PDA

View Full Version : COA's

theshleps
09-07-2015, 01:09 PM
gave a few items to an auction house that has JSA precertify everything. They turned down 2 Ichiro rookies and a signed Jeter card. The Ichiros I had gotten in person. Auction house returned the items. A month later I sent them into another auction house (since I knew they were real). They also have JSA do precertification. They had the same authenticator look at the same items and they passed them this time. Same items, same authenticator, one month apart.
They also turned down two items I know are real both times as well as one I was unsure of.
So the authenticator only agreed with himself 50% of the time

RichardSimon
09-07-2015, 05:32 PM
A classic story Michael,, seems like they cannot get out of their own way.
Maybe the coin they flipped, to make their decision, actually had two different sides.

MooseDog
09-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Michael -

I have a Thurman Munson signed card I got myself that both PSA and JSA rejected. Like Richard said, I think sometimes it's a coin flip, or at least it seems like it.

Duluth Eskimo
09-07-2015, 09:55 PM
It's easier to decline and item than to put your name on it that you agree it is real. i think for guys like Jeter and Ichiro (both difficult and highly forged) it is an easy call for both companies to pass on those items unless they are exactly what they are looking for in a signature.

As for Munson, who knows. Could have been a slight breeze in the air that day.

theshleps
09-08-2015, 07:41 AM
The point isn't getting a real autograph rejected but the same item handed in twice to the same authenticator one month apart with three different items he rejected them once and not knowing he already looked at them, accepted them the next time

Fuddjcal
09-08-2015, 09:01 AM
The point isn't getting a real autograph rejected but the same item handed in twice to the same authenticator one month apart with three different items he rejected them once and not knowing he already looked at them, accepted them the next time

the point is, they are idiots;), but at least they got it right 1 outta 2. Meatloaf only expects 2 outta 3. What do you expect from a corporate giant? Good service? This is America. The land of cheater effers and morons. They intersect quite often around this hobby you'll find.

vthobby
09-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Authentication and grading companies love the American public because we are human after all and we re-submit items regularly and their bank account keeps getting fatter and fatter.

I had 2 hockey cards that I got in person when the NY Rangers were in town for their pre-season camp a long time ago. Camp was one week and held at UVM. One was a Gretzky (I got him a few times) and the other had Leetch, Richter, and Messier on it (this card took me 2 days to get all 3 autos and Messier is tough but I saved him for last and it worked!). PSA/DNA charged me $25 each so $50 to tell me that my 2 in person autograph cards were likely not authentic!?!?!?!?!?

I will not fall for their shenanigans however and refuse to re-submit. If any mof you have ever seen Richter and Leetch autos they are very unique and Messier also. Not sure what they thought they were looking at?

Peace, Mike

Duluth Eskimo
09-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Authentication and grading companies love the American public because we are human after all and we re-submit items regularly and their bank account keeps getting fatter and fatter.

I had 2 hockey cards that I got in person when the NY Rangers were in town for their pre-season camp a long time ago. Camp was one week and held at UVM. One was a Gretzky (I got him a few times) and the other had Leetch, Richter, and Messier on it (this card took me 2 days to get all 3 autos and Messier is tough but I saved him for last and it worked!). PSA/DNA charged me $25 each so $50 to tell me that my 2 in person autograph cards were likely not authentic!?!?!?!?!?

I will not fall for their shenanigans however and refuse to re-submit. If any mof you have ever seen Richter and Leetch autos they are very unique and Messier also. Not sure what they thought they were looking at?

Peace, Mike

Didn't you already fall for the shenanigans by submitting something for authentication that you knew was real?

ooo-ribay
09-08-2015, 07:09 PM
I'be said it before and I'll say it again - the grading/certifying guys are running ONE BIG SCAM. :mad:

Runscott
09-09-2015, 09:49 AM
If a TPA has no idea whether it's real or not, and obviously if they reject it and it IS real, then they should just state that they can't render an opinion on that particular example.

They get paid to give opinions, so they give them, regardless of whether or not they have the expertise to do so. And we support this practice, as can easily be seen by at least one of the responses in this thread by someone who probably has the perfect expertise to work for either JSA or PSA.

travrosty
09-09-2015, 09:55 AM
If a TPA has no idea whether it's real or not, and obviously if they reject it and it IS real, then they should just state that they can't render an opinion on that particular example.

They get paid to give opinions, so they give them, regardless of whether or not they have the expertise to do so. And we support this practice, as can easily be seen by at least one of the responses in this thread by someone who probably has the perfect expertise to work for either JSA or PSA.

this is unfortunately true and there should be more no opinions in my opinion.

i give no opinions if they warrant it when i issue certs for boxing, more than others but the collectors respect authenticators that are honest rather than guess. Not every autograph can be authenticated or is a good enough example, even if it is real, to fall within the parameters of authenticity that an authenticator can detect. It's the way of the world. And once deemed authentic if it is not, it's that way forever because you can't get rid of the cert. error on the side of 'no opinion' if it truly cant be discerned one way or another.

Runscott
09-09-2015, 10:02 AM
...but the collectors respect authenticators that are honest rather than guess.

True for the knowledgeable collector.