PDA

View Full Version : what causes sharpie sigs to do this?

hawaiian bam bam
09-04-2015, 11:10 PM
hey guys,
i was wondering what makes sharpie fade/skip like this signature does? does sharpie fade over time? i have seen tons of sharpie autograph signatures that seem to "skip" in the signature like this. (almost looks like the sharpie ran out of ink while signing) what causes signatures to look like this one? thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy204/HawaiianBamBam/yaz.jpg

HOF Auto Rookies
09-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Pressure of the sharpie usually would cause those streaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taxman
09-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Probably left cap off to long or did not warmup sharpie prior to use. I always use staedtler markers.

Klrdds
09-05-2015, 09:22 AM
I have seen this before with his signature many times on pictures in sharpie and baseballs in ink . The problem is his "Y" is so long and drawn out that the sharpie or pen does not keep the same pressure on the picture or ball throughout the formation of the "Y" resulting in this signature quirk at times.

hawaiian bam bam
09-05-2015, 06:42 PM
thank you guys for your help with this and for the clarification. when i see autographs like this one, i always thought this meant that sharpies fades away over time. and i also have seen some sharpie"bleed" into the photo or postcard. so i appreciate you clearing that up for me.

Exhibitman
09-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Some sharpie markings do fade over time, especially the color ones. I had a photo signed display in my office that faded significantly due to the UV rays from the fluorescent lighting. Yet others don't. A secretarial Sean Connery I stupidly purchased has been on the wall in my office for 17 years without showing any signs of diminution.

khkco4bls
09-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Or the ink can't keep up with the speed of the signature being done

dgo71
09-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Or the ink can't keep up with the speed of the signature being done

That's the case here. This happens a lot with brand new sharpies that haven't been worn in a little. Whenever I grab a new sharpie, I break the tip in just a little by scribbling on the back of a checklist card or something. Once they get flowing you don't get this problem that much, but if someone signs fast (especially with lots of loops) and/or presses down hard on the pen while signing, they are more prone to streak. Also, sharpies will streak more on non-glossy cards that cards with a glossy finish.

Sharpie that fades doesn't usually look like the pen skips. The blue just turns into a muddled greyish-purplish color but the ink is still consistent throughout the signature.

hawaiian bam bam
12-27-2015, 06:42 PM
so is the group consensus, that sharpie DOES fade over time? thanks

David Atkatz
12-27-2015, 11:26 PM
I use a Sharpie for addressing packages. The only thing it's good for.

jimjim
12-28-2015, 05:15 AM
That's the case here. This happens a lot with brand new sharpies that haven't been worn in a little. Whenever I grab a new sharpie, I break the tip in just a little by scribbling on the back of a checklist card or something. Once they get flowing you don't get this problem that much, but if someone signs fast (especially with lots of loops) and/or presses down hard on the pen while signing, they are more prone to streak. Also, sharpies will streak more on non-glossy cards that cards with a glossy finish.

Sharpie that fades doesn't usually look like the pen skips. The blue just turns into a muddled greyish-purplish color but the ink is still consistent throughout the signature.

Steadtler also streaks with loops. Most of the Frank Thomas HOF postcards signed with steadtler have a bit of streaking in the loop part of his signature.

dgo71
12-28-2015, 12:35 PM
so is the group consensus, that sharpie DOES fade over time? thanks

No, they do NOT fade over time. They will fade if the surface of the item that was signed is porous (i.e., a baseball, which will allow the ink to continually bleed until the signature disappears) or if improperly stored and exposed to light. I have cards that were signed 30 years ago that still look as if they were just signed, and have never experienced a problem with sharpie magically fading away. The "streaking" problem you showed in the Yaz example is not the same thing as "fading." That Yaz looked like that the instant it was signed, the streak didn't appear over time.

Steadtler also streaks with loops. Most of the Frank Thomas HOF postcards signed with steadtler have a bit of streaking in the loop part of his signature.

In my experience Staedtlers streak far worse than Sharpies.

hawaiian bam bam
12-28-2015, 01:53 PM
i only ask because i have autographs signed in "blue" sharpie, from 15-20 years ago which the blue now looks like muddled greyish-purplish color. all stored in the dark out of sunlight.

indy500autographs
12-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Sharpies do "bleed" on certain types of photo paper. The "dry" photo paper being used by some labs seems to "bleed" more than other papers.

dgo71
12-28-2015, 06:54 PM
i only ask because i have autographs signed in "blue" sharpie, from 15-20 years ago which the blue now looks like muddled greyish-purplish color. all stored in the dark out of sunlight.

Can't imagine how that happened. The first card I ever got signed back in the 80's looks exactly the same today as it did then. Can you post scans of the signatures you are referring to?

hawaiian bam bam
12-28-2015, 07:20 PM
i have a ton of them, ill try to get pics posted when i get a chance. whats even more weird is the very first autograph i ever got in sharpie back in the 1980's looks perfect still to this day! its weird how some cards fade and some dont.

i totally understand that with photo paper it bleeds, but cards are printed on the factory card stock shouldnt bleed./fade.