PDA

View Full Version : NY Mets discussion

JeremyW
09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Hello- I'm a diehard Mets & I'm just wondering if there are any other fans out there that want to discuss the future of the Mets in 2015. Jeremy

CharleyBrown
09-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Hey Jeremy,

I'm a big Mets fan as well. The last series was phenomenal - just a lot of fun to watch.

I don't know about you, but it seems like there are a lot more Mets fans coming out of the woodwork now that they're winning. It's kind of nice to see some Mets shirts now - used to be all Yankees around here.

I'm super impressed by the overall fan-friendly nature of the team as well. My son got to play on Citi Field in July as part of the Curtis Granderson camp. He got to take batting practice with him as well. Anyhow, this year has been a blast with them playing so well.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/charleybrown/david-photos/32717/david-and-granderson-at-citi-field

One of my favorite photos as well:

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/charleybrown/david-photos/28468/david-and-granderson-2014

yanks12025
09-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Hey Jeremy,

I'm a big Mets fan as well. The last series was phenomenal - just a lot of fun to watch.

I don't know about you, but it seems like there are a lot more Mets fans coming out of the woodwork now that they're winning. It's kind of nice to see some Mets shirts now - used to be all Yankees around here.

I'm super impressed by the overall fan-friendly nature of the team as well. My son got to play on Citi Field in July as part of the Curtis Granderson camp. He got to take batting practice with him as well. Anyhow, this year has been a blast with them playing so well.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/charleybrown/david-photos/32717/david-and-granderson-at-citi-field

One of my favorite photos as well:

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/charleybrown/david-photos/28468/david-and-granderson-2014

The fans coming out and acting like they're real fans and been supporting the team forever are just bandwagon fans. Probably why Yankee stadium is almost empty, they just changed their hats to the mets. Even though I doubt both teams make it past the first round.

But good for you guys winning the NL East and stuff. Good luck

CharleyBrown
09-10-2015, 06:42 PM
The fans coming out and acting like they're real fans and been supporting the team forever are just bandwagon fans. Probably why Yankee stadium is almost empty, they just changed their hats to the mets. Even though I doubt both teams make it past the first round.

But good for you guys winning the NL East and stuff. Good luck

That's probably true - it's just nice to not have my co-workers busting my chops everyday.

mets41
09-10-2015, 11:10 PM
I just finished watching the Met/Brave game of 9/10.There were 35,000 fans who showed up dressed as empty seats, 15,000 were Met fans and 9 Brave fans. I've been a Met fan since 1962 opening day.

laughlinfan
09-11-2015, 06:55 AM
Been a really fun year - when we were rolling out Mayberry and Campbell in the 4 and 5 spots in the lineup back in mid-July, I never would have dreamed we would be where we are now. Went from a lineup with 4-5 almost sure outs every night to a lineup a few nights ago where Flores was hitting 8th - quite a swing!

Go Mets!

Eric72
09-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Dear Mets fans,

Congratulations on a great year thus far. Best wishes for a successful post-season.

Signed,

A Phillies fan

JeremyW
09-11-2015, 04:07 PM
I agree with most everything said so far. It's great being able to watch the younger players come along. I'm hoping their pitching will be able to keep them from repeating that horrible end of the '07 season. Even if they somehow don't make the playoffs this season, I'm enjoying each game this month as if it were the playoffs. Let's Go Mets.

JeremyW
09-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Shaun- I forgot to give kudos to the great photos! Grandy is coming around. I love him in the lead-off spot. The walks are invaluable.

Jim65
09-12-2015, 03:02 AM
Whatever happens in the post season is pure gravy, its been a fun year so far. Cespedes will not win the MVP, but no player has been more valuable to their team than him.

CharleyBrown
09-12-2015, 05:54 AM
Shaun- I forgot to give kudos to the great photos! Grandy is coming around. I love him in the lead-off spot. The walks are invaluable.

Thanks!

Yeah - he's been quietly having a solid year. He's just a few walks away from his career high, and he might hit 100 runs scored for the year. His average is right around his career mark and it's the highest it has been since 2011. He's also hitting more doubles than he has in years. Lastly, he's making pitchers throw the ball - he sees the most pitches of anyone on the team, game in and game out. 30 pitches last night. He's a great clubhouse guy as well, which is invaluable.

