PDA

View Full Version : Normal color variance, or missing color pass?

Luke
09-04-2015, 10:44 PM
I picked up the Jordan portrait on the right because I thought the color looked odd, and the price was fair. I figured it might just be the scan, but it is in fact much lighter than others I have seen. I know there can be a decent amount of variance in shades. Griffith portrait for instance can vary from light orange to almost red. What do you guys think?

iwantitiwinit
09-05-2015, 04:50 AM
I think its a little light as compared to the card on the left, nothing special in my opinion.

Pat R
09-05-2015, 05:34 AM
Hi Luke,

I agree with Rob, you will see shade variations in most T206's when you put
a group of them together and the light blues are one of the colors that stand
out the most.

steve B
09-05-2015, 06:26 PM
But, look at the shoulder area on the left of the card. The right card has no blue there. And the background to me looks lighter - I think because the light blue is missing from under the darker blue.

The face may also be missing peach/tan

One of the things I have come to look for on a missing color T206 is two colors missing. Nearly all the ones I think are not from either printing problems, fading or a changed design are missing two colors at least.

That's one of the bits that also makes me think they were done on two color presses.

Steve B

Luke
09-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks Steve. At first I noticed the very light blue, but then I noticed that his face seemed to be missing color as well. You explained what I thought I was seeing really well. Much appreciated!

If you come back to the thread:

How common/uncommon are cards like this? Did if occur more often in the earlier print groups, or is the distribution pretty linear?

atx840
09-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Nice thread, often it looks like a "detail/shading" layer is missing on the P150s.

It's odd that Jordan is often found miscut, like the green Cobbs.

Brian Weisner
09-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey Chris,
I have lots of funky Jordan's... Here are a couple

Hope you are well Brian

http://photos.imageevent.com/cardsales/t206piedmont/large/Image%20_396_.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/cardsales/t206sweetcaporal/websize/jan2010%20047.jpg

steve B
09-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks Steve. At first I noticed the very light blue, but then I noticed that his face seemed to be missing color as well. You explained what I thought I was seeing really well. Much appreciated!

If you come back to the thread:

How common/uncommon are cards like this? Did if occur more often in the earlier print groups, or is the distribution pretty linear?

Anytime.

They're not all that common, but they don't get as much attention as the more spectacular ones.

I have a Beck SC350 that's missing pink and gray
And two odd ones, Wiltse portrait and Huggins that seem to be missing pink and maybe another color but it's harder to tell. Both 350s. It gives them a very washed out look.

There's a few 350's that look odd like that.

Adding to the problem of picking them out are the 350's that apparently are missing red deliberately. Dygert comes with and without a sort of lipstick look. Neither is at all hard to find. And I'm sure there are others.

I don't have much info about whether they're tougher for any particular print group. I'd have to think they're a bit easier for the 350's since there are so many 350's overall.

Steve B