PDA

View Full Version : A Unique thought to collection T206

Joshchisox08
09-05-2015, 07:20 PM
I've devoured part of The Monster this year going from probably 30 cards to 215 now.

I've had a process that I wouldn't buy raw cards. Well that changed as I became good friends with Luke Keeler who has a great Sovereign collection going on. He submitted my raw cards to PSA for me.

We have a poll thread about burning a card but this is something different. Something I highly doubt has EVER been brought up or thought of on this thread. I think I already know what I'm going to do but I'd like a poll anyway.

Some of you collect them and I happen to think they're pretty cool myself. I'm talking about Stamping the back of Raw cards with my own personal stamp before grading them. Of course the qualifier of a (MK) will be attached which doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I think it's really cool how people stamped their own cards a from who know's what year 10-100 years ago from owning it. I could put my stamp on my raws before grading and someday someone will know they were from my collection.

I do have 215/524 so I have a good dent. I will NOT crack open any slabs though.

Thoughts ????????

CobbvLajoie1910
09-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Horaay for another inane White Borders thread/poll.

T206Collector
09-05-2015, 09:48 PM
It's not really a unique idea, as you said there are lots of people who have done it, maybe just not in a few decades. But, I've thought about it, too. Especially with the signed T206s, where the value is all in the signature, and my stamp on the back,wouldn't hurt it a bit!

camlov2
09-06-2015, 04:29 PM
You can have your named added to the flip, assuming the card stays in the flip everyone will know it is/was yours without defacing the card.

unamuzd1
09-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Not a chance.

The reason I like back-stamps is that they're part of the history of the card, and reflect a time when card collecting hadn't turned into some ridiculous industry and the question of "Should I stamp or not?" wasn't even something to be considered - since why wouldn't you? It's just a picture of a ballplayer, to the folks who stamped them back in the day.

I like that I can go and google (for example) Milton Fuegy and find out that the guy who owned one of my cards was born in 1897, which means that he may have been 12-14 when he got the card, and that he ended up drafted for WWII as part of the "Old Man's Draft" in 1942, and whatever other stuff Google would've told me if I'd clicked more links. It adds a richness to the card's history for me.

Having some modern collector's stamp would be a huge turn-off. It adds nothing to the card's historical interest value.

Important collections get denoted on the flip. I like that suggestion as a way of leaving a modern collector's "mark" on their collection.

clydepepper
09-06-2015, 05:39 PM
I'm glad I'm in the majority on this one - I certainly would never feel worthy of doing such...even if I thought it was a good idea.
Now, if little Bobby Jenkins put his initials on a card given to him by his father (out of the cigarette packs) in 1909 - that would be okay.

- come to think of it, I think I'll go get the urge out of my system - with some Topps Archives commons. lol

Joshchisox08
09-06-2015, 06:53 PM
You can have your named added to the flip, assuming the card stays in the flip everyone will know it is/was yours without defacing the card.

Interesting I didn't know that.

Not surprised at the flack I'm receiving about this. I know it would hurt the value but I don't care about that. I'm just thinking someone in 100 years will be like who the hell was that guy.

Maybe I'll only do a couple.

Jobu
09-06-2015, 10:42 PM
I dig stamped T206, I think I have at least two, but list me among those who are against putting new stamps on them. I think it will turn almost everyone off who knows it is a modern stamp - value might not be a huge concern now, but being unable to sell/trade what you stamped might end up being important at some point in your collecting life. Plus, if people start doing this it might decrease interest in vintage stamps because the question "well, did Josh just stamp this 3 weeks ago?" will have snuck into people's minds.

One more thing -- please don't stamp any of those beautiful signed cards!!!!

bobbvc
09-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Am I the only one who finds it odd that filming a burning of a T206 tested higher than back stamping a few?

Joshchisox08
09-07-2015, 05:43 AM
Am I the only one who finds it odd that filming a burning of a T206 tested higher than back stamping a few?

Nope I'm with you on this :)

Good question though. Not sure of the answer though :confused:

obcbobd
09-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Sorry, compared to burning a full card, a stamp on the back is nothing. Now if he was going to do a Groucho mustache, eyebrows and glasses on the front that would be different.

freakhappy
09-07-2015, 12:05 PM
You can do what you want with your cards, but count me as one that would not "mark" any of my sports cards. Back in the day, marking sports cards wasn't a big deal...it was a way to show ownership of your collection (I believe [emoji3]). To do it nowadays is like topps selling manufactured patches...why o why would you make fake patches?? Also, sports cards weren't really valuable or looked at nearly the same way they are nowadays. They were thrown away most of the time or given away to kids. Just totally different perspective in today's world concerning them.

Although I know it's not the end of the world or anything, I believe it seems like a selfish move to do something like that nowadays...to purposely deface an antique doesn't seem ideal.

Either way, thanks for starting this topic so we could discuss it

t206blogcom
09-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Terrible idea.

bnorth
09-09-2015, 11:32 AM
They are your cards, you paid for them. Do what ever you want with them. In another 20-100 years maybe someone will try to collect cards with your back stamp. They are just mass produced baseball cards not 1/1 works of art.

jrlebert
09-10-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm sorry, but I guess I just don't get it. Burning cards? Stamping cards?

Why? What this site has been so incredible for is preserving and passing on the legacy and history behind old pasteboard. Between Leon, tedzan, and many, many others on this site, some of the posts contained on net54 have become a part of the historical narrative and catalog of information on both the most collected and obscure sets. Why are we attempting to destroy or distort cards from these sets?

Like I said, I guess I just don't get it, but count me out.

bn2cardz
09-10-2015, 10:44 AM
I've devoured part of The Monster this year going from probably 30 cards to 215 now.

I've had a process that I wouldn't buy raw cards. Well that changed as I became good friends with Luke Keeler who has a great Sovereign collection going on. He submitted my raw cards to PSA for me.

We have a poll thread about burning a card but this is something different. Something I highly doubt has EVER been brought up or thought of on this thread. I think I already know what I'm going to do but I'd like a poll anyway.

Some of you collect them and I happen to think they're pretty cool myself. I'm talking about Stamping the back of Raw cards with my own personal stamp before grading them. Of course the qualifier of a (MK) will be attached which doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I think it's really cool how people stamped their own cards a from who know's what year 10-100 years ago from owning it. I could put my stamp on my raws before grading and someday someone will know they were from my collection.

I do have 215/524 so I have a good dent. I will NOT crack open any slabs though.

Thoughts ????????

It's not really a unique idea, as you said there are lots of people who have done it, maybe just not in a few decades. But, I've thought about it, too. Especially with the signed T206s, where the value is all in the signature, and my stamp on the back,wouldn't hurt it a bit!

As T206Collector said it isn't a unique idea. As a matter of fact he ran the same poll in 2012 and the results seem to be very similar.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=155959

Joshchisox08
09-11-2015, 07:10 AM
As T206Collector said it isn't a unique idea. As a matter of fact he ran the same poll in 2012 and the results seem to be very similar.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=155959

I should re-phrase as in unique to the time period. Nobody is doing it nowadays that I know of.