PDA

View Full Version : T206 Sacrifice by Fire

T206Collector
09-02-2015, 09:49 AM
I am toying with the idea of putting some T206s out of commission - permanently. Lots of people say there are too many anyway. I thought it might be sadistic fun to destroy one entirely. Take it out of circulation forever. But, it got me thinking that there might be some pretty strong opposition to this, even for the rat-chewiest of beaters!

So, who wants to see me take video of a burning authentic T206 card? Who would be offended? Who is offended just by the poll?

edhans
09-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Stupid idea. Give it to a kid, or someone else who would appreciate it.

packs
09-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Agreed. There's lots of currency in the world too. If you get bored of yours I'll take it.

egri
09-02-2015, 10:25 AM
It's your card, and your prerogative to do what you want with it. I don't know if I'd burn it if I was in your position, if I really wanted to do harm to a T206, I'd much rather take a few total beaters and play the game where you flip them against a wall and keep the ones your card lands on top of.

sycks22
09-02-2015, 10:29 AM
I agree, give them to some kids. It'll be the one thing they'll own that's not on a screen.

Bestdj777
09-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Even a beater has some monetary value to it. If you don't care about losing that money, it is your prerogative. But, I'd think it would be a better idea if you either gave the card to some kid or sold it and gave the money away if you really don't want it in your collection anymore and don't care about the money. It survived 100+ years, and there is something special about that.

Leon
09-02-2015, 10:34 AM
I am being devil's advocate but if you can sacfrifice one, very common beater, and get some good out of it, then why not? Maybe you could measure the heat it puts out so we can know the intrinsic value of a card (assuming it's all there). Or maybe analyze the way the paper burns compared to something else. If it's one card, and a thousand people watch it and we get some good from it, I don't think it's the worst thing. Of course everyone else has very good points too. I am almost always for the best preservation of relics, otherwise.

egri
09-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Just had an idea: for the cost of a few good T206s you can buy a crapton of '80s junk wax, and have a good size bonfire. There may nor may not be too many T206s, but there's definitely too much from the junk wax days lying around.

ullmandds
09-02-2015, 10:41 AM
burn out the day...burn out the t206!!

EvilKing00
09-02-2015, 10:41 AM
im not a t206 collector, but im sure you giving it to someone or to a kid would be a better idea. history shouldn't be destroyed imo.

T206Collector
09-02-2015, 11:03 AM
A related thought was to hold a T206 captive and threaten to burn it unless someone bought it from me for $25. Not saying these are good thoughts, necessarily, but I got to thinking what the attitude of the forum would be about it, which is why I started the poll.

I assume that most people would say preserve the relic as a historical artifact, and that we are just holding them for the next generation of collectors.

vintagebb2014
09-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Here is my idea. I would highly recommend that you purchase up the 10,000+ T206 reprints that clutter up Ebay and burn them all. You would be making a video that most of us would truly enjoy watching as well as doing us all a favor by removing thousands of listings from Ebay.

tschock
09-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Or maybe analyze the way the paper burns compared to something else.

Exactly! Burn an original and burn a fake! Measure the smoke that comes of and check the color. That way we will have another way to test if something is fake or real. So if you can't tell if the card is real or fake in other ways, you can always burn it and... uh... hang on... maybe I haven't quite thought this through... :o

toppcat
09-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Maybe you could measure the heat it puts out so we can know the intrinsic value of a card (assuming it's all there).

How Sir Walter Raleigh-esque Leon!

Brian Weisner
09-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Its your property, so I could care less what you do with it...

Be well Brian

wonkaticket
09-02-2015, 11:55 AM

+1

Or grow a pair and burn one of your signed T206s. :)

Bpm0014
09-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Horrible idea. Kind of reminds me of that clown Adrien Broner (boxer) who burns $100 bills on Youtube and flushes $20s and $50s down his toilet to show how rich he is.....

t206blogcom
09-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Dumbest idea I've ever heard.

bnorth
09-02-2015, 12:53 PM
BURN IT!!! It is a very plain ugly set that is about as common as a 1990 Donruss.:eek:

darwinbulldog
09-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Horrible idea. Kind of reminds me of that clown Adrien Broner (boxer) who burns $100 bills on Youtube and flushes $20s and $50s down his toilet to show how rich he is.....

$100? Pish-posh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6q4n5TQnpA

bbcard1
09-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Just had an idea: for the cost of a few good T206s you can buy a crapton of '80s junk wax, and have a good size bonfire. There may nor may not be too many T206s, but there's definitely too much from the junk wax days lying around.

