PDA

View Full Version : When Should an eBay Listing End?

Buythatcard
09-13-2015, 09:54 AM
There has been talk on other posts about when is the best time for an eBay listing to end. This is something that has always been an issue for me too. Every night, I start ending my listings at 10 PM EST. That means its only 7 PM for the West Coast bidders. I feel that I might be losing some of the West Coast market because the ending time might be too early for them. Many of them get home from work, at 5 - 6 PM, then eat dinner. The last thing they are thinking about at that time is to go bid on eBay.

Just like to hear what others think the best time is.

scooter729
09-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Being in Boston, I hate listings which end around midnight my time. I end up using snipes as needed if listings end after I go to sleep, but ideally (for me) things would end closer to 10PM ET.

As a seller, I would rather go too early rather than too late. If a listing ends earlier than ideal for a west coast person, at least they are still awake and potentially could bid. Listings which end too late for east coast folks risk having buyers unconscious, and bidding becomes a bit tougher then.

Of course, sniping has made this a bit of a moot question, but it is still relevant for many buyers who don't use snipe services.

JustinD
09-13-2015, 11:04 AM
I think you are right on with your 10 pm mark.

I lived for a time in Pacific Northwest and it was the hardest thing ever to enjoy sports like I was used to. No one knows what a true tailgate is when the broadcasts are starting at 8 am. I feel any true fan or collector on the WC is already more than prepared for something earlier in the day. Think about it, the late night games that start at 10 that all of us EST people complain about at work the next morning are starting at 7 for them and they are completely used to it.

D. Bergin
09-13-2015, 11:16 AM
I try to always start ending listings at 9PM EST on Sunday. 10PM EST any other day of the week.

I think it's the closest you can get to fulfilling the happy medium between East Coast and West Coast buyers.

On top of that, probably a good 25% of my bidders are International and I just hope they know how to use snipe programs, or just get their bids in on time. You can't possibly account for everything.

kmac32
09-13-2015, 03:49 PM
living on the West Coast, 7 pm on a Sunday is great

conor912
09-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Any time between 5:30 and 7:30pm is the worst possible time for me. That's when I'm dealing with people coming home, getting them fed and kids to bed. I can't tell you the countless number of things I've missed out on in this time window.

iwantitiwinit
09-13-2015, 05:35 PM
9 PM EST on a sunday during the football season. The reason, gamblers on NFL games know by now whether they have won $ or not. They have disposable income and many will be collectors. If nothing else it momentarily increases the population of individuals that will be willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on pieces of cardboard.

Econteachert205
09-13-2015, 05:48 PM
I just set a few of mine to end at 730 et Sunday because it is a little before the big rush when everyone else lists and it's slightly before dinner on the west coast.

Peter_Spaeth
09-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Unless you are trying to finesse bidding on multiple items and can't afford to win them all, why not just SNIPE????

glchen
09-13-2015, 06:56 PM
I usually end my auctions between 8pm to 10pm EST (or 5-7pm PST). Frankly, I just think there are more bidders on the East Coast, so it's better to cater to their timeframes.

conor912
09-13-2015, 07:06 PM
I usually end my auctions between 8pm to 10pm EST (or 5-7pm PST). Frankly, I just think there are more bidders on the East Coast, so it's better to cater to their timeframes.

Unless there's a guy like me who would have been willing to pay 30% more than the hammer price had I not been in the middle of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when it ended, which is often the case :)

Exhibitman
09-14-2015, 09:32 PM
See Rule 7:

1st RULE: You do not talk about Ebay auction endings.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about EBay auction endings.
3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the auction is over.
4th RULE: Only two shill bidders to an auction.
5th RULE: One auction at a time.
6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.
7th RULE: Auctions will go on as long as they have to.
8th RULE: If this is your first night at EBay you HAVE to bid.

Leon
09-17-2015, 12:54 PM

You aren't running for President as you just lost the West Coasters :).

glchen
09-17-2015, 01:05 PM
You aren't running for President as you just lost the West Coasters :).

I'm counting on the electoral votes from New York and Florida to take me to the White House. :) Besides I live in California and a have a reseller license, so I have to charge California residents 9.5% sales tax. That puts a crimp on my sales (and votes!) from my home state.