Now owning 20% of the PSA population of #332 does seem to be influencing things lately. Of course, I have zero of the 4 PSA 9's and only 1 PSA 8, but it's an OC Qualifier. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few of the 32 PSA 8's by the end of the year (one is on Robert Edwards now, & one is on Heritage Auctions next month, thanks for the tips guys).

My dad used to have breakfast with him, and Stargell and Richie Zisk & Sanguillen at the pantry (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32655-d364736-Reviews-The_Original_Pantry-Los_Angeles_California.html) next to the Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel (where the Pirates would stay).... My Dad got a ball signed from Clemente 2 weeks before he died in the plane crash. My dad was 14 then.

My Dad says he changed his last name to make it easier for announcers to pronounce.... 3 syllables instead of 4.... "Bar - tah - rome .......instead of Bar - tah - ro - mo....

Seems simple to me, but no one ever pronounces our name right.

there are probably 750-1000 of those cards in the States when all said and done........did you win the card on REA?

mooch
10-18-2015, 02:04 PM
This is a fascinating thread, and surely it is an economic experiment. The buyer "announces" that he will be buying X card at above-market prices. How will the market react? Will price move? How many cards exist (supply)? I think it would be fun to try this myself if I had already cornered the market and were really a seller (as some have hinted); rationally, one oughtn't buy the cheap talk and assume this is a best response to a previously assemble position. Beyond this, this experiment is generating a lot of information that was not previously available to all. What is the true supply of high numbers from 1952? I hope that we all continue to track this, preferably, in the post-war forum. It is a nice extension of the Curt Flood experiment, where the buyer was a real buyer but did not announce his intentions in advance.

My contribution to the experiment: A key supply indicator is the PSA pop reports. So, why not take the OP's 20-25% of the PSA supply, crack them, and resubmit. Then, you will have about 50% of the published supply. All buyers will then see high pop reports but zero/low supply on EBAY and elsewhere. This would look like an anomaly to market observers, and it might generate interest. Perhaps, more velocity in the #332 turnover/marketing out of collections.

dollarscholar
10-18-2015, 11:12 PM
there are probably 750-1000 of those cards in the States when all said and done........did you win the card on REA?

YES

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=38312

Don't like how my auto bid kept getting bumped up after $900 in after hours bidding. I've never seen a PSA 8 go for more then $950 (on eBay last year with a buy it now). Other then that, it's done $400-$600 on other websites from my research....

But yes, I won it for $1,300.

Heritage has one next month. We will see what happens.

dollarscholar
10-18-2015, 11:19 PM
My contribution to the experiment: A key supply indicator is the PSA pop reports. So, why not take the OP's 20-25% of the PSA supply, crack them, and resubmit. Then, you will have about 50% of the published supply. All buyers will then see high pop reports but zero/low supply on EBAY and elsewhere. This would look like an anomaly to market observers, and it might generate interest. Perhaps, more velocity in the #332 turnover/marketing out of collections.

Interesting. Well, I could crack all PSA 1's - 4's & resubmit, but that is costly, & since I am in it as a collector & not to manipulate the market, there is no incentive unless I just like chaos & anarchy.

I won't risk cracking 5's & up & getting them a lesser grade.

I've asked a few #332 owners to sell me theirs (at double the market price) & they have refused because it was part of their set. So some just cannot be bought right now. Even the recent PSA 5 that had a $450 buy it now with best offer that went for $360, could not be re-bought for $500 when I asked the seller to tell the buyer to contact me if he wanted to make a nice quick profit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-332-Tony-Bartirome-Pittsburgh-Pirates-PSA-5-EX-/111785024544 I won't pay $500 for a PSA 5, but the seller kept saying he passed my message on to the buyer at $400 so I just tried to smoke him out with a $500 offer, but still no response. $400 is the max I will pay for a PSA 5. I'm young - I can wait out some of these owners until they set break or fall on hard times.

I was going to wait until I had 100 ungraded #332's and then submit all for grading so I can get the $8 per card grading fee.

I will take a new group shot of all the #332's and update here once the PSA 8 from REA arrives.

I find it strange that I have never seen any of the 11 BGS graded #332's offered online anywhere:

There were 11 last week, now 12. Even the 2s, 4s, and 4.5 has never been seen. They aren't high grades so maybe not in sets? I still have zero BGS #332's.

1952boyntoncollector
10-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Interesting. Well, I could crack all PSA 1's - 4's & resubmit, but that is costly, & since I am in it as a collector & not to manipulate the market, there is no incentive unless I just like chaos & anarchy.

I won't risk cracking 5's & up & getting them a lesser grade.

I've asked a few #332 owners to sell me theirs (at double the market price) & they have refused because it was part of their set. So some just cannot be bought right now. Even the recent PSA 5 that had a $450 buy it now with best offer that went for $360, could not be re-bought for $500 when I asked the seller to tell the buyer to contact me if he wanted to make a nice quick profit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-332-Tony-Bartirome-Pittsburgh-Pirates-PSA-5-EX-/111785024544 I won't pay $500 for a PSA 5, but the seller kept saying he passed my message on to the buyer at $400 so I just tried to smoke him out with a $500 offer, but still no response. $400 is the max I will pay for a PSA 5. I'm young - I can wait out some of these owners until they set break or fall on hard times.

I was going to wait until I had 100 ungraded #332's and then submit all for grading so I can get the $8 per card grading fee.

I will take a new group shot of all the #332's and update here once the PSA 8 from REA arrives.

I find it strange that I have never seen any of the 11 BGS graded #332's offered online anywhere:

There were 11 last week, now 12. Even the 2s, 4s, and 4.5 has never been seen. They aren't high grades so maybe not in sets? I still have zero BGS #332's.

right many of the set collectors aren't going to break up their sets.. you will need their kids to sell it after the death of the collector...most of the 52 collectors are over 50 years old....about the time when you see all the sets get broken up is when prices should fall...supply and demand..

1952boyntoncollector
10-19-2015, 07:07 AM
YES

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=38312

Don't like how my auto bid kept getting bumped up after $900 in after hours bidding. I've never seen a PSA 8 go for more then $950 (on eBay last year with a buy it now). Other then that, it's done $400-$600 on other websites from my research....

But yes, I won it for $1,300.

Heritage has one next month. We will see what happens.

the one on REA was pretty offcentered...the heritage one may go for more....I bought the #12 Basgil which I think is one of the rarest 1952s to get in a black back and paid less than 1300 funny

mooch
10-19-2015, 06:47 PM
The OP is getting some terrific market info, and I appreciate his willingness to share. We are seeing some more complex aspects of value rather than simply the price of the marginal trade. Consider that the OP has found that some owners are unwilling to accept even 1.5x or more...even when they just bought it. People certainly value their own cards, and all owners do not view those on the market as substitutes. The OP is going farther up the supply curve

Also, I always wondered how many cards on the beckett or psa pop guides were resubmitted, and so the numbers in the pop report are above the true number of graded cards. The OP is gaining some insight on the true population. Even for commons, I hypothesized that a good number of 5s and higher are resubmitted.

BTW: I am fascinated because I established a small position on a 1957 common several years ago. I noticed that the psa 5+ market price rose 10-20% on ebay, which I attributed to my position. The 1957 commons are far more in number, I bet, than 1952 highs, so I am not surprised that the OP's position is driving price up rapidly.

1952boyntoncollector
10-19-2015, 08:14 PM
The OP is getting some terrific market info, and I appreciate his willingness to share. We are seeing some more complex aspects of value rather than simply the price of the marginal trade. Consider that the OP has found that some owners are unwilling to accept even 1.5x or more...even when they just bought it. People certainly value their own cards, and all owners do not view those on the market as substitutes. The OP is going farther up the supply curve

Also, I always wondered how many cards on the beckett or psa pop guides were resubmitted, and so the numbers in the pop report are above the true number of graded cards. The OP is gaining some insight on the true population. Even for commons, I hypothesized that a good number of 5s and higher are resubmitted.

BTW: I am fascinated because I established a small position on a 1957 common several years ago. I noticed that the psa 5+ market price rose 10-20% on ebay, which I attributed to my position. The 1957 commons are far more in number, I bet, than 1952 highs, so I am not surprised that the OP's position is driving price up rapidly.

The PSA 8s don't get resubmitted often though for 1952s....so that POP is probably pretty accurate the prices will hold until he doesn't buy one from a person for an amount he stated....then all the prices will collapse....he did say he was young .things change really fast on card collecting ...people tend to 'refocus' their collection often...

cozmokramer
10-20-2015, 07:22 AM
How about an updated picture like the first one showing ALL your 332 cards?

dollarscholar
10-20-2015, 02:19 PM
the one on REA was pretty offcentered...the heritage one may go for more....I bought the #12 Basgil which I think is one of the rarest 1952s to get in a black back and paid less than 1300 funny

I have never been aware of black back or any specific back. Does #332 have different color backs? All of mine are the same....

I have also never noticed centering....it isn't even 1% concern of mine. Now that you mention it, the REA centering is a bit off, but again, it doesn't matter to me what the centering shows. It is strange to me for a collector to be concerned where an imaginary border created by a ink line lands on a cards edge.

dollarscholar
10-20-2015, 02:27 PM
The OP is getting some terrific market info, and I appreciate his willingness to share.

Publishing this thread has allowed me to obtain 2 PSA 6's this month from private messages on this forum. One of them originally said NO, not selling.

"I do have a Bartirome, PSA 6 centered, but I'm not looking to sell just at the moment. I'll definitely keep you in mind though if I do elect to do so in the near future. "

Then I said LOOK, PWCC is auctioning off a PSA 6 right now. When it ends with me as the winner, I will contact you again & offer you whatever PWCC final auction price went for + $50 extra. We all know PWCC commands a premium so +$50 was an even higher premium.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/colesq10/pwcc%20psa%206_zpsafan3rja.jpg

Then he said:

I can tell you really want that card, and hey, us collectors gotta help each other out. So I'll do that deal.