I was recently at a show where they were selling CASES of 12 1989 Score sets for $8. I thought about buying one, pulling the Glavine, and using them in my fireplace as logs, but i suspect they would not give off very healthy fumes.

boneheadandrube
09-02-2015, 01:14 PM
One rat chewy common? Go ahead and burn it, its just a "spent" baseball card...and this kid everyone wants you to give it to would forget about it as soon as something better came along. Give the kid a choice between a Bunk Congalton with no face and 1 hour of playtime with the video game he wants but doesn't have and I'd bet he'd choose the hour.

Econteachert205
09-02-2015, 01:32 PM
If you use it to light a 20 dollar cigar while on your yacht that's pretty cool.

cliftons8
09-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Think of it this way:What if someone else had one with an authentic signature and was going to burn it?
There are a lot of collectors that collect beaters and would really appreciate it as a gift.

Leon
09-02-2015, 01:38 PM
If you use it to light a 20 dollar cigar while on your yacht that's pretty cool.

Why do I see this picture...?

09-02-2015, 01:48 PM
First World Dilemma.

Peter_Spaeth
09-02-2015, 01:49 PM
I wish your 51 Mantle was centered just a hair better -- beautiful card. :p

boneheadandrube
09-02-2015, 01:55 PM

...or lighting a little cigar taken from a previously unopened Dogs Head pack.

egri
09-02-2015, 01:57 PM

At the outset of World War II, when it became evident that the Japanese were going to take the Philippines, the US garrison there was ordered to destroy several million dollars of US currency so as to keep it out of Japanese hands. One of the officers who was there remembered using a couple $500 bills to light his cigar, and dumping huge bricks of large bills into an oil drum, where they were incinerated.

Rich Klein
09-02-2015, 03:01 PM
was formed; we agreed to find a T206 Dick Egan carfd (our opinion as the ugliest player in the set) and sacrrifice the card to ensure the success of the committee.

When I started to do that at the SABR convention committee meetting, we ended up selling the card for $21 (more than I paid) for seed for one of the yearly prizes.

So, I'm owed a chance at burning a T206 caard;

Rich

pokerplyr80
09-02-2015, 03:27 PM

I would prefer this as well, or give it to someone who's a big fan of the set but can't afford to buy one.

As others have said though it's your card and your money, burn it if you wish.

Joshchisox08
09-02-2015, 03:47 PM
I am toying with the idea of putting some T206s out of commission - permanently. Lots of people say there are too many anyway. I thought it might be sadistic fun to destroy one entirely. Take it out of circulation forever. But, it got me thinking that there might be some pretty strong opposition to this, even for the rat-chewiest of beaters!

So, who wants to see me take video of a burning authentic T206 card? Who would be offended? Who is offended just by the poll?

How about you donate it to me ???? :D

T206Collector
09-02-2015, 03:52 PM
The pro-burners are a quiet bunch. Voting but not saying much. The anti-burners are much more vocal. Really interesting.

tab
09-02-2015, 03:53 PM
I know I have read posts from people asking to buy the worst of the worst t206. Someone would be willing to take it off your hands I'm sure. Let's see a pic of this beater.

Runscott
09-02-2015, 04:12 PM

I have been bored out of my mind here for months, and considering posting only in the 'Championship Rings' sub-forum; however, your post has intrigued me into changing my mind for a moment.

I think you should burn anything you want - it's just 'stuff'. Hell - burn ALL of your belongings for that matter. Yes, a video would be great. When you're done, go find enlightenment in India or somewhere similar. No one in most places even knows what a T206 is.

Peter_Spaeth
09-02-2015, 04:19 PM
You could make it into a ritual ceremony, with a reading of TS Eliot's The Fire Sermon.

jcc6252
09-02-2015, 04:46 PM
We should have a yearly T206 Demolition/Sacrifice to the All Mighty Collector Gods night. Any beater posted throughout the year would run the risk of being selected as the sacrificial lamb. Beware, Ty Cobb red background Lenox back!

jlehma13
09-02-2015, 05:22 PM
See my want list and burn one until it is within my price range. Everyone wins. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=200942

drmondobueno
09-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Burn it in a bath of 105 year old whiskey.

Sean
09-02-2015, 05:42 PM
we should have a yearly t206 demolition/sacrifice to the all mighty collector gods night. Any beater posted throughout the year would run the risk of being selected as the sacrificial lamb. Beware, ty cobb red background lenox back!

+1 :d

Sean
09-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Maybe we could start our own version of the Burning Man festival. :cool:

Mountaineer1999
09-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Burn it! Put it on YouTube and lets see how many hits it'll bring!!! :O

ctownboy
09-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Start a raffle for $1 a chance. Pick a winner, collect all of the money and then send the card to the winner. With the proceeds either buy some reprints or some new junk and burn that.