Cespedes has been incredible. He seems to really be having fun. There's no doubt he's going to want a big contract after this year - but with the year he's having - he deserves it.

clydepepper
09-12-2015, 05:59 AM
Curtis Granderson is one of the truly good guys in Baseball - I'm glad he is there to enjoy everything.

I was very amused yesterday, while suffering through another ugly Braves' game, the announcers were commenting that the Mets don't have any sympathy whatsoever for the current Braves'.

What goes around comes around - but we'll be back...in the meantime....

Go Mets!

the 'stache
09-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Mets have a young catcher named Travis D'Arnaud that I am very high on. You guys know about him, but I don't think he's become well known across the Majors yet. He's about to. The guy can flat hit. .296 with 11 HR and 38 RBI in under 190 ABs. I don't need to tell you guys how hot that would be across a whole season. That's really sexy production from the catcher position.

I think you guys are a team very much on the rise. I see a World Series appearance within the next two years. If your rotation can stay healthy, a 5 man of Harvey, Syndergaard, Matz, DeGrom and Wheeler...../shudder. No thank you. I wouldn't want to face them.

Seeing as how this is a baseball card forum, I thought I'd share a couple of my Mets rookie autos. I apologize, these are old pictures. I need to re-scan them with better color settings, and without the one touches.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img405/2220/07chrometdarnaud.pnghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img854/9729/10chromemharvey.pnghttp://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5518/2010chromensyndergaard.pnghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img341/9987/11bowmanzwheeler.png

And one more Wheeler. I hope this guy rebounds from TJ. I am so high on this young man.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/619/2009chromezwheelerbgs.png

Most teams are happy to have one staff ace if they can get them. The Mets truly have a five man rotation where any of them could be a staff ace-type pitcher. Harvey already is. The rest are headed that way. With Cespedes now a Met, it's frightening how good your team could be. The 80s are back in New York.

freakhappy
09-13-2015, 11:18 PM
I'm happy the Mets are where they are at right now...and I'd love to see them do some damage in the playoffs. Pitching wins and they definitely have it. There is a reason the Giants have won a few WS recently. They are very gritty on offense and their pitching gets the job done...the Mets share this trait.

Fantasy baseball has really given me an opportunity to pay attention to players and teams I otherwise wouldn't have as much interest in. I've had Granderson and D'arnaud on my team for over half the year and they have been awesome. I'm really impressed with what Granderson's been able to do. He walks like a madman and he's productive across the board...runs, hrs, doubles, a few sb, just very productive. What he's been able to do this year is that much more impressive because he seemed to be on a decline in recent years. His power didn't seem to fade, but he wasn't productive enough to be that relevant.

Congrats to all the Met's fans and I truly do hope they make some noise in the playoffs!

Shaun...great pictures and what an awesome experience for you and your son! Thanks for sharing

the 'stache
09-15-2015, 03:12 AM
I'm really impressed with what Granderson's been able to do. He walks like a madman and he's productive across the board...runs, hrs, doubles, a few sb, just very productive.

He's had a nice bounce back year, and I certainly like him as a person. I had him on my team for a while, too. But I wouldn't say he "walks like a madman." He draws a fair share, but Joey Votto "walks like a madman." Granderson's career high in walks in a season is 85. He'll break that this year, as he's at 83. That's a good clip. But...

Joey Votto has walked 127 times this year. He walked 135 times in 2013, 94 in 2012, and 110 in 2011. All led the league. He walked 47 times in an injury-shortened 2014 where he only played 62 games. At that pace, he'd have walked 122 times.

That is walking like a madman. Barry Bonds walked like a mad man. Ted Williams walked like a madman. Granderson walks like a slightly-deranged man. :p

freakhappy
09-15-2015, 03:45 PM
He's had a nice bounce back year, and I certainly like him as a person. I had him on my team for a while, too. But I wouldn't say he "walks like a madman." He draws a fair share, but Joey Votto "walks like a madman." Granderson's career high in walks in a season is 85. He'll break that this year, as he's at 83. That's a good clip. But...