So I figured I had to broadcast what I am seeking to hunt some of these down.

dollarscholar
10-20-2015, 02:29 PM
How about an updated picture like the first one showing ALL your 332 cards?

I will round them up out of their safes & locations & take a picture of all of them as soon as the new PSA 8 arrives in a few weeks.

egri
10-20-2015, 08:57 PM
there are probably 750-1000 of those cards in the States when all said and done

Just curious, how did you arrive at a population of 750-1000? I'm not doubting you, I was just wondering.

jason.1969
10-20-2015, 09:26 PM
It is strange to me for a collector to be concerned where an imaginary border created by a ink line lands on a cards edge.

Wow, if Net54 is the haystack, I just found the needle.

1952boyntoncollector
10-20-2015, 09:36 PM
Just curious, how did you arrive at a population of 750-1000? I'm not doubting you, I was just wondering.

well there are probably just as many raw bad condition cards then there are graded cards...there are around 375 graded cards that puts it at 750....people dont submit psa 1 common high numbers....plus there got to be some more beter conditon cards out there..its a guess..but there are a ton of raw cards out there..i got 2 or 3 good condition baritromes i bought raw that were psa 7-8s the last 2 years and im just a little guy i not scouring the US looking for cards.....

dollarscholar
10-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Wow, if Net54 is the haystack, I just found the needle.

I am glad I amused you :)

dollarscholar
10-21-2015, 02:28 PM
.i got 2 or 3 good condition baritromes i bought raw that were psa 7-8s the last 2 years and im just a little guy i not scouring the us looking for cards.....

helllloooooo! Sell them to me!!!! :)

jason.1969
10-21-2015, 02:32 PM
I am glad I amused you :)

And just to prevent any confusion, I meant ZERO disrespect in the comment. It's actually a refreshing and welcome thing to encounter a collector here who takes a fairly disinterested position on centering. (And no disrespect to the centering guys either--each to his own.)

autograf
10-21-2015, 02:42 PM
I like the 1000+ range...............maybe 1250 or more.

349 graded by PSA
36 graded by SGC
12 graded by BGS
397 Total

In his picture he has 15 graded and 28 ungraded. So assume of the 397, there are some regrades on the high end. 10-15% maybe? that'd get you down to 350-360 or so. If the graded to ungraded number holds out at 2-1, you'd be easily at 1000+. I tend to think that theres a lot ungraded of this stuff out there. Especially Topps cards.

There are 1287 Graded PSA Mantles and 389 SGC graded, total 1676. So they're likely re-graded at a higher level than the norm for 1952T right? But then there's ungraded ones out there. Likely a LOT less than 2-1 on them and it's a DP card. So the 1000 number has to be pretty good if not low on the Bartirome. JMO................

judsonhamlin
10-21-2015, 03:22 PM
I know this is the BST but this thread has a life of its own so if I may:

-I am not a 1952 Topps guy. I have a low number near-set in mid grade but have not bought a card in years. I have one (1) of each card that I have (and no Bartirome), so I don't really have a dog in this race.

-I find this kind of hoarding odd and more than a little annoying. Okay, I get the whole one for each of the kids, cousins, great-grand nephews, what have you. But unless the family in question looks like the one from the opening scene of Monty Python's Meaning of Life, I think they are covered and then some.

-so now we have an apparently well-heeled individual actively trying to corner the market on this card. To what end? Presuming he is a Bartirome relative does not obviate another profit-based motive. Again no crime in that, and maybe I am being cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now these reappeared in the market at inflated prices.

-I place this in the same category as Titus, 1964 Curt Flood, and other hoards known and unknown. Not my thing and an annoyance, I am sure, to set collectors everywhere.

-If I happen across a Bartirome at some store or show maybe I will buy it now. But I won't tell. Its my contrary nature.

jason.1969
10-21-2015, 04:02 PM
Perhaps I'd feel differently if I were hoping to complete a 1952 or 1964 set, but I think it's awesome that there are guys who are hoping to buy everything out there. From my reads, neither our Bartirome collector nor the Flood collector are specifically trying to rig the market--both have sentimental reasons for their quixotic quests.

I love seeing collectors who are passionate about the players and the cards, particularly when so much of the "Hobby" is about money these days. True, it takes an awful lot of disposable cash to support this Bartiromania, but there is a love I see here that I just don't when I read all about PSA 8s that get mailed in over and over until they become 9s.

judsonhamlin
10-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Fair point. But I do see a line between collecting and obsessing/hoarding. And, even taking the OP at face value, I'm not sure where this falls. I am not a flipper, investor or serial submitter and that part of this hobby/business holds no allure for me either.
And, why not the cheaper 1953 Bartirome instead/as well?

1952boyntoncollector
10-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Fair point. But I do see a line between collecting and obsessing/hoarding. And, even taking the OP at face value, I'm not sure where this falls. I am not a flipper, investor or serial submitter and that part of this hobby/business holds no allure for me either.

relax..the guy said he is young and just started....as we know things happen in a year or two.....all it takes is him not buying back a card at inflated prices and everything collapses....now if this goes on for 5 years or so...save this message and we can revisit..but cant really talk about cornering the market after a year etc...gonna need a LOT of set breaks to occur over time......life happens , things in peoples lives change..which impacts collecting...we shall see.... but fun to talk about now for sure..

nsaddict
10-21-2015, 06:37 PM
I do find this interesting and wishing you luck. But why not pursue the 53's that can be had for a fraction of the 52's?

egri
10-21-2015, 07:00 PM

I do find this interesting and wishing you luck. But why not pursue the 53's that can be had for a fraction of the 52's?

Because that's the set I'm working on!:D

Maybe it has to do with the place the 1952 Topps set has in collecting history, and it being Bartirome's rookie card. Although I think the 1953 set is the nicer looking of the two (one of the reasons I started building it in the first place), you can't go wrong either way. Full disclosure, I have his card from the 53 set signed and don't plan on selling.

dollarscholar
10-22-2015, 12:10 AM
I know this is the BST but this thread has a life of its own so if I may:

-I am not a 1952 Topps guy. I have a low number near-set in mid grade but have not bought a card in years. I have one (1) of each card that I have (and no Bartirome), so I don't really have a dog in this race.

-I find this kind of hoarding odd and more than a little annoying. Okay, I get the whole one for each of the kids, cousins, great-grand nephews, what have you. But unless the family in question looks like the one from the opening scene of Monty Python's Meaning of Life, I think they are covered and then some.

-so now we have an apparently well-heeled individual actively trying to corner the market on this card. To what end? Presuming he is a Bartirome relative does not obviate another profit-based motive. Again no crime in that, and maybe I am being cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now these reappeared in the market at inflated prices.

-I place this in the same category as Titus, 1964 Curt Flood, and other hoards known and unknown. Not my thing and an annoyance, I am sure, to set collectors everywhere.

-If I happen across a Bartirome at some store or show maybe I will buy it now. But I won't tell. Its my contrary nature.

Let me know if this potential future scenario would annoy you? Perhaps after I do not see a single Bartirome ever listed on eBay or auction houses across the net for an entire year straight, I will be content with my collection. Perhaps I will then set aside 20 of them for the descendants & the rest (100's at that point, I assume 10 years from now to not see one cross the net for a year), I will just flood eBay with all at once. You & others would then be able to buy them up for under $50 each maybe, since there will be hundreds of active auction style listings all going & ending at the same time. Wouldn't that be fun!

Until then, if you come across a #332, let my offer to pay double what you paid for it tempt you until you cave :)

I truly am not in #332 for the money. My $500/$1000 bills and gold/silver collections, YES.

dollarscholar
10-22-2015, 12:14 AM
Perhaps I'd feel differently if I were hoping to complete a 1952 or 1964 set, but I think it's awesome that there are guys who are hoping to buy everything out there. From my reads, neither our Bartirome collector nor the Flood collector are specifically trying to rig the market--both have sentimental reasons for their quixotic quests.

I love seeing collectors who are passionate about the players and the cards, particularly when so much of the "Hobby" is about money these days. True, it takes an awful lot of disposable cash to support this Bartiromania, but there is a love I see here that I just don't when I read all about PSA 8s that get mailed in over and over until they become 9s.

Thanks Jason for your fond thoughts.

So the 32 PSA 8's on the pop report for the #332, would you say there are probably only 10 of them to obtain?

dollarscholar
10-22-2015, 01:21 AM
You guys asked why I am not buying the 1953 Bartirome.

Actually I have bought about 10 of them, usually PSA 6's. I imagine I will buy a few more PSA 5's and 6's here & there, a few times a year going forward.

But I am not equally obsessed about "hoarding" the 1953 Topps Bartirome UNLESS it is PSA 7's & up, as I am about the 1952 Topps Bartirome in ANY condition.

I did win this 1953 PSA 8 last week:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/colesq10/1953%20bartirome_zpsrn2vy7wq.jpg

& previously won a few PSA 8's on eBay in the $150 range.

I see a PSA 7 on eBay now from PWCC, so I will be bidding at the end.

I would love to find the 4 PSA 9's of the 1953 Bartirome.

I equally want to hoard the 2011 Topps Gold Canary Bartirome. 10 exist, and I have 1 of them.

I do not know why it does not interest me to go down the entire list of 1953 Bartirome listings & buy them all up. I did flirt with the idea of doing so a few times, but when I looked at the offerings, there were too many. Is discouraged the right word? There are a 100 listings right now, & I assume that a week after I clear the listings, another 100 would pop up. I assume there are 10,000's of them? So the fact that they are not rare, & we value & find "special" in what's rare is 1 factor why hoarding ALL 1953 Bartirome does not interest me. Also, I want a challenge & the challenge has to have me be able to at least see, if not reach the finish line. With the 1953 Bartirome, I perceive an endless supply & therefore the challenge seems impossible & pointless. Then there is the emergency doomsday factor, that if I did in fact need to liquidate (because as was mentioned, life happens, maybe a financial catastrophe happens or unemployment, or a combination of having to get a wedding ring, having children, & wife expenses happen - then I don't believe I could liquidate 1953 Topps Bartirome's except the PSA 7's and 8's. Gold, silver, $500/$1000 bills are easy to pawn/liquidate immediately. That goes for the 1952 Topps Bartirome too. Easy to liquidate for a fair share of my money back if it was an absolute necessity to do so. I don't want to pour thousands into 1953 Bartirome when I can never recover much of it back!