That way the card is saved and a collector gets to have it, the fictional kid doesn't have to worry about it and some crap cards are destroyed.

David

Eric72
09-02-2015, 07:19 PM
I am glad to know that, "Large Ass" Herzog did not meet a fiery demise. Please do not torch a Pre-War baseball card. Some of them go on to have a tremendous experience (or, at least, their custodians do.)

tschock
09-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Fahrenheit 206.

Jeffrompa
09-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Im only going to burn one if it smells and smokes like a Romeo Y Juliet or a Cohiba . Save the T206 !

T206Collector
09-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Okay, last variation of this theme.

Do the "Save T206"-ers feel differently if I would agree to add the ashes as a seasoning to a light meal? Isn't there just something spiritual about digesting a T206 card? Talk about T206 collecting! Becoming one with my T206. Yum. I'm starting to think I am going to have to do this. But, it does seem obscenely ridiculous.

Peter_Spaeth
09-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Ginger Beaumont would be a good choice.

hangman62
09-02-2015, 08:19 PM
I think that would be the right thing to do. Burn the cards

T206Collector
09-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Ginger Beaumont would be a good choice.

Inspired comment. Very clever. :D

Better even than Bill Burns, Bobby Byrne, Jimmy Lavender, Moose McCormick, or Wildfire Schulte!

celoknob
09-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Not clever, not funny, not sacreligious, just a really bad idea.

RCMcKenzie
09-02-2015, 11:48 PM
I voted for D. I totally disagree with the notion that if you buy something, then you have the right to destroy it (Lawyers back me up here.) You can throw it away, but destroying property is against the law, whether you "own" it, or not. This might be my least favorite thread ever, and I like T206Collector. Every card is sacred whether it's a 1990 Topps Paul Molitor or a Ty Cobb with a Ty Cobb back, imho.

Joshchisox08
09-03-2015, 05:03 AM
here is my idea. I would highly recommend that you purchase up the 10,000+ t206 reprints that clutter up ebay and burn them all. You would be making a video that most of us would truly enjoy watching as well as doing us all a favor by removing thousands of listings from ebay.

thank you :)

Leon
09-03-2015, 06:55 AM
I voted for D. I totally disagree with the notion that if you buy something, then you have the right to destroy it (Lawyers back me up here.) You can throw it away, but destroying property is against the law, whether you "own" it, or not. This might be my least favorite thread ever, and I like T206Collector. Every card is sacred whether it's a 1990 Topps Paul Molitor or a Ty Cobb with a Ty Cobb back, imho.

My thinking is unless there is a law or contract preventing you from specifically destroying or damaging something you own then you can do what you want with it. I can think of some instances that might apply (not being able to do something with something you own) but for the great majority of things I think when you own it you can do as you please. Large Ass is safe with me and looking for his next trip?

egri
09-03-2015, 07:24 AM
I totally disagree with the notion that if you buy something, then you have the right to destroy it (Lawyers back me up here.) You can throw it away, but destroying property is against the law, whether you "own" it, or not.

If that was true, then the guys from Mythbusters would never see the light of day again. Look at all the stuff they destroy on every show.

T206Collector
09-03-2015, 07:27 AM
This might be my least favorite thread ever, and I like T206Collector.

I can fully appreciate your disdain for this thread, but I have to say that the results of the poll -- and the resultant responses -- are extremely interesting, and show a lot about how passionately people feel about their cardboard treasures. I wonder, for instance, whether mild objections get stronger the better the condition of the T206; or the better the player. I take it from your post that Unglaub and Cobb are equally sacred in your view. But, if I were willing to destroy a clean T206 Cobb, a lot of posters on here would get really pissed because it's like burning a lot of money which could be used to do some good in the world.

What drives us to protect the cards is a fundamental aspect of collecting them, and I really do believe that this thread helps us understand the pursuit a little better. I have genuinely enjoyed reading all of the responses and viewpoints. It gives me a number of interesting perspectives on the hobby.

ullmandds
09-03-2015, 08:25 AM
me thinks you are misinterpreting the law...if I buy/own something...I can do whatever the hell I want with it!!!

Leon
09-03-2015, 10:07 AM
me thinks you are misinterpreting the law...if I buy/own something...I can do whatever the hell I want with it!!!

My only hesitation is if I buy a house and it comes with deed restrictions....stuff like that.....but I am a big proponent of doing what you want to with what you own (as long as it doesn't harm anyone else). I too think this has been an interesting thread which is more than I can say for a few of them :).

Pat R
09-03-2015, 01:48 PM
So is it fair to deduce that anyone that voted to burn a card should also be ok
with company's producing these cards?