Joey Votto has walked 127 times this year. He walked 135 times in 2013, 94 in 2012, and 110 in 2011. All led the league. He walked 47 times in an injury-shortened 2014 where he only played 62 games. At that pace, he'd have walked 122 times.

That is walking like a madman. Barry Bonds walked like a mad man. Ted Williams walked like a madman. Granderson walks like a slightly-deranged man. :p

You're right...votto is a walk machine, but granderson is second in walks in the majors in the last 30 days. Just loving what he's doing. The Mets are one of the teams I'm rooting hard for to make it to the WS.

CharleyBrown
09-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Mike, thanks!

Granderson has been quietly getting it done this year. I think he finally recognized the need to make a change in his hitting game, as he no longer had the short porch like he did with the Yanks. His #s are starting to look more like they were when he was with the Tigers. More walks, more doubles, more runs. He sees a ridiculous # of pitches each game - that alone makes a big impact. As I said earlier, too, is that he's a great clubhouse and community guy. When you have a genuinely positive player in the locker room - that's infectious - and it impacts performance on the field.

He still has some room to go - I'd like to see him hitting in the .280 range, and I'd like to see him perform better against lefties - but he's making great strides.

Here's hoping for another win tonight!

EvilKing00
09-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Huge met fan here! This season has been great, we had the pitching and about time we got that hitter we needed. Playoffs will be interesting with our rotation. I dont like tc at all, god i hope he retires.

Hope we keep cesp next year.

Lgm

RichardSimon
09-17-2015, 02:36 PM
My daughter entered the lottery with the 7 Line and got four tickets to Game 1 of the NLDS at Citifield. I will be there!!
Before the season starts, my son and I each pick an unexpected Mets guy to have a good strong year.
This year I picked Grandy and my son picks a pitcher who breaks his arm twice :).

JeremyW
09-26-2015, 07:02 PM
It's official. Back in the postseason!

JeremyW
09-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Forgot to mention that I like the Mets odds against LA.

rsn1661
09-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Those photos are to f**king cool. Wish l could get some like that with my grandson!

JeremyW
10-12-2015, 05:01 PM
I'm counting on Harvey to take care of business tonight.

JeremyW
10-27-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm counting on Harvey to take care of business tonight.

Sorry, had to quote myself. Happy Harvey Day.

clydepepper
11-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Say Goodnight, Jeremy !

Jim65
11-02-2015, 03:49 AM
You can't win when your closer blows saves.

Congrats to the Royals fans.

brookdodger55
11-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Cespedes, Murphy, Familia along with Errors never showed up for the World
Series. Totally played above there heads against tha Dodgers and Cubs, then came back down to earth to the Pre trade levels in the World Series.

clydepepper
11-02-2015, 09:53 AM
You can't win when your closer blows saves.

Congrats to the Royals fans.

Don't blame the closer- he got the ground-balls needed- just not the defense.

Jim65
11-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Don't blame the closer- he got the ground-balls needed- just not the defense.

I wasn't saying it was all his fault, but he did blow 3 saves, can't win that way.

I hope now we can stop all the re-sign Murphy stuff, Gary Cohen took a lot of heat when he called Murphy a net negative player, but he was 100% right.

nolemmings
11-02-2015, 10:32 AM
The closer blew game 1 and Collins never made best use of him thereafter. He should have been in there for a six-out save in Game 4 and for the 9th in Game 5 (or at least after the lead-off walk). Pitching the 9th in the Game 3 blowout didn't make a lot of sense either.

The series was a total team defeat for the Mets, with blame all around. Still, an entertaining series and they played KC close or better in four of the five games.

chaddurbin
11-02-2015, 11:41 AM
kc had pixie dust up their butts like the giants last year....their stat were unreal in the later innings. realistcally should've been eliminated by the astros. mets were the worst team to come out of the nl, total crapshoot as usual in the playoffs. all dodgers/cubs fan are effing daniel murphy today.

JeremyW
11-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Congrats to the Royals & their fans. It seems like they just wouldn't be denied. Both teams have a bright future. Hopefully the Mets make a couple smart moves & get back into the action next October.