Finally, & most importantly, is the lack of story attached to the 1953 Topps set. The powerful story of the 1952 Topps set is what hooked me on collecting my family member's card! As a kid I would always see a single, ungraded, not even in a top loader, 1953 Topps Bartirome in my Dad's desk drawer. Never did I even know Tony had a 1952 Topps card. Never did my Dad even know! I played little league in the 1990's and idolized Griffey & mimicked his swing. My Dad was never a card collector, & was unaware of the 1952 Topps set. I was only aware of 1989 Upper Deck and the 1990 Topps No Name Frank Thomas & all cards after that.

So I saw that 1953 Topps Bartirome just sitting around in Dad's desk drawer for years & years, maybe even taking it to school in 3rd 4th 5th grade bragging how my family member was a pro baseball player!

We have always known the 1953 Topps Bartirome to be worth just a couple of dollars. We had searched it before on eBay, but never saw a 1952 Topps mixed into that search.

It wasn't until 2014 that I read the story of 1952 Topps HIGH NUMBERS. How it was a huge failure & they dumped cases upon cases into the ocean! Read about Alan Rosen & the 1952 Topps find in the guys attic. All the rich legendary stories about this card set! Found out Tony Bartirome was in this set! I knew this set to be the famous Mickey Mantle card set, & was blown away that #332 was none other then my family member! Tony a part of the same set as Mickey Mantle's famous card!!! I printed out the numerous stories about the infamous ocean dump & how the high numbers came to be so rare, & gave my Dad some reading material along with a PSA 2 #332 Bartirome. I told him, "Can you believe that Tony is a part of the most popular trading card set in history!?!?" & that it has this amazing story about dumping the last fourth of the cards in the set INTO THE OCEAN!?!?!? AND THAT TONY'S CARD HAPPENS TO BE IN THIS INFAMOUS FATED HIGH NUMBER GROUP!? LOOK AT THESE PRICES THAT TONY'S 1952 TOPPS GOES FOR!!!!!"

I showed him a printed out recent sales from eBay showing $100-$300 for Bartirome PSA 1's to 5's. He was so amused, & just shaking his head like WOW. We know Tony was not much of a ball player, but we are proud nevertheless that he made it & that he is part of this historic, most popular card set & legendary story about dumping high numbers into the ocean. He took that PSA 2 to his work where he proudly shows it off thanks to me.

I got a late start on collecting it, & have only been at it since fall of 2014, but I've made up for lost time well, nearing 100 #332's now. It sucks doing a google search for Bartirome #332 & seeing that these different auction houses sold #332 for much lower amounts then I am used to paying, but some of these sales I see go back to 2005. Wow, it would have been nice to have grabbed this PSA 8 for $682 (http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bidplace.aspx?id=3dcf53d8-644a-4e0f-8267-92e47eebda10) or this PSA 8 in 2010 for $528 (http://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=13526). I would have bid $1,000+ on these!!! I even missed this PSA 6 just last year for $170 (http://www.jvscauctions.com/1952-topps-332-tony-bartirome-psa-6-lot7684.aspx), are you kidding me!?!? $170!?!?!? I would have bid $400!!!! (just months before I became aware of the existence of the card, but still didn't think to look anywhere, but eBay until this month!!!!). Even once I was buying them up on eBay this year, I was unaware that sellers would be willing to sell them off eBay, so I even missed this PSA 3 for $120 (http://goodwinandco.com/1952_topps_tony_bartirome__332_psa_3_vg-lot30158.aspx)!!!! I would have bid $300 for it!!! I see such higher prices on eBay, & so much more competition in the bidding, then these off ebay auction houses that are showing only 1 bid for some of these Bartirome's!!!!!! I don't know what would possess these websites to not sell what they get - on eBay! What's 6% ebay fees if you have an eBay store for $15 a month!? Well, now I know & last few weeks I have been signing up with every off ebay auction house there is. Disappointed only Heritage Auctions has an alert feature for BARTIROME search, & disappointed I just paid $1,500+ for my first true PSA 8 from REA (https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=38312) (with buyer's premium added) when I see HA had the most recent PSA 8 sold for $597 just in 2013 (http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/singles-1950-1959-/1952-topps-tony-bartirome-332-psa-nm-mt-8/a/7075-80431.s?type=moto-offer-buyer)! I have been sending the owner offers through HA's offer tool, but the offers have gone unanswered. I did see a PSA 8 hit eBay very briefly last year when I just begun buying them, & did not yet comprehend that a PSA 8 is hard to find so when I saw the seller's $1,000 buy it now with offer option, I thought offering $700 was good enough, but someone offered $950 & the seller took it fast.

So can someone explain why even just in a 2 year period a PSA 8 would have stayed around $600 in 2005, 2010 & 2013 with these off eBay auction houses & then gone all the way up to $1,300 this month with my purchase?

Now you know the 4 reasons why I gravitate to the 1952 Topps Bartirome over the 1953 Topps Bartirome.

Thanks everyone for making this a great conversation.

I think I will post again with an updated picture of the collection. I will push hard to get 100 of them in the picture. A few $300 offers to buy a few PSA 4-5 ungraded condition #332's have presented itself, & waiting on REA's PSA 8 to arrive.

autograf
10-22-2015, 06:19 AM
Neat story......I would argue that you cost yourself some on the REA PSA8 at $1500 as there may have been someone here reading this story that pushed it up. Who knows. Regardless, your quest continues. At 100, you probably have 5-10% of the known population if it's 1000-2000. You talk about liquidity and I'd argue that if you needed to liquidate the 1952's, it would be at a fraction of what you could liquidate the 1953's at in terms of a percentage. Of course, they just don't hold the interest for you. So how far into this are you? $50,000? That would buy a lot of much more liquid Gold or Silver Bullion or $500/$1000 bills in a much more liquid, much more widely-held market. Some people are silver stackers, you are a Bartirome stacker.............

the 'stache
10-23-2015, 08:37 AM
This thread is surreal, but also fascinating. I feel bubbles in my head, like I've had too much champagne.

I'm curious as to why you want the 10 2011 Topps Lineage Gold Canary cards of his? Should you acquire all of them, how do you determine which family members get these?

Why if you're also hoarding the '53 cards do you only want PSA 7 +? That seems, to me anyway, to reinforce the notion that you are hoarding these cards for future profit. The '52 Topps cards are from the first full set Topps ever did, and are from the high series. They are innately valuable, condition not withstanding. But the '53s don't have the same demand. However, collectors pursing the 1953 Topps registry will want high grade examples of the card. Can you comment on that?

Leon
10-23-2015, 08:44 AM
I took moderator privileges and moved this to the front page from the BST. It's an interesting discussion...

Rich Klein
10-23-2015, 08:58 AM
I"ve written, commented on kind of sort of similar circumstances:

Here are some other exampels

The man who chases 1964 Curt Flood cards

The man (and he has a cool blog and I've sent him cards and will do so again) who chases every Tim Wallach card ever produced (No he will not get them)

The story Roger Neufeldt told me about George Kernek who at point had more than 100 of his 1966 SP Hi # Rookie Card (and his only Topps card I believe(

Now this ---

WHen I was a dealer/collector in NJ in the 1980's -- ( bought a ton of Joe Cunningham carfds in case I ever wanted to open a store in my home town.

Love to hear mose stories such as this and would love to talk to the OP -- and Tony became the Pirates trainer for many years.

Rich

1952boyntoncollector
10-23-2015, 09:05 AM
I"ve written, commented on kind of sort of similar circumstances:

Here are some other exampels

The man who chases 1964 Curt Flood cards

The man (and he has a cool blog and I've sent him cards and will do so again) who chases every Tim Wallach card ever produced (No he will not get them)

The story Roger Neufeldt told me about George Kernek who at point had more than 100 of his 1966 SP Hi # Rookie Card (and his only Topps card I believe(

Now this ---

WHen I was a dealer/collector in NJ in the 1980's -- ( bought a ton of Joe Cunningham carfds in case I ever wanted to open a store in my home town.

Love to hear mose stories such as this and would love to talk to the OP -- and Tony became the Pirates trainer for many years.

Rich

Who is this 1964 Curt Flood chasing guy...we talking Topps? Theres 5 or 6 of them on ebay right now and several on no reserve auction including a psa 8....

I assuming he no longer chasing them....the cycle repeats..

jason.1969
10-23-2015, 09:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11411892/mysterious-curt-flood-card-collector-chases-1964-baseball-card

1952boyntoncollector
10-23-2015, 09:20 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11411892/mysterious-curt-flood-card-collector-chases-1964-baseball-card

yeah I know that..but wondering if he is still active ..as there are many on ebay..psa 8s in the 260 range with make an offer as well....

z28jd
10-23-2015, 09:33 AM
The Tim Wallach site is really interesting and he is up over 15,000 cards already. I think he could continue collecting them all for years and not affect the market.

It also made me wonder how many Wallach cards Tim Carroll has cut up for his art. I'm sure 99% of people are all for thinning out the 1980-90's card population, while making art out of them, but the Wallach collector would likely shed a tear or two thinking about cut up cards

http://timwallach.blogspot.com/

As for the original poster, I know from personal experience that it's best not to talk about a player collection for a tough card, it only drives up the price. I think he would be better off just waiting them out instead of offering big money at this point. It's definitely costing him more than it should. If he's not in a rush, enjoy the hunt.

1952boyntoncollector
10-23-2015, 10:03 AM
The Tim Wallach site is really interesting and he is up over 15,000 cards already. I think he could continue collecting them all for years and not affect the market.

