PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Joaquin

joeadcock
09-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Joaquin Andujar, a nemesis of my Braves in the 80's passed today. From the Dominican Republic. Remember his rough style.

Stonepony
09-08-2015, 08:12 PM
My only memory of him is his implosion during game 7 of the 1985 WS

Peter_Spaeth
09-08-2015, 08:18 PM
He won games 3 and 7 of the 82 WS, then went on to consecutive 20 win seasons.

timn1
09-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Yeh Peter- he deserves to be remembered for more than '85.

Wa-keen! was a crazy f*cker! I wasn't a fan of his teams, but I liked his style.

World Champ, RIP!

bbcardzman
09-08-2015, 08:54 PM
He was a Great Cardinal!!
RIP

cardsfan73
09-08-2015, 11:59 PM
My earliest childhood baseball memory involves Joaquin Andujar.

The date was April 8, 1982 and the Cardinals were playing the Astros. This is the first game I remember as a child watching from start to finish, before that I only had a casual interest in the game. The match up was Andujar V. Houston's Bob Knepper. The game turned out to be a pitchers duel and even though my soon to be beloved Cardinals came out on the losing end of a 1-0 game I was hooked!
There were many great things that caught my attention including our newly acquired shortstop Ozzie Smith & Bruce Sutter coming in late in the game to try to keep the game close, but one thing that stood out to me was Andujar and his very animated personality/antics on the mound. Joaquin pitched a great game in a losing cause that day going 7.2 innings with 6k's, 1 BB & limited the Astros to 1 unearned run. I fondly recall watching this game on a 13" black and white tv our family had in the basement (which also had our Atari 2600 attached!! Mom was afraid the videogames would ruin our nice fancy color tv!!)

After this I was hooked on the Cardinals & baseball in general. What a fun team to watch and a magical season that ended with the Cards winning it all! This was also the year I purchased my first pack of baseball cards. I remember being upset that I finally got an Ozzie Smith card in a pack and he was pictured in a Padres uniform!!!

Many great memories of Mr. Andujar through out his seasons he spent here in St. Louis. Through the good times (winning games 3 & 7 in the 1982 Series) and the bad times (his horrible 1985 World Series) he remained one of my favorite players.

Sorry for the long rambling post.. Although he might not have been one of the games biggest stars he played a major role in making me a life long fan of the game of baseball which in turn lead me to the great hobby of baseball cards! Thank you Mr. Andujar for the memories and rest in peace.

Edit to add: A great story about how he earned the nickname "One Tough Dominican"
https://urbanshocker.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/joaquin-andujar-of-the-1982-cardinals-one-tough-dominican/

cardswin53
09-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Joaquin had one word for that "youneverknow". Goodbye to one of the great Cardinals of the 80s.

Beatles Guy
09-09-2015, 07:57 AM
My earliest childhood baseball memory involves Joaquin Andujar.

The date was April 8, 1982 and the Cardinals were playing the Astros. This is the first game I remember as a child watching from start to finish, before that I only had a casual interest in the game. The match up was Andujar V. Houston's Bob Knepper. The game turned out to be a pitchers duel and even though my soon to be beloved Cardinals came out on the losing end of a 1-0 game I was hooked!
There were many great things that caught my attention including our newly acquired shortstop Ozzie Smith & Bruce Sutter coming in late in the game to try to keep the game close, but one thing that stood out to me was Andujar and his very animated personality/antics on the mound. Joaquin pitched a great game in a losing cause that day going 7.2 innings with 6k's, 1 BB & limited the Astros to 1 unearned run. I fondly recall watching this game on a 13" black and white tv our family had in the basement (which also had our Atari 2600 attached!! Mom was afraid the videogames would ruin our nice fancy color tv!!)

After this I was hooked on the Cardinals & baseball in general. What a fun team to watch and a magical season that ended with the Cards winning it all! This was also the year I purchased my first pack of baseball cards. I remember being upset that I finally got an Ozzie Smith card in a pack and he was pictured in a Padres uniform!!!

Many great memories of Mr. Andujar through out his seasons he spent here in St. Louis. Through the good times (winning games 3 & 7 in the 1982 Series) and the bad times (his horrible 1985 World Series) he remained one of my favorite players.

Sorry for the long rambling post.. Although he might not have been one of the games biggest stars he played a major role in making me a life long fan of the game of baseball which in turn lead me to the great hobby of baseball cards! Thank you Mr. Andujar for the memories and rest in peace.

Edit to add: A great story about how he earned the nickname "One Tough Dominican"
https://urbanshocker.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/joaquin-andujar-of-the-1982-cardinals-one-tough-dominican/

Good memory Scott. I remember him pointing to the hitter after a strikeout. He was cocky but fun to watch.

the 'stache
09-09-2015, 08:12 AM
He won games 3 and 7 of the 82 WS, then went on to consecutive 20 win seasons.

Yes, he did. :mad:

RIP.

ALR-bishop
09-09-2015, 08:41 AM
He was at his best in that 82 stretch drive and playoffs. Ironically one of my favorite players and a former Cardinal, Ted Simmons, almost did both Joaquin and the Cardinals in by hitting him with a line drive on the leg early in the series.

But my favorite memory was in 84 in a game I attended against the Braves Joaquin was cruising and the Cards were already up and had runners at 2nd and 3d. The Braves elected to walk the 8th place hitter to get to Jaquan, who jokingly pointed at the right field wall on his way to the plate, and then proceeded to drill a grand slam. He literally floated around the bases.

He was a hot dog and he did implode in game 7 in 85, but we Cardinals fans give credit to Don D for providing that opportunity ;)

stlcardsfan
09-09-2015, 09:45 AM
One tough Dominican. His words. Quite a character.

cracker_jack
09-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Thought I'd share a photo of Joaquin. That's me in 1984 kneeling down, guess I didn't want to take up too much space. Through a doctor friend of my mother's, got to spend time with Joaquin, Jose Deleon (behind us) and Tony Pena. I also think Cecilio Guante was there. They were all nice guys.

brad15
09-15-2015, 05:48 PM
I was also at that game and I remember calling it that he would hit a grand slam and he did. It was so exciting. He always took a mighty cut at the ball no matter where it was pitched. I also think it may have been Bud Lite Mug Night and my mug never made it home. A very beloved Cardinal.