PDA

View Full Version : OT: column on death of box scores in newspapers

Howard W. Rosenberg
09-10-2015, 08:27 AM
http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/372171/the-slow-death-of-baseball-box-scores-in-newspapers/

bxb
09-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Perhaps parallels the death of newspapers in general.

drcy
09-10-2015, 10:44 AM
My joke is "I read today's newspaper. Both sides."

Bocabirdman
09-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Their days have been numbered. The increase in statistical data that people need can not be conveyed in a newspaper box score. Add in the perennial favorite, late game omissions and the Fat lady has sang, driven the Last Nail and given the Camel his Final Straw.

z28jd
09-10-2015, 11:42 AM
If he got 700 complaints and most people don't take the time to complain, then it was probably a bad decision on his part.

I agree with the earlier caller that said newspapers in general are dying. I always found it funny that whenever shows talk about the future, there are still newspapers around so they can see the date. I'd be shocked if newspapers still existed in 50 years. I'd also be pretty old by then.

OldEnglishD
09-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I don't read printed newspapers any more (except for the odd occasion I am out of town and grab a USA Today), but I do look at box scores for a game summary.

GoldenAge50s
09-10-2015, 02:13 PM
My AM routine, for many yrs, has been to get up, start the coffee and go get the paper from the driveway.

I cannot imagine starting my day w/out sitting at the kitchen table, coffee cup in one hand, cigarette in the other and the paper in front of me for an hour or two of wakeup time.

KCRfan1
09-10-2015, 02:58 PM
I remember when the Kansas City Star printed all of the player stats in the Sunday paper. As a kid back in the day, I loved looking at the paper. Now, I just open my laptop...........Kind of miss being a kid.

ValKehl
09-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Ever since I was in junior high, one of my cherished daily pleasures has been reading the sports pages, especially the box scores during baseball season, while eating breakfast. These days, at age 71 and retired, I no longer have to dash off to school or work, leaving much more time to totally digest the sports section. If I'm "lucky," I'll croak before the Washington Post decides to eliminate the box scores!
Val

Butch7999
09-10-2015, 10:24 PM
As Reilly usedta say, "Wot a revoltin' development." We're with Fred and Val on this one (except subsitute "lunch" for "breakfast").

Although even as guys with some background in the newspaper biz we can sorta kinda see the one point -- the depth of stats available
on-line far surpassing what a newspaper can provide -- we're nauseated by the egotism of Sherman and his ilk ("readers would be better served
with... my columns"). It's a happy wonder that our hilariously inept local rag hasn't yet terminated the boxes and replaced them
with still more deathless, utterly fascinating first-person accounts of their hack writers' golf games, because who can ever get tired of
reading about those?

sportsguy
09-11-2015, 05:59 AM
I will be honest - I check them on-line as I really don't get newspapers anymore.

Mountaineer1999
09-11-2015, 09:33 PM
They are pulling the boxscores but leaving the stupid comics which I am 100% certain no one reads. One more reason to stop the presses.