It also made me wonder how many Wallach cards Tim Carroll has cut up for his art. I'm sure 99% of people are all for thinning out the 1980-90's card population, while making art out of them, but the Wallach collector would likely shed a tear or two thinking about cut up cards

As for the original poster, I know from personal experience that it's best not to talk about a player collection for a tough card, it only drives up the price. I think he would be better off just waiting them out instead of offering big money at this point. It's definitely costing him more than it should. If he's not in a rush, enjoy the hunt.

All he has to do is refuse to buy from someone that paid a premium for that card which would then cost that person money.....if someone pays 1500 for the next psa 8 and he turns them down..then that's easily a 600-900 loss...

savedfrommyspokes
10-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Who is this 1964 Curt Flood chasing guy...we talking Topps? Theres 5 or 6 of them on ebay right now and several on no reserve auction including a psa 8....

I assuming he no longer chasing them....the cycle repeats..

As mentioned in the article, he is still chasing them....in my dealings with him, he has been a shrewd negotiator and cites both the "Flooded" market for this card (90+ ebay listings) and the fact that he is responsible for creating it. Within the past year I refused to accept his (low) offer price and subsequently sold to another buyer at a higher price. In other words, at this point he appears to be in the market for only the more reasonably priced copies of this card and is now a victim of his own creation. Copies of this card, that based on their condition (low to midgrade) used to sell for $20+ in past years, sit today as unsold BINs for half the price.

The collector chasing the 61 Topps 242 Hal Smith card is still very active in regards to collecting every reasonable priced copy of this card. I would not be surprised if he has more copies of this card than the Flood collector has of his card.

If I were a collector of just a single copy of a card, I would patiently wait and buy as the cards appear versus publicizing my quest thus driving the price up.

1952boyntoncollector
10-23-2015, 10:35 AM
As mentioned in the article, he is still chasing them....in my dealings with him, he has been a shrewd negotiator and cites both the "Flooded" market for this card (90+ ebay listings) and the fact that he is responsible for creating it. Within the past year I refused to accept his (low) offer price and subsequently sold to another buyer at a higher price. In other words, at this point he appears to be in the market for only the more reasonably priced copies of this card and is now a victim of his own creation. Copies of this card, that based on their condition (low to midgrade) used to sell for $20+ in past years, sit today as unsold BINs for half the price.

The collector chasing the 61 Topps 242 Hal Smith card is still very active in regards to collecting every reasonable priced copy of this card. I would not be surprised if he has more copies of this card than the Flood collector has of his card.

If I were a collector of just a single copy of a card, I would patiently wait and buy as the cards appear versus publicizing my quest thus driving the price up.

right a guy chasing a card without paying a premium is a non-issue to deal with.. that was my point...

TimCarrollArt
10-23-2015, 10:58 AM

I probably cut a few when I first started, but I have been placing the Wallachs aside for the Wallach guy for the last 4-5 years. I'm probably up to about 200-250 cards in the stack, and I'll send them out once feel like I have run across all I have. I like reading about off-beaten projects like this, regardless of how impossible they are.

I'm actually surprised there are not more collectors like the OP going after as many copies of a single card of a family member, etc. With so many players making the majors and only having 1-2 cards, I would think family hoarders would be more prevalent. I know there were a couple of guys in the early 2000's going after every 2002 Prince Fielder UD Prospect Premieres Autographs, and there was one collector trying to land every copy of a specific Mark Teixeira serial numbered rookie. I believe that guy had over 100 of the 750 copies printed, and that was over a decade ago. I wonder if he kept going, and if so...what % of the population does he now own?

Tim

PolarBear
10-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Interesting thread, for sure.

jason.1969
10-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Life would really get crazy if multiple collectors with deep pockets chose the same card! Maybe nephews of both HOFers go after the 1982 Fleer "Steve and Carlton, Carlton and Fisk" or John Hilton and Ron Cey both tried to gobble up their 1973 Topps issue.

Rich Klein
10-23-2015, 11:20 AM
I probably cut a few when I first started, but I have been placing the Wallachs aside for the Wallach guy for the last 4-5 years. I'm probably up to about 200-250 cards in the stack, and I'll send them out once feel like I have run across all I have. I like reading about off-beaten projects like this, regardless of how impossible they are.

I'm actually surprised there are not more collectors like the OP going after as many copies of a single card of a family member, etc. With so many players making the majors and only having 1-2 cards, I would think family hoarders would be more prevalent. I know there were a couple of guys in the early 2000's going after every 2002 Prince Fielder UD Prospect Premieres Autographs, and there was one collector trying to land every copy of a specific Mark Teixeira serial numbered rookie. I believe that guy had over 100 of the 750 copies printed, and that was over a decade ago. I wonder if he kept going, and if so...what % of the population does he now own?

Tim

TIm:

On Mark Teixeira: I believe there are 2 super collectors (one of which I know in the DFW area and I see him about 3-4 times a year) and their dedication is fascinating.

Way back in the day -- there was a collector who chased after a strang specific serial # for each card (and this wsa the days of 10K runs); today it would be far different

ctownboy
10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
I do not know if he is still active or not but there used to be a guy in Madison, Indiana who bought every 1933 Goudey card of Tommy Thevenow. Thevenow was a relative and the guy was, like some others who are hoarding cards, buying them to give to other relatives.

David

Eric72
10-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Publishing this thread has allowed me to obtain 2 PSA 6's this month from private messages on this forum.

This has a somewhat familiar ring to it. Did you happen to know Bruce Dorskind?

Good luck with your quest, and Happy Collecting.

Best regards,

Eric

Leon
10-23-2015, 05:07 PM
After a little investigating it seems our OP has registered on our forum with a bogus last name and is now suspended per the rules. If anyone is interested they might google a bit on Cole Bart.iromo .without the period.....Thanks to a member for the PM and helping to keep our community safe....Had this guy wanted to do the right things now he wouldn't have registered with a bogus last name.

or you can cut to the chase with this link to some of the older stuff, there is some newer stuff too.....and Jake, it is the person who started this thread..

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/cole-bartiromo

1952boyntoncollector
10-23-2015, 05:14 PM
After a little investigating it seems our OP has registered on our forum with a bogus last name and is now suspended per the rules. If anyone is interested they might google a bit on Cole Bart.iromo .without the period.....Thanks to a member for the PM and helping to keep our community safe....Had this guy wanted to do the right things now he wouldn't have registered with a bogus last name.

man all this talk ...I wonder if he was truthful on other things

judsonhamlin
10-23-2015, 05:23 PM
And here I was thinking I was being cynical about all of this.

Leon
10-23-2015, 05:28 PM

and a whole blog....with newer stuff..

http://scammedfromcolebartiromo.blogspot.com/

1952boyntoncollector
10-23-2015, 05:30 PM

right I kept posting things challenging him on things...didn't believe it.

Peter_Spaeth
10-23-2015, 05:30 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-279710--.html

Interesting history, but perhaps he has rehabilitated.

Leon
10-23-2015, 05:35 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-279710--.html

Interesting history, but perhaps he has rehabilitated.

I looked at that and then looked at his registration which is false...AND maybe I could undestand that but what about the blog I posted a link to, that seems to be a lot of newer things? Now if all of this was over and all debts were paid then so be it. But I don't have time to spend the next 3 days reading about this person or chasing down real names.

wolf441
10-23-2015, 05:41 PM
I looked at that and then looked at his registration which is false...AND maybe I could undestand that but what about the blog I posted a link to, that seems to be a lot of newer things? Now if all of this was over and all debts were paid then so be it. But I don't have time to spend the next 3 days reading about this person or chasing down real names.

+1 Leon, a waste of your time. Plus, unless we've re-defined pre-war as before Vietnam, he's in the wrong place... :D:D:D

Leon
10-23-2015, 05:43 PM
+1 Leon, a waste of your time. Plus, unless we've re-defined pre-war as before Vietnam, he's in the wrong place... :D:D:D

It was an interesting thread and I try to help keep the place interesting.....but I didn't expect that turn of events.

Peter_Spaeth
10-23-2015, 05:44 PM
He was better off buried on the BST. :eek:

PolarBear
10-23-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm confused now. Was he ripping people off buying these cards or was all this card buying legit and he was banned only because of the name issue?

frankbmd
10-23-2015, 06:08 PM

or you can cut to the chase with this link to some of the older stuff, there is some newer stuff too.....and Jake, it is the person who started this thread..

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/cole-bartiromo

I bet his ears don't match either.;)

Leon
10-23-2015, 06:19 PM
I'm confused now. Was he ripping people off buying these cards or was all this card buying legit and he was banned only because of the name issue?

The name issue is actually technical. But the blog about him is very recent. Do we really want scammers on the board? I am not sure I have ever seen more crap on one person. I am all about 2nd chances but if anyone clicks on those 2 links I posted, and reads them....and thinks him registering with a fake name is good.....please help me understand that line of reasoning? Like I said abve, had he registered with a good name, maybe. Plus the half dozen or so extremely threatening emails I just got from him kind of solidify it :).

Danny Smith
10-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Nothing surprises me on this board anymore. Amazing.

Rich Klein
10-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Leon:

And I thought running a show was difficult :)

See you tomorrow --

And man, you've had a fun week

bcornell
10-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Nothing surprises me on this board anymore. Amazing.

That was my same thought. The guy was celebrating being a hoarder, like that knucklehead who tries to hoard T212 Millers (link: this jerk (http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1149274336/Player+collectors-+are+you+out+there-)). If you announce on a hobby forum that your singular goal is to thwart other collectors, find another forum.

Everything this guy wrote screamed "scammer". Then, not surprisingly, he turned out to be a scammer.

Bill

PolarBear
10-23-2015, 07:07 PM
The name issue is actually technical. But the blog about him is very recent. Do we really want scammers on the board? I am not sure I have ever seen more crap on one person. I am all about 2nd chances but if anyone clicks on those 2 links I posted, and reads them....and thinks him registering with a fake name is good.....please help me understand that line of reasoning? Like I said abve, had he registered with a good name, maybe. Plus the half dozen or so extremely threatening emails I just got from him kind of solidify it :).

I wasn't criticizing the decision to ban him. I was just confused as to why. I thought maybe he was ripping people off somehow with the card hoarding scheme.