T206Collector
09-03-2015, 02:30 PM

I would guess that those who voted against burning a card would also vote against cutting up jerseys and bats for these.

jcc6252
09-03-2015, 02:43 PM
From T206Collector: I would guess that those who voted against burning a card would also vote against cutting up jerseys and bats for these.

+1

Pat R
09-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought......

deduce=infer=conclude

T206Collector
09-03-2015, 03:21 PM
"So is it fair to deduce that anyone that voted to burn a card should also be ok with company's producing these cards?"

I think you can have a different vote with respect to burning a commercially produced cardboard insert designed to sell more cigarettes and the shredding of game-used uniforms and bats of iconic players for purposes of selling a commercially produced cardboard insert.

t206trader
09-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Would anyone be concerned if they cut up a jersey or a bat from a 1982 minor leaguer? What's the difference and where does one draw the line? I'm of the belief that if you own it you can do whatever you like with it.

RCMcKenzie
09-03-2015, 04:58 PM
I don't have any disdain for the thread. I am a little surprised by the results of the poll. Someone asked, "where do you draw the line?" For example, if someone like Trump started buying every Cezanne painting that came to market for the sole purpose of destroying it, is it okay b/c it's his do to with as he pleases? If the Titus collector were systematically destroying them instead of hoarding them is that acceptable? I don't believe so, but I respect the right of others to disagree with me. Rob

Mountaineer1999
09-03-2015, 05:11 PM
I don't have any disdain for the thread. I am a little surprised by the results of the poll. Someone asked, "where do you draw the line?" For example, if someone like Trump started buying every Cezanne painting that came to market for the sole purpose of destroying it, is it okay b/c it's his do to with as he pleases? If the Titus collector were systematically destroying them instead of hoarding them is that acceptable? I don't believe so, but I respect the right of others to disagree with me. Rob

I think we can draw the line at one beat up old cigarette card. If the OP was burning famous works of art, as you use in your example, or even decent T206s then I suspect the poll result would be be entirely different. This is not a developing trend, where everyone wants to run out and burn their cards. Its one guy testing the water to see what the reaction would be of destroying one $10 tobacco card.

Peter_Spaeth
09-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Great analogy. :eek:

Jeffrompa
09-03-2015, 05:54 PM
If there was a collectors code of conduct I would say ... Wait a minute there is no code of conduct .

EvilKing00
09-03-2015, 06:06 PM
We need a collectors constitution

Pat R
09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=RCMcKenzie;1448972] Someone asked, "where do you draw the line?"

This is why I posted the game used cards. A few people said if they own it then
they should be able to do whatever they want with it, then those people shouldn't have a problem with a company cutting up a uniform/bat, the fact
that it's an iconic player shouldn't matter as long as they own the item.

xplainer
09-04-2015, 04:03 PM
It's your card. Do as you wish.

You A-hole!!:D

dabigyankeeman
09-07-2015, 08:12 AM
Better you should burn the 1961 Topps card of that damn Mazeroski coming home after he hit the home run to win the 1960 world series, an example of an inferior team beating a far superior team and the worst memory for me in my life of watching sports. :mad:

Mark
09-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Legally, you can, of course, destroy whatever you own. But it is bad form to destroy a work of art or any rare antique that is appreciated by connoisseurs. But if I owned the game used uniform cards, I would probably burn them because they are the residue of such destruction. I wouldn't sell them because I would not want to encourage anyone to collect them, and I wouldn't want them in my collection.

mrmopar
09-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Generally speaking, my collection doesn't date back far enough or is not expansive enough to contain a lot of beaters. Most of my T cards are worn to some extent, but not damaged beyond displaying well. I started collecting as a 9 year old kid in 1978 and never really spent any real money on cards until after I got onto ebay in 1998 and was an adult, able to spend more. I have some cards that are just hard enough to find in any shape or are prohibitively expensive in top shape and I keep those cards with the better ones. However, mostly if the card is flawed in some major way, I don't want it in the collection. I don't have a lot of "good" cards or older cards that fall into this category, because normally I would avoid them all together, so most either came with larger lots I acquired or were mine as a kid. The problem is, I can't really seem to get rid of ANY of the damaged cards, even newer ones, so they sit together in boxes marked "damaged cards". Not much different than the good cards in my collection being stored in sleeves and top loaders in shoeboxes other than the fact that they are damaged. I'm sure the OBC gang would appreciate most of them regardless.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/mrmopar/Photos/IMG_1206_zpskpvxmajc.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/Photos/IMG_1206_zpskpvxmajc.jpg.html)

It it does eventually get burned, then the ashes must be spread across several "event burned T206 commemorative cards" that you can get one of the custom card makers to design and create. Then, like cut bats and jerseys, it can be enjoyed by many rather than just one!:rolleyes: