PDA

View Full Version : 1913 National Game WG5

Vintagecards1914
09-02-2015, 08:44 PM
I was just wondering if their are any members who can give me some insight on the 1913 national game set.. They look pretty cool to me, but I don't know much of anything about them. The set seem like an awesome way to collect some real big time superstar hall of famers during their playing days for a real reasonable price. I searched the blog history and could find very many post that discussed the pros and cons set. Im assuming the cards must be made from some pretty resilient paper after seeing all the super high grades, and they must have made a bunch.. Thanks for your time and expertise everyone

Peter_Spaeth
09-02-2015, 08:52 PM
They are often found in high grade because they have rounded corners. They are playing cards.

Vintagecards1914
09-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Oh, that makes sense.. I bet they were a big hit with kids back in 1913, the photos are really nice for the time. I wouldn't mind adding a joe Jackson or Cobb from this set just to have them as cool additions to my collection

Leon
09-05-2015, 10:06 AM
Oh, that makes sense.. I bet they were a big hit with kids back in 1913, the photos are really nice for the time. I wouldn't mind adding a joe Jackson or Cobb from this set just to have them as cool additions to my collection

and a great looking Cobb or Jackson won't set you back near as much as most period alternatives...(not mine anymore)

http://luckeycards.com/pwg5jackson.jpg

drcy
09-05-2015, 12:29 PM
The cards are nice cards for their affordable price. I've always liked them. Better looking than many strip cards, that's for sure.

Not only do they have rounded corners but they are playing cards that were sold in a boxed set. Those are the reasons why they come in high grade.

Most reprints and fakes are easily identified by the corners. The fakes and reprints are usually of different size/curve. You can tell the difference via online comparison.