Eric72
10-23-2015, 07:15 PM
That was my same thought. The guy was celebrating being a hoarder, like that knucklehead who tries to hoard T212 Millers (link? sorry, the search isn't good). If you announce on a hobby forum that your singular goal is to thwart other collectors, find another forum.

Everything this guy wrote screamed "scammer". Then, not surprisingly, he turned out to be a scammer.

Bill

If you are referring to the, "Dots Miller" collector here on Net54, I seriously doubt the good doctor is doing anything nefarious.

If I am mistaken, please forgive an aging man who is getting closer to retirement...and his failing memory.

Best regards,

Eric

DHogan
10-23-2015, 07:22 PM
What a strange trip it's been.

jason.1969
10-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Here is a quote from a relatively recent article--

《The topic of Donald Sterling lights Bartiromo up. “How do we know Sterling wasn’t attacked and raped by black men years ago?” he asks, triumphantly raising his eyebrows and offering his pointer finger.》

The bulk of the article details his obsession with outing underaged perpetrators and victims of sex crimes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/26/he-bullies-kids-and-calls-it-news.html

jason.1969
10-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Not that anyone cares at this point but he falsely cites CNBC's Maria Bartiromo as a relative. And here he asserts Tony Bartirome, even though the names aren't the same.

He claimed Tony changed his name to give announcers an easier job. Not only is that a pretty bizarre tale but it doesn't seem to check out anywhere but in the OP.

This feels like a scam in action and perhaps should be reported as such. I wonder if the N54 guys he bought from will ever see their money.

Bruinsfan94
10-23-2015, 07:41 PM
What a bizarre and interesting thread. Good job investigating. Whatever he was up to couldn't have been good.

bcornell
10-23-2015, 07:45 PM
If you are referring to the, "Dots Miller" collector here on Net54, I seriously doubt the good doctor is doing anything nefarious.

If I am mistaken, please forgive an aging man who is getting closer to retirement...and his failing memory.

No, I can vouch for that doctor, too. He just likes giant mitts :). I mean the guy who wants to buy every T212 (Obak) Miller (link (http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1149274336/Player+collectors-+are+you+out+there-)). For all I know, he's still making set collectors pay for that card because he runs them up. He's a jerk and I'm positive that is a fact, not just my opinion.

Bill

JollyElm
10-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Man, I was all involved in reading through (and enjoying) this thread and suddenly BAM!!!!!!!!!! a huge plot twist out of nowhere like a Hollywood movie. Yowza. So, Bruce Willis was dead the entire time??

ALR-bishop
10-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Good thing he wasn't into Reiser gray backs...or maybe he was and that's why it never shows up

slidekellyslide
10-23-2015, 09:52 PM
What a strange, strange thread. I'm sure an armchair psychiatrist could have a field day here reading not just this thread, but the articles linked and Cole's own Newsball blog.

Republicaninmass
10-23-2015, 10:46 PM
right I kept posting things challenging him on things...didn't believe it.

... has become the voice of reason!

deucetwins
10-24-2015, 04:55 AM
Ok, Leon, thanks for protecting everyone here. Huge job you have and everyone is grateful that you have our best interests in mind.

Now, here's the part I need some help with. Undoubtedly there is a scam hidden in his hoarding. I just can't seem to figure out what it is. Can someone give up some possible scenarios?

(OP failing to post an updated pic after stating multiple times that he would was starting to send up red flags)

Thanks. Jeff

autograf
10-24-2015, 06:49 AM
The dude is looking for a roommate to share an $1800 apartment yet buying $1500 PSA 1952 commons......really odd stuff. Thanks for the sleuthing. I just engaged him in some discussion and didn't think he was a nut but the plot thickened.......

7nohitter
10-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Ok, Leon, thanks for protecting everyone here. Huge job you have and everyone is grateful that you have our best interests in mind.

Now, here's the part I need some help with. Undoubtedly there is a scam hidden in his hoarding. I just can't seem to figure out what it is. Can someone give up some possible scenarios?

(OP failing to post an updated pic after stating multiple times that he would was starting to send up red flags)

Thanks. Jeff

I'm wondering the same. Idiot comes here, declares he's hoarding a card....to what end? In all these scenarios HE is the one sending out money.....

Leon
10-24-2015, 07:08 AM
I'm wondering the same. Idiot comes here, declares he's hoarding a card....to what end? In all these scenarios HE is the one sending out money.....

Anyone that is sane can't get inside this guy's head. He sent one hail mary threatening email and then in the same email asked me to do him a favor and post a 5 paragraph post that he was doing when he got axed. The guy is definitely, and I mean definitely, unbalanced. I see him being back in prison in no time if he continues the way he is. Very, very unstable. (and I am not just saying this for effect)

7nohitter
10-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Anyone that is sane can't get inside this guy's head. He sent one hail mary threatening email and then in the same email asked me to do him a favor and post a 5 paragraph post that he was doing when he got axed. The guy is definitely, and I mean definitely, unbalanced. I see him being back in prison in no time if he continues the way he is. Very, very unstable. (and I am not just saying this for effect)

Thanks Leon. There's no arguing with crazy!
How, or is, the hurricane affecting TX?

1952boyntoncollector
10-24-2015, 07:37 AM

either way....like I said previously..the fact he is overpaying now...due to his age and the fact he just starting paying these prices, I really doubted he would continue for long..

even Ponzi schemes..the initial 'investors' make money....its the later people holding the bag......If you plan on buying the heritage baritrome for $1500 good luck to you...

jason.1969
10-24-2015, 07:56 AM
I would be careful dealing with him. I saw one of his many scams was selling on ebay but never sending the merchandise. Here, I suppose nobody will send him a card without PayPal first, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's more interested in the names and addresses of high end collectors.

Jantz
10-24-2015, 10:07 AM
1952 Topps Tony Bartirome cards aren't the only items he is hoarding.

Here are a few others.

1986 Fireball Island board games
Western Digital external hard drives (along with various other brands of hard drives)

Hundreds of them!

Sprinkled in with cell phones, probably for changing the multitude of phone numbers he has had, along with buying 1989 Griffey rookies (notice the thread title).

His last confirmed Ebay username was awesomegreatness.

Now he has a new Ebay account. He "advertised" that point by posting here about buying all the Bartirome cards that he has. The new Ebay account that is buying the Bartirome cards is also bidding on cell phones, golf cards (this ties into the Tiger Woods cards he sold years ago & the Tiger reference in this thread's title) and paper money. If you watched any of the videos posted in the links, he has a sweet tooth for paper money & uncirculated bills.

Ironically he pays people when he buys and has had almost perfect Ebay feedback in the past.

I'm not sure if there is a scam in buying/hoarding the Bartiromes, but his buying habits show a pattern for buying the same item over and over again, whether it be a certain 1952 Topps cards, digital hard drives or a board game manufactured in 1986.

ALR-bishop
10-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Wonder if he would want my Sonar Sub Hunt game

PolarBear
10-24-2015, 10:25 AM
http://www.davescottblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ZJ7jjMD.jpg

sac_bunt
10-24-2015, 11:12 AM
I took moderator privileges and moved this to the front page from the BST. It's an interesting discussion...

Great thread!..so many story lines... thanks Leon for creating more visibility to this thread.

jason.1969
10-24-2015, 01:34 PM
BTW, I just heard directly from a definitive source that Cole is neither related to Tony Bartirome nor is Tony's real name Bartiromo.

egri
10-24-2015, 02:20 PM
He claimed Tony changed his name to give announcers an easier job. Not only is that a pretty bizarre tale but it doesn't seem to check out anywhere but in the OP.

+1. I have a signed Bartirome for my project (signed well after his playing career ended) and it very clearly ends in an e, not an o.

1880nonsports
10-24-2015, 05:56 PM
top ten - don't want it to end.................

ksabet
10-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Two things:

1. I really think this guy and Adrian are buddies

2. I know Leon won't but I would love to read the 5-paragraph post he was about to attach.

RCMcKenzie
10-24-2015, 10:22 PM
What I took away from this thread is that 1952 Topps short prints have a population of around 1000 each. I had no idea they were that scarce. i may need to put together a low-grade 52 Topps set now. What else am I doing?

the 'stache
10-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Two things:

2. I know Leon won't but I would love to read the 5-paragraph post he was about to attach.

1. My thinking exactly.

2. Same here. This thread has been more entertaining than the Sunday Night Football game that just ended.

Bpm0014
10-26-2015, 07:08 AM
I wonder where he got the money to buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of baseball cards??

7nohitter
10-26-2015, 07:30 AM
I wonder where he got the money to buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of baseball cards??

Probably from a previous scam!

Bruinsfan94
10-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Anyone have any ideas what kind of angle this could have been? Doesn't make any sense to me. From all his past behavior and internet craziness I guess it has to be bad, but what kind profit could be made from buying a common at such premiums?

1952boyntoncollector
10-26-2015, 08:10 AM
Anyone have any ideas what kind of angle this could have been? Doesn't make any sense to me. From all his past behavior and internet craziness I guess it has to be bad, but what kind profit could be made from buying a common at such premiums?

like you said its internet craziness......and he just started.....how many people you know started an expensive set only to quit before halfway.....I been saying all along need to wait a year or so of constant buying...one month of buying that we know of..(he can say what he wants in the past before then but we have no proof of that and this guy screams proof)

he never would of even halfway completed the task.... ONE psa 8 common? .a long way to go.....he said he would wait for the set breaks.....wake me up in 10 years..

Bruinsfan94
10-26-2015, 08:17 AM
"like you said its internet craziness......and he just started.....how many people you know started an expensive set only to quit before halfway.....I been saying all along need to wait a year or so of constant buying...one month of buying that we know of..(he can say what he wants in the past before then but we have no proof of that and this guy screams proof)

he never would of even halfway completed the task.... ONE psa 8 common? .a long way to go.....he said he would wait for the set breaks.....wake me up in 10 years."

I completely agree. Just wondering, in his mind, how this was going to end up with profit or good. Everything he said was a lie. It would take years for him to really effect the market since there are tons in collections around the country. Granted, according the articles posted, he did get in big trouble, he must have been fairly smart as a teenager to do something like that. If only he used that knowledge for some good...

Leon
10-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Two things:

Never underestimate the powers of persuasion. Here is his last email to me.

Here ya go....

I'm really busy right now, but your story will be compiled and published on the front page & when it does I will activate the multiple stealth accounts I have on net54 to spam the hell out of your boards to spread the word about the exclusive story of Leon Luckey. Don't think I have forgotten or given up. A month may go by, but when I have a weekend to finalize the finishing touches on the organization of the article, it will go live, & you will never get that removed.

Do me a favor and post this reply to my thread in the meantime, as I was unable to post it when you banned me during the writing of this reply:

This thread is surreal, but also fascinating. I feel bubbles in my head, like I've had too much champagne.

I'm curious as to why you want the 10 2011 Topps Lineage Gold Canary cards of his? Should you acquire all of them, how do you determine which family members get these?

Why if you're also hoarding the '53 cards do you only want PSA 7 +? That seems, to me anyway, to reinforce the notion that you are hoarding these cards for future profit. The '52 Topps cards are from the first full set Topps ever did, and are from the high series. They are innately valuable, condition not withstanding. But the '53s don't have the same demand. However, collectors pursing the 1953 Topps registry will want high grade examples of the card. Can you comment on that?

I just know that I want all 10 of the 2011 Topps Lineage Gold Canary since they are rare & limited & only 10 in existence. The fact Topps would choose to re-honor my family member with a reissue, in all it's gold diamond features & glory, is extra special. I do realize part of Tony's inclusion in the Gold Canary set is because he is still alive, & could sign the cards for Topps.

I have never even looked at a PSA registry, or even heard that word "registry" before a month ago. I don't know what 1953 Topps registry even means actually. I just don't wish to be like Mr Wallach collector buying $1 cards every day. I don't want to buy $1-$10 1953 Topps Bartirome's. I just want to have the rarest ones from 1953 - so that is PSA 7 and up. I arbitrarily chose that number to go with. I wouldn't know what to do with stacks of $1-$10 cards.

And yes, I want ALL 1952 Topps #332 because "they are innately valuable, condition not withstanding." To me they are prized possessions, & part of an amazing, historical story.

The comment that said I could liquidate 1953 Topps Bartirome easier then 1952 Topps Bartirome, how do you figure? There are a 100 listings for 1953 Topps Bartirome. If I bought them all up at the listed prices, & wanted to liquidate, even if I list them all for half the prices, 90% of the 100 listings would just sit there. I was under the assumption barely anyone is buying a 1953 Topps Bartirome because there are far less set collectors. It has no story, no legend, no allure. There are 0 listings for 1952 Topps Bartirome. Even before I jumped into the market, there would only be 1-2 at any given time. Please elaborate why you think I could liquidate 1953 Topps Bartirome easier then 1952 Topps Bartirome.....

Due to the advice of some PM's, I am going underground now except to post an updated picture of all the cards before the end of the year on this thread. Perhaps I will ignore the #332 going on HA next month. I will not pay $1,500 again. Perhaps there was manipulation in after hours bidding or bidders trying to win it to then sell it to me (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=38312). The winner of this:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/colesq10/1952%20bidding%20war_zps4azjlobu.jpg

is willing to sell it to me for $300, but he has also been significantly bidding me up for the past handful of #332 auctions because he has been needing a Bartirome. I simply forgot to bid that evening, & lost out on it. Now, I would normally pay the $300 and get it, but this group conversation has convinced me to stop encouraging the higher prices. If I buy it, he will go back to bidding against me on all future ones until I slip up & he wins again. If I don't buy it, he is done & out of the market & I don't have to deal with him indefinitely. I will stop this madness for a few listings, & disappear, so hopefully people stop risking their high bids thinking I will buy from them. I can pass on a #332 & buy it the next time it hits the market.

Thanks guys! I'll reply to this thread with a few pics of.
the collection before the end of the year!

autograf
10-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Well......get ready for multiple stealth account activation........I still can't believe this douchecanoe can buy these 1952T's and doesn't have enough to pay for his $1800 rent/month. Definitely a candidate for Mensa...........

Bruinsfan94
10-26-2015, 08:31 AM
At this point, I'm just confused. If you are going to lie, why pick a player who is still alive and then go tell everyone on a board that has 1000's of people who have been around baseball their whole life. Not that hard to find someone who could figure that out. I honestly think this guy just likes to be shady for the sake of being shady.

jason.1969
10-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Let's put aside the history of fraud and felony, along with the false story of being a relative. Instead, let's just assume for a minute that someone really did want to corner the market on a card for profit. What would be the best formula?

1. Go with a classic set that will always have collectors
2. Choose a card there are the fewest of (i.e., high number, non-DP)
3. Choose a common since stars will cost too much.
4. Don't tell everyone what you're doing.

So our guy here succeeded with 3 out of 4. But let's imagine he went 4 for 4 and kept it up for another 15 years...

I'll assume he ends up with 600 of the card, at an avg purchase price of $300. That's $180K in all. I'll also assume there are 300 other surviving copies out there, scattered across various collectors holding 1-2 cards each.

Now there are two paths forward.

1. Call attention to the scarcity of the card and hope the market responds by doubling its valuation. If so, Cole could see a good profit on his first N sales, but at some point these sales would serve to erode the scarcity. So basically a fail.

2. In a high profile event, destroy all but perhaps the 10 highest grade copies of the card. Now the scarcity is permanent, and Cole holds perhaps 10 of the 15 highest grade copies. Because there are still 300 or so other copies out there, I still don't see enough scarcity to recoup the investment, but I would at least see immortality in the Hobby Lore and perhaps a handful of high-adrenalin sales in the $20K range.

Anyone see vastly different scenarios or outcomes?

Leon
10-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Well......get ready for multiple stealth account activation........I still can't believe this douchecanoe can buy these 1952T's and doesn't have enough to pay for his $1800 rent/month. Definitely a candidate for Mensa...........

I appreciate the fact that he is going to ruin me but first could I do him a favor? I figured what the heck, why not?

7nohitter
10-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Are 'stealth accounts' a persistent problem on this board?

Leon
10-26-2015, 09:15 AM

They are stealth so I don't know.... LMAO....not as far as I can tell but like I always say, I am sure some roaches crawl in under the door. And as long as they stay in the dark they won't get stomped on. I can't imagine being on a forum where I am not allowed or wanted. There has to be better things to do with my time. But I guess as evidenced by this thread one can never tell.

egri
10-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Let's put aside the history of fraud and felony, along with the false story of being a relative. Instead, let's just assume for a minute that someone really did want to corner the market on a card for profit. What would be the best formula?

1. Go with a classic set that will always have collectors
2. Choose a card there are the fewest of (i.e., high number, non-DP)
3. Choose a common since stars will cost too much.
4. Don't tell everyone what you're doing.

So our guy here succeeded with 3 out of 4. But let's imagine he went 4 for 4 and kept it up for another 15 years...

I'll assume he ends up with 600 of the card, at an avg purchase price of $300. That's $180K in all. I'll also assume there are 300 other surviving copies out there, scattered across various collectors holding 1-2 cards each.

1. Call attention to the scarcity of the card and hope the market responds by doubling its valuation. If so, Cole could see a good profit on his first N sales, but at some point these sales would serve to erode the scarcity. So basically a fail.

2. In a high profile event, destroy all but perhaps the 10 highest grade copies of the card. Now the scarcity is permanent, and Cole holds perhaps 10 of the 15 highest grade copies. Because there are still 300 or so other copies out there, I still don't see enough scarcity to recoup the investment, but I would at least see immortality in the Hobby Lore and perhaps a handful of high-adrenalin sales in the $20K range.

He's off his rocker, plain and simple.

I think the thing to remember is that for him to go ahead with his plan, it only has to make sense to him. I could never justify spending that kind of money on cards while struggling to make rent, but I'm not the one trying to corner the market here. My frontal lobes haven't even fully developed yet, and I can tell that's a bad idea. I could understand if he was buying a few for immediate family, but this amount of spending just doesn't make sense.

ALR-bishop
10-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Based on sage PM advice he has gone underground...or been grounded

tschock
10-26-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm really busy right now, but your story will be compiled and published on the front page & when it does I will activate the multiple stealth accounts I have on net54 to spam the hell out of your boards to spread the word about the exclusive story of Leon Luckey. Don't think I have forgotten or given up. A month may go by, but when I have a weekend to finalize the finishing touches on the organization of the article, it will go live, & you will never get that removed.

Do me a favor and post this reply to my thread in the meantime, as I was unable to post it when you banned me during the writing of this.

Sooooooooo... he has the ability to have multiple stealth accounts and will be able to post something on the front page that you won't be able to remove, but is "unable to post" because he was banned?

One world class hacker there. :rolleyes:

PolarBear
10-26-2015, 11:42 AM

In the coin hobby, you run across specific hoarders now and then. It never, ever, works out for them financially. They may sell the first few at high prices but the market is what it is. They can never sustain it and ultimately lose because the high market prices were caused by the high prices they paid to hoard them and is not something they are ever able to fully recover when selling.

deucetwins
10-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Will we be able to use our stealth accounts to submit multiple answers to Leon's monthly contests in order to increase our chances of winning?:D

iowadoc77
10-26-2015, 12:14 PM
DOUCHECANOE!!!!!!!
Still laughing to tears over this.
Well said autograf!

egri
10-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Will we be able to use our stealth accounts to submit multiple answers to Leon's monthly contests in order to increase our chances of winning?:D

Wait, you don't already do that?:D

Exhibitman
10-26-2015, 12:38 PM

Yes, and if you create one and Leon finds out you will be put on double secret probation. There is a little-known codicil in the N54 Constitution that gives the moderator unlimited power to preserve order in times of message board emergencies.

btcarfagno
10-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Yes, and if you create one and Leon finds out you will be put on double secret probation. There is a little-known codicil in the N54 Constitution that gives the moderator unlimited power to preserve order in times of message board emergencies.

