PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Goudeys - Real or Fake?

robw1959
09-10-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm admittedly not too savvy about this issue. A few years ago, I bought a PSA 3 Goudey Ruth card that I thought was a reprint because it was a "Buy-It-Now" deal for only $1000. I even cracked it out and sent it to PSA for authentication, and they promptly reholdered it in a PSA 3 slab for me.

I recently picked up these two cards on the Bay. They do have that Goudey thickness, but they just feel too smooth on either side, if you know what I mean. Plus neither have any discernible traces of that Goudey ghosting so commonly found on the backs. What do you think, guys?

drcy
09-10-2015, 11:13 PM
I vote real

conor912
09-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Just from the photos, my guess would be authentic, but trimmed.

JustinD
09-11-2015, 12:11 AM
Just from the photos, my guess would be authentic, but trimmed.

+1

T206Collector
09-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Authentic but trimmed.

Joshchisox08
09-11-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm admittedly not too savvy about this issue. A few years ago, I bought a PSA 3 Goudey Ruth card that I thought was a reprint because it was a "Buy-It-Now" deal for only $1000. I even cracked it out and sent it to PSA for authentication, and they promptly reholdered it in a PSA 3 slab for me.

I recently picked up these two cards on the Bay. They do have that Goudey thickness, but they just feel too smooth on either side, if you know what I mean. Plus neither have any discernible traces of that Goudey ghosting so commonly found on the backs. What do you think, guys?

I think it would be nice to a have $1k to spend on a reprint.

swarmee
09-11-2015, 11:34 AM
For future use, if you want to get PSA to confirm a card is a real card, you can leave it in the holder for them. Seems mighty risky to crack out a Ruth you aren't sure of... IMO.

rc4157
09-11-2015, 06:22 PM
The Goudey ghosting is typical on those cards that have the red banner at the bottom of the card and also red in the background of the card. At least that has been my experience.

RC

glchen
09-11-2015, 06:53 PM
I think the cards are genuine. The green on the back is the right color and not too bright. The borders on the back are not too wide either. The bottom edges look a little ragged, so may be trimmed.

robw1959
09-11-2015, 06:58 PM
I think it would be nice to a have $1k to spend on a reprint.

I know! It was eBay mad-money. Believe it or not, eBay issued me a $1000 credit toward any of their merchandise! They felt sorry for me due to a high-risk thousand dollar transaction that went wrong, so they issued that credit. Funny thing is, they covered the bad transaction with their guarantee, so I wasn't really out anything at all. That credit enabled me to buy the #144 Ruth card sight unseen. I mean it was one of those rare eBay listings that didn't feature a picture to go with the ad. I figured I couldn't go wrong playing with eBay's own money, so I bought the card. It is a nice card, but has some light water staining around some of the edges. I cracked it out of the holder in order to soak the stain away, but the feel of the card made me think it wasn't authentic. So I sent it to PSA before going through the trouble of soaking it. Since PSA has reholdered it with the original grade, I have acquired a case of cold feet about soaking it, and I'm quite happy with the grade.