PDA

View Full Version : This day in baseball history... the death of Len Koenecke

ZachS
09-17-2015, 08:59 AM
80 years ago today, Len Koenecke was killed by a fire extinguisher to the head while trying to hijack a plane.

Leonard George "Len" Koenecke (January 18, 1904 in Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA – September 17, 1935 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada) was an American baseball player who played Major League Baseball for the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants.

Koenecke made his professional debut for the Moline Plowboys in the Mississippi Valley League in 1927. In 1928 he joined Indianapolis in the American Association.

After several seasons with Indianapolis, Koenecke was signed to the New York Giants in December 1931 in a deal worth $75,000. Manager John McGraw predicted he would "be a bright star in the National League". He played just the one season with the Giants.

In 1933 while playing for the International League Buffalo Bisons, he hit .334 and drove in 100 RBIs while hitting 8 home runs. In 1934 Koenecke joined the Brooklyn Dodgers where in his first season he hit 14 home runs, 73 RBI and set a National League outfielding record fielding 0.994. His second season saw a decline in his onfield performance and his drinking became a problem to the point where he was cut during the middle of a road trip.

After being sent home from the road trip he caught a commercial flight for New York. During the flight he drank a quart of whiskey and became very drunk. After harassing other passengers and striking a stewardess, the pilot had to sit on him to restrain him as he was shackled to his seat. He was removed unconscious from the flight in Detroit. After sleeping on a chair in the airport he chartered a flight to Buffalo. While flying over Canada he had a disagreement with the pilot and a passenger, and attempted to take control of the aircraft. In order to avoid a crash he was hit over the head by both the pilot (who had left his controls) and the other passenger with a fire extinguisher. After an emergency landing on a racetrack it was found that Koenecke had died of a cerebral hemorrhage. The two pilots were charged with manslaughter but were found not guilty in a trial soon after.

Further reading for anyone interested in a longer (more graphic) version: Len Koenecke: Trains, Planes and Fire Extinguishers (http://infinitecardset.blogspot.com/2012/11/len-koenecke-trains-planes-and-fire.html)

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31400000/Leonard-George-Len-Koenecke-January-18-1904-September-17-1935-celebrities-who-died-young-31419986-482-625.png
http://www.securiteaerienne.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/William-Mulqueeny-Irwis-Davis.gif

btcarfagno
09-17-2015, 09:25 AM
http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/Koenecke_zps28bb885f.jpeg

Tom C

tjenkins
09-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Cool story. I did not know anything about it.

jerseygary
09-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks for posting a link to my story and illustration. I always saw blurbs and mentions about Koenecke in baseball books over the years, so I wanted to find out as much as I could and put it all together in one story. As a side note a Hollywood actor asked me to write a screenplay for a short film based on my story but we couldn't agree on a price so nothing came of it.

That's a great cut signature. I found a nice Koenecke signature model glove but forgot to put a bid on it - still kicking myself over that.

ZachS
09-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks for posting a link to my story and illustration. I always saw blurbs and mentions about Koenecke in baseball books over the years, so I wanted to find out as much as I could and put it all together in one story. As a side note a Hollywood actor asked me to write a screenplay for a short film based on my story but we couldn't agree on a price so nothing came of it.

It's a very cool site! Interesting side note about the screenplay. How did the actor know about the story and how did he know to approach you about it?

jerseygary
09-17-2015, 12:19 PM
From what I remember there was some dopey CSI-like show (where all the cops are super-models) that had a plot where someone dies in a plane. One of the characters mentions that "that's how Len Koenecke died". I guess people started googling the name after the show aired and they found my site.

Leon
09-19-2015, 07:24 AM
What a story!! That was great. Thanks for sharing.