I want to make an amusing statement regarding the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor but can't quite figure out a way to fit it in.

So there.

Tom C

iowadoc77
10-26-2015, 02:13 PM
I want to make an amusing statement regarding the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor but can't quite figure out a way to fit it in.

So there.

Tom C

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/wgna.com/files/2012/04/Animal-House-630x342.jpg

SMPEP
10-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Don't stop him. He's on a roll.

the 'stache
10-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Just...wow. Just when you thought this couldn't get any weirder....

Remember the day, everybody, where the phrase "stealth account" entered into the Net 54 lexicon.

Jantz
10-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Just...wow. Just when you thought this couldn't get any weirder....

Remember the day, everybody, where the phrase "stealth account" entered into the Net 54 lexicon.

Bill

You forgot douchecanoe & codicil

ksabet
10-27-2015, 08:06 AM
Leon will probably shake his head in disgust but these are my favorite posts.

I think we should have a "douchecanoe" Hall of Fame

I nominate Bruce Marshall Barkman, Adrian and this guy!!!

7nohitter
10-27-2015, 08:10 AM

So these guys would be like the class of '36?

jason.1969
10-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I believe I have figured out the scam, thankfully thwarted early by Leon.

Naturally, all of us wondered the same thing, "Why Bartirome?" as opposed to Hall of Famers or other notable cards from the set like Pafko. Well, here is the key...recall that this collector said several times that he is very young.

We know today that a great number of N54 members, perhaps even a majority, have seen the great stars of the 1950s play in person or at least met many of them at shows. However, think about kids who are just today developing a love for the game and its associated cardboard treasures. Will any of these kids even know--not by name but by face--the great Hank Aaron from Joe Pepitone, or Bob Feller from Johnny Antonelli?

So imagine now that in 30 years, with most of us dead or in homes (sorry!), that a fellow takes out his stash of 500 Bartiromes, does a little state-of-the-art card doctoring (which is really, really good in 2045), and makes just a few small modifications. And presto!!!

Sure, you'd be able to tell the difference, but think of the kids today who never saw or met the guy!

Sean
10-27-2015, 09:17 AM

And let's not forget Andrew and his Wagner. :D

deucetwins
10-27-2015, 10:30 AM
For the douchecanoe HOF, some will definitely need to be picked by the Veteran's committee. (That damn Archive!)

I would also include ice cream scoops.

Could someone please post the thread links to/for all of the inaugural candidates? I realize with Adrian, there might be too many. (Post 1 today).

Eric72
10-27-2015, 10:59 AM
Could someone please post the thread links to/for all of the inaugural candidates?

The Andrew / Nun's Wagner Trilogy:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163782

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163800

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163818

Enjoy...

Best regards,

Eric

wolf441
10-27-2015, 11:02 AM
So, I've ignored this thread because I have no interest in 1952 Topps (no offense to anyone who does, it's just not my thing). I finally decided to see why it hadn't run it's course by now.

LEON, you need to have some sort of "THIS IS CRAZY SH*T" icon that you can stick to threads so that we know when to break out the bags of popcorn! :D

tschock
10-27-2015, 11:57 AM
LEON, you need to have some sort of "THIS IS CRAZY SH*T" icon that you can stick to threads so that we know when to break out the bags of popcorn! :D

Maybe...

whaler
10-27-2015, 03:51 PM
No, I can vouch for that doctor, too. He just likes giant mitts :). I mean the guy who wants to buy every T212 (Obak) Miller (link (http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1149274336/Player+collectors-+are+you+out+there-)). For all I know, he's still making set collectors pay for that card because he runs them up. He's a jerk and I'm positive that is a fact, not just my opinion.

Bill

Okay, I'll bite - why is it a fact that I am a jerk? I am quite certain we have never met, and I do not even recall ever having a conversation with you. Is it the fact that the cards of my great-grandfather are worth more to me than they are to some other people? I have been outbid on cards and not once did I think that the winning buyer was a jerk. I have never understood how some people feel they are entitled to a card to fill a hole in their set, at the price they want to pay, just because they want it. Feel free to disagree with what/how I collect, but I fail to see the need for name calling; that says more about you than it does me. I have done several transaction with board members here and I doubt anyone who has actually dealt with me would consider me a jerk.

Sean
10-27-2015, 05:37 PM
And the Crazy continues....

bcornell
10-27-2015, 06:00 PM
I doubt anyone who has actually dealt with me would consider me a jerk.

No, that would just be every collector trying to complete a T212 Obak set who learns that you will run them up over a single card. Let me explain it again: You're not a collector, you're a hoarder who has no appreciation for the hobby.

egbeachley
10-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Is it the fact that the cards of my great-grandfather are worth more to me than they are to some other people?

No. But why have more than a couple cards?

I've been thinking about this. Hoarding cards is certainly not illegal, I don't even think it's unethical. But the more I consider this the more I agree with Bill, this is a complete "jerk" move.

Very similar to being first in line at a wedding buffet and taking all the shrimp. While that's certainly desirable, we don't do it because it's a "jerk" move.

1952boyntoncollector
10-27-2015, 07:21 PM
No. But why have more than a couple cards?

I've been thinking about this. Hoarding cards is certainly not illegal, I don't even think it's unethical. But the more I consider this the more I agree with Bill, this is a complete "jerk" move.

Very similar to being first in line at a wedding buffet and taking all the shrimp. While that's certainly desirable, we don't do it because it's a "jerk" move.

sometimes if there is just a few shrimp left...if someone takes the rest its a courtesy to the rest of the patrons because then the restaurant will come out with a fresh batch which they wouldn't of if there were still a few lingerers in the pan...works with ribs as well..

Eric72
10-27-2015, 07:54 PM
sometimes if there is just a few shrimp left...if someone takes the rest its a courtesy to the rest of the patrons because then the restaurant will come out with a fresh batch which they wouldn't of if there were still a few lingerers in the pan...works with ribs as well..

Apples to oranges comparison, in your own peculiar shrimp-to-ribs sort of way.

the 'stache
10-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Bill

You forgot douchecanoe & codicil

Jantz, our lexicon cup overfloweth.

See, this is a perfect example of why I love Net 54. Oh, sure, there's the wonderful baseball card talk, the eye candy, the occasional bat sh#t crazy person that wanders in, and the entertainment they provide. But on top of all that, this place goes a long way towards improving my vocabulary. How many places can you indulge your hobby addiction, and expand upon your command of the English language? And the best part? All this fun is free.

Capital idea! Let's not forget Peter Nash, too. We can at least include him in the vote, right? He may have to wait for the Veteran's Committee, but I like his chances to eventually get in.

So these guys would be like the class of '36?

What are the odds we get them all to sit for a picture?

Enjoy...

Best regards,

Eric

Are those the original theatrical releases, Eric, or the ones where George Lucas went in and tinkered? Tell me Andrew still shoots first.

This thread is turning into an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. And, I love it.

PolarBear
10-27-2015, 08:20 PM

Enjoy...

Best regards,

Eric

Well, that was entertaining. :eek:

iowadoc77
10-27-2015, 08:28 PM
This douchecanoe is up a river without a paddle.
I am still not sure what a stealth account is but I am bracing myself

Eric72
10-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Are those the original theatrical releases, Eric, or the ones where George Lucas went in and tinkered? Tell me Andrew still shoots first.

The threads were presented in their original theatrical version, without the benefit of Lucas remastering them.

Best,

Eric

egri
10-28-2015, 01:58 PM
When we create the National Douchecanoe Hall of Fame, should Cole receive one induction, for himself, or separate inductions, for each of his "stealth" accounts? I was going to leave it to the BBWAN54 (Baseball Writers Association of Net54) to decide, but then I thought it might be best to not involve the writers. Especially since they always miss a few who should be in, and vote in a few who should be out :p.

btcarfagno
10-28-2015, 02:07 PM
When we create the National Douchecanoe Hall of Fame, should Cole receive one induction, for himself, or separate inductions, for each of his "stealth" accounts? I was going to leave it to the BBWAN54 (Baseball Writers Association of Net54) to decide, but then I thought it might be best to not involve the writers. Especially since they always miss a few who should be in, and vote in a few who should be out :p.

Plus they always let their personal feelings about the person get in the way of their job. No one should be left out of the DCHOF simply because of a positive encounter here or there. If you deserve it, you're in! Simply as that.

Tom C

deucetwins
10-28-2015, 03:02 PM
For the Sabrmetricians, will there be stats to judge worthiness of entry? For instance, who has the highest WAR? Andrew, Bruce, Cole, Adrian? Or is a criteria how many times Leon has to intervene in the posts or outright ban them?

iwantitiwinit
10-28-2015, 05:11 PM
I don't care what anyone says, that Adrian thread was one of the most entertaining things I have ever read. He's the Babe Ruth, the Michael Jordan, the Wayne Gretzky of the thread posting world.

Leon you should consider lifting the ban on him just for the attention it brings to the site, you could probably charge more for advertising solely because of him. Kinda like how new number one draft picks often result in an immediate increase in ticket sales.

Leon
10-28-2015, 06:15 PM
I don't care what anyone says, that Adrian thread was one of the most entertaining things I have ever read. He's the Babe Ruth, the Michael Jordan, the Wayne Gretzky of the thread posting world.

Leon you should consider lifting the ban on him just for the attention it brings to the site, you could probably charge more for advertising solely because of him. Kinda like how new number one draft picks often result in an immediate increase in ticket sales.

I like chaos as much as the next guy but the safety of our community comes first. However, the DCHOF sounds pretty cool. :)

frankbmd
10-28-2015, 06:21 PM
I like chaos as much as the next guy but the safety of our community comes first. However, the DCHOF sounds pretty cool. :)

Will we need a curator or law enforcement?

Leon
10-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Will we need a curator or law enforcement?

I am guessing both!!

btcarfagno
10-28-2015, 06:39 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/61751232.jpg

Tom C

Sean
10-28-2015, 06:54 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/61751232.jpg

Tom C

Leon, here's next year's t-shirt! :D:eek::D

iowadoc77
10-28-2015, 09:22 PM
this

ls7plus
10-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Delete--just read the intermediate sections of this post

ramram
10-29-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm also voting for ALL of the Bruce Dorskinds for the DCHOF, posthumously. He/they may take a couple of years to get in, but if his/their full resume of Net54 material gets presented, he'll/they'll get in.

Rob M.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
10-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Ahh, yes, the Bruces Dorskii. Much like Cobb, they'd have been running five minutes late en route to the charter member group photo shoot.

midmo
10-29-2015, 09:10 AM

Joshchisox08
10-29-2015, 09:26 AM
Would someone be so kind to sum up what happened in this thread lol ???

1952boyntoncollector
10-29-2015, 09:30 AM

Some guys gives a back story (which I never care about, like when old not graded Mantles are found in somebodies attic or storage locker and only sold as a reprint cause haven't got them graded)

some guy wants every card of a one player in a topps set
some guy says he will over pay for cards.....
some guy does overpay for some cards....how many who knows.
some guy questions that he will never accomplish his goal and he isn't for real
some guy isn't for real
some guy is banned
some guy has very questionable history when googled.
some guy has secret accounts

jason.1969
10-29-2015, 09:55 AM

That would be impossible!

iowadoc77
10-29-2015, 10:28 AM
That would be impossible!

What he said! Seriously, the best I can do is this- grab some popcorn and your favorite beverage and sit in you canoe and enjoy from start to finish. Pure excellence and irrelevance at the same time. Worth the time!

tschock
10-29-2015, 05:35 PM

I could sum it up in 2 words. Tristram Shandy. ;)

mrmopar
10-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Speaking of T206 Wagners…did Jason Mars ever make it here to this site?

The nun Wagner story reminds me a lot of Mars, not so much that Andrew reacted like Mars (that reaction made it that much more comical), but that neither provided the necessary proof everyone wanted and would be easy enough to provide.

uyu906
12-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Is this the same guy that this thread is about? -
http://www.ocweekly.com/news/cole-bartiromo-bloodied-trump-fan-is-an-ex-felon-who-wants-all-muslims-dead-7160092

h2oya311
12-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Is this the same guy that this thread is about? -
http://www.ocweekly.com/news/cole-bartiromo-bloodied-trump-fan-is-an-ex-felon-who-wants-all-muslims-dead-7160092

That picture will be on his Net54 HOF plaque! Awesome!

glynparson
12-08-2016, 10:55 AM
For biggest piece of $#!+ to post on net54

Zach Wheat
12-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Jantz, our lexicon cup overfloweth.

See, this is a perfect example of why I love Net 54. Oh, sure, there's the wonderful baseball card talk, the eye candy, the occasional bat sh#t crazy person that wanders in.........................

This thread is turning into an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. And, I love it.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Peter Chao. There were some interesting threads until he got banned by Leon. In an attempt to create a safe transparent environment for the BST - I think it was his suggestion that all BST transactions go through Leon for payment & shipping that got him banned...... Right Leon? :)

Leon
12-08-2016, 12:57 PM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Peter Chao. There were some interesting threads until he got banned by Leon. In an attempt to create a safe transparent environment for the BST - I think it was his suggestion that all BST transactions go through Leon for payment & shipping that got him banned...... Right Leon? :)

I am not sure about that but can't imagine it. I don't want almost anything coming through me (the board) except for the few ads and things like that. What people do on here, in a professional manner, is their own business. Leave me out of it, please. :)

ALR-bishop
12-08-2016, 01:40 PM
It is a little disappointing he was getting the autograph on a $500 bill rather than a Bartirome card

h2oya311
12-08-2016, 01:58 PM
It is a little disappointing he was getting the autograph on a $500 bill rather than a Bartirome card

Until I had read that article, I never knew there was such a thing as a $500 bill. For that reason alone, I like that it wasn't a '52 Bartirome that was getting autographed!

autograf
12-08-2016, 02:55 PM
$1000 and $10000 as well.........$500 and $1000 most common in circulation at one time. You can buy em all day on ebay........they aint cheap.

Sean
12-08-2016, 05:21 PM
So who is on a $500?

bnorth
12-08-2016, 05:26 PM
So who is on a $500?

I believe William McKinley was the last person on one but there has been several.

JustinD
12-08-2016, 07:16 PM
I remember Benny Binion having one million in 10,000 dollar bills on display at the Horseshoe in Vegas.

Its also not as well know as it was not used commonly, but there was also a 100,000.00 bill issued with Woodrow Wilson on it.

1952boyntoncollector
12-08-2016, 07:54 PM
I remember Benny Binion having one million in 10,000 dollar bills on display at the Horseshoe in Vegas.

Its also not as well know as it was not used commonly, but there was also a 100,000.00 bill issued with Woodrow Wilson on it.

Some registers say they dont have change for $100.00. But the registers that dont say they have any limits of change, i wonder if they take $100,000 and give you change when you buy some gum.

ctownboy
12-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Some thoughts:

1) It is too bad he defaced a $500 bill by having Trump autograph it.

2) Seeing his past, I wonder where he got the funds to acquire a $500 bill.

3) Considering he is related to Maria Bartiromo, I wonder if she (or Fox News) broadcast anything about this guy or the incident. If they did, did they bring up his past?

4) $100,000 dollar bills were only circulated within the different Federal Reserve banks.

David

Bruinsfan94
12-08-2016, 08:28 PM
This guy has had the most insane life I've ever seen.

Cliff Bowman
12-08-2016, 08:47 PM
3) Considering he is related to Maria Bartiromo, I wonder if she (or Fox News) broadcast anything about this guy or the incident. If they did, did they bring up his past?

David

Another one of his lies, she has denied being related to him or his father.

FourStrikes
12-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Another one of his lies, she has denied being related to him or his father.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vbJxMd3Pls8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rjackson44
12-09-2016, 10:37 AM
A very sick person.

tschock
12-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Some registers say they dont have change for $100.00. But the registers that dont say they have any limits of change, i wonder if they take $100,000 and give you change when you buy some gum.

When someone asks me, I ALWAYS have change for a $100 bill! Oh, you meant exact change? *walking away whistling*

Michael B
12-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Have they announced the dates for the N54 DCHOF? I want to make my hotel reservations early. Nothing like sitting on the porch of the host hotel watching the sun go down on a Summers Eve...

ALR-bishop
12-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Has Danali replaced McKinley on the $500 bill ?

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/1959010_zpsfwudkm9u.jpg

And town boy -- keep your political views to yourself, or stick your name out there

the 'stache
12-10-2016, 11:17 PM
After taking the time to re-read this entire thread, I wanna be sedated.

What....just happened here? Part of me (begrudgingly) wants to see what Adrian would do, too, were he reinstated. Has he learned from the error of his ways? Part of me also thinks that he's the one thing in all the universe that could escape a black hole, too, but I digress. Call Stephen Hawking, and let's see if Adrian could exploit the event horizon to emerge safely on the other side.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vbJxMd3Pls8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

clydepepper
12-11-2016, 12:20 AM
Has Danali replaced McKinley on the $500 bill ?

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/1959010_zpsfwudkm9u.jpg

And town boy -- keep your political views to yourself, or stick your name out there

...ah...I thought those mountains looked familiar...but not for just one $500 bill!

buymycards
12-11-2016, 05:07 PM
I vote for gizmo.

PGAprocollector
04-13-2017, 01:56 AM
While I can appreciate what you're doing for the family, that's cool. But there's guy's like me who have made it such a long way in collecting this set. Given the many you have along with the few who actually finish it, would you ever consider selling a PSA 5 or 6? Strictly for the true collector Registered on PSA with the set ... I have the Mantle in a PSA 5, Jackie a 6, Reese a 6, some high numbers are 7's. Collector to collector ... in honor of him ... I'll write a small biography about him ... anything for one single card. And it'll be just another story I can tell my son one day when he gets the set. PLEASE!!!

7nohitter
04-13-2017, 03:06 AM
While I can appreciate what you're doing for the family, that's cool. But there's guy's like me who have made it such a long way in collecting this set. Given the many you have along with the few who actually finish it, would you ever consider selling a PSA 5 or 6? Strictly for the true collector Registered on PSA with the set ... I have the Mantle in a PSA 5, Jackie a 6, Reese a 6, some high numbers are 7's. Collector to collector ... in honor of him ... I'll write a small biography about him ... anything for one single card. And it'll be just another story I can tell my son one day when he gets the set. PLEASE!!!

Wait. WHAT???

swarmee
04-13-2017, 04:30 AM
Welcome new guy, PGAProCollector. Read the rest of the thread. The Bartirome guy has been banned from this message board.

slidekellyslide
04-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Welcome new guy, PGAProCollector. Read the rest of the thread. The Bartirome guy has been banned from this message board.

And he's probably in jail for one of the many scams he was involved in.

jason.1969
04-13-2017, 07:44 AM
And he's not even family. 100% scam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

h2oya311
04-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Saw this the other day and thought of this thread...did anyone know that Bartirome later became the athletic trainer for the Columbus Jets. Here he is in a team photo (middle row on the right w/out uniform)...he sorta looks like the team janitor in this pic (no offense to Bartirome or his REAL family).

2dueces
04-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Must have missed this first time around. Very entertaining. Peter Chao.. Ahh. A blast from the past. Hey Leon! Did Joe Jackson really play his whole career shoeless? Oldie but goodie.

jrmartin
08-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Guess he's not overpaying anymore!

irv
08-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Guess he's not overpaying anymore!

Anyway to make that larger or can you post the link?

If not, can you or someone, in a nutshell, explain to me what it reads?

egri
08-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Anyway to make that larger or can you post the link?

If not, can you or someone, in a nutshell, explain to me what it reads?

Cole Bartiromo tried to lowball someone selling a pair of 1952 Topps #311; the seller didn't budge.